• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
doesnt matter if you play high tier.. most of you still loose anyways.................

and no, playing tourneys with low tier is not a waste of money.. most people join tourneys even if they know they are going to loose.

so really, if you are money conservative.. sell your gamecube, sell your controllers, sell your smashbrothers, and just stop playing.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
MetaKnight0 said:
Maybe unique, but where the hell does the honourable part come from. This isn't the Middle Ages man. No one gives you 'honour' if you win with Bowser. You aren't going to get knighted for your adventures with Mewtwo. So cut the honour crap.
Doh! I think what you meant to say was:

MetaKnight0 said:
wow, I've never thought of it that way before...good point
But seriously, it is more impressive to win with Bowser than with Sheik. I'd call that honor.
I'm pretty **** sure of what I put down on my keyboard, I don't need your help. I meant to say that honour has got nothing to do with what character you choose, period. If you really want to be 'honourable', why don't you rescue your opponent everytime they can't make it in the hopes that they will see the light? Why don't you just stop using any techniques that give you an advantage? How about never attacking the opponent when they don't have their shield up because it's poor honour to hit someone that's defenseless?

I use these ridiculous notions because the notion of honour in a fighting game is ridiculous in itself. Please, cut this ****, honour has nothing to do with this game.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'm pretty **** sure of what I put down on my keyboard, I don't need your help. I meant to say that honour has got nothing to do with what character you choose, period. If you really want to be 'honourable', why don't you rescue your opponent everytime they can't make it in the hopes that they will see the light? Why don't you just stop using any techniques that give you an advantage? How about never attacking the opponent when they don't have their shield up because it's poor honour to hit someone that's defenseless?

I use these ridiculous notions because the notion of honour in a fighting game is ridiculous in itself. Please, cut this ****, honour has nothing to do with this game.
You dont even know what honor is.

and so YES, it IS HONORABLE to passionately stick with your favorite character even though the rest of the world declares that he sucks.

honor however, has NOTHING TO DO WITH WINNING A GAME.
Quite true. same way I feel for sticking with Link for so long, ever since ssb,

uremog

Smash Ace
i really don't feel that which character you choose has anything to do with honor. now, unplugging a controller or fiddling with the power or such would be "dishonorable" as it's like cheating. some people are confusing preference with honor. playing another character doesn't make you a traitor.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
You get honor for low tier play? Dang, I better get a carpet rolled out for me next tourny I go to. I expect all of my opponents to stand up until I plug my controller in and sit down, and if they somehow manage to beat me, they should immediately apologize and go report the match results to the contrary ASAP.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
You get honor for low tier play? Dang, I better get a carpet rolled out for me next tourny I go to. I expect all of my opponents to stand up until I plug my controller in and sit down, and if they somehow manage to beat me, they should immediately apologize and go report the match results to the contrary ASAP.
and if its a duel between two low tier players? ;)

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
If honour has nothing to do with respect, opponent included, then tell me what honour is Sir Zodiac. If your 'honour' doesn't extend to your opponent then that's not very good honour at all.

Or how about you just throw out the notion of honour in a fighting game. It's the same as being a scrub - putting limits and constraints on yourself for the fulfillment of unnecessary and unexistent rules.

Magnum Opus said:
and if its a duel between two low tier players?
That's when a jousting match begins.

Airo

Smash Lord
are you misunderstanding honor for royalty??

Its more impressive to win with fox than to lose with mewtwo.
that ... doesnt point to anything. you best restate this so it mkes sense.

100% guaranteed false. a mewtwo player should know that more than anyone.
=/ disagree. being a mewtwo player, i can only see how critical mindgame is if i were to achieve my goal of winning.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
who is airo lol

and i agree with Mow on that quote about the "mindgames solv everything" or whatever it was.

mindgames dont make my character good lol

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
I have to say that the worst reputation of low tier players stems from horrible videos.

Im guilty of that myself.. i churned out a bad zelda combo video (oomfg teh fisrt 1 lol11!1~!) for Simna's low tier week.

There are way too many 'awesome pichu combo video' type things... just for the sake of being the best pichu?

However, showing off pure skill (Taj's M2, Bum's DK, Dire's G&W) is always welcome. Much honor to the players who break away from the horde of players who choose characters that 'no one' (but everyone) plays.

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
the tier list only states who wins the most in tournaments. Fox is top because there is alot of awesome fox players out right now like Ken and Mewtwo king. Sheik used to be number one because there was alot of good sheik players at that time. In some occasions low tier characters are low because not alot of people get good with them like Roy. Neo plays him awesomely but usually noobs who are turning into amateurs change to Marth instead before they can get better with Roy. That's my opinion on the tier list.

Airo

Smash Lord
the tier list is based on the level of metagame each character has.

metagame leads to tournament results and tier list.
change in metagame leads to the change in tournament results and change in tier list.

not the other around.

but yah this is all on the side.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
tier list based on tourney's wouold be vastly different than it is now...

marth, iceys, captain falcon, samus, falco, fox?

everyone else = bottom/useless tier?

Skler

Smash Master
Useless should be a tier. It could be all the characters who only have an advantage against other chars in the Useless tier or in dittos.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
revolutionary idea: honor points!!

i got a good idea for a way to incorporate honor into tournaments. when you play low tier, you should get honor points, even if you lose. and when you play top tier you should lose honor points. at the end of the tournament whoever has the most honor points gets a thumbs up and a pat on the back from everyone there, and whoever has the least gets to keep all their winnings.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
i got a good idea for a way to incorporate honor into tournaments. when you play low tier, you should get honor points, even if you lose. and when you play top tier you should lose honor points. at the end of the tournament whoever has the most honor points gets a thumbs up and a pat on the back from everyone there, and whoever has the least gets to keep all their winnings.
HOLY CRAP!!!! PM KISH IMMEDIATELY!!!

GreenCarrot

Smash Cadet
Lmfao.. what a great idea

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
People that play low tiers for "honor" or whatever you want to call it do it because in their mindset they can't lose. If they lose its cause they were playing low tier so using that if they played a high tier they would have won. If they win they "extra triple double uber" pwned you cause you most likely were playing a higher tier character.

The thing that pisses me off the most about these people is that winning doesn't make you the better player to them.

That whole thing that was tossed out there about mindgames fixing problems, I don't know what the hell that was intended for but I wanted to say something else. Your mindgames actually do show how much of a better player you are overall, but not with a specific character.

And I can't believe that Solar can make gay topics like these and make them 500 posts long and post like only 3 times in them. This topic should have died out when the person that said (if anyone has said it) 'They play low tier characters as a john for if they lose.'

I think the only way you can convince people like this that they are feeding themselves bull**** is to beat them at their own game.

Brookman

Smash Hero
At this point I'm pretty sure everything that could have possibly been said has been said at least 100 times in 12 different langauges.

Airo

Smash Lord
People that play low tiers for "honor" or whatever you want to call it do it because in their mindset they can't lose. If they lose its cause they were playing low tier so using that if they played a high tier they would have won.
hightier.. Way overrated
lowtier.... Way underrated

doesnt matter anymore..
you people can be low tier haters all you want.
there will still be a good amount of people loving the characters they play

controlfreak said:
That whole thing that was tossed out there about mindgames fixing problems, I don't know what the hell that was intended for but I wanted to say something else. Your mindgames actually do show how much of a better player you are overall, but not with a specific character.
mindgames are not identical for every character. not when characters have all these different frame speeds.

Sighrax

Smash Lord
airo who are you ??? also, I think a lot of NOOB low tier players make johns for "playing low tier". People who excel with any character and lose will not make any excuse for losing.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't use Low Tier characters because of "honor."

Honestly, I use Low Tier characters (Bowser, G&W) because I sucked at using High Tier characters. I tried Fox, failed. Same with Falco and Marth. (However, at this time I didn't know about tiers, I simply thought they were the best.) I used Game & Watch, and I had success. He's just the right character for me.

Also, in the beginning I did feel special and unique for using G&W at tourneys, but I soon realized that using G&W doesn't make me more special than anyone else. I still believe that it makes me unique (unique meaning "not typical; unusual"), but that's not why I play him. He is simply my best character and I win most often with him.

nublet06

Smash Lord
i play luigi because he is fun.....and he is my best. i never make any low tier johns because perosnally, i think luigi should be in a higher tier than he is.

i actually hear people johning because I PLAY luigi. "luigi is so gay i have no idea how to play agasint him" stuff like that. for those people who play a character that is seen as "low tier" and make johns when they lose. they phail at life. tier lists are over rated anyway.

some characters simply take a little more thought to be competative. look at taj. mewtwo is supposedly terrible, but Taj uses moves in ways that people would never think of. and that along with him being amazing, is why he does so well with mew2. learn how to play your characters and stop johning.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
People say low tier players john a lot? You should hear some of the things people say to me when they lose.

"I wasn't trying."
"I don't main this character."
"I'm tired."

etc... I've heard it all. I've also seen people who wouldn't play their main against me because they were afraid of it even being close. That's weak right there.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha i love it when people play me and see i pick bowser and automatically pick their own low tier character (not main) and it gets completely decimated so they realize they need to play their actual character to be close haha, thats fun times.

this topic is really dumb and has massive reply numbers for some reason

D

Deleted member

the only low tier success I've heard of is neo's roy and chu/caveman young link

Airo

Smash Lord
aggg... whatever...

im having fun playing with my character.. which is what nintendo wants.
goal achieved.

playing just to win is stupid

and as for comments like 'who are you airo'
in no way do i take that as an offense.
im just someone that loves playing smash, nothing wrong with That.
i could definately careless regarding fame.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
hightier.. Way overrated
lowtier.... Way underrated

doesnt matter anymore..
you people can be low tier haters all you want.
there will still be a good amount of people loving the characters they play

mindgames are not identical for every character. not when characters have all these different frame speeds.

yah you're right high tier way overrated and low tier way underrated, don't disagree with that and never said I did. I said that there are people that play low tier as an auto john so they can't lose i never said every low tier player does this. Who is being a low tier hater? People are just saying that you shouldn't say **** if you lose because there is nothing to say. I love fox hence why I play him so don't make it sound like low tier players are the only ones that enjoy the characters they play.

Mindgames is a very general term its not meant to be used as specific. I see it more as a mindset so it is like you are going to try to trick your opponent however you can with the character that you are using.

BTW by frame speeds, just in case you are implying that faster characters have better mindgames then go talk to Dope. And in some cases frame speeds can mean very little when it comes to basic tricks like wavedashing backwards when your opponent comes in with something. Also just cause mindgames are not identical for every character does not mean the same concept can't be use in a different way or using different timing.

Also Solar made this topic to make one thing clear: The object of smash is to be gay, because being gay gets you the win. So if any low tier player doesn't play a high tier cause they are "gay" then they should start using high tiers cause you are supposed to be gay.

Airo

Smash Lord
yah you're right high tier way overrated and low tier way underrated, don't disagree with that and never said I did. I said that there are people that play low tier as an auto john so they can't lose i never said every low tier player does this. Who is being a low tier hater? People are just saying that you shouldn't say **** if you lose because there is nothing to say. I love fox hence why I play him so don't make it sound like low tier players are the only ones that enjoy the characters they play.

Mindgames is a very general term its not meant to be used as specific. I see it more as a mindset so it is like you are going to try to trick your opponent however you can with the character that you are using.

BTW by frame speeds, just in case you are implying that faster characters have better mindgames then go talk to Dope. And in some cases frame speeds can mean very little when it comes to basic tricks like wavedashing backwards when your opponent comes in with something. Also just cause mindgames are not identical for every character does not mean the same concept can't be use in a different way or using different timing.

Also Solar made this topic to make one thing clear: The object of smash is to be gay, because being gay gets you the win. So if any low tier player doesn't play a high tier cause they are "gay" then they should start using high tiers cause you are supposed to be gay.
i dano if its me that misunderstood you or...my posts are being misunderstood. your respond sounds like your talking to a different person x.x

response to
paragraph1: you spoke my mind.
paragraph2: i agree....i think i misunderstood you
paragraph3: no thats not what i meant. basic concepts do imply for characters, im just meaning that their executions are unidentical. and i dont remember why im pointing that out.
paragraph4: well i sure arnt going to be gay anytime soon. =]

Top Bottom