• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
^Stupid article. He's not blaming God for the loss what he said was a very common phrase. "It's not my time."

He knows he got beat by a better team, hence the reason "his time wasn't now." Common people...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^Stupid article. He's not blaming God for the loss what he said was a very common phrase. "It's not my time."

He knows he got beat by a better team, hence the reason "his time wasn't now." Common people...
Did you just ignore the part where he said "The Greater Man"? Personally, I don't buy into "God" doesn't want you to win right now. I feel like it is in your control, and LBJ being lackadaisical for this series was not something "God" made him do.

Imagine if Dallas decides to go a year without CHandler and get Dwight next year...daaang.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Did you just ignore the part where he said "The Greater Man"? Personally, I don't buy into "God" doesn't want you to win right now. I feel like it is in your control, and LBJ being lackadaisical for this series was not something "God" made him do.

Imagine if Dallas decides to go a year without CHandler and get Dwight next year...daaang.
If he was interviewed right now by ESPN and they asked him why his team lost he obviously wouldn't reply by saying "God didn't allow it." The tweet was more of a hope for what's to come, not a "God didn't allow me to win it." It's just his own belief. I personally don't think God gives two **** about NBA basketball, but if it's what keeps LBJ sane and hopefull, then so be it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, that article overall was lol worthy. I do like the bleacher report website with their slideshow/reasons for any given event.

At the end of the day, LBJ should not have said that. He had the ability to control the wins in this game by trying harder. On top of that, you don't see other players using that excuse. You didn't hear that from Dirk and Kidd all these years. You didn't hear that from Kobe, KD, or anyone else this year. As cliche as it is, it's best to say "I didn't play good enough" and admit that you failed.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Sorry TRG I thought someone said D-Wade instead of Dwight, didn't know when D-Wade was becoming a free agent :p

LBJ choked so hard lmao. Ask him for a dollar, he can't produce a fourth quarter.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
No offense against the Mavs but I really don't see them cruising through the playoffs again like they did this year. They just had one of those playoff runs where their team couldn't be stopped by anyone thanks to their insane shooting sprees (combined with good team basketball of course). I just don't see them replicating the insane amount of amazing performances that they had this year.

But with that being said another Heat/Mavs Finals would be extremely epic, no? Heat won in 2006 and Mavs just won in 2011... Who wins the tiebreaker?

Ugh I need to change my avatar. :(

frotaz37

Smash Lord
The Heat could have won if Lebron tried harder
Anyone who thinks it's that simple doesn't understand competitive basketball or the ridiculously fast pace of the pro game.

I mean come on, it's not like he was playing against level 1 CPUs.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I wouldn't say "try" harder, but the nerves and pressure clearly got to him. Was he is "normal" self, then things could have been different. When he's on the biggest stage or when his team is expected to win, but is losing...he cracks under pressure.

With that being said, playing hot potato with the ball and expecting Juwan Howard or Miller to keep making shots is lolworthy. Critics were already talking about how on some possessions, he didn't even LOOK at the hoop when he had the ball. He was always looking to pass it. In Game 3 or 4, Wade was going at LBJ during the fourth to "step it up".

And no one is giving Dallas any respect. Yes they were ridiculous from 3 Games 5 and 6, but come on...unless one of their key guys regresses like mad...Dirk's shot is still unguradable, their defense WILL be better with Butler back along with their offense. Chandler is in his prime. Kidd will continue to shoot well from 3's, and Terry has proven to have a killer instinct.

Oh and Barea isn't gonna suck all of a sudden. The team looks to one another in order to have success. If one guy is playing bad, another guy will pick him up.

If I had to make a top 4 in the West list right now...it'd go Dallas, Thunder, Memphis, Lakers. I'm not gonna give Portland any credit because they are always hurt. Denver...a big question mark going into the season. Clippers are still a year or two away. Memphis can be dangerous though with Gay returning.

Dallas - Champs, so they earn their top spot.
Thunder - KD and Westbrook will only get better. A very young team.
Lakers - Despite their inconsistencies, I think Mike Brown will instill a better hard working system compared to Phil's "Zen" approach.
Memphis - Primary offensive options will be Gay and Randolph. Got Mayo coming off the bench. Two defensive studs in Allen and Battier. Gasol still getting better. Too good.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
LeBron just choked, that's really all. He doesn't usually have to go into high pressure situations, but D-Wade was so freaking insane. He only needs to work on threes and free throws.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
He choked big time for reasons I might never fully understand.

LBJ murdered Boston in crunch time and demolished the best defense in the Eastern Conference and arguablyin the league. After the Chicago series I thought LeBron was a man who just couldn't be stopped and he would finally solidify his spot as the best player in the NBA today.

But now here we are doubting him YET AGAIN after a season is over thanks to how non-existent he was in the Finals. He took 3 steps forward during the playoffs and then took 5 steps back after going against Dallas. He absolutely blew it. All of those amazing performances he had this year will all be forgotten thanks to a single series and instead he'll be remembered as the biggest choker in the NBA as of now.

Even I'll admit as a Heat fan if LeBron doesn't deliver next year to win a ring after all of his smack talk he's going to become one of the biggest laughing-stocks in NBA history.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
I still love LBJ! He's a little bit arrogant, but I think that humility comes in time. He'll grow up one day, and the day he learns how to deal with pressure outside the court, he'll reach his full playing potential and become a true beast. That being said, I think D-Wade is a better overall player still because D-Wade handles pressure, and... I'm a D-Wade fanboy :p

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I really doubt LBJ growing up anytime soon...just look at his role model of a mother...
A coworker of mine's husband used to work at a steakhouse the cavs went to...and apparently his mother/family members would cause problems and physical altercations in the resturaunt...and LeBron would be completely rude. And he you were apparently lucky if he left even 5% on a 1000$+ bill (tip is at least 15%)

And no, I'm not just jaded that he left Cleveland. I've never been a fan. Great ball player, personality not so much. Glad we can have our city back...we don't need a king.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
People can change overtime. People tend to forget how much of a **** Kobe was...still is somewhat, but he hasn't thrown anyone under the bus lately.

I thought JVG made an interesting point...both Wade and LBJ are the same type of players...one of them needs to be different. LBJ needs to go into the post.

LOL

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/st..._dallas_mavericks_brian_cardinal&sportCat=nba

Lmao, at the club party in Miami after Dallas won...all the Mavs were there and...Dampier LOL. Lil Wayne too.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I'm happy for the Mavs. They pulled it out in whole team fashion and Dirk balled it up like a ****ing champ to lead his team. I don't care about how the Heat came together or how they choked or Lebron or Wade or whatever. They didn't get it done when it counted, and that's really all it boils down to. The whole show they put on at the beginning of the season makes them look pretty bad now, but I think they will eventually win a championship and everyone will forget about it. I'm actually surprised Lebron is getting this much heat (see what I did there). Something made me think someone else would foot the blame (Bosh lol) so maybe he will come back hungry after all this talk, who knows. I think this whole drama has created quite a bit of interest in the NBA from the beginning of the season til the end, so really I think this is good for basketball.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
D-Wade is probably the biggest flopper in NBA history.
Maybe even worse than Robert Horry or Vlade Divac.

As for Lebron being rude, well. That's what money does to some people. When you make more money for signing your name on a piece of paper than you'll ever need in your entire life...chances are your head will inflate. There are so many examples of athletes behaving this way.

Also, a persons media personality is often different from their real personality. My dad ran into Kobe in LA back when Kobe was still young, and he said he was extremely kind and polite. Granted, I don't know Kobe nor am I claiming to know the true nature of his personality, I'm just saying that at the end of the day, the way players act in front of a camera could be extremely different from how they really are.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kobe has always come off as "fake" to me in front of the cameras when people are around him. He just seems like a guy who's generally quiet and private compared to say Ron Artest.

Wade isn't the biggest flopper...that title belongs to guys like Fisher, Gasol, Pierce, and Ginobili. Wade is definitely up there though.

Smash Master
Miami got all the calls in game 6. The nba is the wwe

Edit: 29 teams didn't get it done when it counted. You're gonna sit here and tell me it didnt count against the celtics and the bulls? Get out of here with that hater nonsense. Also, espn's presentation of the summertime party was extremely disingenuous. Prolly the whole lot of you never even watched it. All you heard was "not 5, not 6, not 7." You didn't hear when Wade was asked which of them was gonna take the last shot and he was like "it doesn't gotta be 631. There's gonna be other guys..." Their whole interview was hella classy except for one thing LeBron said. So one soundbite isn't enough, so Kobe suckin' BSPN starts playing a clip of bron saying "once we get on the court it's gonna be easy." He wasn't answering "How will you win?" What kind of ******** question is that anyway. The question was how are all of you gonna function with one ball. Haters don't like facts, I guess.

You act like the whole team is a bunch of arrogant douchebags just because they're talented. It's just not like that. Plain and simple.

Edit2: Do you guys hate Haslem and Anthony and Bibby and Chalmers and their shooters as well, or just 6/3/1?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not as much as what that pre parade was all about, but more of what were the key things taken from it. Just like anything else people see or read.

And besides, ESPN meat rides the Heat more than any other team. Team has their own section.

Edit2: Do you guys hate Haslem and Anthony and Bibby and Chalmers and their shooters as well, or just 6/3/1?
I have nothing against Bibby. Guy was a great player when he was with the Kings. Same time, never been a fan of being asked to be bought out to go play with a championship team. Doesn't sit right.

I love Anthony. Hard worker despite his size. He just needs to learn how to finish around the rim.

Haslem, I love even more. I've always had respect for him dating back to 2006 and how he played Dirk. Was even more impressed with his comeback into the Chicago series.

Chalmers has always been an arrogant punk. Everytime I see him, he's yapping his mouth. Sometimes he backs it up...most times not.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
ESPNfirsttake says that Heat will have to trade off LBJ or D-Wade. Which do you think Heat would get rid of? I kinda voiced this before, they would trade off LBJ cause D-Wade's too valuable.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bayless said to keep all three lol. I mean, they were only 2 games away from the Championship with having leads in two of those losses late in the game. Would be neat to trade LBJ for Dwight Howard, cause then you got an inside presence to play along side Wade and Bosh. At the end of the day though, it's gonna come down to just building around the 3.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've been wondering about this question for the awhile.

In the NBA is there a superstition to never touch the O'Brien trophy until after a player has won it? In the NHL the superstition exists, in fact most teams don't even touch the conference championship trophies.

There have been NBA playoff promos of players touching the O'Brien trophy in the past, such as this one in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT-WNwbRCuI&feature=related

During certain clips of the 2011 NBA Finals there were clips of players around the O'Brien trophy. Some touched it while others did not.

Obviously it is all a hoax because what matters is how a player and his team plays on the floor, but I'm just wondering if a superstition exists at all.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't know of any superstition regarding the trophy.

Mavs players themselves just want rings so...pretty sure that's what's gonna happen.

Top Bottom