• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well...I don't want Kobe playing personally given the mileage + injuries. Though I'm surprised he's not going to China...he is super popular there right behind Yao.

I dunno...as much as this is awesome to see, it's gonna be hard for his family to adjust to the culture over there. Hell, I'm Pakistani, and when I visit my relatives and all...it's just a strange life =/.

smh

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles...portedly-caught-parking-in-handicapped-spaces

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What I'm trying to get at is the "culture" change. Different foods, roads, climate, clothes, etc. etc. There's a drastic change from me living in America and then to go spend a month in Pakistan. I'm sure guys like Deron or Kobe will be able to afford a nice place to live, but it's not like they'll sit down and have a hamburger or steak everyday. I mean hell, guys like Kobe have nice cars and I know for a fact Kobe has a helicopter. It's gonna be tough spending a lot of your life over there without those luxuries.

And let's not forget the language barrier.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I never thought the NBA could potentially be outsourced to other countries to this extent. The NBA lockout is more serious than I originally thought.

Jane

Smash Hero
What I'm trying to get at is the "culture" change. Different foods, roads, climate, clothes, etc. etc. There's a drastic change from me living in America and then to go spend a month in Pakistan. I'm sure guys like Deron or Kobe will be able to afford a nice place to live, but it's not like they'll sit down and have a hamburger or steak everyday. I mean hell, guys like Kobe have nice cars and I know for a fact Kobe has a helicopter. It's gonna be tough spending a lot of your life over there without those luxuries.

And let's not forget the language barrier.
ohhh, i thought you were implying that pakistan was somehow very similar to turkey (since they're kinda sorta close to each other and all). my fault my fault.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think they might make Webber go out as a broadcaster for games like Reggie.
That would be great. I always thought he was suited for that, even when he was a player.

I never thought the NBA could potentially be outsourced to other countries to this extent. The NBA lockout is more serious than I originally thought.
Honestly, you know what'd be funny? If players who didn't go to college like LeBron James went to college to play. The competition in college is probably better than in the Euro League.

Plus I want to see Austin Rivers dunk on LeBron! :laugh:

The realist in me thinks Yao won't be a Hall of Famer, but the optimist in me hopes they will consider what he brought to the game, as well as to the international community and globalizing the sport. If they take the latter into consideration, I think he would be a shoo-in as a Hall of Famer.
I think Yao has a couple of things going for him in the HOF voting. Yao was an exceptional free throw shooter, and had good shooting success. He also had great post-season success, and great post-season numbers. His rebounds numbers were pretty good (maybe great). He had a variety of scoring moves, and good legs until injuries plagued his latter part of his career.

However, Yao played in an era without dominate centers to face. The only "truly great" center is Dwight Howard now. If Yao had faced and played in the era of centers like Barkley, Hakeem, a young Shaq, or Kareem and performed well, he could easily make it into the HOF.

Still, I think he'll make it into the HOF. Maybe not on the first year ballot, but maybe in like his fourth of fifth year eligible (much like Chris Mullen), especially because of his impact on basketball in Asia. I think he literally may have put basketball on the map in Asia, and by then there will be many more Asian-born players in the NBA, and various professional basketball leagues around the globe. Still, there are noticeable omissions, like Don Nelson, Reggie Miler (probably because all the voters are Knicks fans who think the current Knicks play great defense!), etc. :chuckle:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If I may ask, what is the lockout?

Man I feel so out of this. :urg:

:phone:
Basically the Players Union and the Owners are "trying" to negotiate a new long term contract that will consist of mainly salary changes among other things. Without this contract, the players cannot play, and the owners have no team to put on the floor. Hence a 'lockout" because both sides can't come to an agreement.

Owners want the players to take a huge paycut...basically about 300 million total, and have a hard Salary cap. Also they want players to lessen their share of the revenue (currently it's like 57-43).

Players are arguing that income is at an all time high, and are blaming the managers for paying the useless players so much money. However, they are willing to lower their revenue share along with the length of each contract. Unfortunately, they don't want to do the whole 300 million cut.

Basically, people are saying expect no season this upcoming year.

Btw, I find it hilarious how they are asking players to take a paycut when Stern himself makes 15 mil a year WITHOUT bonuses.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Honestly, it's all the owners' fault in the first place. Massive contracts to bench-level talent? I don't have the figures with me because I stopped caring until they get closer to a deal, but there were some hilarious contracts out there.

Granted, the players are going to make this ugly because the NBA was more profitable to play in than ever before... but I can't really blame them too much.

However, they're going to have to make some concessions. The NBA can't function the way it was, too many teams were losing money and not worth owning. Contraction would be a terrible thing to experience, hopefully it never comes to that.

By the way, Hello to all the new faces in the thread since I left, and Hello again to all the old ones. :D

Orboknown

Smash Hero
The lockout..such an ugly thing in all branches of sports.Anyways,as i have not been following bball this summer,any major players move?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, it's okay man. Just come back around when the lockout ends or is closer to ending, we'll keep you updated on big moves. Rumors will start swirling the closer it gets.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
There was one, is it gone? I'll restart it for sure if there isn't one now.

Might as well talk about football in here until then. XD

Not like we've got roundball. :(

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
J. E. T. S. JETS JETS JETS.

Dallas fan here.

I find it funny how me and Bored seem to like teams that are rivals. :O

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My 49ers...forever alone.

Only move they made was getting Braylon Edwards. Crabtree is "hurt", and they finally released that useless overpaid Nate Clements.

I was hoping they'd get Awesome-ooga.

Tampa is hilarious though...50 mil in cap room and they don't do anything with it LOL.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Lions are my team. I'm hoping they can take the next step and at least be in the playoff hunt. It's a bummer all their draft picks are injured. With Leshoure out for the season the Lions already lost some offensive power.

Woot Woot post 750.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Lions have been good of late. Much better than they were expected to be.

Sadly, the 49'ers don't look like a threat at all. :\

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lmfao...Basketball related. Artest is visiting the Jets Basketball team in England...where he plans to play overseas.

Metta World Peace...ready to stop them riots.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
lions did some good drafting lately.
Im gonna miss braylon on the Jets..
but hopefully plaxico can keep away from guns and catch some passes.Mason can probably contribute some.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Personally, if I had the choice of paying either Braylon or Plax a one year, 3.5 million contract, I'd go with Braylon because he's younger, proven, and isn't the guy who hasn't played in the past two seasons.

Mason, I like...but he is way too old and Holmes is the guy who uses the slot...Mason can't be a WR out there trying to beat man to man. Should've kept Cotchery.

Basically, they got two slow receivers on the outside, and Holmes on the inside.

Jane

Smash Hero
i enjoy watching football, but i dont follow it. Cept superbowl of course.

I do love playing madden though. Always down for some madden haha

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My 49ers...forever alone.

Only move they made was getting Braylon Edwards. Crabtree is "hurt", and they finally released that useless overpaid Nate Clements.

I was hoping they'd get Awesome-ooga.

Tampa is hilarious though...50 mil in cap room and they don't do anything with it LOL.
My 49ers got a couple young d-backs that were badly needed (Glad to see that loser Clements go!), plus the 9ers got more reliable backups in every position (except middle linebacker), and upgraded the center position, and got a great quarterback of the future waiting. And Aldon Smith is a beast. He went to Missouri, and broke all of Justin Smith's records (the 49ers current two time Pro Bowl defensive end who's never missed a game). Albeit Takeo Spikes' exits still hurts, but at least they didn't sign T NO!

Still, us 49ers (and Cardinals and Seahawks) fans worst fear in Free Agency has been realized; Sam Bradford (probable Future Hall of Famer; last young QB I said that for was Aaron Rodgers) has receivers that know what a football looks like. The Rams are going to own the NFC West in the 2010's unless he gets injured. At least the Seahawks are gonna suck! :laugh: Seriously, Tavaris Jackson (whom would be 4th on the Vikings current QB depth chart) and Charlie Whitehurst (whom the Chargers let go) are your quarterbacks. Really?

Tampa is fail. They could've signed everyone the Eagles, Patriots, Jets, and Seahawks signed and then some (corner Jonathan Joseph, receiver Braylon Edwards). Could you imagine that team? There's no reason they couldn't win the Super Bowl with Josh Freeman (or Vince Young/Kyle Orton/hell even a wide receiver) under center.

Also, this NBA lockout is WAYYY different from the NFL Lockout. All the NFL teams were making a profit; nearly all the NBA teams are losing a profit (minus teams like the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Mavericks, and Knicks). On top of that, bench players are payed too much, the flex cap lock system just doesn't work, and the regular season only matters for development and bottom tier teams.

To make matters worse, the players may opt out of a season by playing in the Euro or China Leagues to get a better deal (Euro League is overrated; US High School Basketball > Euro League). It also doesn't hurt a good amount of the NBA owners are brain dead (the NFL really only has Al Davis, Mike Brown, and Dan Snyder), and Commissioner David Stern is an awful, awful Commissioner who has had a job way too long (his rookie year was Larry Bird and Magic Johnson's rookie year).

[ends Wall of Text]

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
You're right about the lock-out, but Euroball is NOT worse than High School Basketball. lol

And David Stern isn't a bad commish all things considered, it's the owners that are so crappy as a whole.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The best of the current Euro-League could definitely be beat by the best high school players around the world. Heck, Austin Rivers (who's now going to Duke), could easily beat any Euro-League player, unless they were of true underrated superstar potential like Manu Ginóbili (one of the best draft steals ever!).

Noteable players who have come to the NBA straight out of high school: Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bidum, Dorell Wright.

Notable players to have come from the Euro League: Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Tony Parker, Manu Ginóbili.

And while I agree the owners are terrible (thank God my team, the Warriors finally got owners that CARE! I'm sure seeing as how you're from San Antonio you're satisfied with your ownership, or at least your coach and Hall of Fame squad), but I think David Stern has kind of lost it. He was great in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's, but he hasn't done much since the early 2000's. And the NBA needs change, and a new Commissioner would hopefully show that change and be a part of that change. My 2 and a half cents at least... >.>

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Well, I'm willing to concede that I would like a new commissioner. Someone who can take charge of the business side of things. So yeah.

But Euroball is so far past what people realize dude. Sure, high school has some great players every once in a while, but Euroball has grown men who are in their prime. It's just the ages involved. There's plenty of European talent that is in the league, even if they're not superstars.

And you left KG off your High School list. Replace Dirk with him since Dirk came from overseas and would've been a Euroballer if he wasn't in the NBA so early.

Besides, a quarter of this year's first round draft were overseas people nobody knows. lol

Top Bottom