• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I was thinking... what art for characters would they add for spirits?

For this list, I will assume the following will have spirits:
1. Banjo and Kazooie (Fighter Spirit)
2. Gruntilda
3. Bottles
4. Mumbo Jumbo
5. The Mighty Jinjonator

(5 may seem like a low number, but for now I'm keeping it solely to the characters from the trailer. I also know regular Jinjos appeared but I figured the Mighty Jinjonator could also cover them)

So what art could they use for all these characters? Here's my ideas:

1. Banjo and Kazooie would obviously use their fighter artwork. But for regular artwork (if they receives that)?
https://banjokazooiewiki.com/w/imag...s.jpg/920px-B-K_Banjo_Kazooie_Instruments.jpg
Image 1, the duo playing their instruments.

2. https://banjokazooiewiki.com/w/imag...stick.png/1200px-B-K_Gruntilda_Broomstick.png
Grunty was riding her broom, so I think the spirit would showcase the same.

3. A harder one... Bottles doesn't really have too much artwork and what artwork he has is literally just his in game model outside Nuts and Bolts... What I think will occur is Bottles will use his Smash Ultimate model as his spirit artwork

4. https://banjokazooiewiki.com/w/images/1/1c/Mumbo_Jumbo_B-T.png
An easy one. Mumbo in game seems based off his Tooie model so the art should be from Tooie.

5. I don't think there is art for the Mighty Jinjonator so I see Smash Ultimate artwork being used here.

Again, these are just guesses. For all we know, every spirit would only use N&B art.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Warned for consistent double posting
You know, I recall some people thinking Banjo-Kazooie could not get in because Microsoft, the company they are from nowadays, was (and still is) a first party rather than a third party and a direct competitor to Nintendo, and things would be more complicated and harder to work out to get them in. Now with Banjo-Kazooie being in, I'd say that they were no harder to get in than any third party character, despite being first party. Maybe only slightly harder? Maybe that thing I said about complications from Microsoft being a first party did not even apply at all?
Plus the fact they said Steve would be a for more of a business choice. Nintendo did just that. :) The Rare kind of business. Ha! I made a pun.

Shhhh, they're saving the Nuts and Bolts Banjo for the 4th DLC slot.
Ha! Good one!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Phil Spencer's sort of been transitioning Microsoft into more of a software based company. Obviously they still do want to remain in the console space and not go the way of SEGA, but they're definitely taking an untraditional route with things. Who would of thought Halo would of ended up heading to Steam? Phil even stated MS's plan going forward isn't just to sell a buttload of consoles, hence the emphasis on Xcloud/streaming.

It's pretty clear that MS and Nintendo don't see each other as rivals, and why should they? They're going for completely different markets, after all. I feel confident we'll see some more Microsoft IPs leveraged on Switch, there's been rumors floating around from reputable insiders about games like Ori and possibly even Halo coming.

Last edited:

LMatt

Smash Rookie
Do you think Sakurai beat Nuts and Bolts before making Banjo? Remember he plays all the games of a character to get inspiration for them.
I mean, B&K were considered for Melee, so I believe he had at least an idea of how the games were. He probably played them back then, as B&K were featured on N64 console boxes alongside Pikachu, Mario and DK. I think he might have played the two first games again recently just to remember how they were and things like that.

As for N&B, I'm pretty sure he knew the fans wanted Banjo & Kazooie because of the games on the N64, and not because of N&B. That's why he used the old design, moves and everything. He might have asked for the Spiral Mountain level file of N&B so that he and the Smash crew could build up on it and adapt it into Smash.

He also might have played it out of curiosity, to see if there was anything he could include in B&K's moveset. But the first two games already have so much moveset potential, if he did include something, it is probably a minor thing. The trailer showed a lot of their moveset already, I don't recall seeing anything related to N&B.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Have we seen their grab yet? It's entirely possible that they'll use the wrench from Nuts & Bolts as a tether grab. I know N&B isn't popular (for good reason), but not all its ideas were bad, and the wrench would be very cool and apropos. (Their intro animation could also be them arriving in that shopping trolley thing.)

As for who in the Fighter Pass could top Banjo and Kazooie... no one. They were the big guns. There are plenty of characters who would be cool, but the sheer, tremendous joy of seeing the bear and bird back with Nintendo cannot be beat.

I've gotta say, I'm not into the idea of Leon Kennedy or any other Resident Evil character. I've never played a RE game and I have no interest in or attachment to the series. Ditto Lloyd Irving and Tales. (The latter in particular, because I really want Valkyrie to be the second Namco rep.) If they get in, I won't complain; I've been spoiled enough already. But there are other characters I'd rather see.

I suspect our next newcomer will be Travis Touchdown. I know Suda51 already seemingly deconfirmed him and I don't wanna go full Steve troll and assume he's in regardless, but Suda is the kinda guy who likes to yank the fandom's chain, like Grant Kirkhope. He's said he would've loved to see Travis in Brawl and No More Heroes III is coming, so.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I mean, B&K were considered for Melee, so I believe he had at least an idea of how the games were. He probably played them back then, as B&K were featured on N64 console boxes alongside Pikachu, Mario and DK. I think he might have played the two first games again recently just to remember how they were and things like that.

As for N&B, I'm pretty sure he knew the fans wanted Banjo & Kazooie because of the games on the N64, and not because of N&B. That's why he used the old design, moves and everything. He might have asked for the Spiral Mountain level file of N&B so that he and the Smash crew could build up on it and adapt it into Smash.

He also might have played it out of curiosity, to see if there was anything he could include in B&K's moveset. But the first two games already have so much moveset potential, if he did include something, it is probably a minor thing. The trailer showed a lot of their moveset already, I don't recall seeing anything related to N&B.
Well there WAS the sign on Banjo's house from Nuts & Bolts, but it was only a background detail.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Have we seen their grab yet? It's entirely possible that they'll use the wrench from Nuts & Bolts as a tether grab. I know N&B isn't popular (for good reason), but not all its ideas were bad, and the wrench would be very cool and apropos. (Their intro animation could also be them arriving in that shopping trolley thing.)

As for who in the Fighter Pass could top Banjo and Kazooie... no one. They were the big guns. There are plenty of characters who would be cool, but the sheer, tremendous joy of seeing the bear and bird back with Nintendo cannot be beat.

I've gotta say, I'm not into the idea of Leon Kennedy or any other Resident Evil character. I've never played a RE game and I have no interest in or attachment to the series. Ditto Lloyd Irving and Tales. (The latter in particular, because I really want Valkyrie to be the second Namco rep.) If they get in, I won't complain; I've been spoiled enough already. But there are other characters I'd rather see.

I suspect our next newcomer will be Travis Touchdown. I know Suda51 already seemingly deconfirmed him and I don't wanna go full Steve troll and assume he's in regardless, but Suda is the kinda guy who likes to yank the fandom's chain, like Grant Kirkhope. He's said he would've loved to see Travis in Brawl and No More Heroes III is coming, so.
I still want Shantae! Hey, Banjo & Kazooie got in! Now it's the Half Genie Hero's turn! Plus, her debut would promote Shantae 5!

LMatt

Smash Rookie
You know, I recall some people thinking Banjo-Kazooie could not get in because Microsoft, the company they are from nowadays, was (and still is) a first party rather than a third party and a direct competitor to Nintendo, and things would be more complicated and harder to work out to get them in. Now with Banjo-Kazooie being in, I'd say that they were no harder to get in than any third party character, despite being first party. Maybe only slightly harder? Maybe that thing I said about complications from Microsoft being a first party did not even apply at all?
I think Rare's IPs may be "special" in this case. I remember reading an interview with Phil Spencer saying that since Microsoft bought Rare, there have been ongoing deals between Nintendo X Rare. He said he understands the history and relationship between the two companies and that they should be kept in good terms. Also they kept releasing some games for Nintendo systems and stuff. I think Master Chief in Smash would be awesome, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

But who knows, Microsoft and Nintendo have been going in different directions with their business ideals, and those seem to complement each other. Nothing's impossible :)

I was thinking... what art for characters would they add for spirits?

For this list, I will assume the following will have spirits:
1. Banjo and Kazooie (Fighter Spirit)
2. Gruntilda
3. Bottles
4. Mumbo Jumbo
5. The Mighty Jinjonator

(5 may seem like a low number, but for now I'm keeping it solely to the characters from the trailer. I also know regular Jinjos appeared but I figured the Mighty Jinjonator could also cover them)

So what art could they use for all these characters? Here's my ideas:

1. Banjo and Kazooie would obviously use their fighter artwork. But for regular artwork (if they receives that)?
https://banjokazooiewiki.com/w/imag...s.jpg/920px-B-K_Banjo_Kazooie_Instruments.jpg
Image 1, the duo playing their instruments.

2. https://banjokazooiewiki.com/w/imag...stick.png/1200px-B-K_Gruntilda_Broomstick.png
Grunty was riding her broom, so I think the spirit would showcase the same.

3. A harder one... Bottles doesn't really have too much artwork and what artwork he has is literally just his in game model outside Nuts and Bolts... What I think will occur is Bottles will use his Smash Ultimate model as his spirit artwork

4. https://banjokazooiewiki.com/w/images/1/1c/Mumbo_Jumbo_B-T.png
An easy one. Mumbo in game seems based off his Tooie model so the art should be from Tooie.

5. I don't think there is art for the Mighty Jinjonator so I see Smash Ultimate artwork being used here.

Again, these are just guesses. For all we know, every spirit would only use N&B art.
I love these!!! Joker got around 10 spirits, if I remember correctly (is that right?!).
There are so many I can think of:

1. Tooty
2. Grunty's sisters
3. Klungo
4. Lord Jiggywiggy / King Jingaling
5. Any of the bosses would be awesome!
6. There have been some "item" spirits, so we could end up having like "Eggs", "Feathers" or something like that.

There's also Bottles' family, those dinosaurs we have to help in Terrydactiland, Humba Wumba, B&K's transformations, that Alien family... there are so many possibilities!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Dumb question, would the victory theme be this?
Or this?

It is difficult, as the note door jingle is much more triumphant, while the jiggy fanfare is more iconic and emblematic of the series. For those reasons, I'd go with the latter.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Just for the record, y'all, Spiral Mountain has some design ques taken from Nuts & Bolts.

Namely, Banjo's house....

Here it is in N&B

For comparison's sake, here it is in the original game

You can also see Banjo perform a N&B idle animation, in the pan around Spiral Mountain as he's fighting Falco and PP

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Phil Spencer's sort of been transitioning Microsoft into more of a software based company. Obviously they still do want to remain in the console space and not go the way of SEGA, but they're definitely taking an untraditional route with things. Who would of thought Halo would of ended up heading to Steam? Phil even stated MS's plan going forward isn't just to sell a buttload of consoles, hence the emphasis on Xcloud/streaming.

It's pretty clear that MS and Nintendo don't see each other as rivals, and why should they? They're going for completely different markets, after all. I feel confident we'll see some more Microsoft IPs leveraged on Switch, there's been rumors floating around from reputable insiders about games like Ori and possibly even Halo coming.
Microsoft has their sights set on game streaming for the future and as a service with Xcloud and Game Pass rather than taking the traditional console route even though still make hardware, Users and subscriptions is what they are banking on.

Sony and Playstation are their main competition and to a much lesser extent Nintendo at the moment since they clearly don't see them as a threat and are catered towards different markets, But in the near future their main competition is going to be Google Stadia and I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon jumps into game streaming with a platform of their own as well.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know Suda51 already seemingly deconfirmed him and I don't wanna go full Steve troll and assume he's in regardless, but Suda is the kinda guy who likes to yank the fandom's chain, like Grant Kirkhope.
Actual Steve fans didn't think Aubrey necessarily disconfirmed Steve, either, since she was vague and didn't give a clear answer. Same with the Rad guy. We weren't exactly sure if she would know, either.

I don't know about Travis but if his creator or whoever is known to mess with the fans, then maybe. Aubrey seemed to troll a bit too...

And everyone, I'm telling you: Spiral Mountain's bridge is suspiciously long when Grunty is on screen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actual Steve fans didn't think Aubrey necessarily disconfirmed Steve, either, since she was vague and didn't give a clear answer. Same with the Rad guy. We weren't exactly sure if she would know, either.

I don't know about Travis but if his creator or whoever is known to mess with the fans, then maybe. Aubrey seemed to troll a bit too...

And everyone, I'm telling you: Spiral Mountain's bridge is suspiciously long when Grunty is on screen.
I really doubt that we'll get a Grunty boss, simply because there would be no easy way to work her into World of Light and I just don't think we'll get new bosses in general. And if we were getting her as a boss, why wouldn't they go all the way and make you fight her on the top of her lair like you did in Banjo-Kazooie?
I can see her as a stage hazard but not really much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Just brainstorming the rest of his moveset is so much fun right now, So allow me to just dump my thoughts here :D

Basic Idea is to go all in on the fanservice, assigning as many moves as possible to the Duo! As well as everything around!

Idle: we've seen them stretching, but the one where Kazooie pecks Banjos head needs to be here!

Taunts: We saw 2 of them already (that Bowing taunt tho!), as for the third one, we have many possibilities:
- a Jinjo flies around them as if it were collected
- The Duo starts their usual banter
- A short play performed with their instruments

Victory Jingle: Either Jiggy-theme or the last part of B&Ks opening theme, all played with a Banjo of course!

Victory Screens:
1: Banjo happily collecting a Jiggy while Kazooie gobbles it up
2: Have the duo show off some moves, like Talon Trotting across the screen, or shooting Eggs around
3: Wishy Washy Banjo...yeah, we need the Washing Machine in here!

Jab: the ol' 1-2-3 is confirmed, however I assume we'll get a Kazooie-rapid jab in there.
Ftilt: has been shown to be a poke with kazooie
Dtilt: shown as well
Utilt: Wing Whack (Kazooie's solo dash attack in Tooie): here repurposed as a swift up swipe with one of her wings, covering a full arc above BK.

Fsmash: Breegul Bash (we know this)
USmash: An upwards thrust with the Beak Bayonet (Banjo Tooie), hitting in front and upwards, kinda like Shulk's Usmash
Dsmash: Pack Whack (Banjo's solo B move in Tooie): Banjo swings his backback around himself, rather slow but packs a punch (hehe...)

Nair: Roll (Banjos dash in BK) or another Whing Wack, having Kazooie spread her wings out while the pair spins around. sort of like an Ivysaur/PP Nair
Fair: Beak Barge (Z+B in the original!) Just a powerful poke forwards. Like Bair it's kind of similiar to Duck Hunt
Bair: Rat-a-tat rap (we know this)
Uair: Pecking (Banjo & Kazooie's B in Tooie) Basically three pecks upwards....yeah, a bit uncreative here
Dair: Beak Buster (Z in the air) easy one to guess; A stall and fall move with a spiking hitbox on start-up

Pummel: Banjo grabs the enemy while Kazooie pecks their head (like the idle animation in BK)
Fthrow: An Overhead throw, like Banjo does when delivering items in the original
Bthrow: Would be cool if he scoops up the enemy with his backpack and YEETS them away
UThrow: Kazooie chucks the foe up and Banjo follows with a punch/swipe. Rather weak, but a combo throw.
DThrow: Bill Drill! brutal multihit Dthrow, slamming the foe on the ground, following up with the drill move from Tooie

Neutral B: (Eggs & Breegul Blaster) Stay stationary or hold B to continuisly shoot eggs while moving back and forth Controls look a bit stiff in Breegul Blaster form, almost like carrying the Daybreak
Side B: (Wonderwing): Wonderful Superarmor move, limited uses, looks really nice in the trailer
UpB: (Shockpad Jump): Also seen in the trailer, However it looks rather interesting to me. apparently you can still double jump after the move. Combined with side B, his Recovery looks rather good.
DownB: Grenade Eggs: Trailer shows it all. Egg can be picked up and thrown like an Item, but setting that up takes time.

Not lying guys, I am stoked

EDIT: I completely didn't realize that we actually have board and a moveset speculation thread now, so please move this post over there, sorry! :)

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
No offense to you Banjo-Kazooie fanboys, but I've never even played a Banjo-Kazooie game. I just know the character from a Fawful's Minion Top Ten and some leaks.
If you can, I highly recommend trying them out. The games still hold up pretty well

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I really doubt that we'll get a Grunty boss, simply because there would be no easy way to work her into World of Light and I just don't think we'll get new bosses in general. And if we were getting her as a boss, why wouldn't they go all the way and make you fight her on the top of her lair like you did in Banjo-Kazooie?
I can see her as a stage hazard but not really much more.
They could've possibly decided to keep her in a version of Spiral Mountain so they wouldn't have to make a whole separate stage, but I dunno. I just find it weird; not only is she there with a long bridge that seems like a walk-off version of the stage, but the scene afterwards that still has the bridge almost seems like it could be a cutscene. Plus, the stage seems to be missing the bridge otherwise.

It's probably just weird stuff, though, plus they're not even finished yet; maybe the stage even transitions to the bridge or something. I just hope they have some new mode or something that Grunty could be in, if they really care about keeping Classic Mode bosses in WoL as well; or make her say rhymes.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Congratulations you guys on getting Banjo in!! He looks like such a dope character. Can't help but feel Kazooie's eggs are gonna be super spammable, but moves like their forward smash where Banjo slams Kazooie down look awesome. It's hard to think that just a couple of years ago Banjo was considered a pipe dream, nobody thought he'd ever reappear on a Nintendo console. It's good to see him back. Perhaps one day, Banjo can be accompanied by Conker! :p

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I just had a thought... who threw the Jiggy in DK's house? It didn't seem to fall or anything. It looked like it was tossed. Anyone have any guesses on who it might be?

It'd be funny if it were Conker (even fitting one might say) but It could be someone else.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Would it be wrong to say Banjo Tooie is somewhat like a Metroidvania?
Not at all. Someone brought up how Banjo-Tooie's interconnected worlds were like a Metroid title in 3D and it was that interconnectivity that made me love Tooie and made a big game even bigger. Any corner could lead you to another area. Grunty Industries is really cool with how complex it is inside. Tooie gets a lot of hate, but it really did a lot for an N64 game.

Gruntilda's lack of rhyming also unearthed a new layer of her character. She takes the effort to rhyme because she can. Her lack of rhyming wasn't laziness on Rare's part, it was her cutting the bull**** and taking the Bear and Bird seriously. Look at her in BK and look at her in Tooie. Look at both games and compare them. It felt like the world was evolving and growing in the two year wait alongside real life. I still have these games and I'm baffled at how well they hold up and how ambitious they are, especially Tooie. What other game lets you keep all your abilities from the first game AND give you even more on top of that?

Guys, we need to really push this series back in the limelight. This isn't even about Banjo in Smash, this is about getting this series the proper follow-up it deserves. If not for the buyout, the GBA game could have finally implemented Stop N' Swop with Banjo-Threeie for the Gamecube. We were THIS close.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
SiIvaGunner uploaded this:

"At the bottom of the mountain is a Jiggy! Reach the end in under 20 seconds, and you'll get another Jiggy!"

"You expect the younger kids to do that, four-eyes?"

StormC

Smash Hero
I really hope the last two characters don't leak. I want to be completely surprised.

Originally I wasn't that hot on the idea of a Resident Evil character, but after playing through RE2 and seeing Joker being allowed to use his pistol, I'm totally into it. Jill Valentine would be a good choice for an iconic female character, especially if she can bring the other characters as alts, and I'd love to see how Sakurai integrates such a legendary gaming series. (Imagine Banjo having a shoot off with Kazooie vs. Jill/Leon/Chris etc.)

Sakurai said during E3 2018 after Everyone Is Here that they've "made the impossible possible," and that feels like an understatement at this point.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Wait, scratch my previous statement: I know the only other character that could generate the hype Banjo did

Sora

Another "Never-Ever" character tied up in legal red-tape, this time by both Square and Disney. If he somehow got in, it would shatter the internet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think they're going to "top Banjo" or try to, but the only characters I can think of that can have a similar reaction both in Japan and outside of it are Sora and Crash.
I've been saying the same thing. Great minds think alike right?

I still want Shantae! Hey, Banjo & Kazooie got in! Now it's the Half Genie Hero's turn! Plus, her debut would promote Shantae 5!
Me too. If we get another Ballot pick for the Season Pass, I really hope it's Shantae.

Top Bottom