• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
I completely agree with the first post of this thread, let's all stay on topic.

Nihonjin: Nice try(didn't work), I'll be in amsterdam for school in about 3 months. how about a MM? $50 bux mr Moderator/Shiek user. Your Shiek Vs my DK(low tier). I'll bring the good smash(NTSC) so you can chain grab.

wow! StripesOrBars, just shut your mouth. your bulls**t logic isn't working. nobody likes you as it is, so don't further that by being a compleat dumb f**k. OK? OK.

::EDIT::
Thanks to everyone who is stupid and plus repped me, I'm pretty gay.

LOLOLOLOLOL Poor ignorant canadian smashers.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Nihonjin: Nice try(didn't work), I'll be in amsterdam for school in about 3 months. how about a MM? $50 bux mr Moderator/Shiek user. Your Shiek Vs my DK(low tier). I'll bring the good smash(NTSC) so you can chain grab.
What did I try and fail at?
Technically speaking I should warn you for flaming/spamming/disrespecting me wich would lead to a ban, but I don't want to...so really...just stop -_-'

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
I never said its bad to use low tiers. I said they can't win tournaments. Learn to read and stop cussing so much it makes u look bad.

And what are you talking about Earthbound360? I use all characters. Just cuz I know how horrendous certain charcaters are, that doesn't mean I only used high tiers.

I use Fox Falco, DK, Luigi, and Marth in tourney. Mostly Fox and DK but thats cuz they own.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
wow! StripesOrBars, just shut your mouth. your bulls**t logic isn't working. nobody likes you as it is, so don't further that by being a compleat dumb f**k. OK? OK.

ummm lOl?

::EDIT::
let's see here... you tell people it's a bad thing to use low tier characters. but just admited that you use one (DK).... something seems fishy here.
You dont seem to know where Doodah is coming from. He is right. it is a bad thing to use a low tier in a tourney simply because what are the chances of you landing top 4 are? low tiers should only be used to counterpick certain high tiers. Using a low tier in a tourney is basically handing over a free $20 to a high tier user thats odviously going to win. Broken characters FTW. Doodah FTW

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Thank you, NY Link players for the win. Not me.

EDIT: LOL why do people take thime to -rep people? I wonder who wrote this to me in my rep section?

"you're a compleat dumb@$$! you use ******** logic, and insult people in a useless atempt too try and conform people... just stop. nobody likes you as it is. don't further that with your bull crap.."

Hmmm? T major stop harassing me please. I've sent you many emails after those 2 very offensive eails you sent me. Just leave me be please.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Thank you, NY Link players for the win. Not me.

EDIT: LOL why do people take thime to -rep people? I wonder who wrote this to me in my rep section?

"you're a compleat dumb@$$! you use ******** logic, and insult people in a useless atempt too try and conform people... just stop. nobody likes you as it is. don't further that with your bull crap.."

Hmmm? T major stop harassing me please. I've sent you many emails after those 2 very offensive eails you sent me. Just leave me be please.
thats a good one. lol i wonder who sent it as well.

anway, while i agree that they are a money waste in torneys, i still say let people play what they want. in tourneys, thats why i use annnything but my main low tier character.

T-major

Smash Champion
haha! I'm glad I put bars on my ignor list.

let's see here... you tell people it's a bad thing to use low tier characters. but just admited that you use one (DK).... something seems fishy here.
You dont seem to know where Doodah is coming from. He is right. it is a bad thing to use a low tier in a tourney simply because what are the chances of you landing top 4 are? low tiers should only be used to counterpick certain high tiers. Using a low tier in a tourney is basically handing over a free $20 to a high tier user thats odviously going to win. Broken characters FTW. Doodah FTW
no, he's not right. and neither are you. you also seem to think people shouldnt be alowed to play as low tier characters. which is far from the truth. look at all the people who win tournaments ueing low tier characters. if people are good enough with there Low tier characters, they can win. thats the whole reason people use them in tournements. because they want to see if there good enough to win againced a high tier player. if you want to try and proove your skill to people, that dosn't seem like a waste of money to me. even if you do lose, it proves you have enough guts to try your best. regardles of the odds. and if you do win, that logicaly means your better then a lot of people.

people like you seem to think of the tier like a game of rock-paper-scissors. and that picking a certant character instantly means your going to win. just because a character is higher on a list, dosn't mean they will instantly win (which has been proven by players like Taj, and the like). so it's not 'obvious' that a high tier character would win againced a low tier. in fact. it incredably illogical.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I like the doodah.

also everyone is skipping my posts, are my arguments so sound they can't be broken, because if thats the case why is there still arguing going on?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
You'll be handing the entry fee to a much better player by entering a tournament if you aren't as good as the people who win it. It doesn't matter what character you used. If you suck, you aren't going to win. Play with whoever you win with. If you win with low tiers then play them.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
You play those characters right, so you know it's easy.
No I'm kidding guys that's sarcasm, of course he doesn't play high tiered characters, he thinks they are easy to use.

Characters like fox and falco are way hard to pick up than say bowser. The dexterity of the mind and hands alone are enough to keep me from even concidering playing either of them compeditively. Characters like Samus and C .falc have a way higher learning curve than a larger portion of the cast. And me I can actually do this comparision because I play all of the characters in the game at an above average level. I don't think I know what I'm talking about, I do.

(Just a warning here don't want to surpize anyone, last thing we need is wet pants, but I'm going to bold the words "casual" and "compeditive" in hope of getting the message accross clearer, actually to be honest thats what this parentisized secion is here for too. Boy, am I clever or what)
Like i was saying the difference between casual and truely compeditive. If you run track do
you get on the field with leg weights and call everyone who isn't wearing them wrong? If you don't play basketball with a hand behind your back are you a wimp? No.

If you want to put yourself at a disadvantage fine, I do it often myself, but understand that it is just that. Low tiered characters are low tier for a reason and it's not because they are hard to learn (if that was the case people would bite the bullet learn and go)... it's because dispite effort put into them the don't produce good results. Sorry kiddo, it's that simple.
yeah, looks pretty sound to me, although i think you forgot to bold competitive and casual :laugh:

but really, i agree with what you say.

still, if people play low tiers in toruneys, and win, they should keep doing it if they want to.

Link-NY

Smash Ace

no, he's not right. and neither are you. you also seem to think people shouldnt be alowed to play as low tier characters. which is far from the truth. look at all the people who win tournaments ueing low tier characters. if people are good enough with there Low tier characters, they can win. thats the whole reason people use them in tournements. because they want to see if there good enough to win againced a high tier player. if you want to try and proove your skill to people, that dosn't seem like a waste of money to me. even if you do lose, it proves you have enough guts to try your best. regardles of the odds. and if you do win, that logicaly means your better then a lot of people.DooDah is always Right. and since when do i think ppl should be allowed to use low tiers in tourney play? i use low tiers all the time. And since when do ppl win tournaments using low tiers? Taj doesnt win tournies going all mew2 and he certainly doesnt win 1st place using mew2 for that matter.

people like you seem to think of the tier like a game of rock-paper-scissors. and that picking a certant character instantly means your going to win. just because a character is higher on a list, dosn't mean they will instantly win (which has been proven by players like Taj, and the like). so it's not 'obvious' that a high tier character would win againced a low tier. in fact. it incredably illogical.
Wrong. i dont even look at the tier list at all, or pay any mind to it. Picking up a high tier isnt a instant win.. it just gives you a better chance and a easier time.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master

no, he's not right. and neither are you. you also seem to think people shouldnt be alowed to play as low tier characters. which is far from the truth. look at all the people who win tournaments ueing low tier characters. if people are good enough with there Low tier characters, they can win. thats the whole reason people use them in tournements. because they want to see if there good enough to win againced a high tier player. if you want to try and proove your skill to people, that dosn't seem like a waste of money to me. even if you do lose, it proves you have enough guts to try your best. regardles of the odds. and if you do win, that logicaly means your better then a lot of people.

Can u plaease name some1 who has ever wona tourney using a low tiered character alone? No. Exactly.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
major tourney, maybe chu dat when ICs were considered a low tier character, but now they're not so, nope no one

if it's a local tourney, then a lot of people but they don't count

actually, i heard azen won one major that was a few months back using only link, luigi, and pika

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
If you're talking about SAVII, he didn't win that

Anyway the way I see it, I agree with <3's argument, it's one I often use for people who refuse to use advanced techs. You COULD play baseball with a twig, but people with actual metal bats have a pretty **** big advantage over you. If you get really good at hitting a ball really really far with a twig, then yeah you are pretty unique/honourable.

But you gotta be **** good at it.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
playing soccor with slippers is just ********, sure way of getting your foot broken

i don't think it was that one, i heard he won something else, i think it was like 2 months back

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
If you're talking about SAVII, he didn't win that

Anyway the way I see it, I agree with <3's argument, it's one I often use for people who refuse to use advanced techs. You COULD play baseball with a twig, but people with actual metal bats have a pretty **** big advantage over you. If you get really good at hitting a ball really really far with a twig, then yeah you are pretty unique/honourable.

But you gotta be **** good at it.
OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG.

Everyone in this thread just got owned(who uses low tier only).

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG.

Everyone in this thread just got owned(who uses low tier only).
I really don't see how. I can see his point, and yes, it does put us at a huge ****ing disadvantage. But don't we have hte right to play who we want? Yes, We ALL know that our character sucks, and we won't be winning much with them, but we still play them. Why should we be attacked because of our character choice?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Azen won a CCX tournament back in August using mostly just Luigi. Aho beat him once using Sheik though so he switched to Mario, to say he used only one lower tiered character would be inaccurate.

Azen is always an exception to the rule.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
for some people.. their BEST character IS a low tier

edit:
oops i double posted.. dont flame me cause i already flammed myself
i'm aware of that. i main a low tier character, but as I said, in tourneysi main anything but my kirby. i am one of the ones that says play what you want to play. i prefer my kirby over the high tier characters any day, but in tourneys i wont use him unless the entry fee was waved.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
also everyone is skipping my posts, are my arguments so sound they can't be broken, because if thats the case why is there still arguing going on?
*applaudes and bows*
I really don't see how. I can see his point, and yes, it does put us at a huge ****ing disadvantage. But don't we have hte right to play who we want? Yes, We ALL know that our character sucks, and we won't be winning much with them, but we still play them. Why should we be attacked because of our character choice?
I'm mostly here since I keep hearing "Tiers dont matter!" and "Cheap!" all the time. If you're not one of those people, I've no problem with you.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
*applaudes and bows*

I'm mostly here since I keep hearing "Tiers dont matter!" and "Cheap!" all the time. If you're not one of those people, I've no problem with you.
No, I know that tiers are a huge factor, and that winning with lower tier characters is nigh impossible in tournament settings. Nor do I think the high tier characters are cheap. I just play Kirby because I enjoy him, and I happen to do good with him.

I myself am training a Marth so I have a high tier character in my roster.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
i just farted

+1
LOL SPAM

See the reason I play Roy, Doc, and (recently) Zelda is because I happen to like using less powerful characters. I don't play to win, and I don't go to tournaments. I found out very quickly that Zelda, is in fact, brutally powerful.

So, in response to the topic, I don't think I'm unique or honorable - Doc and Roy just do things I love. Doc's Fair, Fsmash, Dsmash, the cape, etc. And I'm completely addicted to Roy's Counter and Dtilt. It's just my preference.

y0sHi-naT0r

Smash Cadet
being a less popular character is unique. putting hard work into a character that's hard to train is honorable.

so i agree with u except that u need a high tier to win a competitive tournament

Mighty Dogg

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, just pick the player who you can play best with.. If thats Marth with the c-stick left and right ( not dissing marth players as i am a marth main ) then so be it. Or if ur best is pichu then pick pichu. i hate when ppl main as g&w but there better with a peach.. Use the PEACH!!! God dang

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Honestly, just pick the player who you can play best with.. If thats Marth with the c-stick left and right ( not dissing marth players as i am a marth main ) then so be it. Or if ur best is pichu then pick pichu. i hate when ppl main as g&w but there better with a peach.. Use the PEACH!!! God dang
A lot of that might have to do with your specific experience, both yours and their playstyle, and character matchups. I've met people who had more trouble with my Kirby than my Zelda, even though I'm probably better with Zelda, and Zelda is a better character.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
most low tiers are very awkward to fight, which is why some are surprised they lose to one

i hate fighting them (with the exceptions of yoshi's, luigi's, kirby's, and zelda's) because no one uses them (i'm used to the other's because my bro plays kirby and yoshi, zelda i used to use as a main so i know how she acts, and luigi's are just easy for me), i was disappointed when i lost to a g&w yesterday with my ganon, but it's such a weird fight, like i'm 2-1 on my friends fox with bowser, but hey, the people that were my skill or better where i was yesterday, we toyed with the little ones and used a low tier, it was fun

my friend and i did a 3 way with another person, he went falco we went g&w and combo'd him together, then he went mario and we went bowser, it was pretty funny...ganging up just to get rid of him (we just wanted a match alone...it didn't work well)

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
im telling y'all.. the tier list only applies to people with very closely matched skills

regardless of tier rankings, better mindgame wins the game.

low tier characters sometimes DO have a surprise element. but thats only proof that you are actually a noob that lacks of experience.

i do not understand why some people have a split of different characters between their main and their best.
Main = Best.. otherwise, you should not call him your main.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
If you play a low tier character because you want to try and get respect from people because you decided to handicap yourself with a bad character, you're stupid. Winning moderate to high level tournaments with low tiers is pretty much out of the question. The only good reason to play a low tier is because you want to and you don't give a rat's *** about anyone else's opinion.

It's like being a tier ***** for the wrong reasons. At least people who only play the top 5 are getting somewhere. Playing to get pity points from other players is just sad.

Top Bottom