• All episodes of the new Smash Brothers documentary 'Metagame' are available on Vimeo! Get Metagame Here

• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

• Support Smashboards and get Premium Membership today!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

fogbadge

Smash Legend
It seems that in fighting games most of the time people want some bad choices for example:
People wanting Sheik over any Young link!
People wanting Ui, SSj4 Gokus over any Kid version!
People wanting too many Third partys!
Or people wanting Characters from Anime filler!
I honestly dont get it!
who says you need to get it?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Thing is though, E3 might be the end of the road for Ultimate as it's likely Fighter's Pass 2 is it and the remaining two fighters will be revealed at E3.
I said that assuming they only reveal one character,, however if they reveal 2 I could totally see Bandana Dee being one of them and the other being more of a "bigger name" kinda like how they revealed Pac-Man and Palutena at the same E3.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Do you guys think Bandana Dee is E3 material? Because if Palutena is, than I certainly think Dee is.
I think his odds go up depending on likelihood of a Kirby announcement of some form at E3.

And I think that's likely due to the frequency of Kirby games, data mine seemed to show dlc intent for Kirby Fighters 2, and us being due for more Kirby announcements around E3.

Oracle Link

Smash Lord
I think his odds go up depending on likelihood of a Kirby announcement of some form at E3.

And I think that's likely due to the frequency of Kirby games, data mine seemed to show dlc intent for Kirby Fighters 2, and us being due for more Kirby announcements around E3.
If kirby fighters 2 dlc gets relesead i think they should patch how unlocking Dedede works because locking Dedede behind basicly a True arena is dumb instead the rewards for beating the final final Chapter should be the stage (unchanged) and masked alts for dedede and meta knight! And dedede would be unlocked after beating the Main Story and seeing the credits once (he just gets automaticly unlocked if you already beat it! if thats to easy they should add a Difrent (easy) way of getting him!

Wyvy - Phoenix Mode

Wings of Fire
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not that Palutena was e3 material(she came at a decent time after Uprising existed, so already had a bit of popularity), it's that she was introduced with the Mii Fighters, much bigger characters who had the same core mechanic. So she was just at the right time and place for it.

Mii Fighters and Pac-Man were pretty much the big e3 reveals. Palutena is a secondary to that. Even with one behind closed doors, Mii Fighters still clearly were meant to outshine Palutena at that point in terms of notability.

That said, Dixie is easily big enough, though Bandanna Waddle Dee is more mixed in notability. He doesn't lack popularity, but isn't that big of a character.

I also don't really see them showing off more than one character this e3. With zero reasons to believe more fighters are coming, and they have been spreading out the announcements for Pass 2, only one makes a lot of sense. The last one would be later on in the final 3rd of the year, just like last time. And no, I don't think Steve/Alex was meant for e3 either, but actually took a long time due to the mechanical issues(including updating literally every stage). It doesn't even look like there was an e3 announcement planned, and Min Min was only around that time due to her taking a bit longer for moveset issues coming up. Steve/Alex probably was going to be released a little earlier, but by the time they were ready... Minecon was also almost there, so being slightly delayed to coincide is a logical decision for Nintendo to make to maximize sales(and they aren't even that great of DLC sales compared to some others, despite being a huge character, so it didn't work as well as they thought).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Hero
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also don't really see them showing off more than one character this e3. With zero reasons to believe more fighters are coming, and they have been spreading out the announcements for Pass 2, only one makes a lot of sense
Honestly it just feels more like impatience than wanting a repeat of something like the Hero/Banjo dual reveal.

Wyvy - Phoenix Mode

Wings of Fire
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly it just feels more like impatience than wanting a repeat of something like the Hero/Banjo dual reveal.
It doesn't really matter why anyway. It's just unrealistic. These are the last DLC, and them spreading it out is way more logical to continue.

I didn't say anything about Hero/Banjo, even if it's implied. It's also a factor of those worked out fine because they were doing 5 characters in one year, not 6 characters in two years. Another is that they were also notable characters to different audiences anyway. Steve/Alex, despite not being at e3(and the time taken to make them work...), weren't really going to be combined with Min Min either way. She might've gotten a slightly earlier reveal by a month at most. No way Steve/Alex would've been ready by then either. They had a really really long delay, and even if you ignore Minecon, it might've been barely a month or two earlier at best. So July/August.

Basically, Nintendo isn't as often worrying about e3 anymore for reveals. But they also are dealing with COVID as is, so. It's not exactly a core factor anymore, especially since the power of the internet makes any time easy enough to reveal to everyone these days.

fogbadge

Smash Legend
It doesn't really matter why anyway. It's just unrealistic. These are the last DLC, and them spreading it out is way more logical to continue.
that does make sense though i personally doubt sakurai ever does anything logically. i think he ust shows them when theyre ready regardless. but that just me

Wyvy - Phoenix Mode

Wings of Fire
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that does make sense though i personally doubt sakurai ever does anything logically. i think he ust shows them when theyre ready regardless. but that just me
He doesn't choose when to reveal them. Nintendo does. He only gets to choose who they are overall and how they're portrayed(obviously to a degree. There's rules he has to follow from the IP owners. Same applies to movesets too). He even outsources the trailers(though I'm not sure when he started to do them, it's been the case for at least Ultimate's DLC if I remember what he said correctly. Might've been Pass 1 first, though?).

...So it's not a matter of when they're ready. It's a matter of when Nintendo wants them shown off. Obviously they aren't shown off till they're ready, so development is still important as a factor, but them being finished enough to show off isn't the entire thing. That's just the first part required, but how long Nintendo waits is unclear. It's why Steve/Alex makes some sense to me they waited a long time to show 'em off. They wouldn't have taken nearly that long to make work, even with some stage changes, but Min Min also delaying it by at least a month affects all the currently worked on characters too, which is an important factor. Even Sephiroth was shown off pretty quickly in comparison to the other two. With Steve/Alex already taking a while, by the time they were ready, Nintendo choosing to delay the reveal a bit longer so it coincides with Minecon isn't really surprising. It's of course something people can't see outside of hindsight, but nobody would've known all the stages had to be changed up either. Steve/Alex having an ammo system in general was easy to guess. How it was incorporated in that way, not so much. The idea of how it worked was guessable too(just not the stage part).

Not a lot of the DLC characters were too easy to guess how their movesets worked. Terry was easy to imagine, at least. But that might be the only one at this point, honestly. It helps that the moveset was pretty easy to transfer over. Banjo & Kazooie also had a somewhat easy to guess moveset to a degree. Steve/Alex kind of did, but it wasn't as easy to figure out as BK, though. Min Min's an interesting one as the whole A/B thing wasn't as easy to guess compared to the obvious fact she has stretchy arms and a very long reach. I didn't see much talk on how Pyra/Mythra would work beyond Rex being relevant, though, so I can't comment on it. Same with Hero(though I was sure he'd have a fairly unique mechanic at best myself. And definitely one important to RPG's. I just had an idea for a completely different one than what was used, heh).

fogbadge

Smash Legend
He doesn't choose when to reveal them. Nintendo does. He only gets to choose who they are overall and how they're portrayed(obviously to a degree. There's rules he has to follow from the IP owners. Same applies to movesets too). He even outsources the trailers(though I'm not sure when he started to do them, it's been the case for at least Ultimate's DLC if I remember what he said correctly. Might've been Pass 1 first, though?).

...So it's not a matter of when they're ready. It's a matter of when Nintendo wants them shown off. Obviously they aren't shown off till they're ready, so development is still important as a factor, but them being finished enough to show off isn't the entire thing. That's just the first part required, but how long Nintendo waits is unclear. It's why Steve/Alex makes some sense to me they waited a long time to show 'em off. They wouldn't have taken nearly that long to make work, even with some stage changes, but Min Min also delaying it by at least a month affects all the currently worked on characters too, which is an important factor. Even Sephiroth was shown off pretty quickly in comparison to the other two. With Steve/Alex already taking a while, by the time they were ready, Nintendo choosing to delay the reveal a bit longer so it coincides with Minecon isn't really surprising. It's of course something people can't see outside of hindsight, but nobody would've known all the stages had to be changed up either. Steve/Alex having an ammo system in general was easy to guess. How it was incorporated in that way, not so much. The idea of how it worked was guessable too(just not the stage part).

Not a lot of the DLC characters were too easy to guess how their movesets worked. Terry was easy to imagine, at least. But that might be the only one at this point, honestly. It helps that the moveset was pretty easy to transfer over. Banjo & Kazooie also had a somewhat easy to guess moveset to a degree. Steve/Alex kind of did, but it wasn't as easy to figure out as BK, though. Min Min's an interesting one as the whole A/B thing wasn't as easy to guess compared to the obvious fact she has stretchy arms and a very long reach. I didn't see much talk on how Pyra/Mythra would work beyond Rex being relevant, though, so I can't comment on it. Same with Hero(though I was sure he'd have a fairly unique mechanic at best myself. And definitely one important to RPG's. I just had an idea for a completely different one than what was used, heh).
does he not? Oh well never mind then

Top Bottom