• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Speaking of the Heat, remember this game, heat fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCiHOpNJXnc

Hahahahahahahaha.
That was awsome. I don't recall that game last season, but it's always nice to see a comeback like that. Sort of reminds me of Game 5 between the Spurs and Grizzlies in the opening round of the playoffs.

Those announcers were fantastic as well. Loved the enthusiasam for the Jazz.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
**** I KNEW exactly which game was coming before I even clicked on the link!

I nearly committed suicide that night! :mad:
I think Utah was down by 22 at one point in that game. My buddy and I DVR all the games . We were so butthurt at the end of the game, we literally started fast forwarding, and then were like "wait, did it just get to OT, how did that happen."

And then Jerry Sloan retired, they traded Deron Williams, and the Utah Jazz fell into obscurity.
*Rebuilt in half a season. Also, just watch Deron Williams sign with Utah in 2013, pulling the biggest heist ever and effectively ruining the New Jersey Nets.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Charles Barkley was undoubtebly the best the Rockets had, he's definetly my favorite player from the 90's aside from MJ, good stuff there.

The championships were also good, tbe one agaisnt the Lakers I believe was one of the best I've seen.

:phone:
Uhhh... Hakeem Olajuwon?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm curious on everyone else's opinions on how long this lockout will last because quite frankly I'd rather see the Heat lose again in the championship than endue a full year of no NBA.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm curious on everyone else's opinions on how long this lockout will last because quite frankly I'd rather see the Heat lose again in the championship than endue a full year of no NBA.
I'm thinking it we'll have a shortened season. 40-50 games at the least.

Or no season at all.

The odds of a season starting on time are like, 0.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Man what basketball team should I root for?

I rooted for the Heat just for the hell of it once and they ended up winning but that is literally all I know about basketball other than some of the legends of course.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you wanna jump on a popular, yet still "under the radar" kinda team...go with Memphis. Casual fans will lol at you, but just wait when they do damage in the playoffs.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Man what basketball team should I root for?

I rooted for the Heat just for the hell of it once and they ended up winning but that is literally all I know about basketball other than some of the legends of course.
Well if you want to root for a good team I'd say the Lakers or the Chicago Bulls I personally go with either the Bulls or the Rockets, yes I said, even though the Rockets suck; I still want them to do go since they represent H-Town.

:phone:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Are the Rockets really that bad of a team? I know they didn't make the playoffs last year and are not as good as the team from the 1990's, but weren't they at least in the playoff race until the end of the season? At least if they would have been in the Eastern Conference they would have been the 6th seed if I remember right.

I'm a Pistons fan and will always be one. Kind of a bummer that they're on the D tier in the NBA right now, but at least they had a string of great years last decade and a championship.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, Rockets would have been 6th seed and provided a tougher challenge to Boston compared to lulzy Knicks and their abundant amount of injuries.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Especially because the Rockets have 0 talent. They have no business being as good as they are, they're just a very good team and franchise.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Rockets are an okay team, but have a bleak future for now.

Lakers are a really good team, just aging, and have no future in young players or good finances. Since they're such a legendary team, this can change in an instant due to free agency within a season or two.

The Bulls, I feel, are going to be victims of their own success. They grew up too fast. I don't think they're a championship contending team, but they'll make it far every year, leaving them zero opportunities in the draft. Until they learn to utilize Boozer as a pick and roll power forward, and Derrick Rose effectively learns to pass the ball and make plays for his team, they'll be a let down season after season.

If you want to start watching basketball, and you want to watch a baby team grow up to become a contender, stick with the Grizzlies, Clippers, Wolves, Kings, Jazz, Warriors, or if you're lame, the Thunder.

I really wouldn't recommend the Thunder to anyone, though. They're a good team, don't get me wrong, but they win through free throws, which is never fun to watch.

Also, the eastern conference sucks, stay out of there.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Also, the eastern conference sucks, stay out of there.
This.

As for the Bulls they're going to remain the Heat's biggest competition in the EC for a while but I just don't see them beating a healthy Heat team in a 7 game series unless they can get fairly significant upgrades.

This makes me wish the Celtics were younger to give the Heat some real competition. Watching the '08 Celtics go up against the current Heat team would have been amazing to watch.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The Knicks need a year or two to recover from being stripped of all their pieces in the Anthony trade.

Boston, like LA, will always attract big name free agents-- so I don't see them dropping too far after their big 3 retire.

If the Nets can land Dwight and retain Williams, that team will also beast in the east. It'll probably be a huge team for publicity too, once they move to Brooklyn.

Wizards, Raptors, 76ers and Bobcats are all up and comers in a few years as well.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
This.

As for the Bulls they're going to remain the Heat's biggest competition in the EC for a while but I just don't see them beating a healthy Heat team in a 7 game series unless they can get fairly significant upgrades.

This makes me wish the Celtics were younger to give the Heat some real competition. Watching the '08 Celtics go up against the current Heat team would have been amazing to watch.
Yeah, i've seen a couple of celtic games in the past, some of them were spectacular to watch, as for the Bulls, yeah you better believe there gonna be in this, they just need to form better draft picks.

Uhhh... Hakeem Olajuwon?
Oh ****, I totally forgot about him, what team was he in?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Hakeem the Dream is one of the best C's ever, and probably has the best post moves of any NBA player ever. He played with the Rockets from '84-'01.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I love Hakeem's move set. It's so beautiful to watch. I honestly think he's the smoothest if not the smoothest center when it comes to offensive move set.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I honestly don't think much progress will be made. I'm not sure what the current stances are, but the players definitely need to give up some of the revenue share. It's like what? 57-43?

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
The players do need to give up some. I agree. Hopefully everything will get worked out before the start of the season... :/

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
No NBA season would negatively affect Heat fans the most (from the standpoint of a fan).

Another year of the Heat LeBron James being tormented to death over the Finals... Ughhh

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
When I first found out the money was split 57-43 I instantly thought that was ridiculous. I don't see how the players can complain about it at all. Has it been like this since the 98-99 lockout? I'm amazed the owners agreed to that proportion in the first place. I would likely lean more towards the players, but from the standpoint of 52-48 tops.

Top Bottom