• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Fisher is fine if he's knocking down 3 pointers...he started out around 40%, but after December just failed miserably.

Honestly though, Bynum and Gasol suck on Pick and Roll defense. Big reason why the Mavs swept the Lakers. Terry, Stevenson, Kidd aren't exactly penetrators. Barea played about 20 mins a game. Pick and Roll D was a piece of ****. That, and spacing was terrible cause no one outside of Kobe could hit a 3. And we all know Gasol's relationship issues.

Now that I think about it...the reason the Lakers won their past two titles was cause the point guards couldn't shoot. Rafer Alston isn't a good shooter and lol at Rondo.

Really, the only tough Pick and ROll duo the Lakers encountered in their 2-peat was Deron Williams and Boozer. Aaron Brooks and Yao Ming as well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Anyone read that Stephen A Smith article where the faces of the NBA should be attending these meetings and makign their presence felt?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/09/13/labor-update-new-york.ap/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

"Just finished a long day of negotiations. Unfortunately we are No Where Near a deal! It's def disappointing!" union rep Roger Mason Jr. of the New York Knicks tweeted immediately afterward.

National Basketball Players Association head Billy Hunter said the union was willing to move off its stance, but that the league was not willing to negotiate. He also sounded an ominous note about starting the season on time.

"Because of the calendar, we can't come out of this thinking that training camps and the season will start on time," he said.

"It's discouraging and it's unfortunate," said Los Angeles Lakers guard Derek Fisher, "but that's the reality of where we are right now."
Well that just pretty much ruined most of my hopes. :(

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I still think the players should give up some of the revenue share. They should also be willing to instill league wide revenue sharing. Teams like the Bucks are losing money every year, but a team like the Clippers are making profits every year.

Get rid of the Mid-Level Exception. Big reason why some teams have huge payrolls.

Contracts should not be longer than 4 years.

Contracts should be more incentive based so guys like Rashard Lewis and Luke Walton don't get overpaid to do nothing.

Jane

Smash Hero
so... have you guys noticed how they seem to be gravitating more and more towards stupid *** bull**** on sportscenter nowadays?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Jane, care to clarify? :O

SportsCenter hasn't changed as far as I can tell, unless you're referring to a lack of in-depth analysis...
In which case, I'd highly suggest watching their morning/afternoon programming on ESPN2 and ESPN's hour block of Around The Horn/PTI. If nothing else, check out ESPN Radio or listen to the podcasts of the afternoon talk shows.

Speaking of, did anyone else catch the Chris Bosh face to face with Skip Bayless interview on First Take? Skip is a fantastic debater and critic, and Bosh stood his ground well. He got help from the other questions to deflect tension, but he handled the hot seat well. I'd love to see more anger from him, since I think that passive nonsense hurts his impact on the court... But I respect his intelligence if nothing else.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bosh is Mr. Nice Guy...he ain't gonna get angry.

I turned to Sports Center a few days ago and had a good laugh when the NBA Lockout came about. The "highlights" were cameras zooming in on the NBA logo, David Stern...passing by the NBA logo...David Stern. Repeat...made me lol.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, but SC has always been that. It's just a headline show. Never show anything but soundbites and scores. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Latest update.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6973675/derek-fisher-emails-players-says-owners-rift

In my opinion, that's stirring the pot a bit too much. Would suck if the owners respond back by saying "No, we're all good...it's the players that are the problem."

However if this is true...I am a bit torn. I think the players going from 57 to 52 is fair in revenue share. They also don't want salaries to freeze if revenue increases, which makes sense.

I guess it might come down to the rich owners vs the poor.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Jane, care to clarify? :O

SportsCenter hasn't changed as far as I can tell, unless you're referring to a lack of in-depth analysis...
In which case, I'd highly suggest watching their morning/afternoon programming on ESPN2 and ESPN's hour block of Around The Horn/PTI. If nothing else, check out ESPN Radio or listen to the podcasts of the afternoon talk shows.

Speaking of, did anyone else catch the Chris Bosh face to face with Skip Bayless interview on First Take? Skip is a fantastic debater and critic, and Bosh stood his ground well. He got help from the other questions to deflect tension, but he handled the hot seat well. I'd love to see more anger from him, since I think that passive nonsense hurts his impact on the court... But I respect his intelligence if nothing else.
PTI anr Around the horn are a couple of my favorite ESPN programs. They have some good viewpoints on those shows.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Wow, I'm actually amazed you guys have kept this thread going throughout the offseason. That's true commitment, lol.

Anyways, I'm trying not to even think about the lockout, I'm just going to watch baseball and football and whatever happens, happens. Not going to stress about it.

NTA

Smash Lord
See what happened was, it was all part of his plan but he had to disguise it as horrible dribbling... or else he would have got ejected :D

Jane

Smash Hero
@noamschiller: If I had told you in 2010 that Joel Anthony would be the 180th best player in the NBA in one year, you would have slapped me.

/deadddd

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

All reports coming out say that Stern came out of the meeting in a bad mood and didn't say much besides that he hopes to meet again next week. Woj says expect to hear an announcement about the first 2 weeks of training camp canceled in the next few days.

Things aren't looking good at all guys.

My mind still can't even fathom the possibility of there being no season this year after JUST now really getting into the NBA last season. Plus wasn't last season one of the highest rated seasons in NBA history? It just sucks man...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There was a 5 on 5 article recently on who stands to lose more if the season is cancelled...Kobe or LeBron? Pretty much the summary of it was that Kobe is old, and if he wants to match MJ, this year off will pretty much guarantee he won't get it. He'll be 34 if we miss a season. On the plus side, his legacy is cemented as a guarantee top 15 player. On the other hand, LBJ is in his prime and won't miss much in terms of losing a year. However, that just means he'll go another year ringless, and that's also a year wasted where Wade is still in his prime.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Wait....

THERE'S 43 PRESEASON GAMES? :O

As for how long, honestly, I think half the season, minimum. If it reaches December with no rumors of agreement, I'd say the full season.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Have you guys heard about the new amnesty clause proposal?

http://www.slcdunk.com/2011/9/22/24...-would-give-a-huge-boost-to-the-utah-jazz-the

Two NBA sources told me Tuesday that they believe there's consensus among owners on a few important lockout issues. One of those issues being an amnesty clause that would give NBA teams the ability to release one player, pay his salary, take no luxury tax liability, and also, not have that player count against the season salary cap.
This makes sense assuming there's going to be a harder cap next season. This could REALLY benefit some teams though... Looking at you, Orlando.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Utah's got a pretty good payroll right now. It'd be nice to dump Okur's 10m. Or finally get rid of Raja ****ing Bell.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I always thought he was overrated defensively. When the Lakers were interested in him, I was just thinking, "GOD NO". He's good from 3 point land, but I don't understand why people hype him up on his defense. I saw him get burned by Kobe for over 4 years.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm a Heat fan from Atlanta. :awesome:

What am I supposed to like the Hawks? *chuckles*

Atlanta is such a bad sports city in general though. Nearly every Hawks I've been to so far has been outnumbered in fans for the opposing team. But then again they were Heat, Knicks (Carmelo era), and Cavaliers (LBJ era) games so that's somewhat understandable.

Top Bottom