• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best Projectiles list

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Aura sphere isn't all that of an projectile, olimar's pikmin throw allows him to camp against just about every character. Diddy's bannana's are pretty effective to, as well as falco lasers.

Xyless

Smash Master
But as a gimp tool/recovery/overall attack, it's pretty hard to argue that Ness's PKT is better than Lucas. Lucas's PKT sends them at amazing angles wherever you want, and can hit them over and over again offstage. All Ness's PKT will do is keep you in the air, but it won't do much after that unless you combo the tail into PKT2.

Lucas's PKT is one of the best gimping tools in the game. It's really hard to argue otherwise.
I completely agree with this post. I've gotten so many cheap kills at low % just because Lucas' PKT decided to hit the opponent in the direction I wanted when they were already way offstage. Plus, it's hard to avoid.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I’m sorry I’m unfamiliar with the term “begging the question” :/
I don’t see why I can’t use this definition, after all it’s my definition so anyone can reject it if they don’t agree.

I don’t consider suit pieces a “projectile” because they aren’t created, they aren’t inherent to a character move. They just spawn on the ground, for anyone to take, and cannot be respawned like the projectiles on this list. Tires I consider the same as the Bike, creating a Bike creates the opportunity to get some Tires. Take into account the qualities of the Tires as projectiles when judging the Bike.

About Aura Sphere: I was under the impression that these are fired slowly and travel SLOW so that they are easy to avoid unless fired pointblank. Also, they need to be charged so they cannot be used to much effect as frequently as lasers and rockets can. I thought of the Super Missile as at least being hard to avoid when used twice quickly, and it hits hard without needing charging. Still, if you provide some frame data and quotes to back up what you said about Aura Sphere, I will move it up a lot.
...You do realize that projectiles can serve more purposes than simply hitting the opponent, right? A gigantic, slow-moving projectile like Aura Sphere is perfect for Lucario in that it forces people to react the way he wants them to. If Lucario wants you to say, airdodge offstage so that you recover low and are victim to his aerials, then Aura Sphere will fit that roll perfectly if it doesn't outlast the airdodge entirely. If Lucario wants to hit you as you land on the ground and are vulnerable, it's best to use a large, slow projectile than a fast one to more thoroughly cover an area. When considering camp games and projectiles, you need to look for more than just rapid-fire. Aura Sphere is the most powerful long-range projectile in the game. Aura Sphere is the absolute easiest to charge long-range projectile in the game. Aura Sphere is a projectile capable of plowing through nearly any other hitbox in the entire game at high %s including all projectiles but the four I've mentioned, while still outright killing the person behind them. Aura Sphere's rate of fire is compromised when fully charged, yes, but you have to remember that it's really not all THAT slow, and it has a release time faster than many smashes of equal or less power (19 frames when fully charged to whip it out, but probably around 5 frames for a charge-release. I'll check that. Also, Aura Sphere is capable of being muuuch stronger than most smashes in the game.)

If needed, Aura Sphere can be used uncharged, but it's generally not a good idea since it's so easy to charge, meaning that it's pretty much inexcusable for you to ever not have a fully charged sphere on hand, and landing one big sphere is much more rewarding than landing 3 or so little ones.

Also, Super Missiles should never hit anyone ever, regardless of their situation. They're even slower to come out than Aura Sphere by about 5 frames, they are extremely slow to speed up, and they can be plowed through so easily that it's as if they never even existed. You can't just plow through Aura Sphere. Aura Sphere plows through you. :\

Homing missiles are much better than Super Missiles. Aura Sphere is probably better than both. :\

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Why is sonic's spring so low? Its a great gimper and awesome for combo's if left on the ground.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I don’t consider suit pieces a “projectile” because they aren’t created, they aren’t inherent to a character move. They just spawn on the ground, for anyone to take, and cannot be respawned like the projectiles on this list. Tires I consider the same as the Bike, creating a Bike creates the opportunity to get some Tires. Take into account the qualities of the Tires as projectiles when judging the Bike.
They aren't just on the ground for anyone to take. They start out right by ZSS' feet (on most stages). Why does the inability to spawn them mid battle (without a smash ball) make them less of a projectile?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
On the topic of AS, on some characters leads to a frame trap that if they spotdodge or react incorrectly, lucario can follow up with a grab/jab/DA, thus being one of the best in terms of pressure and killpower, but lack of true control power against certain characters is it's inhibitor, but it's still a pretty solid projectile, imo better than needles or missles, but arguably up in the bomb league, maybe a little below.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Lucario's AS should at least be in the top 10. It is just too good and can be used for many different purposes.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh and IC block should differ in efficacy depending on whether there is one or two climbers still there. Sopo Ice Block kinda sux.
Edit: Actually, I think Aura sphere sits just below ROB laser

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Lucario AS though, is sort of a run of the mill projectile... you can basically say that any projectile can force an opponet to recover low. Hell, Lucas' PK Freeze forces people to recover low, but people still think of it as a bad projectile.

I also have a personal bias against energy projectiles because it adds three more characters that counter those projectiles... PSI Magnet FTW!

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Wow. You guys SERIOUSLY underestimate Sonic's spring. Second to last? Give me a break. Spring is considered by many Sonic mains to be his best move overall, since you can use it in almost any situation and it's almost always a safe bet. Sure, it doesn't limit people's options well or cause a huge amount of damage, but you can always count on it (Sonic needs as many reliable options as he can get), not to mention it's a solid gimping tool. It can also be comboed into with Spindash, as well as "combo" with the hit. into an autocancelled dair. Dropping Springs is also excellent for shield pressure, particularly out of an SDR (Spin Dash Roll for anyone who's never ventured into the Sonic boards). Finally, Spring is one of the best combo breakers in the game, almost on par with Dolphin Slash.

I would say it is better than the following projectiles:
Ness – PK Fire
Zelda – Din’s Fire
Samus – Bomb
Snake – Nikita
Kirby – Final Cutter
Squirtle – Water Gun
Mario – F.L.U.D.D.
Mr. Game & Watch – Chef
Lucas – PK Freeze
Ness – PK Flash
Putting the awesomeness that is the Spring below PK Flash is simply insulting.

Also, Luigi's fireball needs to be higher up, which is why I did not include it in this list. It may not seem good at face-value, but it's one of his most effective tools in disadvantaged matchups.

EDIT: Wtf. Why is Snake's mine on this list? I suppose you could make an argument for C4 (which I also believe shouldn't be on here) but come now. A projectile is something that physically MOVES THROUGH THE AIR. I don't know why people are arguing about things like Diddy's nanners when we have mines on the list.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
In the raw strength department though, I don't think anything compares in both damage to killpower ratio. AS definitely has that capability, and can be one of the nastiest punishers too, since it eliminates the need to space like most other moves.
Like I said though, it also gives lucario a frame trap opportunity if the opponent spotdodges, rolls, or ADs, same if the opponent shields sometimes and lucario rolls. It can also control the air decently if the opponent is in the air. It's pretty much a crappy falco laser in control power except it deals with AD just as well with its slow speed, plus has good wavebounce, punish, and kill capability.
Definitely not amazing, but it's pretty good, especially if it when it's fresh it can kill in the 90's and if the opponent doesn't have a second jump/reflecting option when landing will eat a juicy FCAS guaranteed.

One thing you have to give it credit for standing out in is its killpower though. If you think it's like "any other projectile" in that sense, try eating a FCAS when even when lucario's at his surviving average (150%) and you'll see what I mean.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Wow. You guys SERIOUSLY underestimate Sonic's spring. Second to last? Give me a break. Spring is considered by many Sonic mains to be his best move overall, since you can use it in almost any situation and it's almost always a safe bet. Sure, it doesn't limit people's options well or cause a huge amount of damage, but you can always count on it (Sonic needs as many reliable options as he can get), not to mention it's a solid gimping tool. It can also be comboed into with Spindash, as well as "combo" into an autocancelled dair. Dropping Springs is also excellent for shield pressure, particularly out of an SDR (Spin Dash Roll for anyone who's never ventured into the Sonic boards).
Its a tough call. Really I don't think it should be on the list. While it is more useful as an escape option and as an overall move than alot of the moves you list I don't think it is as useful as a projectile.

I would say it is better than the following projectiles:
Ness – PK Fire
Zelda – Din’s Fire
Samus – Bomb
Snake – Nikita
Kirby – Final Cutter
Squirtle – Water Gun
Mario – F.L.U.D.D.
Mr. Game & Watch – Chef
Lucas – PK Freeze
Ness – PK Flash
Putting the awesomeness that is the Spring below PK Flash is simply insulting.
Judging it strictly as a projectile I don't think it is better than PK Fire or Nikita. Din's, Nikita, Chef, and cutter are probably better although its kind of close. It is definitely not better than either of the water gun moves. Its better than PK flash or Freeze since both of those are pretty much useless.

EDIT: Wtf. Why is Snake's mine on this list? I suppose you could make an argument for C4 (which I also believe shouldn't be on here) but come now. A projectile is something that physically MOVES THROUGH THE AIR. I don't know why people are arguing about things like Diddy's nanners when we have mines on the list.
Agreed.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Squirtle's Water Gun being better than FLUDD?

What?

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Tien2500 said:
Its a tough call. Really I don't think it should be on the list. While it is more useful as an escape option and as an overall move than alot of the moves you list I don't think it is as useful as a projectile.
All the options I listed are using the projectile variation of the move. Snakes grenades can be placed on the grounds to limit options, and are technically not acting like projectiles in that particular circumstance, but that use is undoubtedly accredited to it in its standing on the list. :ohwell:

Tien2500 said:
Judging it strictly as a projectile I don't think it is better than PK Fire or Nikita. Din's, Nikita, Chef, and cutter are probably better although its kind of close. It is definitely not better than either of the water gun moves. Its better than PK flash or Freeze since both of those are pretty much useless.
Spring has no primary use, since it's incredibly versatile. I'm not going to list all of the available options again, but it can do the same job as many of the projectiles on this list. You can edgeguard just as well as Din's Fire or the Nikita and is not nearly as punishable. Same goes for Water Gun/FLUDD. I haven't seen nearly any use of FLUDD in edgeguarding outside of combo videos. Sonic's use their Spring a TON. I can't really describe the Spring's usefulness in theory, watch some videos or play around with it on some CPU's.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Peach can hold her turnips in her hand and can do all of her aerials at the same time. Talk about mindgames, son!! Especially when she pulls stitchface. Plus, she can also pull a Beam Sword, a Bomb, and Mr. Saturn. Boo-ya!!

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Peach can hold her turnips in her hand and can do all of her aerials at the same time. Talk about mindgames, son!! Especially when she pulls stitchface. Plus, she can also pull a Beam Sword, a Bomb, and Mr. Saturn. Boo-ya!!
But the odds of getting a Beam sword, bomb, and Mr. Saturn are slim to none. Also Lucario's Force Palm is a projectile and should be added to the list. :)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol Force palm's blast (not grab) would probably be worst than spring and PKFlash/Freeze, there's would've been a lot going for it because of it's outranging properties, except of how laaaaaaaaaaaaaagy it is and how it only comes out for like one frame lol, which I guess is a plus since it doesn't get reflected back on him, but still is a pretty garbagey move.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
lol Force palm's blast (not grab) would probably be worst than spring and PKFlash/Freeze, there's would've been a lot going for it because of it's outranging properties, except of how laaaaaaaaaaaaaagy it is and how it only comes out for like one frame lol, which I guess is a plus since it doesn't get reflected back on him, but still is a pretty garbagey move.
LOL Phil I agree but a projectile is a projectile. :laugh:

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
All the options I listed are using the projectile variation of the move. Snakes grenades can be placed on the grounds to limit options, and are technically not acting like projectiles in that particular circumstance, but that use is undoubtedly accredited to it in its standing on the list. :ohwell:

Spring has no primary use, since it's incredibly versatile. I'm not going to list all of the available options again, but it can do the same job as many of the projectiles on this list. You can edgeguard just as well as Din's Fire or the Nikita and is not nearly as punishable. Same goes for Water Gun/FLUDD. I haven't seen nearly any use of FLUDD in edgeguarding outside of combo videos. Sonic's use their Spring a TON. I can't really describe the Spring's usefulness in theory, watch some videos or play around with it on some CPU's.
Spring's ONLY good use is recovery.

Ask any good sonic main. <<

Gimping with Spring is so March 08.

The Yeti

Smash Cadet
I still think that ice climber's blizzard should be considered a projectile, gw can bucket it.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I still think that ice climber's blizzard should be considered a projectile, gw can bucket it.
I don't see how Blizzard could be a projectile. All the ICs do is shoot cold air, plus other moves such as Lucario's Fsmash for example would also then be considered projectiles, but they aren't. SmashWiki even states that Blizzard is not a projectile.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I don't see how Blizzard could be a projectile. All the ICs do is shoot cold air, plus other moves such as Lucario's Fsmash for example would also then be considered projectiles, but they aren't. SmashWiki even states that Blizzard is not a projectile.
Smashwiki is wrong.

Blizzard is definitely a projectile by any standard. It's just a close-range one.

ZSS's Dsmash is just a glorified disjointed hitbox. Lucario's fsmash is in the same boat, as well. Neither are projectiles.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Snake's Up Smash is definitely a projectile, as is Bullet Seed and Flamethrower. This list is just being picky.
Then should we consider Olimar's forward and up smashes, considering they share priority properties with common projectiles? Obviously you need to set limits.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
is c4 a projectile i mean u don't throw it.

Also i might be a little bias but i think rob's laser is better then yoshi's egg throw. If for no other reason then its ability to kill of the side. If you want more reasons i have some such as the pressure game, the ability to hit a different angles/bounce, longer distance, better at stealing jumps, if it hits someone up close it does more dmg and knock-back which can be useful.

Also are link's bomb's any good? i am really asking this is not a statement.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Link's bombs are pretty nice for his tier level, and pretty crucial to his camp game. They are in the upper middle part imo at least

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I love ROB's gyro and Snake's nades!
they're awesome!
>.<
Someone needs to take English class again.

Anyway, I think you guys underrate ROB's Gyro. Play against Mizu and you'll see why (then again I have PSI Magnet so I think less of energy projectiles...)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i have to say even if u consider the c4 a projectile (which i don't) i still think rob's gyro is better. I mean rob's top (gyro) is top tier. (hangs head in shame of pun)

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
According to this thread’s definition, suit pieces are not “projectiles”. In everyday discussion, yes, they’re definitely projectiles. But they are not part of SSBB’s moveset, so they don’t belong in this list. You have no control over where and how they appear. If I allow suit pieces, I might just as well allow Mr. Saturns and Freezies. For something as narrow as a definition, how close they are to ZSS doesn’t matter. It’s YES/NO, not CLOSE/FAR.

About mines. I have to be consequential when judging what is a projectile and what is not. I can’t use a definition and then say “hey, this doesn’t look like a projectile at all, but it fits the definition, let’s make an exception and not allow it”. Mines and laying C4 are hitboxes completely independant of their creators, no melee move has this feature, all projectiles do. Please, no “common sense” for this one. This is a definition, not a general description.

Compare Blizzard and Warlock Punch. Warlock Punch is no projectile, right? It creates a huge, squarish hitbox in front of Ganondorf for a certain duration. Guess what? Blizzard creates a huge, squarish hitbox in front of the Ice Climber for a certain duration. Both are NOT independant of their creators, the hitboxes are ALWAYS right in front of them at a set length. All projectiles can move freely away from their creators. Blizzard is not a projectile. Olimar’s Fsmash is a hitbox, seperate from its creator. But it is NOT independant of Olimar- Olimar is ALWAYS right behind the Pikmin.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
If Diddy's bananas are on the list, I think ZSS's suitpieces should be on there too.

Don't blink, or you'll lose that first stock

ZSS's Dsmash is just a glorified disjointed hitbox.
That can be absorbed.

jus say'n

Edit: lol didnt see the post above me. This guys definition of a projectile seems aaaaaaallright

Tien2500

Smash Lord
According to this thread’s definition, suit pieces are not “projectiles”. In everyday discussion, yes, they’re definitely projectiles. But they are not part of SSBB’s moveset, so they don’t belong in this list. You have no control over where and how they appear. If I allow suit pieces, I might just as well allow Mr. Saturns and Freezies. For something as narrow as a definition, how close they are to ZSS doesn’t matter. It’s YES/NO, not CLOSE/FAR.
You have complete control over when and where ZSS' armor appears. If you pick ZSS' her armor appears at your feet. It doesn't randomly show up. I've never been in an MK Ditto and been like "OMFG HOW THE HELL DID ZSS' ARMOR GET HERE?!". Unlike a freezie you know exactly when and where they will show up which means you can use them tactically. And of course it definitely is "a hitbox seperate and independant of its creator".

Plus Samus can spawn them mid match either via a smashball or taunting.

And Freezies and Saturns are absolutely projectiles when thrown. They shouldn't be included since they don't factor into standard play but they are.

About mines. I have to be consequential when judging what is a projectile and what is not. I can’t use a definition and then say “hey, this doesn’t look like a projectile at all, but it fits the definition, let’s make an exception and not allow it”. Mines and laying C4 are hitboxes completely independant of their creators, no melee move has this feature, all projectiles do. Please, no “common sense” for this one. This is a definition, not a general description.
If your definition of projectile includes mines then the definition is too broad and needs to be changed. How exactly can you compare C4 with Yoshi's egg toss and of what value is that comparison? Plus a mine doesn't even meet the English language definition of projectile.

That can be absorbed.
What does being absorbed have to do with being a projectile? Razor leaf can't be absorbed is it not a projectile?

Top Bottom