• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
If anyone remembers the old "Spiral Mountain with Lyrics" video from almost 10 years ago, I decided to do a mashup of it and the new Smash remix for Ultimate

D

Deleted member

She looks like a poor knock-off of Shego from Kim Possible now. I can't for the life of me even call this a side grade.
View attachment 227832

Gameplay seems decent, but I can't say this motivates me much more to get an Xbox One than before.
The arstyle looks even worse once you compare it to another Beat Em Up revival, Streets of Rage 4. That game looks........gooooooooood.! (especially Blaze)

Hell it's even made worse by Rash's look in KI. Going from a gritty badass jacked up Super Frog.........to something that looks like a Teen Titans Go character is just sad. Imagine if after Banjo's appereance in Smash he goes back to his Nuts and Bolts looks but with smaller body proportions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly, I think Smash Ultimate just peaked with this new batch of DLC

Dragon Quest for the Japanese audience
Banjo-Kazooie for the Western audience

The sheer hype surrounding Banjo's reveal is only matched by King K. Rool's (fitting their trailers are companion pieces). People were screaming, ripping their shirts off, breaking their chairs, yelling their heads off, and jumping for joy; and despite Banjo appealing mostly to the west this reaction to his arrival was universal. I've seen reactions from Japan of people crying and leaping out of their seats; and Banjo trended HIGHER in Japan than DRAGON QUEST

My point is... there will NEVER be a reveal like this ever again. I don't think even Geno himself could replicate this reaction. Which begs the question who ELSE could potentially be added that could come close to that level of reception?

The only two I can think of is maybe Undertale and Crash Bandicoot; two western series that were surprising hits in Japan and are beloved worldwide. Otherwise... I don't think any other character could reach the same peak
Bro Undertale in Smash is the one thing left I truly want

It’s my most wanted that’ll never happen

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know, up until today I never realized how weird my (and everyone's) reaction to the trailer sounds when nothing has context.

"Young man is watching a screen with a gorilla, a chimp and a crocodile lazing around in a cabin. A puzzle piece bounces across the room. Young man starts screaming and crying." Sounds straight out of a Jodorowsky movie.

As for who could top Banjo... people are saying Doomguy, but I have no idea if he has the clout in Japan to pull that off and I don't see a DLC that appeals only to the west. Crash is a possibility if Nintendo is willing to repeat game genres in DLC again like they did with the two RPG characters.

A character completely unrelated to Nintendo, maybe. No idea how Kratos, Ratchet & Clank and other Sony exclusives do in Japan tho. Same with characters like Geralt of Rivia and Gordon Freeman.

Even the best choices people have for japanese characters probably wouldn't top E3. Resident Evil, Tales, Tekken, a SNK character and others would be big, for sure, but topping a Dragon Quest/Banjo double reveal? Hard to say...

Can you guys think of anyone?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
You know, up until today I never realized how weird my (and everyone's) reaction to the trailer sounds when nothing has context.

"Young man is watching a screen with a gorilla, a chimp and a crocodile lazing around in a cabin. A puzzle piece bounces across the room. Young man starts screaming and crying." Sounds straight out of a Jodorowsky movie.

As for who could top Banjo... people are saying Doomguy, but I have no idea if he has the clout in Japan to pull that off and I don't see a DLC that appeals only to the west. Crash is a possibility if Nintendo is willing to repeat game genres in DLC again like they did with the two RPG characters.

A character completely unrelated to Nintendo, maybe. No idea how Kratos, Ratchet & Clank and other Sony exclusives do in Japan tho. Same with characters like Geralt of Rivia and Gordon Freeman.

Even the best choices people have for japanese characters probably wouldn't top E3. Resident Evil, Tales, Tekken, a SNK character and others would be big, for sure, but topping a Dragon Quest/Banjo double reveal? Hard to say...

Can you guys think of anyone?
I don't think they're going to "top Banjo" or try to, but the only characters I can think of that can have a similar reaction both in Japan and outside of it are Sora and Crash.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Phil's comment on how this was an easy deal, gives me hope they went ham on the music selection.
"Alright Grant, you have free reign of all the music, just make stuff til you drop and that'll be the list we put in."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's surprising that Banjo was so well recieved in Japan once you consider that:
1-The N64 dind't sold too well in Japan. Remember, the Saturn sold much better there (it is the best selling Sega Console in Japan) and so the N64 was third place.
2-Because of Microsoft's non-existent market in Japan, Banjo became far more obscure post-buyout.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hi, guys, how ya all doing?

That Spiral Mountain remix in the Banjo-Kazooie trailer, who made it, may I ask?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think they're going to "top Banjo" or try to, but the only characters I can think of that can have a similar reaction both in Japan and outside of it are Sora and Crash.
Yeah, I think those two were arguably the bigger fish. From a marketing perspective, it makes sense: Nintendo is revealing the best characters first so more people will buy the entire pass. Worked on me at least, that's for sure.

Doesn't mean a good pick wouldn't make me happy tho. :)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It was made by Grant Kirkhope himself :)
Ah, so what I heard was correct. I bet before the bear and bird were revealed, he didn't say "don't hold your breath" about them in one of his tweets just to get our hopes down or be pessimistic. He was just hiding something all along. Something good.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ah, so what I heard was correct. I bet before the bear and bird were revealed, he didn't say "don't hold your breath" about them in one of his tweets just to get our hopes down or be pessimistic,. He was just hiding something all along. Something good.
Linking his Tuesday tweet after the reveal cause it's super wholesome. The video he included with the tweet is what I'm referring to primarily~

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It looks like I'm not the only one replaying them after the announcement.

Playing the Xbox Live Arcade versions for the first time, while I appreciate the note changes in the first game, it does feel like Nuts and Bolts is somewhat sullying them, especially the ending sequence of the first one, and seeing the game itself in Tooie file select is just wrong and out of place.

And it's feels empty not seeing N64 N walking around.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I am almost positive the last two slots are going to be either Doom Guy, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot, or Geno.
Yeah I'm thinking this too, also a Resident Evil character (RE1 Remake Jill with a Chris and Leon alt). I just really wanna see the survival horror genre get some love in Ultimate.

LMatt

Smash Rookie
What if they went all in and made sunglasses Banjo/Kazooie an alt?
I hope Banjo gets a crap ton of music

The songs are basically all great
YES! I'm all for the sunglasses alt and the incredible music this franchise has.

It still kinda doesn’t feel real

Banjo was one of those omnipresent characters in speculation. And he was also sort of an eternal pipe dream, doomed to never ever get in

It’s so cool that he’s here
I feel the same way. I still find myself watching the trailer just to be sure that it happened, and I get emotional all over again. It just feels right.

Nintendo: Alright, now let's discuss the music we could license.
Phil Spencer: Take 'em all.

My unrealistic hopes. Given Banjo-Kazooie was the first DLC title to show up in the music section (I think?), and how much the music is ingrained into the concept of the series, it'd be awesome for them to go all out. But just getting a Grant Kirkhope re-mix of Spiral Mountain already surpassed my expectations. Can't wait to see what gets in, and I'd love to hear how Nintendo's composers interpret my childhood soundtrack.
I’m very hopeful that we are gonna get at least as many tracks as Joker, if not more. The good will of Phil Spencer and the fact that he said it was an easy deal to make, paired with the fact we got Grunty, Bottles and Mumbo makes me believe we'll get lots of music.

I've seen reactions from Japan of people crying and leaping out of their seats; and Banjo trended HIGHER in Japan than DRAGON QUEST
I didn't know that! Very happy to hear it! I always knew B&K were popular there, but didn't think they'd trend higher than DQ of all things.

I think that B&K just touched so many people in their golden days, and suddenly they went MIA (save for Nuts and Bolts, but we all know that it wasn't really a B&K game) And people still hoped they would come back, but it just seemed so unlikely that the majority preferred to let them stay in their memories.

They coming back just brought out all of that joy and love they once had. It's a really beautiful thing to witness.

Ah, so what I heard was correct. I bet before the bear and bird were revealed, he didn't say "don't hold your breath" about them in one of his tweets just to get our hopes down or be pessimistic,. He was just hiding something all along. Something good.
Does someone remember when he tweeted that thing about a pig flying out the window? When was that? I'd like to see if it matches with the time he said Nintendo contacted him.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm okay with the last two third party don't be as big... in part because it would have higher possibilities of connecting with me somehow (because I know the main characters in the speculation that aren't Bandana Dee and Crash doesn't really click with me xD).

I think the last time I was 100% excited about an annoucement was with Cloud's reveal; but I definitely enjoyed many of them like the Rare Brahs of course.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The arstyle looks even worse once you compare it to another Beat Em Up revival, Streets of Rage 4. That game looks........gooooooooood.! (especially Blaze)

Hell it's even made worse by Rash's look in KI. Going from a gritty badass jacked up Super Frog.........to something that looks like a Teen Titans Go character is just sad. Imagine if after Banjo's appereance in Smash he goes back to his Nuts and Bolts looks but with smaller body proportions.
I do suspect that the artstyle change was partly budget-based (certainly a hell of a lot cheaper to make Battletoads look like something from Newgrounds or Castle Crashers than having the entire game be 3D rendered a la KI), partly to give it its own identity visually.

That said, the Newgrounds / Castle Crashers art style (side note: I can see the resemblance to TTG, but TTG has several key differences to the two examples) leans very much towards subjective / acquired taste territory. So I'm not surprised by the very mixed reactions to Battletoads' artstyle - saw that personally with stuff like Alien Hominid back when it first came out (mid-2000s). Some loved the artstyle and became fans of it, others were turned off and didn't bother afterwards.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm really itching to replay Banjo-Kazooie but I'm still holding out hope for that Rare Replay Switch announcement!

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I think the last time I was 100% excited about an annoucement was with Cloud's reveal; but I definitely enjoyed many of them like the Rare Brahs of course.
I think Cloud's reveal had us all hyped up. When my mom showed it to me, I didn't even know what Final Fantasy was, but when I saw that Final Fantasy VII logo, I went 100% Alpharad hype mode.

D

Deleted member

This is where it all started:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Idk why but I have a gut feeling(The same K.Rool & Banjo-Kazooie feeling actually!) that DLC Fighter #4 is gonna be a Resident Evil character. It'll coincide with the Banjo's autumn release date and it being near Halloween and everything. Resident Evil is really massive and is Capcom's best selling franchise I believe. After seeing all the love it got in the direct with the video and showing all the ports coming, it gave me the same prelude vibe that I got from DQ11 in the February Direct. And Capcom is cooperating VERY nicely with Nintendo & Smash. And a reveal showing Chris, Jill, Leon & Claire (again DQ-esque) would be pretty hype. And since we know about all 3 DLC characters so far, I'm pretty convinced the other 2 are brand new 3rd party characters with no franchise represented yet. Sure it's not set in stone but I have that vibe about it. I'd be stoked for Leon man, he'd probably play like a mix of Snake & Joker. Ooooo, I bet the reveal trailer is gonna be the return of Luigi in the creepy Castlevaina area again promoting the near release of Luigi's Mansion 3. He'll probably be with Simon and or Ritcher and a zombie appears and right when there about to attack it, Leon or Chris comes out and defeats it! But anyway I'm just SO GLAD Banjo-Kazooie are finally in Smash! I personally can never ask for anything Smash-related again, though anything else is just icing. Rayman would be sweet.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Honestly, I think Smash Ultimate just peaked with this new batch of DLC

Dragon Quest for the Japanese audience
Banjo-Kazooie for the Western audience

The sheer hype surrounding Banjo's reveal is only matched by King K. Rool's (fitting their trailers are companion pieces). People were screaming, ripping their shirts off, breaking their chairs, yelling their heads off, and jumping for joy; and despite Banjo appealing mostly to the west this reaction to his arrival was universal. I've seen reactions from Japan of people crying and leaping out of their seats; and Banjo trended HIGHER in Japan than DRAGON QUEST

My point is... there will NEVER be a reveal like this ever again. I don't think even Geno himself could replicate this reaction. Which begs the question who ELSE could potentially be added that could come close to that level of reception?

The only two I can think of is maybe Undertale and Crash Bandicoot; two western series that were surprising hits in Japan and are beloved worldwide. Otherwise... I don't think any other character could reach the same peak
Best thing about Banjo coming to Smash, :) He and Kazooie are where they rightfully belong. At Nintendo. Their TRUE home. You should see one of the Nintendo Store group reactions. They even chanted Banjo's name.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Which begs the question who ELSE could potentially be added that could come close to that level of reception?

Undertale would definitely strike a reaction, especially when people realize Indies are no longer held back. Crash? No, not even close.
The thing is, does there need to be something that tops this? As long as it's not an extremely mediocre final 2 (looking at you, Ken and Inciineroar in the final Smash direct, along with a lot of very meh things), I think it's fine all things considered, especially if after the 5th, they reveal "more DLC fighters will be coming after the Fighter's Pass is over".

Best thing about Banjo coming to Smash, :) He and Kazooie are where they rightfully belong. At Nintendo. Their TRUE home. You should see one of the Nintendo Store group reactions. They even chanted Banjo's name.
"WHO'S RELEVANT NOW?!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When it comes to what's next for Smash DLC, i think an underepresente Third Party company like Koei Tecmo and SNK have chances to get characters too.

Obviously the Tecmo fighter would be Ryu Hayabusa, with him having an entire series to his name, appearing in the DOA series as a regular, and even showing up in other Tecmo game series like Warriors. As for SNK, they just like putting their characters into everything fighting-related (DOA, Tekken, multiple Capcom Crossovers, etc), and seeing how Smash is becoming the new light of the party, they probably want to join the fun too. I would like Marco from Metal Slug, but it's likely they will go for one of their characters from a fighting game like Fatal Fury's Terry Bogard or KOF's Kyo Kusanagi.

For Capcom, it's complicated for me. They clearly have an array of characters from different franchises to choose from like Phoenix Wright or Viewtiful Joe, but i think Sir Arthur is a dark horse candidate too. He's as old school as Mega Man and the Belmonts.

For Namco, the only possibility i see is a Tales character getting in. For me it's a toss between Lloyd and Yuri, due to the former beign seen as one of the most well known Tales heroes while the latter is so popular that he is BANNED from popularity polls. Plus, their gameplay is so easy to implement in Smash that it is not even funny (because Tales's gamplay is literally Smash-like or Kirby-like if you will) as opposed to Tekken characters who would be a hassle to implement faithfully.

It's sad to think Nintendo is gonna get the shaft out of newcomers in DLC. Aside from the Inevitable FE newcomer, i can't think of anything. If we get a Nintendo Newcomer, it's probably gonna be individual DLC a-la Piranha Plant which means they will not have a Stage and/or new music, and they will have to ignore spirits for this, otherwise the Newcomer pool would be pathetically small with no character beign seen as that much of an interesing inclusion (it's better for them to ignore spirits and add someone like Elma, Bandanna Dee or Dixie instead of going for someone like Porky or Sylux just because they don't have spirits in the game)

Obviously none of these characters would even compare to Hero (representing Japan's favorite Game franchise) or Banjo (the most desired character by the community after K.Rool) but they don't have to. Honestly any character that is the last announcement would draw ire from at least a vocal section of the fanbase. If Mega Man was the last Smash 4 character announced he would have caused rage as well just based one the idea of beign the last announcement, albeit to a MUCH smaller degree compared to someone like Bayo.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
If Mega Man was the last Smash 4 character announced he would have caused rage as well just based one the idea of being the last announcement, albeit to a MUCH smaller degree compared to someone like Bayo.
We do NOT speak of Smash 4 Bayonetta here. I NEVER WANTED IT TO HAPPEN. The pain of those poor Smash 4 players that got whooped by Bayonetta...

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Do you think Sakurai beat Nuts and Bolts before making Banjo? Remember he plays all the games of a character to get inspiration for them.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Do you think Sakurai beat Nuts and Bolts before making Banjo? Remember he plays all the games of a character to get inspiration for them.
At the very least, Banjo’s House seems to resemble a (rebuilt) N&B house.

But most likely he stuck to the first two.

Unless of course, there’s a L.O.G. spirit.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I actually wondered if he played the games of the DLC characters, given the probable crunch time they're under. Also makes me wonder if he played it back in the day (I mean, he's played everything, hasn't he?) and how much was drawn from memory. It's still surreal thinking of Sakurai making Banjo & Kazooie in a modern game. *mind blown*

EDIT:

He probably played through an hour and was like, "Nope. Not referencing that."
Well, there was Banjo's house, as well as the design of the jiggy layout. But I bet when it came to Nuts & Bolts, it was hiiiiiighly selective.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
He might have played it, but I dont know if he beat it. Spiral mountain looks a lot like how it did in Nuts and Bolts, the house specifically, but I think that will be about it. Nuts and Bolts never came to japan as far as im aware so Japanese players would probably not understand any references like if they used the wrench for their grab. LOG could get a spirit I guess.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
He might have played it, but I dont know if he beat it. Spiral mountain looks a lot like how it did in Nuts and Bolts, the house specifically, but I think that will be about it. Nuts and Bolts never came to japan as far as im aware so Japanese players would probably not understand any references like if they used the wrench for their grab. LOG could get a spirit I guess.
Nuts and Bolts did release in Japan.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Just for the record, y'all, Spiral Mountain has some design ques taken from Nuts & Bolts.

Namely, Banjo's house....

Here it is in N&B

For comparison's sake, here it is in the original game

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Just for the record, y'all, Spiral Mountain has some design ques taken from Nuts & Bolts.

Namely, Banjo's house....
That's not really a bad thing, as long as they didn't use the N&B design for the characters (which thankfully they didn't), because that would be a rather bittersweet way of adding them in.

Honestly, if it was the N&B design, I'd almost prefer them not in than the "hey, let's crap all over the original games that actually did well, unlike this crap" version. While I never gave the game a fair chance, I was immediately turned off by their attitude towards the original games.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I get worried about the government going to try to ban gaming. But then, I just remember, that they won't. And things like Banjo FINALLY joining Smash Bros. help get my mind off those worries.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I've seen a lot of pictures of Nintendo characters celebrating Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion to Super Smash Bros Ultimate. It's really great!

However, can we get Xbox characters (Master Chief, Cortana, Marcus Fenix, Raz (he is now owned by Microsoft), Voodoo Vince, Blinx, etc. all congratulating Banjo & Kazooie on joining?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I get worried about the government going to try to ban gaming. But then, I just remember, that they won't. And things like Banjo FINALLY joining Smash Bros. help get my mind off those worries.
Good luck doing that, considering the #1 media franchise in the world right now all started with a video game: Pokemon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bro Undertale in Smash is the one thing left I truly want

It’s my most wanted that’ll never happen
Well, Toby does think about Smash and Deltarune's a thing. Let's just give it time.

I've seen a lot of pictures of Nintendo characters celebrating Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion to Super Smash Bros Ultimate. It's really great!

However, can we get Xbox characters (Master Chief, Cortana, Marcus Fenix, Raz (he is now owned by Microsoft), Voodoo Vince, Blinx, etc. all congratulating Banjo & Kazooie on joining?
Razputin as well, considering that his series has been on a roll with a sequel underway.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, I recall some people thinking Banjo-Kazooie could not get in because Microsoft, the company they are from nowadays, was (and still is) a first party rather than a third party and a direct competitor to Nintendo, and things would be more complicated and harder to work out to get them in. Now with Banjo-Kazooie being in, I'd say that they were no harder to get in than any third party character, despite being first party. Maybe only slightly harder? Maybe that thing I said about complications from Microsoft being a first party did not even apply at all?

Top Bottom