• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Top Tiers and Bottom Tiers can both be equally hard to master, it all depends on a user's fighting style (example: Marth is the kind of character that has to get a lot of hits on but has blazing fast moves, Ganondorf is the kind of character that has to get a few skillfully placed hits on to take someone out but often has a harder time evading and recovering)
........ LOL?

DQSV

Smash Rookie
Tools that are no good require more skill. Being able to win with Bowser/Mewtwo/Pichu is way more impressive than winning with broken characters like Fox/Falco/Sheik/Marth.
uhh not really. most low tier characters are just based on well spaced spam since they usually only have a few good moves. dire is not impressive b/c he wins with g&w, hes impressive b/c he places high

Sliq

Smash Master
Link is awesome, because you just throw a bunch of **** at someone until you can hit them. It's awesome.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Jiggly****** is awesome too, because you just fly around doing nothing until you can hit them. It's awesome.

:p

Binx

Smash Master
The most honorable character is Marth because he wears honor in Tiara form. Every match you win against Marth is one that he let you because he is honorable.

Sliq

Smash Master
Jiggly****** is awesome too, because you just fly around doing nothing until you can hit them. It's awesome.

:p
I wasn't being sarcastic. I secondary Link, and projectile combos are awesome.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Roy and Link are......Roy and Link. They're two lame *** characters that people love because of teh ph1r3 and their swords. Pretty much the same preteen idolization orgy that Shadow and Cloud get. Not really unique low tier characters.

But on the subject of playing low tiers, people say it makes you unique because.....it kinda does.

I mean the whole honor thing is stupid yet plausable too. Why convince someone to change their character to increase their chance of winning? I don't want to be forced to change my Kirby pick because he's about to get ***** by Marth.

Aside from that, high tiers aren't really unique because so many people use them because of their high tier....ness. Once SHL was gaining speed, didn't Falco usage fly up? I do feel almost as I've sold out and picked a higher tier character just to counter my opponent opponents high tier choice. Picking high tier just makes it seem like you picked whatever choice that would make it easier to win. IN SOME CASES.

Sliq

Smash Master
Roy and Link are......Roy and Link. They're two lame *** characters that people love because of teh ph1r3 and their swords. Pretty much the same preteen idolization orgy that Shadow and Cloud get. Not really unique low tier characters.

But on the subject of playing low tiers, people say it makes you unique because.....it kinda does.

I mean the whole honor thing is stupid yet plausable too. Why convince someone to change their character to increase their chance of winning? I don't want to be forced to change my Kirby pick because he's about to get ***** by Marth.

Aside from that, high tiers aren't really unique because so many people use them because of their high tier....ness. Once SHL was gaining speed, didn't Falco usage fly up? I do feel almost as I've sold out and picked a higher tier character just to counter my opponent opponents high tier choice. Picking high tier just makes it seem like you picked whatever choice that would make it easier to win. IN SOME CASES.

I play characters I like. I like Mario, Marth, Kirby Fox, and rarely Pikachu and Captain Falcon. But my only halfway good chars are Kirby, Mario and Marth. So say I wasn't having my best day with
Said the man with no chips.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Tier *****!

<3 Crad.
lol, call it what you want, but after getting 3-stocked by everybody I play, and losing every single G&W ditto EVER, I realized that maybe I just suck at G&W so I decided to main my other two best characters, who just happen to be higher tier >__>

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Maining a low tier makes you unique, because of the definition of unique--not being common. Unless everyone you know mains them as well.

re: Honor. There is no such thing as honor in this game. Except maybe being sheik and not CGing. So picking a low tier means that you pick a low tier. It doesn't make you a better person- it means you like that character. If you pick that character solely because it is low tier, and not only is it not honorable, but it is deliberately trying to come across that way...which is pretty dumb.

I play Doc, and I play sheik. I played Doc first, and still like using him better. But if I face a marth, there is nothing dishonorable about then switching to sheik. I spent the time learning her, just a I did Doc...

I also use pichu. If I win with him, that doesn't dishonor the opponent; I simply find Pichu fun to play as, and better than some people think. It doen't make me honorable, nor does it take this quality away from the opponent.

The only thing in this game that demands respect is how hard you try, how much you improve, and how often you win. Maining a certain character may get you respect, but only because you take that character and try your best with it. No more honorable than taking fox and trying your hardest with him, but the "rarity" of it and the added determination of using him when you know there are "better" characters can affect what people think.

Skler

Smash Master
lol, call it what you want, but after getting 3-stocked by everybody I play, and losing every single G&W ditto EVER, I realized that maybe I just suck at G&W so I decided to main my other two best characters, who just happen to be higher tier >__>
It's ok, I was kidding. I wish I could play a character better than Link well.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It's ok, I was kidding. I wish I could play a character better than Link well.
I feel the same way about Zelda.. People love my Peach for some unknown reason, yet I don't do well enough with her to have a reason to play her instead in a serious match.

TGM

Smash Lord
It may just be me but seeing fox falco marth shiek peach falcon in huge numbers at every tourney i go to for 6 years..........its kinda old. once u see a pro fox, its a fox. oonce u see pro marth.......its still a marth. when one of me pals decides to main falco or peach..................wow, whats new? its just another peach or falco.

once you see a dk beat a falcon,IC,peach.........bum

thats unexpected,neat,and it also shows what the lesser player characters can do.

neo,dire,fumi all play low tier.......its highly interesting.

i respect the people who CHOOSE to have a horrible character but yet still go out and take on/out top tiers.

marth8000

Smash Cadet
you can't be honorable by playing a low tier character but i suppose you can be unique

ProNoob

Smash Cadet
It may just be me but seeing fox falco marth shiek peach falcon in huge numbers at every tourney i go to for 6 years..........its kinda old. once u see a pro fox, its a fox. oonce u see pro marth.......its still a marth. when one of me pals decides to main falco or peach..................wow, whats new? its just another peach or falco.

once you see a dk beat a falcon,IC,peach.........bum

thats unexpected,neat,and it also shows what the lesser player characters can do.

neo,dire,fumi all play low tier.......its highly interesting.

i respect the people who CHOOSE to have a horrible character but yet still go out and take on/out top tiers.
I agree with TGM because once you see a pro high tier, you've seen em all.
But seeing pros play doesn't make it uninteresting, it just gets repititive.
But seeing something fresh and new does spice it up, but playing low tier doesn't mean you're unique or honorable in anyway, it's just that playing low tier seems kinda fresh and original.

HZ514

Smash Cadet
It's O.K. if you want to use a low-tier. Just never go the "wow I'm awesome because I'm using a low-tier whee I'm special" route. It's also a stupid thing to say that "you almost beat me with a low tier" (bolded for your emphasis) because it's your fault you chose a bad character in the first place. Losing by 1 stock using a low tier is not BETTER than losing by 1 stock using a high tier. You lost.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I play Samus. I will never play Marth of Falco because they are SOOO GD gay. Never. Ever. I also play Roy.

What did this have to do with the subject? I don't know >_>

battousai555

Smash Ace
I think that being a GOOD low tier player makes you unique. How many pro fox players can you name? Now how many pro pichu players can you name? Just my two cents...

Mama

Smash Ace
I see nothing with playing a low tier character but I agree that its not really unique since a lot of people think the same way. Back when I chose Peach I had no idea she was such a good character. I just wanted to play as someone new (back when I was shedding my scrubhood and learning the advance techs 2 years ago). I picked Peach because I was bored rotating between all the characters me and my friends were playing with. Nobody ever used Peach and I wasn't familiar with tournaments or anything like that.

When I got good I finally found out Peach was one of the really good characters. I still don't study videos of how other people play but my friends sometimes do for their own characters. If I can adapt and beat them and develop my own style more or less I'm pleased. There is, after all, only so much you can do with a character after so long.

Top Bottom