• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Of course the seriousness of that argument is to compare star players and not LBJ to DJ Mbenga...

At the same time, Brian Cardinal probably did more work when he was on the floor than LeBron. Big reason why Mavs were 3-0 with him on the floor.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
LeBron wasn't playing like he usually does. He didn't choose to play bad, he just wasn't playing well.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Interesting, even though I have no idea who the majority of those players were. I used to follow the draft carefully before, but overall I was totally clueless this year about who was in the draft and who wasn't besides a couple of players.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I dunno where I read this, but I do believe NBA.com can't showcase any players (because they would have to be paid) along with youtube videos owned by the NBA showcasing the players. All in all, you can tell just by looking at the NBA website there are no modern players on there. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Also, Mavs traded their pick for Rudy Fernandez, but he just got offered a long term, highest amount of money euroleague contract ever rofl...

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I need some advice for consistently aiming the ball during shots. I get a lot of side spin

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Make sure your body is square to the basket. When you hold the ball, it should be resting more in your fingers than in your palm. You have much more control over the ball that way. When you raise the ball to shoot it, make sure your follow through is straight ahead.

One reason that you might get side spin is because your follow through could be a little bit off. When I was younger, and I didn't have a hoop at home, I would practice releasing the ball with good spin in my bedroom by laying on my bed and shooting it upwards. I had a similar habit as you, I think, so I slowly was able to correct it by making a conscious effort to have a straight follow through.

EDIT: Found this image after a quick Google search. The green is the area where the ball should rest.
http://www.lonestarbasketball.com/training/ps_workshop/eds_glove.jpg

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I need some advice for consistently aiming the ball during shots. I get a lot of side spin
Fundamental way of shooting would be to slowly release your guide hand off the ball, and completely follow through with your shooting hand. If you're like me..."short" and don't have big enough hands, this can prove to be a bit of a problem.

After I recovered from my broken thumb, my shot was terrible. To get it back, the best thing I can say is to practice over and over again. You gotta hit the gym and just shoot hoops, starting from one position and figuring out what you're doing wrong with your shooting mechanics.

The best place to start your shooting is from the free throw stripe. Don't jump. bend your knees and follow through with your shooting hand. Once you can knock that down consistently, try different angles, then incorporate jumping. Then go to shooting off the dribble, etc. etc.

Each person is different, but I would spend anywhere from 30 mins to an hour just shooting from two dif spots, 3 times a week. I can proudly say I have a really reliable jumpshot when it comes to certain spots.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Damn, haha I don't have access to a gym really. I'm just going into grade 9....

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been practicing my shot, my sidespin is getting better. I'm trying to incorporate my knees to get those three pointers now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well if you don't have access to a gym, a park can work just as fine. Just be warned that the wind or outside elements might change the direction of your ball.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure that some of the time it's definitely me screwing up. In the close shots, I think the wind might alter it, but in the long shots like my 3 pointers I always am inaccurate.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, the wind would have more effect on a longer shot than a close shot. But yeah, if I were you...try joining a gym with a bball court to see how your shot is with no wind interference. Better to work on it indoors.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ Yeah I saw both. Barkley's was just flat out hilarious. LeBron...man, he had that typical "black guy" reaction when they do something "awesome" and proceed to show off and act like they are the ****. Only after a bit he goes up to the kid and ask if he's okay.

Still though, nice of him to hand over his shoes to the kid.

Btw, anyone notice how those kids were draining 3's and LBJ couldn't? LOL

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
IMO D-Wade is a better player than LBJ. And I have a grudge for him underperforming in the finals and letting down Miami.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
D-Will thinking of playing in Europe. I think it's a bluff to get the Owners to not worry about their star players going overseas. Just the differences in culture, language, and pay (probably get paid about 5 mil a year), AND if you get hurt, you void your current contract...too much stuff to ask for.

Good bluff though. Imagine if LBJ, Wade, Kobe, etc came out and said this.

Jane

Smash Hero
if I was a professional basketball player, id so go to europe. know why?

gorgeous european girls. mmmmmmmmm.

in other news, kobe ain't never scurd.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
The realist in me thinks Yao won't be a Hall of Famer, but the optimist in me hopes they will consider what he brought to the game, as well as to the international community and globalizing the sport. If they take the latter into consideration, I think he would be a shoo-in as a Hall of Famer.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This is tough. Shaq mumbles all the time, but when you hear him, it's gonna be hilarious.

Same time, that leaves C-Webb out of the picture and I love C-Webb with Barkley.

Top Bottom