• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best Projectiles list

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering about grenade stripping today. What if Snake throws one, draws another, the target throws the first one back but Snake strips it and it falls down instead, and the target simply picks it up again right away and rethrows it? you can't strip it twice...

I judge the best anything -jab, projectile, usmash- by how much MORE ridiculous MK would be if said attack were in his arsenal. It's silly, but fun to think about...

So yah...MK w/ Nanners = lolwut??
MK w/ nades, can it get much worse? D:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Mario – Fireball
Zero Suit Samus – Paralyzer Shot
Ivysaur – Razor Leaf
Luigi – Fireball
Snake – Nikita
Zelda – Din’s Fire
Squirtle – Water Gun
Mario – F.L.U.D.D.
Sonic - Spring
Samus – Bomb
Kirby – Final Cutter
Mr. Game & Watch – Chef
Lucas – PK Freeze
Ness – PK Flash
Snake – Cypher
I think Ivy's razor leaf should go down more, and Mario's a bit higher.

Why is G&W's Chef so low?! Its not a bad move at all!

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Chef is so low because you can't "attack" someone with it. You can only put projectiles in their way, making it hard for them to get past. And a multitude of reasons I stated last 2 pages. So far I see no reason to place Chef higher, even after seeing UTD Zac use the move in some matches. The hitstun seems no more than that of Falco's laser.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I was wondering about grenade stripping today. What if Snake throws one, draws another, the target throws the first one back but Snake strips it and it falls down instead, and the target simply picks it up again right away and rethrows it? you can't strip it twice...
the nade blows up in 3 or 4 sec (i heard both so not sure which is right) since most snakes cook nades there should not be anytime left after the first strip to pick it back up and throw it again. thats why when u see snake matches the opponent rarely hit snake with a nade they threw back at him most the time the snake gets hit b/c he is willing to take the dmg or he messed up. The nades being hard to use against snake is one of the many reasons they are so good.

I am not a snake main so if i am wrong correct me (but i am pretty sure this is right)

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
the nade blows up in 3 or 4 sec (i heard both so not sure which is right) since most snakes cook nades there should not be anytime left after the first strip to pick it back up and throw it again. thats why when u see snake matches the opponent rarely hit snake with a nade they threw back at him most the time the snake gets hit b/c he is willing to take the dmg or he messed up. The nades being hard to use against snake is one of the many reasons they are so good.

I am not a snake main so if i am wrong correct me (but i am pretty sure this is right)
Both options are equally effective. Mind gaming with Snake's projectiles is a large part of what makes them so useful.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I considered that option, but if I'm not mistaken the pick-up + throw animation takes less than 20 frames, so if you anticipate the strip you could spam A and do 2 throws in 40 frames or less? Isn't it unlikely the grenade blows exactly in that timespan?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You forgot to add in the frames for Snake pulling it out and throwing it in the first place, as well as your character reaching the nade and/or picking up the nade in the first place. And then there is the reaction to realizing: oh hey, I've just been grenade stripped, I better pick it back up and throw it. And that's assuming Snake didn't cook the nade at all.

DUB

Smash Lord
I would honestly move T-Jolt up. The spark (little ball when done aerially) has good knockback ( will take Snake out of cypher) and does around 8-9%. Also, when T-jolt is on the ground it interacts with other projectiles oddly and will go through some of them.

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
Lucas' Pk Freeze is much better than Kirby's Up-B and ZSS' paralyze shot (-_-). Pk Freeze is useful to punish air dodges and for edgeguarding aswell. DK can't do anything when hes trying to come back...

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I don't think PK Freeze is fast enough to punish airdodges with, unless you mean you use it then wait for an airdodge, in which case I say it's pretty hard to airdodge into, you usually have better options.
I don't think DK should have much trouble avoiding PK Freeze, especially when you consider his UpB has invincibility frames.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Final Cutter and Spring should both go above Fludd imo. Fludd is too slow unlike Water Gun, harder the charge up, and hardly helps out. Final cutter gives you a bit more mobility to not be punished after it and Spring can be used for edgegaurding and giving yourself a safe landing.

humble

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong - Banana Peel This is an item not a projectile
Snake – Grenade This is an item not a projectile
Falco – Laser
Samus - Suit Piece This is an item not a projectile
Olimar – Pikmin Throw
R.O.B. - Gyro This is an item not a projectile
Pit – Palutena’s Arrow
Toon Link – Bomb This is an item not a projectile
Link – Bomb This is an item not a projectile
Yoshi – Egg Throw
R.O.B. – Laser
Peach – Turnip This is an item not a projectile
Lucario – Aura Sphere
Sheik – Needles
Ice Climbers – Ice Block
Lucas – PK Fire
Pikachu – Thunder Jolt
Fox – Laser Shot
Lucas – PK Thunder
Wario – Bike/Tires This is an item not a projectile
Toon Link – Boomerang
Link - Gale Boomerang
Ness – PK Fire
Wolf – Blaster
Snake – Mortar (Usmash)
Toon Link – Hero's Bow
Diddy Kong – Peanut Gun
King Dedede - Waddle Throw
Link – Hero's Bow
Samus – Homing Missile
Ness – PK Thunder
Samus – Charge Shot
Samus – Super Missile
Mario – Fireball
Ivysaur – Razor Leaf
Luigi – Fireball
Snake – Nikita
Zelda – Din’s Fire
Squirtle – Water Gun
Mario – F.L.U.D.D.
Sonic - Spring
Samus – Bomb
Kirby – Final Cutter
Mr. Game & Watch – Chef
Lucas – PK Freeze
Ness – PK Flash
Snake – Cypher

----------------------------------
Maybe projectiles, maybe not:

Olimar- Pikmin Dive (Fsmash) This is a disjointed hitbox not a projectile
Snake - C4
Snake - Mine (Dsmash)
Snake - Box (Taunt)
Ice Climbers - Blizzard
Pikachu - Thunder
Ivysaur - Bullet Seed This is a disjointed hitbox not a projectile
Diddy Kong - Rocket Barrel
Charizard - Rock Smash
Charizard- Flamethrower
Bowser- Flame Breath
Sheik - Chain This is a disjointed hitbox not a projectile
An item is something that is held or picked up, snakes nades, rob's gyro, samus's suit, ect.

A projectile is only an active hitbox that is not tied to the character. For example Falco's laser or Links bow.

A disjointed hitbox is an active hitbox that is not attached to the hurtbox, but is still actively tied to the character. For example Falco's reflector or Snakes U-Tilt.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
An item is something that is held or picked up, snakes nades, rob's gyro, samus's suit, ect.

A projectile is only an active hitbox that is not tied to the character. For example Falco's laser or Links bow.

A disjointed hitbox is an active hitbox that is not attached to the hurtbox, but is still actively tied to the character. For example Falco's reflector or Snakes U-Tilt.
A projectile is any object propelled through space by the exertion of a force which ceases after launch. By the definition of the word, they are projectiles.

humble

Smash Ace
A projectile is any object propelled through space by the exertion of a force which ceases after launch. By the definition of the word, they are projectiles.
It becomes a projectile after it is thrown/released/what not, but the fact that they can carry it and catch it or pick it up differentiates it and puts them into categories of their own.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter whether it's an item or not. If a character can create it, and it can be launched as a hitbox independant of its creator, it is a projectile thus it goes on the list. Being able to catch it does not detract from their tactical value- you can still use them to camp / whetever you do with projectiles. I don't see why it being an item means it cannot be labelled as a projectile.

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
I don't think PK Freeze is fast enough to punish airdodges with, unless you mean you use it then wait for an airdodge, in which case I say it's pretty hard to airdodge into, you usually have better options.
I don't think DK should have much trouble avoiding PK Freeze, especially when you consider his UpB has invincibility frames.

When someone's trying to recover, they must eat the PK freeze or airdodge. If they airdodge you can easily punish with something else or they fall to their death.
After PK freeze hits you can follow up with fair / bair / dair and have a kill.
DK's UP-b has only invinciblity frames in the very beginning.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
NO.

PK FREEZE is NOT a GOOD PROJECTILE.

not even halfway decent. for edgeguarding or anything.

PK FREEZE is FAIL TIER. The list has it right in that it's probably only better then cypher and PK FLASH but

who cares if flash or freeze are better? they are both like saddeningly awful fawful.

KTHNXBAI

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong - Banana Peel This is an item not a projectile
Snake – Grenade This is an item not a projectile
Falco – Laser
Samus - Suit Piece This is an item not a projectile
Olimar – Pikmin Throw
R.O.B. - Gyro This is an item not a projectile
Pit – Palutena’s Arrow
Toon Link – Bomb This is an item not a projectile
Link – Bomb This is an item not a projectile
Yoshi – Egg Throw
R.O.B. – Laser
Peach – Turnip This is an item not a projectile
Lucario – Aura Sphere
Sheik – Needles
Ice Climbers – Ice Block
Lucas – PK Fire
Pikachu – Thunder Jolt
Fox – Laser Shot
Lucas – PK Thunder
Wario – Bike/Tires This is an item not a projectile
Toon Link – Boomerang
Link - Gale Boomerang
Ness – PK Fire
Wolf – Blaster
Snake – Mortar (Usmash)
Toon Link – Hero's Bow
Diddy Kong – Peanut Gun
King Dedede - Waddle Throw
Link – Hero's Bow
Samus – Homing Missile
Ness – PK Thunder
Samus – Charge Shot
Samus – Super Missile
Mario – Fireball
Ivysaur – Razor Leaf
Luigi – Fireball
Snake – Nikita
Zelda – Din’s Fire
Squirtle – Water Gun
Mario – F.L.U.D.D.
Sonic - Spring
Samus – Bomb
Kirby – Final Cutter
Mr. Game & Watch – Chef
Lucas – PK Freeze
Ness – PK Flash
Snake – Cypher

----------------------------------
Maybe projectiles, maybe not:

Olimar- Pikmin Dive (Fsmash) This is a disjointed hitbox not a projectile
Snake - C4
Snake - Mine (Dsmash)
Snake - Box (Taunt)
Ice Climbers - Blizzard
Pikachu - Thunder
Ivysaur - Bullet Seed This is a disjointed hitbox not a projectile
Diddy Kong - Rocket Barrel
Charizard - Rock Smash
Charizard- Flamethrower
Bowser- Flame Breath
Sheik - Chain This is a disjointed hitbox not a projectile

For the sake of the practicality every item mentioned in that list should be referenced as a projectile. The list is pretty impractical without including some amazing projectiles like Diddy's Bananas, and shouldn't be messed up for the sake of semantics.

Also. Fox's Blaster should be moved down. It just serves as a way for Fox to not always have to approach and is pretty pitiful. Its important to Fox as a character but when compared to other projectiles it sucks pretty badly.

Toon Link's Boomerang should move up. It hits on the way there AND on the way back. This is a very powerful disruption that your opponent has to account for, and can be used to combo into things like U-Smash. It can also be angled and bounced off of objects. Sounds pretty valuable to me.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
The way I see Fox's Laser is that it is a damage tool and people probably underestimate how much % it can rack up in a short time. That it doesn't have knockback only means it's a bad tool to defend yourself with, but it DOES force an approach well. I think the damage part is rather hard to avoid. Can you be more descriptive about why Fox's Laser Shot should move down?

I decided not to move Dedede's Waddle Throw up. It is slow and unlike many other projectiles, its ending lag is pretty bad so Dedede cannot follow up on it, making it pretty easy to powershield and punish.

Can you edgesnap with Final Cutter like you can with Aether? Just wondering.

Also UTD Zac, I watched over 20 videos (amazing channel :O ) and came the the conclusion Chef was no different than I thought. In one case you did use a Fair one someone that got hit by bacon but in all other cases they either easily avoided it or they got hit and you were too far away/still using Chef.
Ah here is one where you used it successfully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rn39ofZbU at 1:00

Just for your information: if one more person agrees with Ike's Aether or Falco's Shine, they'll go in the list.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
sheik is crazy under played if needles aren't popping up in the top ten of most lists.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Final Cutter and Spring should both go above Fludd imo. Fludd is too slow unlike Water Gun, harder the charge up, and hardly helps out. Final cutter gives you a bit more mobility to not be punished after it and Spring can be used for edgegaurding and giving yourself a safe landing.
Fludd helps to gimp people - practically the whole cast, save a few that it actually aids in recovering like Peach and G&W.

Gimps people single handedly - Ask the Spacies, Ness, or Ike.

Creates vulnerabilities with characters that have high priority - FIHL makes matchups like Marth, G&W and Peach a little more bearable onstage with proper Fludd usage.

Helps deal with projectiles - See long list of projectiles it cancels out, and then see the items that it protects from like nades and suit pieces.

And is a good recovery tool - recovery defense, not recovery boost as you may be thinking.

Watergun also doesn't push as far as Fludd, it's just easier to charge and does damage when it's not charged. Even if I am exaggerating (which may or may not be true) Fludd DOES do all of these things to some extent. Not to put down Final Cutter or Spring, but they have fewer uses, and aren't staples in either character's playstyle.

Edit @ <3: Sheik's needles are high enough at 15th...everything projectile above it (including the needles themselves) is fantastic, and nearly interchangeable anyway.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
aything that can be caught is an item, C4 can be a projectile if placed on the moving platform of death in Smashville

Plus i think that a Falcon Kick is one because he uses himself as a projectile lol

DUB

Smash Lord
Pikmin Throw for best projectile. A crewmate was pulling whites out all day. He probably got 80% a game from whites. Almost a whole stock and that is just the white. Pikmin are too good.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
Pikmin Throw for best projectile. A crewmate was pulling whites out all day. He probably got 80% a game from whites. Almost a whole stock and that is just the white. Pikmin are too good.
HAX I TELLZ U! HAX! JK white pikmn are the worst! they are sooo hard to dodge cuz u cant even see them flying at u! but pikmn in general they have their advantages but are easy to evade by sidestepping or even by simply pressing "A" :)

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
they scare me because they come at you and their all like "Zahp!"
but i come to the conclusion the pikmin are the ultimate defense against a fully charged Charge Shot!
Grrr! -insert angry noises here- (>.<)

Waynebruce

Smash Cadet
I dont think Pk Freeze is that bad. It has ok speed and punch, and is useful so punish (even if situational). OK they suck, but at least its better than water gun, which does no damage if charged.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
PK Freeze does hav its uses like if someones invincibility goes out and their still on the edge, or ledge watev u call it, itll freeze them and knock them upwards wich stage-spikes them to their doom :D Zelda's Din's Fire isnt hard to evade btw, if someone uses it and im in the air i just use nair with some chars (like wigi for example) and it has priority over Din's Fire evem if it hits behind me. Its pretty smexy
:luigi2: > :zelda:

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I dont think Pk Freeze is that bad. It has ok speed and punch, and is useful so punish (even if situational). OK they suck, but at least its better than water gun, which does no damage if charged.
no damage =/= bad

PK Freeze does hav its uses like if someones invincibility goes out and their still on the edge, or ledge watev u call it, itll freeze them and knock them upwards wich stage-spikes them to their doom :D Zelda's Din's Fire isnt hard to evade btw, if someone uses it and im in the air i just use nair with some chars (like wigi for example) and it has priority over Din's Fire evem if it hits behind me. Its pretty smexy
:luigi2: > :zelda:
1) Thats like way situational. All they'd have to do is roll onto the stage or something cus you can clearly see when its coming. **** it he even screams "PK FWEEZE!!" xD

2) Dins was established like 4-5 posts above :p

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
lol i kno itll never happen in a real battle, i just forgot to put that it only happens against noob and level 1 thru 6 cpu cuz from then on they just jump into the stage rite after invincibility goes away, i haf to say, if someone gets KOd by PK freeze that way, they deserve to get slapped :ouch:

Top Bottom