• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

11th

Smash Apprentice
Returning from the inactivity void to say... with the final reveal nearing, Bandana Dee is still in my thoughts. I'm not optimistic, but who knows? Smash games have historically ended with a first-party or second-party fighter. (Excluding Bayo, who may have been an exception because Nintendo funds her games now.) So far for Ultimate, the first/second-party DLC fighters have been from Switch releases. Kirby has Switch games. But so do other big series... and they could just as easily buck the trend and do another third-party fighter. We'll see.

And a recent fridge thought:
In Kirby Fighters 2, Bandana Dee's spear cloth was changed to yellow. Yellow is the color used for player 2 in the series.
Intentional? Maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the obvious benefit of a 3D title bringing new fans to the series is that it can really bring a new appreciation to Kirby titles overall. Part of the issue is that Star Allies, while filled with cool fan service and becoming a stronger game via free DLC, wasn't really representative of the increasingly great level design and overall depth that began with Return to Dream Land and continued with Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot. Thus, I think a lot of people first playing Kirby via the former game (like Arlo to name one prominent example) came away with the impression that its more simplistic nature was emblematic of the series overall when it really wasn't.

A notable 3D release like Forgotten Land if done well and with the kind of balance we saw in something like Robobot is the kind of thing that could both relaly get fans to play the older titles and gain a broader appreciation of the series as a whole

Oracle Link

Smash Master
To be fair maybe this game lets people finnaly stop being so hateful of Kirby Sa too!
I mean it was designed arround multiple fan fav gimmicks and chars so of course the leveldesign sufferd a bot thanks to that! but i hope thanks too a good leveldesign single player kirby finally Stops being The """MEDIOCRE""" Game series!
I guess its too early to worry you convinced me!

also here i chill for Meteorz:

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling surprisingly optimistic about Dee's chances on Tuesday. Pretty much every game/DLC pack has ended on a first party character, and a new Kirby game was just announced.

If he doesn't get in, so be it. I think he has a better chance than people are giving him credit for though.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Well we're in the homestretch now. Will this finally be Bandana Dee's time? In all honestly, eh probably not. He's still in the running but I think if it was him, they'd just would've shown him at the Direct, where Kirby and the Forgotten Land was revealed. I've accepted that it probably won't happening. It will not be the end of the world. Negativity surrounding him doesn't phase me anymore. There are other characters I'm still rooting for, one in particular is in a now or never situation. Unlike some other fan favourites, Dee will stick around. He's part of the main Kirby cast and isn't going anywhere. They will not be able to ignore him for eternity. He will get his chance, wether that be tomorrow or years from now, with or without Sakurai. No point in doomposting about it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Bandana Waddle Dee. What a cute character. Kirby as a franchise to me, in Smash is 4 characters. 3 of them are already part of the roster, but there is one missing. This coot. And, if we were so lucky to get our spear waddling bandana dee as part of the homestretch, I would be quite happy.

I am, however, not holding my breath, but I will probably run out of breath if he were to become the last fighter. If not for this final spot, I hope, for real, Sakurai or not to Sakurai, that the Kirby cast by Smash 7(or 6) will contain the four-group members that to me, truly define Kirby as a franchise. Good luck.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not sure what BWD's chances are, but I do hope the various polls and general fan response to Ultimate has told those within Nintendo that he's a character that deserves a shot in Smash some day.
im sure nintendo know and even then its not stretch to believe theyd suggest another character from one of their best known series. its down to sakurai so nae chance

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Now i see clearly after the first scene in the Trailer (in which sakurai basically implies death for smash or its chars) i have now a motto to live and make Games by: GAMES (Ideas) Are immortal (in a way atleast) i will try and make a game crossover as big or bigger than smash (or atleast a small one seems more realistic you know im also a bit dramatic) Which Celebrates Fun and live or its memories and doesnt always focuses on the end or Death of things!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, with Smash Ultimate DLC finally over, I'm rather worried that it's going to be a very long time before we see Bandana Dee in Smash. Not only will it be a few years before the next Smash is even revealed, but the next game will likely not have as big a roster as Ultimate had, meaning cutbacks. While I'm sure many 3rd parties are on the chopping block, remembering it took 3 Smash games to get Dedede and Meta Knight has me concerned... surely they wouldn't be one of the cuts, right? Even so, if they do make it back, many veterans won't, and we know veterans will be a big priority for even DLC.

Finally, nothing says a certain jester boy won't be a boss anymore, and if Sakurai does come back for the next Smash, I kind of expect him to ignore modern Kirby again. Nothing against Marx, but him as playable would only further the current issue with the skewed favor that Sakurai era Kirby already gets. What do you all think, am I worried for nothing, or are we gonna become the next Ridley, Waluigi, etc?

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
At this point, Bandana Dee is the 2nd most popular Nintendo candidate after Waluigi, that's going to be really hard to ignore. Even in a situation where the game only has as many first-party newcomers as Ultimate, he's still incredibly likely.

But the next game likely isn't even in the planning stages yet, so it'll be a long wait.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Honestly, yeah... the next Smash game (and there will be a next Smash game, Nintendo aren't gonna leave that money behind) is quite a while away. I wager we aren't gonna see it until the next gen Nintendo console. And given how successful the Switch has been, and continues to be... we've got, I'd say, at least half a decade before the next Smash game. On the plus side, his chances have just (haha) soared after Sora got DLC confirmed, given that Sora was one of the very few characters more popular than him in Japan (come to think of it, wasn't Sora the only character above him in a recent Japanese poll or something? I swear I saw that somewhere). On the bad side... well. We have quite the while to go before we potentially see him. Either way, I'm not sure if this thread will go the way of the Smash 4 one, now that we have no more DLC characters remaining (for those unaware, the newcomer speculation threads got locked a while after the last Smash 4 characters since they didn't really need to exist anymore).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hello. I don’t come here often but as a fan and supporter of the Dee, I to am sad to see him not get in.

But oh well...... Maybe the next game can be his big break.

In the meantime, maybe this image can get a laugh out of you?

Why he tie up the funny mouse?

At least we got Forgotten Land coming next year.
(I think one of the Waddle Dees in the gold cage was redder in colour?)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im not if anything smash related will change i think they wouldve annonced anything in the last direct!
Again a regular sequel with a similar ammount of chars to ultimate seems most likely although could be that it would happen only after an extended port of ultimate!
After all Smashs main point are the characters and smash will still sell amazing with nintendo audiences even if third parties and unnecesarys are cut! There are a lot of chars That smash Shouldnt cut if they wanna selll more games like A young link, dedede, meta knight, 5-7 of the fes sadly!

If the next smash is a Sequel than yeah a kirby or Zelda char is prettty likely i mean who else should they pick dk and metroid have like 2 good choices left mario has only toad and king boo, pokemon i guess is a problem and all other franchises are really obscure! That does not mean that i think Bwd will be next because im sure if sakurai still helms smash it willl be either knuckle Joe or Marx!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
At this point, Bandana Dee is the 2nd most popular Nintendo candidate after Waluigi, that's going to be really hard to ignore. Even in a situation where the game only has as many first-party newcomers as Ultimate, he's still incredibly likely.

But the next game likely isn't even in the planning stages yet, so it'll be a long wait.
Honestly, yeah... the next Smash game (and there will be a next Smash game, Nintendo aren't gonna leave that money behind) is quite a while away. I wager we aren't gonna see it until the next gen Nintendo console. And given how successful the Switch has been, and continues to be... we've got, I'd say, at least half a decade before the next Smash game. On the plus side, his chances have just (haha) soared after Sora got DLC confirmed, given that Sora was one of the very few characters more popular than him in Japan (come to think of it, wasn't Sora the only character above him in a recent Japanese poll or something? I swear I saw that somewhere). On the bad side... well. We have quite the while to go before we potentially see him. Either way, I'm not sure if this thread will go the way of the Smash 4 one, now that we have no more DLC characters remaining (for those unaware, the newcomer speculation threads got locked a while after the last Smash 4 characters since they didn't really need to exist anymore).
Yeah, it's incredibly unlikely a new Smash is on the table at the moment, though I don't believe it's too absurd that there could be two Smash games on one console if the switch remains uber popular. I... honestly hope these forums don't get locked, this is one of the few places I feel Bandana Dee can be discussed in peace. I'd like to think he's up there just after Waluigi, but Isaac exists too, and both these DLC's did have half the characters as JRPG (can't complain if they pick Isaac though, many like him, I'm just super tired of JRPGs).

Im not if anything smash related will change i think they wouldve annonced anything in the last direct!
Again a regular sequel with a similar ammount of chars to ultimate seems most likely although could be that it would happen only after an extended port of ultimate!
After all Smashs main point are the characters and smash will still sell amazing with nintendo audiences even if third parties and unnecesarys are cut! There are a lot of chars That smash Shouldnt cut if they wanna selll more games like A young link, dedede, meta knight, 5-7 of the fes sadly!

If the next smash is a Sequel than yeah a kirby or Zelda char is prettty likely i mean who else should they pick dk and metroid have like 2 good choices left mario has only toad and king boo, pokemon i guess is a problem and all other franchises are really obscure! That does not mean that i think Bwd will be next because im sure if sakurai still helms smash it willl be either knuckle Joe or Marx!
OK, Knuckle Joe would definitely cause a scene. He has what people complain about Bandana Dee and what we dislike about Marx in one character, a generic enemy from Sakurai era Kirby!

Otoad64

Smash Lord
A new Smash Bros probably isn't coming for at least 3-5 years, but I hope he's at least in Forgotten Land.

Or gets actual merchandise, because when you think about it he gets oddly little.

OK, Knuckle Joe would definitely cause a scene. He has what people complain about Bandana Dee and what we dislike about Marx in one character, a generic enemy from Sakurai era Kirby!
at least he's not Blade Knight! Then he would also be a swordfighter!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
A new Smash Bros probably isn't coming for at least 3-5 years, but I hope he's at least in Forgotten Land.

Or gets actual merchandise, because when you think about it he gets oddly little.

at least he's not Blade Knight! Then he would also be a swordfighter!
Yeah definitley!

Yeah Bwd doesnt even had a normal plushie of him! but i guess it could be worse kirby could get as little merch as zelda!

"sword fighters are stupid"
Jrr tolkien inveting modern fantasy:

11th

Smash Apprentice
It's far too early to try guessing what they'll do with the next game, but I wouldn't be surprised if a small team starts the very early planning stages within the next few months -- planning alone could easily take a year or two if they don't already know what they want to do. Ultimate was developed so quickly because the team had an idea (bring everyone back) before SSB4 DLC even finished, so the dev team hadn't dissolved yet and just kept working.

The fate of any potential Kirby newcomer(s) depends entirely on which direction they decide to go. If they just trim the fat from the roster and only make smaller gameplay changes, then I think Kirby should definitely get something. But if they decide to cut a lot of the roster to focus on reworking remaining characters, making bigger gameplay changes, or even to focus more on one-player elements, then... I would be worried about them using the smaller roster to justify not adding Kirby content again. (Though I can't imagine them ever cutting the current three, regardless of how big the changes are.)

Yeah Bwd doesnt even had a normal plushie of him! but i guess it could be worse kirby could get as little merch as zelda!
He does have at least two plushies! One with a parasol (attached to his back, so you can't see it in the first photo), and one where he has a camera and backpack.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It's far too early to try guessing what they'll do with the next game, but I wouldn't be surprised if a small team starts the very early planning stages within the next few months -- planning alone could easily take a year or two if they don't already know what they want to do. Ultimate was developed so quickly because the team had an idea (bring everyone back) before SSB4 DLC even finished, so the dev team hadn't dissolved yet and just kept working.

The fate of any potential Kirby newcomer(s) depends entirely on which direction they decide to go. If they just trim the fat from the roster and only make smaller gameplay changes, then I think Kirby should definitely get something. But if they decide to cut a lot of the roster to focus on reworking remaining characters, making bigger gameplay changes, or even to focus more on one-player elements, then... I would be worried about them using the smaller roster to justify not adding Kirby content again. (Though I can't imagine them ever cutting the current three, regardless of how big the changes are.)

He does have at least two plushies! One with a parasol (attached to his back, so you can't see it in the first photo), and one where he has a camera and backpack.
i didnt count the second one but the first one i was unawre of!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I can't help to feel a little bad about how little acknowledged Bandana Dee was in Ultimate (only as a spirit that has to be upgraded from Waddle Dee and an online profile pic option), while I really wasn't expecting him to be dlc but I hope he (along with modern Kirby representation in general) gets better treatment next time.

Well there's no guarantee that he'll be playable next game but with him being significantly used in recent games and having a good amount of popularity, there might be a hopeful chance he might playable next time.

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Almost time to close up shop.

Even though I stepped away from speculation during most of the last pass, it's still kind of weird that it's finally over. But the future looks bright for Kirby (and our boy), and I'm excited to see where things go, with or without Smash.

And because media embeds can be weird sometimes...
BanDee - The Last Invitation 10-18-21 Col1.png BanDee - The Last Invitation 10-18-21 Col2.png BanDee - The Last Invitation 10-18-21 Col3.png

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If there is one first party character that I think has the best odds in finally getting in the next Smash, it's BWD. He's remained significant in Kirby, is still beloved in Japan, and with the series going 3D? Bandana Dee's likely to get the biggest (non Smash) spotlight ever. He's a character too enduring and with too much potential to be ignored, and Sakurai or no Sakurai, he'll get his chance in Smash.

Top Bottom