• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

T-major

Smash Champion
Thank you T-Major. +rep for you.
:chuckle: no problem. and thanks for the +rep.

yeah, this whole "you must obey the tier list" nonsence needs to stop. personaly, I think the tier list means nothing. there are a lot of pros who use low tier characters. but can beat high tier users. that alone flies in the face of the teir list. also, the tier list only counts people who have gone to tournaments. I would bet money that there are people in the world who could beat every single well know pro out there. but just haven't gone to tournaments because they dont feel like it.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
:chuckle: no problem. and thanks for the +rep.

yeah, this whole "you must obey the tier list" nonsence needs to stop. personaly, I think the tier list means nothing. there are a lot of pros who use low tier characters. but can beat high tier users. that alone flies in the face of the teir list. also, the tier list only counts people who have gone to tournaments. I would bet money that there are people in the world who could beat every single well know pro out there. but just haven't gone to tournaments because they dont feel like it.
Yeah, and Captain Jack plays as every single character, an he'll own every user in this thread with any of them. Except Dire.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
and chu dat, and ken

tiers are just there to tell us how easy a character is to use in a tournament

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
The tier list only matters when you are amazing, playing against someone else who is amazing. If you are playing a lower tiered character against someone who is using a higher tiered character, and their character counters yours (this is more important), they have a higher possibility of winning. It isn't so much higher that it'd matter if you are not as skilled as the person you are facing. Let's give an obvious example. If I play Fox vs. any one skilled at all, I lose. This is because they are more skilled with their character than I am with Fox. Not because Fox isn't as good of a character as whoever they use. High tiers only counter characters when the high tier player knows why, and can do whatever it is that makes his character better, and can mindgame effectively (to be able to do said thing, since low tier players are usually well aware of their character's weaknesses).

If you can't beat my low tiers with your high tiers, let's face it: You aren't going to win a tournament at this time. Fox (or any other high tier) is not an instant win button. if you suck, it doesn't matter who you use. You still suck. You need skill in order to beat someone, regardless of what character you are. People like Dire and Chu beat people with their low tiers because they are either more skilled than their opponents or played the match better than their opponents did. Just use whoever you want.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
If you can't beat my low tiers with your high tiers, let's face it: You aren't going to win a tournament at this time. Fox (or any other high tier) is not an instant win button. if you suck, it doesn't matter who you use. You still suck. You need skill in order to beat someone, regardless of what character you are. People like Dire and Chu beat people with their low tiers because they are either more skilled than their opponents or played the match better than their opponents did. Just use whoever you want.
Actually, I might not be able to beat you'r low tiers with my high tiers. I haven't played anyone besides Mr. Game and Watch in awhile

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
People who play characters like Marth, Fox, and Peach because they're are high tier characters are either too lazy to learn a character they like cause there low tier or suck too much to do so.
You play those characters right, so you know it's easy.
No I'm kidding guys that's sarcasm, of course he doesn't play high tiered characters, he thinks they are easy to use.

Characters like fox and falco are way hard to pick up than say bowser. The dexterity of the mind and hands alone are enough to keep me from even concidering playing either of them compeditively. Characters like Samus and C .falc have a way higher learning curve than a larger portion of the cast. And me I can actually do this comparision because I play all of the characters in the game at an above average level. I don't think I know what I'm talking about, I do.

Now, If you play Falco, Fox, Marth, ect. because you like the character then that's fine. But if you only play them cause they're higher tier then man up and get some balls. God.
(Just a warning here don't want to surpize anyone, last thing we need is wet pants, but I'm going to bold the words "casual" and "compeditive" in hope of getting the message accross clearer, actually to be honest thats what this parentisized secion is here for too. Boy, am I clever or what)
Like i was saying the difference between casual and truely compeditive. If you run track do you get on the field with leg weights and call everyone who isn't wearing them wrong? If you don't play basketball with a hand behind your back are you a wimp? No.

If you want to put yourself at a disadvantage fine, I do it often myself, but understand that it is just that. Low tiered characters are low tier for a reason and it's not because they are hard to learn (if that was the case people would bite the bullet learn and go)... it's because dispite effort put into them the don't produce good results. Sorry kiddo, it's that simple.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
lol

Actually, I might not be able to beat you'r low tiers with my high tiers. I haven't played anyone besides Mr. Game and Watch in awhile
You might be able to.. I don't know how good you are compared to me unless we play each other. Haha, i can't beat anyone's low tiers with my high tiers unless they aren't very good. :p Plus there's lots of players with very good low tiers that I can't beat who have bad high tiers. Basically i was directing that post towards the people who only play high tiers because they think they're going to win a tournament with them. People who can't beat low tiers aren't going to win a tournament, because chances are good that either top players will catch on to their weakness, or they'd lose to some random player like me :p

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Ok, so in a nut shell:

If u play low tier because u think its honorable or unique, then you're an idiot.

For any other reason its ok.

Low tiers cannot win tournaments, they're there soley for counterpicks and "fun".

If you main a low tier, you're basically not playing to win, you're playing to humiliate or get humiliated.

Any character under Link on the tier list is garbage.

Edit: Except Game and Watch, he's broken.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: How the hell is G&W broken? He's slow,laggy and light. And yes, low tier characters CAN win tournaments. Taj wins tournaments as Mewtwo, so that means you're wrong.

EDIT:I main Game and Watch and I know he's not broken. Also, I don't main him because I think it's "honorable" or "unique"(it is though), I main Game and Watch because he's awesome. He's been my fav since I first unlocked him. Before I learned about tiers and such.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Moron. Taj has never won a tournament using Mew2 alone.

All of Game and Watch's move have disjointed hotboxes. He's not slow, kind of laggy, and yes very light. That's his only down side is his weight....oh and his crap shield.

And learn to detect sarcasm n00blet.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
AZ smashers are the best in the world, thats why Taj wins tourneys outside of state with M2 alone all the time. (an example of sarcasm)

Not saying Taj is bad or anything, lol, but don't use bad situational examples as your only defence, they are very easy to walk around.

GreenCarrot

Smash Cadet
mmmm.. this arguing is all fun but it really comes down to this simple fact.. the tier list is a list of how easy a character is to pick up and win with.

and your argument is "but its so hard to tech with fox!!one11".. ok so lets see.. every high tier char has one disadvantage, and that is you have to practice teching, after that its easy..

low tiers require more skill to win with than high tiers. so yea, it is unique or honorable if you win with a low tier vs. a high tier.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Green Carrot you're a moron.

The tier list is a list of the best characters in order(After Fox and Falco it becomes a list of who does best against those 2 in order). Most low tiers(save for yoshi, ness and mew2) are SOOOOOOOO easy to pick up and play.

Not easy to win with, but easy to play.

Fox, Falco(gets way easier with time), and ICs are all perfect examples of easy to win with but hard to play. Yes they own, but one mistake and you're fvcked.

Marth, Peach, and Shiek are easy to play and easy to win with.

But seriously Green Carrot shut up.

Edit: And if Taj has won tournies with mew2 alone, then it was a n00b tourney and no1 good was there.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Edit: And if Taj has won tournies with mew2 alone, then it was a n00b tourney and no1 good was there.
You should money match Taj, seeing how you're so confident that you'd win...

mood4food77

Smash Hero
umm, the tier list isn't based on how good each character does on fox and falco alone, if it did, doc and mario would be right under them, it's based on overall placement in tournaments and how easy they are to use in a tournament

fox is easy to pick up, hard to learn his stuff, low tiers cannot be picked up immediately and be played well, fox can

i think taj's mewtwo is better than dire's g&w, slightly, but not by much (taj almost beat DSF's sheik with mewtwo, i haven't really seen much of dire)

ICs are the only character in the game that you can't just pick up and be good with, you have to be playing with them since the beginning, it takes months to learn them, by far the hardest character to use and learn

it's very rare to see anyone below a ganon user at a tournament because of how bad they do on the top 5, only ganon and falcon are countered by fox and falco, but they do better on them then almost all the low tiered characters (ness, g&w, bowser, dk, luigi, and y. link do better) but after fox and falco, falcon and ganon have pretty much the advantage on anyone (except for falcon on ICs and ganon on falcon) and please, do not bring like azen using falcon to counter pick chu dat's ICs, it's just the fact taht azen does best against chu's ICs with falcon, it does not prove that falcon is not countered by ICs, it's just azen, ICs counter the average falcon, they do not counter azen's

so please, stop this fuss about low tiers, they suck, the people who use them know they suck and why they have back-ups (dire has ganon as a back-up, and it's pretty freaking good, taj has fox as a back-up, chu doesn't need a back-up with ICs), they're just showing how much more skill means than tier placement

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
LMAO @ Stripesorbars and <3
Are yopu saying we should drop the characters we are best with and pick up ones that we are not just because they are high on some list if we wanna have any chance of winning?

:rotfl:

Samochan

Smash Master
Are yopu saying we should drop the characters we are best with and pick up ones that we are not just because they are high on some list if we wanna have any chance of winning?

I'd rather pick my kirby over some high tier character whom I haven't mastered yet. At least I know my character inside out, which means I don't mess up as I'd do with half-***** attempt at playing high tiers which I haven't practiced with nearly as much as I have with Kirby. One cannot really bring fort the true potential of a character if one hasn't practiced the character enough imo. :/

Ps: I main both Kirby and Peach now, did try all higher tiers but not really suitable for me.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Green Carrot you're a moron.

The tier list is a list of the best characters in order(After Fox and Falco it becomes a list of who does best against those 2 in order). Most low tiers(save for yoshi, ness and mew2) are SOOOOOOOO easy to pick up and play.

Not easy to win with, but easy to play.

Fox, Falco(gets way easier with time), and ICs are all perfect examples of easy to win with but hard to play. Yes they own, but one mistake and you're fvcked.

Marth, Peach, and Shiek are easy to play and easy to win with.

But seriously Green Carrot shut up.

i'd like to see you back up your words. bet you wouldnt do so well if you played Taj

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
I'd rather pick my kirby over some high tier character whom I haven't mastered yet. At least I know my character inside out, which means I don't mess up as I'd do with half-***** attempt at playing high tiers which I haven't practiced with nearly as much as I have with Kirby. One cannot really bring fort the true potential of a character if one hasn't practiced the character enough imo. :/

Ps: I main both Kirby and Peach now, did try all higher tiers but not really suitable for me.
i agree with you completely. i play kirby as well. tried fox and falco before, they're just not me. i started playing giggs and ganon as well though.

truth be told, i find it easier to win with giggs and ganon than with fox and falco.

and no, i dont abuse rest.

Kamikaze Kevin

Smash Cadet
i kinda believe somewhere in the middle of this. i enjoy playing low tiers over high tiers, but when i want/need to win i pick sheik over dk or g&w everytime

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the only reason i'll use a low tier is if i don't feel like ****** my opponent (after i ***** him with like my mains)

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
You should money match Taj, seeing how you're so confident that you'd win...
LOL when did I say I'd win? I'm pretty sure I would win, but where did I say I would win? All I said was if Taj went Mew2 all the way to win a tourney, then obviosuly everyone there was n00bariffic.

Actually, ince he's so confident low tiers can't do *****, lets see him money match Dire.
Wow, people are so moronic on here.

Basically, yes. If you want to win a tourney using low tiers alone, then you better play every single low tier flawlessly so you can counter pick the top like 14 characters.

I mained DK, Mew2 and Luigi for the first 3 quarters of my "tourney career". I didn't do horrible, but unfortunately, there comes a time when you get sick of wasting money.

So, basically, like I said, if you play low tier, then you're not playing this game seriously.

Low tier players(save for game and watch luigi and link) are at tournies to basically inflate the pot(and AZ players please shut up about Taj, I've seen him and played him b4, he plays Fox and Marth too, not just mew2).

i'd like to see you back up your words. bet you wouldnt do so well if you played Taj
Please shut up.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, just cause Dire breaks you're logic that low tier players don't play seriously GaW is an exception.

Yeah, I'm done with this topic. Too many idiotic statements.

forward

Smash Champion
NCT2 - Taj mewtwo vs King jigglypuff - the victor? Taj, by 3 stocks on the second match.

Ok tell now tell me that was worthless to go Mewtwo.

Whatever guys, just play who you like using. I hate people who just pick broken characters like Fox and Peach. I hate people who hate those characters so they try to use someone different like Link or Luigi. I also hate people who use low-tier like Mew2 and GW cuz they want to be different. So basically I hate everyone who plays this game, kiss my ***.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Yeah, just cause Dire breaks you're logic that low tier players don't play seriously GaW is an exception.

Yeah, I'm done with this topic. Too many idiotic statements.

MZero:"Wahhhh, I play game and watch because I wanna be unique and so if I lose I can John and say G&W is low tier and he isn't broken like so many other characters"

Pathetic.

And WTF?! LOL. It has nothing to do with Dire. G&W's offense is broken. Period. He's kinda like a mix of Falco, Dk, and Peach. Falco has an awesome offense but lacks recovery and such(G&W's recovery is aweome though), DK would be pretty sweet if his shield wasn't horrendous, and Peach is just too light.

But yea thank God you're done here.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
MZero:"Wahhhh, I play game and watch because I wanna be unique and so if I lose I can John and say G&W is low tier and he isn't broken like so many other characters"

Pathetic.

And WTF?! LOL. It has nothing to do with Dire. G&W's offense is broken. Period. He's kinda like a mix of Falco, Dk, and Peach. Falco has an awesome offense but lacks recovery and such(G&W's recovery is aweome though), DK would be pretty sweet if his shield wasn't horrendous, and Peach is just too light.

But yea thank God you're done here.
Yeah and GaW has a horrendous shield and is lighter than Peach, he only beats Pichu in weight. And I already ****ing told you that I play Game and Watch because he's been my favorite since I unlocked him. Learn how to read. Now I'm gonna go have some intelligent disscussion with some intelligent members.

Samochan

Smash Master
And because he's low tier and you like johning, you forgot those 2.
And who are you to say who johns and who doesn't? Those that pick low tiers and lose, then john about that they lost because they use low tiers are idiots and suck, but good players are not like that. :/ They happen to pick a character from low tiers simply because they want to play the character, not because the character in question is low tier or that they hate high tiers or for other various stupid reasons some believe are true to all of us lower tier users since noobs like to john a lot.

Noobs can't overcome the difficulties in using lower tier at high level, meaning finding a way around to cover the weaknesses of those lower tier characters that make them lower tiers, like pichu being light and bowser being slow and GW having a poor shield and being light. But it really doesn't matter if the character is light or not if you DI well and don't get hit with powerful attacks, or if your character is being slow your mindgames are good and don't leave any openings, or that you simply don't shield a lot and use your offence to deal a lot of pain to the opponent, in this case attack being the best defence. Lower tiers have a lot more weaknesses than higher tiers and less advantages, but if some player can overcome those weaknesses, then that player could play low tier good no problem. It's the players decision what characters they play with, but using low tiers to john is stupid. But, it is also equally stupid to john when beaten by lower tiers when using high tiers that they don't know the matchup well. :/

Abuani

Smash Apprentice
I main Fox, Young Link, and Bowser, in that order,

My favorite characters to play Young Link > Bowser > Fox,

However, If its a tournement im obviously not going to pick bowser, because I want to win. So in a sense, I agree with you, I would say this though:
"Although playing a low tier character does not make you unique or honorable, being able to win with a low tier character, certainly does"

mog87

Smash Ace
In the end my fellow smashers, does it really matter who you play if you arent winning anything anyway?

"For the love of the game" Id say, but id advise against throwing away your money, unless you have disposable income, but think what you could have done with all those $20s.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Enough about Taj's mewtwo, thats not what this thread is about...either get back on topic or stop posting.

@StripeOrBars
You don't want to get banned again do you?

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
breaking news: SOME LOW-TIER PLAYERS USE THEIR CHARACTER CHOICE AS A JOHN! OTHERS DONT!

can we all just play whoever we like using please?
unless who we like using is fox?

i play the entire cast except for like... 6 characters... cause i like them... i dont even really have a main... and i dont make excuses when i lose - i just... play another character and have fun

T-major

Smash Champion
wow! StripesOrBars, just shut your mouth. your bulls**t logic isn't working. nobody likes you as it is, so don't further that by being a compleat dumb f**k. OK? OK.

::EDIT::

thanks to the people who +rep'd me for my first post! wasn't expecting those.

Top Bottom