• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Enes Kanter finally starting to look okay in Eurobasket.

14pts, 6rbs in 16min. With a 25-35mpg game, he should be up around 20 and 10.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Which is just what they need Kerry Collins for. I don't know if I like the signing though. I agree with Reggie Wayne's comments.

And I still think Peyton will come back in time, but I'm certainly less certain.

New 2k trailer is badass. I can't wait for it.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, the Espy's were good this year.

Speaking of the Blake Show, he's interning at Funny Or Die during the lockout. :O

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LOL wow...it woulda been funnier if they had Ron Artest smash that fly.

In any case, I would so hire a tandem of Blake and Love to solve a mystery. Best duo ever.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^I'd honestly be okay with anything happening. Anything. The white noise of nothingness and speculation is driving me insane.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
So..Xsy.. I've been meaning to ask, why the hate with the Bulls? What did they do, beat the Jazz? :p

Aside from them the Lakers are or were good but I think Shaq is out for the count I believe.

Yeah, Football is ****.

:phone:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Shaq hasn't played with the Lakers since 2004 and officially retired at the end of this season. The Bulls are one of the best teams out East, but are helped out by playing in a crappy division.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Yeah, I hardly ever paid attention to basketball in the 90's. I just think it's sad Utah's only two chances at the finals had to be stopped by the GOAT.

OmegaXXII

The 90's basketball was the best, at least The Rockets had Charles Barkley and other legends, it was also around the time I saw Michael Jordan making some of his legendary shots.

Nowadays The Rockets suck ****, at least when Yao was around it was somewhat decent. <_<

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
90s basketball was indeed the best. I don't even follow basketball and I can name the bulls entire starting lineup for all 6 championships.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Really is unfortunate that it's so hard to find memorable games anywhere from the 90s. I would love to watch the games in their entirety rather than simply watching montages or just clips.

Not to antagonize the greats, but I would really like to watch complete games to see what made them so great in the first place.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Really is unfortunate that it's so hard to find memorable games anywhere from the 90s. I would love to watch the games in their entirety rather than simply watching montages or just clips.

Not to antagonize the greats, but I would really like to watch complete games to see what made them so great in the first place.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HalGreer15

This guy has tons of full classic games uploaded on his channel.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
lmao, stick with your team through thick and thin!!!

Anyways, the legends of the past can ball. The 80's-90's had a toughness that's somewhat absent nowadays.

But don't short-sell the current league, there are players who can do things today that nobody could imagine back then.

Rockets are still a pretty good team, despite having ZERO talent on that roster. :O

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
The 90's basketball was the best, at least The Rockets had Charles Barkley and other legends, it was also around the time I saw Michael Jordan making some of his legendary shots.

Nowadays The Rockets suck ****, at least when Yao was around it was somewhat decent. <_<

I agree. I loved the NBA on NBC. My favorite series of all time is the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals between the Chicago Bulls and the Indiana Pacers. Game 4 was my favorite in that 7 game series. The Bulls were that team the Pacers could never get around and that Indiana team had the best chance to knock the Bulls out of the playoffs in 1998. The Pacers were trailing in the series 2-1.

In game 4 the Pacers were down by 2 with 3 seconds left. They were inbounding the ball at their end of the court. Reggie shoved Jordan, got open, got the pass and shot a turnaround 3 pointer and hit it. The crowd went wild at Conseco Field House. Then Jordan got the basketball off an inbound with 1 second left. He shot it, the ball spun around the rim, and then spun out, giving the Pacers the win and evening the series 2-2.

Here is a clip from that game. Reggie's 3 at 2:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZtm6LZOA4&feature=related

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That LeBron clip is meh lol. It's just knockout. Least he didn't posterize some random kid like last time LOL.

I think one of the most memorable playoff series of this generation has to be the Bulls vs Celtics. 2009 I believe? So many OT games...so many clutch shots. Ridiculous.

Jane

Smash Hero

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
LeBron gets beat by a kid at knockout:
"LEBRON GOT BEAT BY A KID AT KNOCKOUT!"

LeBron beats a kid at knockout:
"LEBRON WOULDN'T LET A KID WIN AT KNOCKOUT!"

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
That LeBron clip is meh lol. It's just knockout. Least he didn't posterize some random kid like last time LOL.

I think one of the most memorable playoff series of this generation has to be the Bulls vs Celtics. 2009 I believe? So many OT games...so many clutch shots. Ridiculous.
That Bulls and Celtics series was a great one.

The more I think about it I'm not sure I really have a favorite era of basketball anymore like I did years ago. I think it mainly revolves around storylines, powerful teams, and histories. When those three things come together a great series is bound to happen.

The 1990's, or at least the later part of it was all about beating Jordan's Bulls. Which team was going to do it? The Bulls had a three-peat before Jordan went to go play baseball. Then he returns and Chicago goes 72-10 and wins a Championship. It was like the Bulls were back when he came back and one had to wonder if Indiana, New York, or Charlotte (Hornets) could stop them. That Bulls team besides the Celtics in the 1950's is arguably the best NBA ever.

In the 2000's it was all about the Lakers, at least in the early years. They ended up with a three-peat as well and wound up back in the NBA Finals in 2004 after losing the the 2003 NBA Playoffs. Shaq and Kobe were too good, then there was Fisher, Horry, Hunter and of course Phil Jackson as coach. The Spurs and Kings were awsome rivals, in fact so were the Trail Blazers.

The mid 2000's was probabally the most boring era. It was more the rise of good players like Lebron, Amare, Chris Paul and D. Wade as oppose to teams for the most part. The Spurs were dominant though winning in 2003, 2005, and 2007. The Pistons also went the the Eastern Conference Finals 6 years in a row, so I guess this isn't all the way true.

As of now there are once again great players and the rise of great teams again. The Lakers won back to back championships in 09 and 10. The Celtics were close to doing so. It also doesn't feel so much anymore like there is a dominant conference. I still say the West is stronger, but the East is becoming more interesting with the newly formed Heat, a good Bulls team, an intact Celtic team, the potential for the Knicks, and then......well, the Magic and Hawks better find a way to step it up if there is going to be a strong East. The West is appears to be in a transition of teams being good, for Memphis, and OKC were sharp in the playoffs last season. Was it just a fluke the Spurs and Lakers had a bad offseason? The Suns need help to be good again, and the Mavs are just the Mavs who could repeat as champs but also may not.

Wow, I didn't intend to rant this long at all.

OmegaXXII

I agree. I loved the NBA on NBC. My favorite series of all time is the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals between the Chicago Bulls and the Indiana Pacers. Game 4 was my favorite in that 7 game series. The Bulls were that team the Pacers could never get around and that Indiana team had the best chance to knock the Bulls out of the playoffs in 1998. The Pacers were trailing in the series 2-1.

In game 4 the Pacers were down by 2 with 3 seconds left. They were inbounding the ball at their end of the court. Reggie shoved Jordan, got open, got the pass and shot a turnaround 3 pointer and hit it. The crowd went wild at Conseco Field House. Then Jordan got the basketball off an inbound with 1 second left. He shot it, the ball spun around the rim, and then spun out, giving the Pacers the win and evening the series 2-2.

Here is a clip from that game. Reggie's 3 at 2:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZtm6LZOA4&feature=related
Haha, I remember Reggie quite well, awesome game clip you had there, it brought back some good ol' basketball memories, those playoffs with Michael Jordans and Scotty Pippen were the best IMO.

What's up with Lebron James though??

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Oh, this is just how people perceive him. People want to find bad things to say about him more than is necessary. There are tons of NBA players who beat their wives, cheat on their wives, have kids all over the country and not supporting them.

Meanwhile LBJ is the biggest villain for signing outside of Cleveland. I mean, I dislike the Heat and the 3 Kings as much as the next guy, but looking for things to make fun of LeBron for is getting old.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Xsyven's point was extremely legit though. lol

I for one enjoyed the presentation of that video. XD

OmegaXXII

Whoa^^I suggest you watch it before a certain someone sees that.

But like Xsyven mentioned LeBron isn't really bad at all, he just gets alot of hate simply because he's that good at what he does, signing out of Cleveland doesn't change who he is.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Until Miami loses again that is :troll:
Bring on the 2011-2012 NBA season!

Whoa^^I suggest you watch it before a certain someone sees that.:phone:
I've been getting crap all summer lol I'm beyond used to it by now... In fact on my 3rd day of college I wore my LBJ jersey to class and I got called a "bandwagon" fan from at least 5 random people. It was a fun day. :)

Forreal though this lockout needs to end soon.

Top Bottom