• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly? Maybe it's just my major depression over the DLC, but I guess I would've liked that. I'm feeling really pessimistic about getting DLC of any fan-favorite characters at all, so I feel like he wouldn't get in anyway.
That would be a hard deconfirmation and dash any hopes of him being a fighter if we were to get a wave 2. But if wave 2 is impossible, sure.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You can also get the Waddle Dee spirit by going to the game's amiibo menu and using a Waddle Dee amiibo - it works with any character that isn't playable but has a spirit in Smash. (Animal Crossing characters, Shovel Knight, Toad, etc.)
That's neat, I never knew you could scan Amiibos of non playable/spirit characters in Smash.

If Bandana Dee wasn't going to be playable - and at this point I don't think he will be - it's really baffling that they couldn't at least make him an Assist Trophy. Basically every notable first party ballot character has some sort of role in this game even if they're not playable - stage appearance, costume, Assist Trophy... BDee has nothing. He's just an upgraded version of a generic Waddle Dee Spirit.

Pretty much indicates that Sakurai's stance on modern Kirby content is very firm.
Same can be said for Dixie Kong if that's the case. Also, Porky and Sylux are completely MIA so they could very well be DLC.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That's neat, I never knew you could scan Amiibos of non playable/spirit characters in Smash.

Same can be said for Dixie Kong if that's the case. Also, Porky and Sylux are completely MIA so they could very well be DLC.
I wish there was more you could do with amiibos in the first place. Like maybe fighters and non fighters have benefits, like they can unlock you special challenges or you can use them once a day lie BotW to gain goodies.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish there was more you could do with amiibos in the first place. Like maybe fighters and non fighters have benefits, like they can unlock you special challenges or you can use them once a day lie BotW to gain goodies.
It would also be nice if you could unlock characters by scanning their Amiibo. That's what I thought they could do when they first came out back in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It would also be nice if you could unlock characters by scanning their Amiibo. That's what I thought they could do when they first came out back in Smash 4.
I remember a few months ago Best Buy said amiibo would unlock fighters and then they were like "Oopsie we were wrong!" and I was pretty mad. I though I would be able to play as some of my favorites from the start (although unlocking fighters didn't take that long. It felt good to see I unlocked them all before the CPU patch).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still kinda wierd how you guys where totally skipped over this time. Bandana Dee has huge popularity, and potential. Seems like you are in the same boat as Zelda fans, desperately waiting for a newcomer which is weird cause Zelda and Kirby still sell a lot, and have been hugely succesful and popular still ever since Smash 4 and before.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Still kinda wierd how you guys where totally skipped over this time. Bandana Dee has huge popularity, and potential. Seems like you are in the same boat as Zelda fans, desperately waiting for a newcomer which is weird cause Zelda and Kirby still sell a lot, and have been hugely succesful and popular still ever since Smash 4 and before.
It's annoying because you see some series get newcomers in almost every game whereas Kirby has been shafted since 2008. It makes you feel like a loser to be a Kirby fan because clearly Sakurai could care less about the series.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So, I'm not sure if we've ever discussed this, but what's everyone's opinions on Bandana Dee being an assist instead of Chef Kawasaki?

On one hand, it gives him a more prominent appearance in the game. On the other hand, he's even less likely to be DLC later. With how DLC is looking to be right now... would you all have preferred the assist?
I would've definitely preferred an assist trophy, or heck, even an appearance in Dedede's final smash. I was really hoping that since he did so well on the ballot, he would at least get something notable. The fact that he hadn't been seen yet had to be a sign, right? Before I thought Sakurai's bias wasn't as strong as everyone believed, but Ultimate really confirmed it was. Maybe he'll finally make it in season 2, but I wouldn't count on it. At this point, Sakurai might even believe in him being too generic, which hurts too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's annoying because you see some series get newcomers in almost every game whereas Kirby has been shafted since 2008. It makes you feel like a loser to be a Kirby fan because clearly Sakurai could care less about the series.
Same with Zelda, who only got Toon Link since 2008. I guess Zelda also got Young Link back, but I doubt any of you would've gotten excited for a second Kirby. Especially since Toon Link was kinda created out of Young Link's existence (quite literally).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Same with Zelda, who only got Toon Link since 2008. I guess Zelda also got Young Link back, but I doubt any of you would've gotten excited for a second Kirby. Especially since Toon Link was kinda created out of Young Link's existence (quite literally).
certainly only fules my theory that sakurai doesnt like zelda anymore and couldnt care less about kirby thats not his

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
certainly only fules my theory that sakurai doesnt like zelda anymore and couldnt care less about kirby thats not his
With Zelda, it's hard to look for a new character that is both reocurring, and a Triforce user, who specifically isn't a new version of Link or Zelda. Impa is the closest, and she was really unlucky to have a role as elder woman in Breath of the Wild, the latest and most commercial succesful Zelda game since ages. So that sucks. It's also probable she would be a Echo, and since :ultyounglink: already came back, it might mean too many cloney characters on the Zelda roster.

Bandana Dee is in a total different position. He's reoccuring, competes with the "Big 3 :ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:" all the time, and he's got unique moveset material in all his games. I also call favorism that keeps Sakurai from adding him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Zelda has the most stages of any series in Ultimate, not named Mario (Zelda has nine stages, more than even Pokemon). Zelda also has four Assist Trophies in Ultimate (it is tied with Mario for the most Assist Trophies per series). It also has the second most battle items of any series (again, only behind Mario). Zelda is also among one of two Nintendo franchises to receive a boss (Ganon) in Ultimate, with the other being Marx from Kirby (Giga Bowser is a character original to Smash Bros.).

Zelda has been treated very well in general in Smash Bros.. People need to look at representation aside from merely playable characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
With Zelda, it's hard to look for a new character that is both reocurring, and a Triforce user, who specifically isn't a new version of Link or Zelda. Impa is the closest, and she was really unlucky to have a role as elder woman in Breath of the Wild, the latest and most commercial succesful Zelda game since ages. So that sucks. It's also probable she would be a Echo, and since :ultyounglink: already came back, it might mean too many cloney characters on the Zelda roster.

Bandana Dee is in a total different position. He's reoccuring, competes with the "Big 3 :ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:" all the time, and he's got unique moveset material in all his games. I also call favorism that keeps Sakurai from adding him.
At this point it should be obvious to everyone that in some way, shape or form, no matter how minor it could possible be, there is clearly a form of favoritism coming from Sakurai when it comes to Kirby representation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At this point it should be obvious to everyone that in some way, shape or form, no matter how minor it could possible be, there is clearly a form of favoritism coming from Sakurai when it comes to Kirby representation.
Truly. But what I wonder is.. which Sakurai-created Kirby character is still relevant in the modern Kirby games outside of the Big 3 and Marx?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zelda has the most stages of any series in Ultimate, not named Mario (Zelda has nine stages, more than even Pokemon). Zelda also has four Assist Trophies in Ultimate (it is tied with Mario for the most Assist Trophies per series). It also has the second most battle items of any series (again, only behind Mario). Zelda is also among one of two Nintendo franchises to receive a boss (Ganon) in Ultimate, with the other being Marx from Kirby (Giga Bowser is a character original to Smash Bros.).

Zelda has been treated very well in general in Smash Bros.. People need to look at representation aside from merely playable characters.
This is true. I contiplated this as well soon as I played Ultimate. Young Link's return, the fact all the 3 main Zelda characters where hugely revamped and given new / old appearances, and the Ganon boss fight where all pretty big things showing love towards the Zelda franchise. Sure, am the 100% most dedicated Impa supporter ever, but even I saw that this was sufficient.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

theres a million zelda characters that would work we keep coming up with rules on what makes sense for franchise representation and then sakurai goes and does something different

true but most of the stuff is returning from old games in terms of new content we have one new stage and one new outfit and some new songs, and lets face the songs seem to mostly focus on specific games with other being out right ignored and lets face it if everyone wasnt here young link probably would have returned in fact as one of the main focuses of this game seems to be returning content you gotta wonder if zelda so perhaps the good treatment wasnt on purpose

granted thats all just pure speculation but sakurai's is defiantly biased and if he wanted the series could have all the representation he wanted or none at all and that goes for every series

StormC

Smash Hero
theres a million zelda characters that would work we keep coming up with rules on what makes sense for franchise representation and then sakurai goes and does something different
When has Sakurai added a one-off NPC that isn't a leading protagonist like most Zelda fans clamor for?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
When has Sakurai added a one-off NPC that isn't a leading protagonist like most Zelda fans clamor for?
In Melee, with Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf. Though, those are logical decisions and we're only "stuck" with Sheik because of it. One-offs like Midna, Ghirahim, Zant or a Champion are probably what was meant. Anyway, Impa is the only logical choice much like Bandana Dee is the only logical choice for a Kirby newcomer.

StormC

Smash Hero
In Melee, with Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf. Though, those are logical decisions and we're only "stuck" with Sheik because of it. One-offs like Midna, Ghirahim, Zant or a Champion are probably what was meant. Anyway, Impa is the only logical choice much like Bandana Dee is the only logical choice for a Kirby newcomer.
Zelda is Zelda. Link is Link. They are literally the two most recurring characters in the series. Sheik was envisioned as an extension of Zelda. Ganondorf is a different version of Ganon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Zelda is Zelda. Link is Link. They are literally the two most recurring characters in the series. Sheik was envisioned as an extension of Zelda. Ganondorf is a different version of Ganon.
To correct a bit, it was more than Zelda/Sheik were a part of the same puzzle. You couldn't have one without the other with how the moveset was designed. Sheik racks up damage, Zelda finishes 'em off. It was a package.

Though yeah, it was obvious why the rest got in. They're all the main Triforce wielders. This is why Pig Ganon isn't an unrealistic want at all. Not that he is the best choice ever either, just that he fits the narrative. I have a feeling that despite Sheik being a one-off, being a form of Zelda played a major role. For a similar reason, Midna + Wolf Link feels like a way more likely chance than any non-Triforce wielders. My guess is being tied to Midna killed that chance. Which is sad, since there's a ton of unique potential as quadripeds don't get in much.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
While I agree with your stance on Zelda, I feel like there are a few other Kirby characters that are relevant enough to get in. I feel like characters such as Magolor and Susie, though recent characters, have quite the presence in the Kirby series. Compare that Midna and Ghirahim. They both appeared once, and then were never seen again (canon wise anyway).

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
I talked to some people in a discord server and one of them said some people somewhere in fandom think that CHAIN CHOMP has more moveset poteintial than Bandana Dee, this is stupidity

They also insulted Bandana Dee

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie has a Mii costume.
You're right, that passed my mind.

Truly. But what I wonder is.. which Sakurai-created Kirby character is still relevant in the modern Kirby games outside of the Big 3 and Marx?
Bandana Dee. He didn't have a major role in Superstar and really didn't become a important character until way after Sakurai left, but Sakurai did created him though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I agree with your stance on Zelda, I feel like there are a few other Kirby characters that are relevant enough to get in. I feel like characters such as Magolor and Susie, though recent characters, have quite the presence in the Kirby series. Compare that Midna and Ghirahim. They both appeared once, and then were never seen again (canon wise anyway).
they have the popularity and lets face it characters with even less than that have gotten in

I talked to some people in a discord server and one of them said some people somewhere in fandom think that CHAIN CHOMP has more moveset poteintial than Bandana Dee, this is stupidity

They also insulted Bandana Dee
there just in denial, ive never understood why people have to go to so much trouble to say why a character shouldnt be supported

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I didn't know that, because I haven't really touched a Kirby game since the GBA games came out honestly... But am down for any new Kirby character honestly! It's about time that the franchises which build Smash up since the very first game(s) get some more love. Sure, am forever grateful for King K.Rool, but newcomers like him and Ridley should've happened without a ballot with massive fan support I feel.
Bandana Dee. He didn't have a major role in Superstar and really didn't become a important character until way after Sakurai left, but Sakurai did created him though.
Then THIS is the exact problem. Sakurai created him with a certain intention, and now Bandana Dee outgrew that intention (sort of) Sakurai still has no plans to make him playable because of how he preceives the character. Makes sense in a way honestly.

Last edited:

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Then THIS is the exact problem. Sakurai created him with a certain intention, and now Bandana Dee outgrew that intention (sort of) Sakurai still has no plans to make him playable because of how he preceives the character. Makes sense in a way honestly.
Well i hope he changes his perception on Bandana Dee

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I hope someone asks him in an interview sometime about what he thinks about stuff in modern Kirby including BWD. I wonder if it feels like a fanfic to him.

“Okay, so, the weakest waddle dee opponent from megaton punch, you know, the one with the bandanna, so, he became part of Dedede’s army, when Kirby attacked, he challenged him against impossible odds and got his butt kicked. Since then he took up a spear and trained and trained until he became the most kickbutt spear user in the universe, just as good as Kirby, then he met up with Kirby again and since then they’ve been best friends, hanging out together, entering tournaments together and kicking everyone’s butt, slaying eldritch abominations together, all that, isn’t he both so cool and so cute??”

I could make any character sound less interesting by writing about them like this, but still

Don’t forget the theorymaking and headcannoning by the current director that’d just be mere fanfic if written by anyone else, but since he’s in charge, his fan theories are actually canon. (I’m enjoying the lore in Kirby personally, but just think about how it potentially sounds if you’re Sakurai.)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There are plenty of logical choices for a Kirby character. After all there are plenty of NPC style characters in the game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah and there are plenty of "logical" choices for Zelda too, but I didn't think I needed to get into that in the BWD thread lol.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but yes you're right about there being logical Zelda choices if you're not.

I don't understand why Zelda is brought up every time we talk about Sakurai and Kirby but whatever.

Top Bottom