• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Meteor Smash

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Phantasms (Fox & Falco) can meteor smash. However, they shouldn't be relied on since the opponent can recover from them easily and it doesn't become unrecoverable until very high percents (where a normal smash attack would kill) and doesn't kill until 190%+
No falco's is a no recover at about 50 maybe not for people like snake or rob but it's still strong

Waddle_Doo

Smash Cadet
I'm in love with Ness's d-air and yoyo spike, as well as Ganon's d-air. :D

(Luigi's down taunt is the spike that contains the most pimp in it. It's a fact.)

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna agree with the masses and say Ganon's dair.

Though I'll also say that Diddy and Samus have very nice meteors, and there's not enough love for Yoshi's two meteors, either. :C

skperu106

Smash Cadet
Ganon's Dair and Snake's Fair (which hasn't been mentioned yet :O) just rock because of the feeling of dominance you get :D That rumble is quite something for me. Oh, on the same logic, Dedede's up-B does nothing but humiliate anyone it hits xD

What are people's thoughts on G&W's dair? Similar to ToonLink's, but quite a bit safer...

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
I like marths dair the most since it is quick, flashy, not newbie, and strong!
And also diddys spike because it is so easy to land and still quite good. And t-links spike is just awsome if your opponent is already doomed ( off stage in falling animation ) and its strong.

Brado

Smash Lord
Ganon's is definitely the best, I managed to KO a Snake at 0% (i'll have the vid up soon).
And i don't see why people are moaning about Wolf's, once you get used to using it, it becomes really easy to use and I have performed many a spike with it.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Ganon's is definitely the best, I managed to KO a Snake at 0% (i'll have the vid up soon).
And i don't see why people are moaning about Wolf's, once you get used to using it, it becomes really easy to use and I have performed many a spike with it.
What was a Snake doing off the edge at 0%?

Glick

Smash Lord
Ness' spike has more hitstun then ganons. (lol brawl hitstun) They both pretty much kill at 0 for all characters so theres no real difference. Ganon does more damage however.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Its very risky, its a fairly weak spike, outclassed by Falco's(same power, more speed for falco's), its very risky because Wolf's bad recovery, and fast falling speed....

brinboy789

Smash Champion
actually, seriously, luigis down taunt is the best spike ._. no joke. ganon + nesses spike can be recovered @ 0 percent. luigis down taunt cannot >.<. saw this at another thread

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
THose are the funnest the kill at zero percent, always leave faces in awe

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
WTF are you talking about? Its the strongest because it kills at the lowest %. What measure of strength could you possibly be using? And what in the world makes you think its relevant?

And in case you're wondering, it's completely inescapable at 0%. What could make something stronger than that?
Strongest in terms of knockback. Luigi's dtaunt is nowhere near as impressive in comparison at 100% as it is at 0%, because its knockback literally does not increase. Honestly, there are only four or five spikes that never get stronger than Luigi's.

But Luigi's is definitely the strongest until 38%.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Umnmm

ness's is the strongest. It actually has hit stun lol. It kills at lower %'s than zelda/ganons, the other strongest.

LOL at someone saying falcos is strong. Its rather weak actually. I've managed to recover from one at 180% with DDD in teams once.

Snail

Smash Lord
We're talking about the best meteor smash, not the strongest. Luigi's taunt spike is awesome but it's nearly impossible to hit with.

Now, for the best spike... I'd say Diddy.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
People. stop saying that Ness/Ganon has the most powerful Meteor Smash. If your just factoring in power, than Luigi's Down Taunt is the strongest (It KO's through the pirate ship's water at 0% while Ness and Ganon need to be at about 40% IIRC).

Both of them definitely have the most usable spikes in the game though. I'd say Ganon wins over Ness for how fast it comes out , but that's just my personal opinion.

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts on Game & Watch's dair meteor, is that it is definitely much safer than Toon Link's. Not as powerful, but because it's safer and still has good power, perhaps higher in quality?

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
ive meteor smashed with ganon at under 40% at the pirate ship easy with ganon, from 0% when there in the water it seems to take two and there gone, unless your talking about 40% after all is said and done, i guess that makes since but im still pretty sure ganon can kill them at well under 40% after all the damage is applied.

It just seems like the most effective and powerful smash, and it has a huge hitbox that will spike no matter where it hits.

*little off topic but has anyone noticed that if you dont hit with his feet it doe less damage or am i not paying attention cause ive noticed ill hit with his feet and do 22- 23 and then hit with his beard and do 17%.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I think if we consider recovery ability in conjunction with spiking (which makes sense since you're off the stage), then Samus is a contender with her nice vertical up-b. Thoughts?

rob.bot64

Smash Rookie
ice climbers favorite meteor, works really well after alternating grabs to the edge, then jumping with nana and fairing while popos grabbing.

Gindler

Smash Champion
actually, seriously, luigis down taunt is the best spike ._. no joke. ganon + nesses spike can be recovered @ 0 percent. luigis down taunt cannot >.<. saw this at another thread
Ha, I've killed at 0% with ness's spike. They have to be at stage level though (which is the only way you'd even pray to hit with luigi's anyway).

I'd have to say the best is samus's in all honesty. Sure luigi has a strong but only landed on noobs spike. Ganon has one that can kill at grounded opponent off the top at 100ish (like 80 with mk). Ness has one with insane hitstun. However with ganon and ness I've seen people fast fall the spike by mistake and kill themselves. FFing with samus is no worry since there's almost no difference and her recovery is good enough to get back anyway, her dair also makes like a huge fan-like hitbox that always sweetspot (unlike ness'). Overall that one move is the reason I love using her in doubles.

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
I think Marth has the best spike just because his is the hardest to use in the whole game.
Not true i think his is easy very very very VERY! easy!
try doing ike's or toon links and tell em it's hard

Chaco

Never Logs In
Meteor Smashes are all fairly weak and lame

Meteor Splashing is where its at (which only Magikarp can do =D)
I would like you to all see his sig, which has a demonstration of meteor splashing.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
"Best" as a criterion is too subjective.

Both Ganondorf and Samus have the "best" meteor smashes in the game, but for very different reasons.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ness has more hitstun and therefore kills at earlier %'s amirite? i thought that was concluded already

as far as damage goes, ganon's is better

Mezerian

Smash Cadet
Just as a balance between power and viability, I'd personally think that Ness's spike is the most useful.
His aerial prowess allows him to maneuver to where ever with only his first jump. He can attempt his spike, use Psi magnet to get back to the edge if necessary, and/or follow up with a PKT2 for good measure.
Is Ganon limited in his spiking abilities due to his movement restrictions at all? Any Mainers with insight?

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Is Ganon limited in his spiking abilities due to his movement restrictions at all? Any Mainers with insight?
Less than you'd imagine. All of his lateral aerial movement is slow and limited, but his Dair has a nice big hitbox through pretty much his whole body and a little in front. Playing with meteor smashes beyond the ledge is pretty forgiving due to this big hitbox. e.g. Sometimes you can connect a meteor smash with your head to your opponent's lower half passing above you.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Best: Weegee.
Most useful: Samus.
Most badass: Ganondorf
2nd place in both useful and badass: Ness
Highest tiered character with a useable spike: Falco
Highest tiered character with a spike: Snake (Don't bother spiking, though. <<)

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
Donkey Kong's Fair > all

seriously how can you guys have pretty much missed that?

Top Bottom