• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd say the most people play Roy and Link. Every time I meet a new smash player and they tell me which characters they use, the first bit of advice I give them is to begin to work on a high-top tier character.

...........................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

The world isn't dictated by tiers. Most new smash players aren't going to go to tournaments religiously and make more the a hobby out of this game. The game is balanced outside of the tournament scene. The teirs exist becuase of the rigerious rules tournaments have on them. The restriction creates teirs. Some guys playing Smash bros for fun between Guitar Hero and Halo 3 can use whoever they want.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Good job SmashChu for bumping an ancient topic and facepalming to a year old post.

While this thread has sprouted a whole bunch of debates that sometimes were interesting. I think this thread might need to be closed solely on how many times it has been bumped from a very long hiatus

Midboss

Smash Cadet
There were people dumb enough to think playing low tier characters was unique or honorable? Seriously, I always played Ness because he was Ness. I like Ness as a character. That said, I never really counted on winning with Ness, I just gave it a shot and saw what I could do, though lately I've been more into Mewtwo and now Samus, both of whom I'm also drawn to because they're awesome characters outside of Smash Bros.

I'm not entirely horrible with Marth or Peach though, but refuse to play Fox or Falco simply because of how butchered they were in Melee, what with the horrible voice overs that are completely the opposite of the ones in StarFox 64. I'll continue to boycott personal use of them until they bring back the good voice actors in a Smash/StarFox game, as well. Sheik, I simply don't play because everyone else around me that I play also plays Sheik, and has done so for some time already, putting me at such a severe disadvantage that I'd rather not go there, since I actually fare better against them with Samus (which seems to imply they're not very good at Sheik in the first place).

S2

Smash Lord
Its honorable to play low tier if your a skilled player who's going to win at tournaments anyways.

Or maybe that's dishonorable.

Since eseentially your pwning worse players with a purposefully weaker character.

Corigames

Smash Hero
...Samus ...whom I'm also drawn to because they're awesome characters outside of Smash Bros.
AMEN!

On subject though, I too believe that this thread should be locked. The dispute is as old as the boards. If you are good with a low tier, more power to you. If you are good with a high tier as expected, that's fine as well. Most of the time people have striking variances which almost make the individual player play those characters so uniquely that it seems as if it was a completely different character all together! I bet that if you played my Samus, the one that I have been playing for the passed few years, you may find it a difficult task to find anyone, let alone a large number, that play exactly like me. Same is true for a lot of characters; there is no one specific or correct way to play the game.

If you say that you can't play low tier or that you can only play high tier, then you just haven't met the right people yet. Go to some tournies with talent, call a money match on someone out of your league. Get your *** kicked, because it is the only way you are going to get better, and I don't care if that person plays pichu or fox. Getting your posterior handed back to you is the same either way.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Wow people are still posting in this? Anyways, the point is not that someone shouldn't play low tier characters. The point is that it's not dishonorable to pick good characters. Whitemage mentioned that Neo is well known for roy. Well, not nearly as well known as pc chris, ken, isai, koreandj, and the other "greats" who use good characters, but win. Winning makes you stand out, not losing with weak characters.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
wow this post made me nerd RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEE. it shouldn't matter whether it's honorable or not, the majority of people who play low tiers over high tiers don't do it to win, they do it because they like the character, which i guess is something most tournament players just can't understand.

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
Jesus christ, you tourney***s are stupid.

Being a "Top Tier Player" makes you even less unique or honorable. Stop thinking that just because you play with a tourney setting, you are a top player. They're the best because of skills and dedication, with a little bit of luck.

You wanna know that tiers did to Melee? All it caused was ***gotry. That's right. Melee isn't very balanced. Yeah, tiers do exist, but it's not everything, for God's sake. Is maining a low tier character for the purpose of showing people what you did a bad thing? And not everyone plays on a tourney mindset.

You're the one in denial.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Jesus christ, you tourney***s are stupid.

Being a "Top Tier Player" makes you even less unique or honorable. Stop thinking that just because you play with a tourney setting, you are a top player. They're the best because of skills and dedication, with a little bit of luck.

You wanna know that tiers did to Melee? All it caused was ***gotry. That's right. Melee isn't very balanced. Yeah, tiers do exist, but it's not everything, for God's sake. Is maining a low tier character for the purpose of showing people what you did a bad thing? And not everyone plays on a tourney mindset.

You're the one in denial.
I laugh at people who say "tourneyf@g" because the concept is a joke. "Tiers" didn't "do" anything to melee. Tiers are not a list that the makers created before the game was made; they are the most effective characters for competitive players. Yeah, using low tier characters is not a "bad thing," and I have never said that. I just said that you're not unique or honorable for using a low tier character, and likewise, people who use strong characters are not "tourneyf@gs"

SPC M. Angseth

Smash Cadet
What's funny is that people who adhere to the low or bottom tier like barnacles call high or top tier mainers "tierwhores," but what they don't seem to realize is that the term is universal. This is a conversation I had with someone the other day.

Dude: Who do you main in Melee?
Me: Peach.
Dude: Wow, you're a f***ing tierwhore. You have no honor.
Me: Right. Well, who do you use?
Dude: I play Kirby, because I wanted to play a low tier character to stick it to tier whores like you.

I proceeded to play Melee against him and whoop his butt from here to kingdom freakin' come. He said that I only won because I played Peach, despite the fact that he didn't know what L-canceling was(he said this himself).

The term "tierwhore," at its root, applies to anyone who plays a character based solely on their spot on a tier list. I think it's worse, however, when people only play low tier, because they feel the constant, never-ending need to scream about how special and honorable they are.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Why was this thread bumped?
Please don't make posts like that, they're off topic and disruptive.

What's funny is that people who adhere to the low or bottom tier like barnacles call high or top tier mainers "tierwhores," but what they don't seem to realize is that the term is universal. This is a conversation I had with someone the other day.

Dude: Who do you main in Melee?
Me: Peach.
Dude: Wow, you're a f***ing tierwhore. You have no honor.
Me: Right. Well, who do you use?
Dude: I play Kirby, because I wanted to play a low tier character to stick it to tier whores like you.

I proceeded to play Melee against him and whoop his butt from here to kingdom freakin' come. He said that I only won because I played Peach, despite the fact that he didn't know what L-canceling was(he said this himself).

The term "tierwhore," at its root, applies to anyone who plays a character based solely on their spot on a tier list. I think it's worse, however, when people only play low tier, because they feel the constant, never-ending need to scream about how special and honorable they are.
Exactly!

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I don't care/mind that low tier players think that they're unique, but i hate when low tier mains blame/john about their character everytime they lose. If you don't want to lose and think that you lose b/c of your character just pick another character and see how it goes. "Legit" Johnning is going to get harder, though.

I still beleive low tiers arent useless in high levels of play. If you're falcon and a fox counterpicks FD against you, having a good DK up your sleeve can be useful. A good marth is probably even more useful, but chances are that the fox knows that matchup very well. This can even work against high level players, Chu used to cp top level players with low tiers.

BTW, people who say that low tier chars are somehow harder to play or have a steeper learning curve are wrong. The true skill of this game is outsmarting your opponent, making the right decisions and not getting hit. This skill is unrelated to what character you use.
Claiming that a certain character requires more mindgames/is more mindgames oriented is ********, because it doesn't make any sense. (Cant be any more clear then that lol)

The only skill that could somehow be character specific is the tech skill required for that character, which easily makes fox & falco the most skillful characters in the game. Which is kind of hilarious.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Please don't make posts like that, they're off topic and disruptive.
LOL! Way to cover up your 8 month thread necromancy. SOLAR, why are you browsing and responding to threads this old?

Sliq

Smash Master
The only thing I complain about regarding playing as Bowser is that D3 has an infinite on Bowser under almost every circumstance. Not only that, but the infinite isn't hard to do, so it isn't like it isn't a possibility to be infinited 3 times.

But hey, if someone wants to be that lame then that's fine. But seriously, the game designers are ****ing ********.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Instead of being angry at a prospect just look at it in the view that people need to find their "niche".
Sometimes people know that they won't be the best in the world however they find they have a particular aptitude for a character that is low tier. So they go on a mission to become to the best in the world at that specific character.
Most people that are famous using low tiers don't use them for johns and they fully understand every implication of the meaning tier.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
The only thing I complain about regarding playing as Bowser is that D3 has an infinite on Bowser under almost every circumstance. Not only that, but the infinite isn't hard to do, so it isn't like it isn't a possibility to be infinited 3 times.

But hey, if someone wants to be that lame then that's fine. But seriously, the game designers are ****ing ********.
I feel like murdering you

Zodiac

Smash Master
I remember this topic from good ol' 2006, I wonder how much my post will change. I Main Link and sheik, and Marth and fox. The sooner you realize tiers have merit the better. just about all the disclaimers on the tier saying that its the absolute truth are only there so a riot doesn't start, Once I started maining higher tier characters along with Link I started winning more, not just because I used them in certain match ups but because I was good against those characters with link as well. because I understood them.

If you say Tiers are for Queers. then you my friend are the queer one.

EDIT: After reading the previous post's. THIS ****ING MELEE(SPARTA) BOARDS GET IT RIGHT

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
someone is unique when he is REAL good, and is impressive when they play realgood and place ok for beeing a low tier character

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sliq, every time I see you post I just can't help but picture you in a jigglypuff costume in an epic fight to the death with Skler in his Link costume.
Great, now thats gonna get stuck in my head now too :( Then Kage in his cape and red hair will jump in and ganon fair the both of them...

'Fro

Smash Lord
I play Samus, which is being considered to drop to middle of mid, around 12th or 13th in the game. I don't consider that to be unique, despite being the only Samus main in my area. I play her because I get the best results as her, plain and simple. In many fighting games, I find myself inable to use higher tier characters, because I try to autopilot with them way too much. That's all it is, really. I still respect players who manage to get results with lower tier characters, though.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
People have this misconception that they're unique and honorable just because they use a low tier character. I've seen so many people say that they won't play high tier characters because it's not unique and because it's cheap. The funny thing is, if you surveyed every ssbm player, and not just pros but every one, I'd say the most people play Roy and Link. Every time I meet a new smash player and they tell me which characters they use, the first bit of advice I give them is to begin to work on a high-top tier character. I laugh whenever someone says they don't want to be a traitor and change their main. No one really cares who you use, and if they suggest that you "stick with it" then they are not really trying to help you get better, they just don't want to face the truth that the tiers exist for a reason. Of course low tier characters are fun to use and even can be important for counterpicking, but if you ever want to play well in a tourney, learning a higher tier character is mandatory. Look at Ken. He's acknowledged as one of the best ssbm players and everyone who has even looked into pro ssbm knows of him. How many of them know of a Roy Main? Not even 25% as many. If you want to stand out, then do it by winning.
My royfoo will take j00 down

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
just play who you're most comfortable with. I know that tiers can influence a match, but they don't make or break a match. Matchups can help, but in the end, its the skill level of the player that matters.

Top Bottom