• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think modern Kirby was just outprioritized at the time. Kirby isn't really one of Nintendo's megaton breadwinners, and back when the roster was solidified, the modern era only really had Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe for mainline games, plus Rainbow Curse as a spinoff. Bandana Dee was gaining in popularity, but the roster was extremely strapped for non-returning content in general. We only got six original fighters and a measly four new stages, two of which were for the Switch's initial killer apps and the other two being for the two new franchises. I think Bandana Dee and modern Kirby in general just hadn't cemented itself in time for any sort of major content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But maybe that's more like Nintendo covering their ears. Afterall, they had pretty strict control over the DLC lineup even though they gave Sakurai a list to choose characters from. Maybe they didn't put Dee on it and thinks he isn't marketable enough to sell as DLC. Crazy tinfoil hat theory, but I wouldn't put it pass Nintendo to ignore the fans like this.
based on what little we know it sounds more like Nintendo suggests a game and sakurai picks a character

I think modern Kirby was just outprioritized at the time. Kirby isn't really one of Nintendo's megaton breadwinners, and back when the roster was solidified, the modern era only really had Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe for mainline games, plus Rainbow Curse as a spinoff. Bandana Dee was gaining in popularity, but the roster was extremely strapped for non-returning content in general. We only got six original fighters and a measly four new stages, two of which were for the Switch's initial killer apps and the other two being for the two new franchises. I think Bandana Dee and modern Kirby in general just hadn't cemented itself in time for any sort of major content.
Does better than fire emblem

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
based on what little we know it sounds more like Nintendo suggests a game and sakurai picks a character

Does better than fire emblem
And FE didn't get a proper base game newcomer, either. Chrom was a quick Echo. More unique than most Echoes, but and Echo regardless. The thing about FE is that A: Similar builds and fighting styles makes it easier to make clones, B: The rotating casts makes new releases easier to plug with DLC, while games like Kirby are already plugged to a degree by virtue of having a consistent main character, and C: The Everyone Is Here shtick means they couldn't cut anyone, which is how FE slowly stockpiled so many characters. FE just got in a lot of optimal situations for a new character, while Kirby wasn't as lucky.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And FE didn't get a proper base game newcomer, either. Chrom was a quick Echo. More unique than most Echoes, but and Echo regardless. The thing about FE is that A: Similar builds and fighting styles makes it easier to make clones, B: The rotating casts makes new releases easier to plug with DLC, while games like Kirby are already plugged to a degree by virtue of having a consistent main character, and C: The Everyone Is Here shtick means they couldn't cut anyone, which is how FE slowly stockpiled so many characters. FE just got in a lot of optimal situations for a new character, while Kirby wasn't as lucky.
but that’s down to sakurai not Nintendo as you said in your first post

SharkLord

Smash Hero
but that’s down to sakurai not Nintendo as you said in your first post
Not the DLC. He needed convincing with Corrin, and Byleth was chosen by Nintendo. Roy was a quick addition as one of the many Melee clones, Lucina was going to be a mere Marth alt, and Chrom was a popular request. They were easy to make into clones, and then they just built up over time. Bandana Dee would be a fair bit more work intensive, being an original fighter, and there just wasn't that much time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not the DLC. He needed convincing with Corrin, and Byleth was chosen by Nintendo. Roy was a quick addition as one of the many Melee clones, Lucina was going to be a mere Marth alt, and Chrom was a popular request. They were easy to make into clones, and then they just built up over time. Bandana Dee would be a fair bit more work intensive, being an original fighter, and there just wasn't that much time.
byleth is the only one he didn’t pick. He didn’t need much persuading to put in Corrin and the other 6 were all down to sakurai. There are many characters who would be easy to make off of another one so that argument doesn’t hold

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No. Nintendo puts a list of characters on a list and Sakurai get's to choose which characters on that list get's in. That is how it works for the DLC selection at least.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No. Nintendo puts a list of characters on a list and Sakurai get's to choose which characters on that list get's in. That is how it works for the DLC selection at least.
in min mins video he made it clear that they suggested an arms character and the last video made it clear that he wasn’t that bothered with Nintendo’s pick. Nintendo does not force sakurai to put in anyone

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, Sakurai's stated that Nintendo chooses the characters multiple times ever since Byleth's release. He does get some degree of leeway, like with Min Min and ARMS, but most of the time it's Nintendo at the helm.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
in min mins video he made it clear that they suggested an arms character and the last video made it clear that he wasn’t that bothered with Nintendo’s pick. Nintendo does not force sakurai to put in anyone
All I said was that Nintendo gives him a long list of names to choose from and he goes off of whatever is on that list.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
That too, is also incorrect, Nintendo proposes Sakurai with ideas for DLC characters, Sakurai gives the final call on whether he can make the character.
He has said this in the Steve and Alex reveal
1617921695379.png

1617921731551.png

1617921769943.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, don't read into it, but I had a dream last night that during a stream (?), I saw the announcement for BWD coming as bonus DLC. No fancy presentation or video, just a still illustration of BWD on a bronze background, with some text on a corner saying "release details at a later time". I was excited nonetheless, and considered requesting someone to do a fan art of Sak going "okay, okay, he'll be in, now please let me get out" to a crowd of Waddle Dees having crowded in front of his office's entrance. Then I woke up.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, don't read into it, but I had a dream last night that during a stream (?), I saw the announcement for BWD coming as bonus DLC. No fancy presentation or video, just a still illustration of BWD on a bronze background, with some text on a corner saying "release details at a later time". I was excited nonetheless, and considered requesting someone to do a fan art of Sak going "okay, okay, he'll be in, now please let me get out" to a crowd of Waddle Dees having crowded in front of his office's entrance. Then I woke up.
Bandana Dee as bonus DeeLC would almost make more sense oddly enough.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
better than my smash dreams

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I had a dream about K. Rool getting into Smash during the Smash Ballot days and it was similar to the real trailer except the location was in the mines and K. Rool was wearing his Kaptain gear.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy birthday, Kirby! !! This year, we are celebrating with the great kings at "Friends Train"! Shushuppo! Don Don! Puff Puff ~! !! !! !! Please continue to run through various adventure stages energetically! #Kirby 29th Anniversary #Kirby's Happy Birthday

Congratulations Kirby!
#Kirby: Right Back at the Stars 29th Anniversary

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sakurai’s celebrating the 29th anniversary of the first game he’s ever worked on:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai’s celebrating the 29th anniversary of the first game he’s ever worked on:
well he was hardly gonna ignore that one

everything after the amazing mirror on the other hand

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And considering the original Kirby's Dream Land came out 29 years ago, Sakurai has been a full gaming developer for over 30 years. This man has brought us several Kirby titles, 5 Smash titles and one Kid Icarus title. This man is a living legend for just creating the Smash series alone and probably has more in store for us in the future. I literally put this man up there with Miyamoto and Iwata and if there was ever a gaming hall of fame, he damn sure has to be in it.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Happy birthday, Kirby! !! This year, we are celebrating with the great kings at "Friends Train"! Shushuppo! Don Don! Puff Puff ~! !! !! !! Please continue to run through various adventure stages energetically! #Kirby 29th Anniversary #Kirby's Happy Birthday

Huh, is it just me? I can't seem to find Bandana Dee in the second picture...

Other than that, great celebration of Kirby's history!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
To be more on topic i decided to put Tangents into spoilers:
I dont wanna be mean but if Bandna Dee releases i will look at the salt!
We were laughed at so ill gladly return the Favor Woes mad was dumb with byleth but not with Steve yet there where less people defending him then byleth! And Bwd is one of the most deservedly if not the most deserved Nintendo characters eva (intentinal misspelling)
Also if bwd comes in what are your wishes and fears?

It seems that in fighting games most of the time people want some bad choices for example:
People wanting Sheik over any Young link!
People wanting Ui, SSj4 Gokus over any Kid version!
People wanting too many Third partys!
Or people wanting Characters from Anime filler!
I honestly dont get it!

Do you guys want the Wig/Makeup feature from miitopia for smash or the Mii maker?
Im also still wondering how the heck i can put Kirby into Miitopia i think the class can be Popstar but how do i make Kirby? maybe i make Dedede with the Kirby Hat? Im definitly gonna be makin Myself, my (deceased) Mom, Link, Goku But im not sure on the rest!

Top Bottom