• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Winning as a "Low Tier Player" makes you unique and honorable.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Winning as a "Low Tier Player" makes you unique and honorable.
Maybe unique, but where the hell does the honourable part come from. This isn't the Middle Ages man. No one gives you 'honour' if you win with Bowser. You aren't going to get knighted for your adventures with Mewtwo. So cut the honour crap.

Ni Hao

Smash Rookie
Lol. High Tier characters are a lot better (like you said) and almost always used in tournaments. But i guess people like to be different, and i guess some people pick the people they like, not the people that are good, like me, i use Y.Link, even though he's real weak... But it is pretty fun to win with him at MLG competitions

BZZL

Smash Apprentice
I can agree with the original poster's thoughts. Losing is losing, and while not being an *** when you lose is a good trait, there's not much else to brag about there.

Personally, I main Ness, even in full-tiered tournaments. I don't have much experience yet, but I know I'm not bad. Anyway, I play Ness for two reasons. The first, of course, is that I love playing him. The second is that I believe that he doesn't belong in the low-tier and I want to see him get higher up. Since the only way to do that is to have him win more "official" games than other characters, I want to get good enough to the point that I can do just that.

Sure, it's nice after a victory to hear a complement on my Ness, or even that I did well using a low-tier. But you will never catch me blaming a loss on my character choice. True, Sheik and Fox **** me, but it remains my own choice to play him even though I know what's coming.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
its funny cuz like all these people in this thread are like "hell ya low tires!!1" but then they dont go to tourneys ORRRR win. so gg?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
its funny cuz like all these people in this thread are like "hell ya low tires!!1" but then they dont go to tourneys ORRRR win. so gg?
I've won with Young Link multiple times in multiple locations.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
they must have been REALLY good players, right?
I know what answer you are looking for. I'll save you the trouble and tell you right now that I don't beat pro players with my oh-so-amazing low tier skills. However, you seem to constantly overlook the fact that most of the smash community does not consist of pro players. So, to answer your question, yes, I do beat REALLY GOOD players.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Trap logic. I know your tricks!

I'm glad I don't fit into this category, since I'm casual and therefore don't play in tournaments (And therefore don't consider myself unique).

Samochan

Smash Master
I know what answer you are looking for. I'll save you the trouble and tell you right now that I don't beat pro players with my oh-so-amazing low tier skills. However, you seem to constantly overlook the fact that most of the smash community does not consist of pro players. So, to answer your question, yes, I do beat REALLY GOOD players.
The smash community has 25 pro players from over 6 million owners of this game... yea. >.> (or was it more owners?)

"I beat g-reg, Aho, KM, Forward, Tope and others daily with my pichu"
"They're not pro players so it doesn't mean anything, noob"

Ooohhh snap, I must suck real bad now since I don't beat pro players with lower tiers but I beat pro level players with them. >_>

Pfft... even the lower tiers happen to have something the higher tiers do not have. For example, bowser has the best ledgeattack in the game and fortress, not forgetting his insane edgeguarding abilities. Koopa claw grabs even the shielding opponent, now that's a handy attack for mindgames I'd say. Someone might find that more suitable to their playing style than picking marth and fsmashing and dtilting all day. Y.link has one of the best projectiles in the game, extremely versatile too and not too slow character either. Rather than just using Doc or Falco for constant and predictable spam you could go for y.link for extreme spammage and ten times more versatility. Bombs can even save your life from sure KO's. Kirby has the kirbycides, in case someone is fond of suicides where you can actually save yourself, plus you can just duck and avoid 70% attacks of the game if not more, which is very effective against those that have no kirby experience.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Buzz said:
So, to answer your question, yes, I do beat REALLY GOOD players.
LOL Like who? LOL.

Samochan said:
Thee smash community has 25 pro players from over 6 million owners of this game... yea. >.> (or was it more owners?)
No they dont.

Samochan said:
"I beat g-reg, Aho, KM, Forward, Tope and others daily with my pichu"
"They're not pro players so it doesn't mean anything, noob"

Ooohhh snap, I must suck real bad now since I don't beat pro players with lower tiers but I beat pro level players with them. >_>
...wha?

Samochan said:
Pfft... even the lower tiers happen to have something the higher tiers do not have. For example, bowser has the best ledgeattack in the game and fortress, not forgetting his insane edgeguarding abilities. Koopa claw grabs even the shielding opponent, now that's a handy attack for mindgames I'd say. Someone might find that more suitable to their playing style than picking marth and fsmashing and dtilting all day. Y.link has one of the best projectiles in the game, extremely versatile too and not too slow character either. Rather than just using Doc or Falco for constant and predictable spam you could go for y.link for extreme spammage and ten times more versatility. Bombs can even save your life from sure KO's. Kirby has the kirbycides, in case someone is fond of suicides where you can actually save yourself, plus you can just duck and avoid 70% attacks of the game if not more, which is very effective against those that have no kirby experience.

Doesn't matter what they have, it's what they lack. Bowser sucks, he's not agile and he has slow L cancels. Young Link lacks a good KO move. And Kirby has absolutely nothing, making him the worst character in the game.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Alright, this is turning into a bragfest. No one likes to hear those much, especially those who can't back it up.

Wilhemsan pretty much summed up the whole 28 page debate, so I think it's time to lock this thread and forget about it.

Remember, low tier tourneys exist too....

So LOCK UP!

Brookman

Smash Hero
we should make a new topic...something like

"Being Korean does not make you good at starcraft" or something. No?

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
the majority of people that play low tiers :

-DO not play low tier to handicap themselves
-Do not use lowtier as a jOhN
-Do not care crud about what anybody says
-Do play to win.
-Do not play for a low tier honor
-Are VERY well aware of the tier List

so i dano who the first post are directed to?????????????????/

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Playing a low tier does NOT make you honorable. And it ALSO doesn't make you unique. Or does it?

Definitions of unique:

1 : being the only one : SOLE <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? -- Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
2 a : being without a like or equal : UNEQUALED <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique -- Robert Coover> b : distinctively characteristic : PECULIAR 1 <this is not a condition unique to California -- Ronald Reagan>
3 : UNUSUAL <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch -- J. D. Salinger>
Let's face it:

1: Nope, you're not the only one who plays low tier

2: As a low tier player, you're not without a like or equal, in terms of BEING a Low tier player. You ARE a Low Tier player. And so is HE. 'Low Tier player' = 'Low Tier player', there's more 'Low Tier Players'. As an individual though, playing a Low Tier character, you have a certain style. IMO every player has a different style, nobody's alike. But that's a side subject.

3: Now this could be an actually good definition in this case. Yes, it DOES make you unusual and you know it. If you play Bowser in a tourney match, OF COURSE your opponent's gonna be like 'huh? wtf' Don't deny it.

Well, being honorable is probably a subjective case. It truly depends on opinion. Some people think Low Tier players are honorable, some don't. Whatever really.

Now flame me, stupid morons.

Brookman

Smash Hero
lol, you can be uniqe using ANY character!! Take me for example, I play as fox and I don't use his laser, shine, or up throw. No other fox player does that.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Originally Posted by The Brookman
lol, you can be uniqe using ANY character!! Take me for example, I play as fox and I don't use his laser, shine, or up throw. No other fox player does that.
Sucking at a character doesn't make you unique either.
LMAO
that was just priceless. maybe I should put it in my sign..

Vall3y

Smash Lord
lol reminds me of AOB's SHLless falco
it IS uniqe ... why would you wanna have that, though, who knows.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wtf is going on...

i liked the bragfest earlier, i think we should have a 'who have we beaten before (that is worth bringing up) as what low tier character' bragfest.

oh i mean IN A TOURNEY SET of course...

i'm pretty sure almost every low tier player will come up near empty on that one haha

Zodiac

Smash Master
People have this misconception that they're unique and honorable just because they use a low tier character. I've seen so many people say that they won't play high tier characters because it's not unique and because it's cheap. The funny thing is, if you surveyed every ssbm player, and not just pros but every one, I'd say the most people play Roy and Link. Every time I meet a new smash player and they tell me which characters they use, the first bit of advice I give them is to begin to work on a high-top tier character. I laugh whenever someone says they don't want to be a traitor and change their main. No one really cares who you use, and if they suggest that you "stick with it" then they are not really trying to help you get better, they just don't want to face the truth that the tiers exist for a reason. Of course low tier characters are fun to use and even can be important for counterpicking, but if you ever want to play well in a tourney, learning a higher tier character is mandatory. Look at Ken. He's acknowledged as one of the best ssbm players and everyone who has even looked into pro ssbm knows of him. How many of them know of a Roy Main? Not even 25% as many. If you want to stand out, then do it by winning.

I played Link exclusivly for years, and I figured out how to beat every character, own even, with Link. But as good as I got with Link, I realized that even with skill high tier counters are still NEEDED, So now Marth is also in my arsenal. and guess what, I win more fights because I can now counter.

Oh and low tier players being humble? dosnt matter what part of the tier you paly, if your humble, your humble, if not, then you probally not that good.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Maybe unique, but where the hell does the honourable part come from. This isn't the Middle Ages man. No one gives you 'honour' if you win with Bowser. You aren't going to get knighted for your adventures with Mewtwo. So cut the honour crap.
Doh! I think what you meant to say was:
wow, I've never thought of it that way before...good point
But seriously, it is more impressive to win with Bowser than with Sheik. I'd call that honor.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
Doh! I think what you meant to say was:

But seriously, it is more impressive to win with Bowser than with Sheik. I'd call that honor.
Impressive, yes... honorable, no. Again, I'm with all those who say 'what does honour have to do with anything?'. Really, cut the crap...

Then again, it makes one think of how much gimpy **** a player using Bowser would have to use to beat a player using a top tier character... let's face it, in a battle between two Pro players, there is no way a Bowser could match a Marth in close combat...

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
well, when Azen crippled himself and beat one of the best in France using only one hand..
its only natural that he gets responses like

'wow thats crazy'
'azen is the best!'

then i guess it is in some sense 'rewarding' to cripple yourself and win someone.

however, that is not the reason people play low tier.
the attitude of playing a character because you like the charcter is honorable.

and so YES, it IS HONORABLE to passionately stick with your favorite character even though the rest of the world declares that he sucks.

honor however, has NOTHING TO DO WITH WINNING A GAME.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Typos, ftw?
It's hard to maintain switching between different languages while typing online :(

GunStar Omega

Smash Cadet
Ok, smash is about personal match ups. Not even the characters... its the people behind them that win the matches. Aniki is what he is. The king said once that "you persue a style and I persue a style." That comes down to people, volatility, and skill, regardless of tier.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
+1 vouch

also megaman zero should definitely be in brawl. i'd buy the game for that sole reason if he is.
glad you agree on zero.

back on topic. people, play what you want. if you play low tiers, then you will most likely not win any major tourneys, and throw away some money in the process. if you win however, congrats to you.

either way, the prize is the same.

Top Bottom