• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I just hope people don't think ALL low-tier players think they're honorable and whatever else you guys are talking about. I'm the only low-tier player I know, so maybe I'm out of the loop or something. I don't know why any low-tier players would put themselves on a pedestal just because of their character. It seems to me that the message of this thread hardly applies to any smashers in reality.

I believe that low tier characters, especially bottom tier, all have a huge gaping weakness that can be easily exploited. Sure higher tier characters have weaknesses (like Doc and Falco's crappy recovery), but they're much harder to take advantage of.
I agree. I main Falco/Fox, and have recently picked up Ganon. However, I was playing with most of the low tiers today, and I quickly realized that, ****, all low tier characters have huge gaping weaknesses that explain why they're delegated to the bottom of the tier list.

Just take, say, Kirby, for example. Has a decent CCing game and survivability, but throws aren't too great, aerials are meh (except for bair/fair), and his upB is ****ty in terms of priority. Add that to his light weight and slow falling speed, and you have a character that is easily killed.

Now take Game & Watch. Literally impossible to play defensively because he practically has no shield. After about 1-2 attacks, he's almost guaranteed to get shield-stabbed by his opponent's next attack.

I haven't really even done much in-depth research on low tiers, nor have I played them extensively, and I already know this.

But, for whatever overt reason you play a character, play to win. If you aren't playing to win, you aren't playing at all.
Bull****. You don't have to "play to win" in order to play the game.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Im a low tier player. Im the only one who mains yoshi at tournaments. In a 3 state radius(Nc,Sc,Georgia). I do think im an honarble smasher. But not in the ways yall talk about. I mean i get props for my yoshi. But its because im a good Fiing Yoshi. Not just becuase i play with yoshi. And i love getting better with yoshi. And figuring out weakness of other charcters. And exploiting them. I mean i respect people who play with Falco and Fox an other high tiers.
I think the only thing i found truely cheap is the wobble. Like thats not even fair. That allows your controler input not to matter at all. But other than that i don't consider stratgeis no matter how simple they are to be cheap. If it works then it works. O a really good low tier player is Reflex. Hes always perfoming good at tournaments. An these are some reall stacked tournaments too.

KalimariDark

Smash Apprentice
Bull****. You don't have to "play to win" in order to play the game.
In a serious match, like the matches this thread seems to be about, against human opponents, there is no excuse for not playing to win. That's the point of the game, the point of every game. Character choice can be one of the things people will scapegoat, moronically blaming their loses on something completely within their control, but they still played to win. By my comment I meant that if they weren't playing to win, then they appropriately weren't playing at all. But I guess I take this stuff a little seriously. :p

Eh, it's all off-topic now. But whatever~
No hard feelings, I hope.:lick:

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't think this would still be going on, but since it is, here's my input (again).

I main Yoshi. I do well with Yoshi, so I use him in most matches. I don't think I deserve anything special simply for playing Yoshi, but I do expect props when I play well (not just with Yoshi, with anyone).

Also, noone has even tried to answer my question from earlier. I here a lot of talk about how low tiers are worthless, but would Smash be the awesome game it is with only four characters (Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik not Zelda)?

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't think this would still be going on, but since it is, here's my input (again).

I main Yoshi. I do well with Yoshi, so I use him in most matches. I don't think I deserve anything special simply for playing Yoshi, but I do expect props when I play well (not just with Yoshi, with anyone).

Also, noone has even tried to answer my question from earlier. I here a lot of talk about how low tiers are worthless, but would Smash be the awesome game it is with only four characters (Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik not Zelda)?
I agree with you entirely plus I think that everyone plays a certain style. Like if you have fast hands and good reflexes, you'd be good at combos and could easily play marth or fox or falcon. If you're slower and better at mindgames by doing different things with the slowness and waitin for other people to create a weak point, you'd be good with ganon and Jiggly and Donkey Kong. I am a slow type who is pretty good at mindgames and I main Jiggly, Ganon and Donkey Kong but I used to play falcon being in high tier but I sucked with him even when I trained with him day and night.

With my ending statement, I believe that people do not main low tier because of bragging points, but because of their style of play. That is all

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@dark: i agree w/you to some degree-- anyone who plays the game is essentially trying to win. if you try to improve your skill w/a character you are trying to get better which translates into winning. Winning may not be your primary goal in getting better, but the best measure of skill is wins and losses (assuming you are playing good comp). So, you can't know how good you are w/o winning or losing. That being said, wanting to get better doesn't require that you not enjoy the game if you aren't winning all the time. If that's the case for you, and you're not a pro, you should take the game less seriously. It's good to want to get better, but in the end it's just a game.

Also, I don't buy the argument about style of play. Chars in this game have 3 styles-- aggressive, defensive, hybrid. It is not as though top tier chars are aggro and low tier characters are defensive. Within the tiers different characters have different styles, but these styles fall into groups. It is more likely that people select low tier characters because they like the character outside of the context of Smash-- i.e. I initially played w/Link b/c I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Chars in this game have 3 styles-- aggressive, defensive, hybrid. It is not as though top tier chars are aggro and low tier characters are defensive.
No and yes. Within those categories are contained:
aggro-fast
aggro-strong
aggro-priority
aggro-combo
counter-defensive
long-range-defensive
evasion-defensive
single-power-move
balanced-combo
hybrid-range

Aggressive, defensive, and hybrid exist among the tiers, but most high-tier characters are fast attackers, decent comboers, and high-priority.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I main Link, Always have always will, why, its definetly not a question of tier its the simple fact that Legend of Zelda is my all time favorite video games series and always will be. but Smash is fun too. many people have differnet defination of being an honorable player. just last week I was playing a smasher who considered wavedashing, L-canceling, c-sticking,edgehogging and edgegaurding dishonorable and he refused to edgehog saying it was cheap and for people that couldnt win..... he lost every match.

As for being a low exclusive player, if your doing to be uniqe/hounorable, then your not.. plain and simple. A smasher of any tier that plays to win and dosnt gloat after the fact and stays humble no matter how many wins. Somone who dosnt whine and complain or get angry their first loss, minor or major. That is an hounorable smasher.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Actually I think its the fact that your botha moogle and a ninja! anyone ever seen a ninja moogle before? I havnt.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm a Ness main because I love EarthBound. I aslo like his DjC ability and his pk fire as well as his unique recovery (well it's more unique then the other characters). I also like seeing people's faces when they see me pick Ness (even though I get 2-4 stocked by them...)

And also there's the fact that I convice all the noobs I meet that Ness is cheap.

Playing a low tier to be honarable or unique is crap. Playing a high tier character to win is crap. You should choose the character whose style you like the most, not to please other people. I chose Ness since I like his unique recovery.

BTW, just because I chose a low tier as my main doesn't mean that I don't want to win, it'll just be a little longer before I start to win.

Blademaster

Smash Cadet
humm, i have a lot of problems using ganondorf main, everybody wants chaing may main, but i still determinted to be a great ganon player, i know than ganondorf is not a low tier character, but i think than each of us have play with his favorite character, and work hard for be the best with that character , :s

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Here are the things I see as being essential to a low tier player

1. No Johns
Don't pick the character up simply as a scapegoat for you lack of skill

2. Don't think yourself superior to high tier players
Just because someone's preferred character is higher on the tier list doesn't mean you are the more "honorable" player, or the more skilled player. Conversely, don't feel ashamed to pick up a high tier character for whatever reason.

3. Don't bank on the "novelty effect"
Don't assume your opponent doesn't know how to play against your character. Also, don't assume that they'll pick a low tier character in response to your choice. Be prepared to face intelligent and skilled players rather than simply assuming you'll pull the wool over your opponent's eyes with "OMFG WTF MEWTWO O_o!?"

Link226

Smash Ace
Y wont i be surprised if the thread starter mained Fox?? :ohwell: LOL

I really ****ing hate it when people say stupid **** like it doesnt matter who u play with as a character and your opponent is a umm...Fox. I play SSBM competitively and try to go to most of these local tournaments and when my Link gets drillshined infinite, chaingrab to 100% by shieks, get shined combo by Falcos, and people stilll say some BS like it doesnt matter u suck if u lose. And its not like i choose Link so that if i lose i can pull out a BS excuse. For an example, at MLG New York i played Wes, he 2-stocked me and gave me props. He was telling me a couple things i needed to work on and i heard he never give props :laugh: So I know its not only me, the tiers are there for a reason. Its easier to say things like using low tiers dont mean anything or isnt honorable...when your using someone like Fox or Shiek. Im not saying that i use Low tiers for honor, cuz i dont i use Link hes not so Low on the tiers....but when u beat a fox or shiek, **** feels great.

I dont know y people need to deny simple ****, i think Dire should feel honored and uniqe if hes beating the **** out of people with GAW! Same goes with Chu and his IC.....whatever, but a simple fact in this thread is that most people in here thats saying using lower tier characters dont mean anything 1. mains a high tier character 2. Or just say stupid things like that for a john when they lose to a low tier character.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I wish this thread would be closed it is obvious it bears no significant substance and is only designed to stereo type low tier players. :dizzy:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Descrimination against low tier players OMG. Now we're going to have to play at seperate tournaments called "low tier" tournaments.

I agree with Uck. This topic fits in with many other posts saying things like, you pick low tier you lose, or OMG Pick F0x he is the 1337 h@x0rs. If everyone in the world only played fox-peach, the game would become stale. Besides many of the low tiers still have much undiscovered potential (Mewtwo, GAW, Pikachu) or are just unpopular (Pichu, Ness). There should be no seperation between low tier mains and high tier mains.

BTW: I do feel good when I beat a high tier with my Ness since it kinda goes against the tier list/ matchup thread.

I could write more but I'm tired.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Both ends of the stereotype annoy me, especially since I play Fox. I'm worried that if I play Fox people will expect me to play like a Smash God. I can just picture it now:

Spectator 1: Hey that guy is picking Fox, he should win since his opponent is Pichu.
Spectator 2: LOL Red is getting owned by Pichu ROFLMAO!
Spectator 1: LOL Red is using the best character iin the game and he got beat by a Pichu? ROFLMAO

I might be the best Fox/Samus/Mario/ICs/Marth I've seen and played in person but I doubt I can match up to a lot of tournament go-ers.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
As for being a low exclusive player, if your doing to be uniqe/hounorable, then your not.. plain and simple. A smasher of any tier that plays to win and dosnt gloat after the fact and stays humble no matter how many wins. Somone who dosnt whine and complain or get angry their first loss, minor or major. That is an hounorable smasher.
this is another quote that sums up this whole thread! go zodiac w00t

Shinobi_Moogle

Smash Rookie
Both ends of the stereotype annoy me, especially since I play Fox. I'm worried that if I play Fox people will expect me to play like a Smash God. I can just picture it now:

Spectator 1: Hey that guy is picking Fox, he should win since his opponent is Pichu.
Spectator 2: LOL Red is getting owned by Pichu ROFLMAO!
Spectator 1: LOL Red is using the best character iin the game and he got beat by a Pichu? ROFLMAO

I might be the best Fox/Samus/Mario/ICs/Marth I've seen but I doubt I can match up to a lot of tournament go-ers.
yeah you can people play as the high tiers but suck and people that play as the low tiers and rock. Just because someone picks Marth doesn't make him some sort of god, or even a good player at all, as I can see by my friend.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Opps, I forgot to put "I might be the best Fox/Samus/Mario/ICs/Marth I've seen in person " I better change it before I get flamed to oblivion.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Isn't the teir list based on what character does well in tournaments anyway? So it doesn't really mean anything...
I play a fox, falco, and a two sheiks regularly... Obviously I play Link. Other than one Sheik I win consistently.
Anyone can beat anyone if they work at it, which is why there is awesome players for all characters.
If you think you rock because you play fox, then you need to get over yourself, but also, if you want pitty for maining Pichu, then you're going to be very upset...

Zorga

Smash Rookie
My characters :
G&W
DK
Mewtwo

And my brothers are crying when I success beating one of their high tier with my low tier...
I just prefer my characters and by using them they became my mains... so I am not superior, I am just an unusual-chars-user ^^'
And I can't make them understand that.
I'll show them this topic >D

Terjerash

Smash Cadet
Sorry to be a little off topic here, but I couldn't find a thread to address this. Has anyone played Melee on the Wii? if so, have you noticed any differences between gameplay on the Wii and the Gamecube? When I use the Wii, it seems as though the commands take longer to process, resulting in sloppy wavedashes. Normally, I can just slide without a person noticing I even pressed Y, but on the Wii, it looks like I jump, then land quickly, then slide. Also, i play the same speed but it seems to come up slower. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem.:confused: :mad:

SoxSoxy1

Smash Cadet
I try to not b**ch,every once in a while I'll mumble something.nobodys perfect.One match I got 3 stocked because i repeatedly ran into Peach's dsmash. I was all, darn that sucks but second match i spaced better and ended up winning. All my opponent did was dsmash,i played smarter and i won yay! Then when he got up he said that Bowser is too cheap and i suck so....

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
soory SOLAR but who thinks this way?

i play low tier just cuz i like the char. not to be honorable or unique WTF?!

lol

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Use whoever you want or like it's that simple.

Actually my favorite character is probably Captain Falcon but I always go Marth because I'm either nervous to use anyone other than who I have experience in tourney with or they request to play my Marth.

P.S. my Captain Falcon is rediculously amazing.

I do use Mewtwo because I like him, so stop saying I don't just because there aren't vids or anything. I enjoy playing EVERY character except for some reason I can't use some weird characters like Ice Climbers and I'll probably never be good with them.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mew2King, don't forget Yoshi. I remember you used to say you never liked him.

Also you said something about not being too amazing with Link >.>

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No, not really xD

It would be funny if you did though (which I doubt since you will be hooked on that game harder than Melee probably).

Zoomzoomkid111

Smash Cadet
Top Tiers and Bottom Tiers can both be equally hard to master, it all depends on a user's fighting style (example: Marth is the kind of character that has to get a lot of hits on but has blazing fast moves, Ganondorf is the kind of character that has to get a few skillfully placed hits on to take someone out but often has a harder time evading and recovering)

Top Bottom