• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The one from Return to Dreamland? Yeah, and he can do it as many times as he wants.

King Dedede > Hammer Kirby

What can I say? He's already perfect.
Phew. That was the only thing that made him a killing machine in RtDL. He wrecked the arena (the true arena was only for spark).

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Phew. That was the only thing that made him a killing machine in RtDL. He wrecked the arena (the true arena was only for spark).
Not to say Dedede can't be taken into the True Arena, he just doesn't have as cushy as a time. But, if you combine him and Spark Kirby, oh boy, bosses beware.

I wish Bandana Dee could be as useful in RtDL's arenas. He's fast, but he just ends up getting to close to bosses for comfort without the invincibility frames.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Not to say Dedede can't be taken into the True Arena, he just doesn't have as cushy as a time. But, if you combine him and Spark Kirby, oh boy, bosses beware.

I wish Bandana Dee could be as useful in RtDL's arenas. He's fast, but he just ends up getting to close to bosses for comfort without the invincibility frames.
Yeah, his spear throw propels him forward way too much, and his multi-jab ends with, an inconvenient at times, thrust forward.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Yeah, his spear throw propels him forward way too much, and his multi-jab ends with, an inconvenient at times, thrust forward.
Agreed. Bandana Dee acts in that game as though he thinks he has invincibility frames, when in reality he doesn't. Haven't used his new move in Star Allies enough to know yet, but I'm hoping it gives him some invincibility.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Agreed. Bandana Dee acts in that game as though he thinks he has invincibility frames, when in reality he doesn't. Haven't used his new move in Star Allies enough to know yet, but I'm hoping it gives him some invincibility.
I think his new move has invincibility frames throughout the entire attack, which is pretty great.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I think his new move has invincibility frames throughout the entire attack, which is pretty great.
That's a definite plus. If I ever do the Ultimate Choice Secret EX again, I'll give Bandana Boy a try. May as well since I obtained every spirit in Ultimate at least once (whether I enhanced it or used it for summoning is a different story, but I technically already had it. :laugh:).

...well, aside from the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee spirits. Nintendo wants me to buy two 60$ games just to get a PNG image of a Pikachu and Eevee? For a system I'm already befuddled about due to what it did to my Bandana Boy? Gee, no thanks Nintendo.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
That's a definite plus. If I ever do the Ultimate Choice Secret EX again, I'll give Bandana Boy a try. May as well since I obtained every spirit in Ultimate at least once (whether I enhanced it or used it for summoning is a different story, but I technically already had it. :laugh:).

...well, aside from the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee spirits. Nintendo wants me to buy two 60$ games just to get a PNG image of a Pikachu and Eevee? For a system I'm already befuddled about due to what it did to my Bandana Boy? Gee, no thanks Nintendo.
Apparently, the Let's Go Spirits will be available for people who don't have the actual games in the future, or at least that's what I've heard.
So, you're fine regardless lol
But, yeah.
I'd eventually give Bandana Boi another try.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Apparently, the Let's Go Spirits will be available for people who don't have the actual games in the future, or at least that's what I've heard.
So, you're fine regardless lol
But, yeah.
I'd eventually give Bandana Boi another try.
That's good to hear. It'll probably be in a Pokemon Spirit event. If we get a wave 2 of DLC, I will once again start expecting Bandana Dee, but for wave 1, it'd seem they're going the 3rd party route.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Even if it didn’t have i-frames, his rapid jab in Star Allies, when used against a boss or midboss, causes him to slide backward rather than lunge forward. In fact, it moves him back just the right amount so that the last hit hits with just the tip of his spear.

They tried to do that for Spear Kirby in Triple Deluxe too, but it didn’t quite work, you can actually see the force of the lunge and the force of the pushback fighting each other (and the lunge wins by just enough to cause Kirby to get hit if you started the jab at point blank.)

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Even if it didn’t have i-frames, his rapid jab in Star Allies, when used against a boss or midboss, causes him to slide backward rather than lunge forward. In fact, it moves him back just the right amount so that the last hit hits with just the tip of his spear.

They tried to do that for Spear Kirby in Triple Deluxe too, but it didn’t quite work, you can actually see the force of the lunge and the force of the pushback fighting each other (and the lunge wins by just enough to cause Kirby to get hit if you started the jab at point blank.)
Oh, so they basically fixed Bandana Dee beyond giving him a handy, new move? That's nice to know.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It certainly seems as though he's actually a character that fights best at a distance, as I'd expect. :laugh:
In Smash he would work perfectly like this; keeping other fighters at a distance Marth-style but doing so using projectiles as well (so a zoning, spear using, projectile using and reflecting [parasol idea] fighter).

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Anyone know if Dee has ever officially been associated with the word "brave"?
One of Dee’s descriptions for Star Allies claims that his courage is what separates him from Parasol Waddle Dees. I’m not sure if it’s really something that’s specifically related to him, though, this feels like reaching a bit, especially when the translation of the word is considered as what has been stated elsewhere.

The mages are sisters.
Are they sisters, or are they sisters in the sense that nuns are called sisters? Their little backstory bits from the pause screens for their individual fights in Soul Melter EX seem to show them having completely separate but similar backstories. If anyone from HAL has said otherwise, please tell me.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hey guys, there's a thread for general Squeenix discussion that nominates and discusses potential Squeenix newcomer. Should we have one for Kirby (or HAL as a whole, which would also encompass Earthbound/Mother)?

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
They're not. The "sisters" part is only in the english version, and the developer confirmed that "sisters" just means they're in some kind of sisterhood, they're not related.
Got a source on that? Because it's obviously nonsensical to say a Kirby character is gay.

Edit: It took me 3 seconds to find this official Nintendo poll that labels them as a family and groups them with other blood siblings. They're actual sisters.

https://play.nintendo.com/activities/polls/funny-nintendo-families-poll/

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Got a source on that? Because it's obviously nonsensical to say a Kirby character is gay.

Edit: It took me 3 seconds to find this official Nintendo poll that labels them as a family and groups them with other blood siblings. They're actual sisters.

Quote the Offical Kirby Star Allies Channel Update No. 5...

US Ver. said:
The Jambastion Mages, who are the boss Generals, are referred to as "three sisters" in one of the pause screens.​
So are they actually siblings ore members of a sisterhood of mages? Just like Kirby and Meta Knight's secrets, this is another mystery that stirs the imagination!​
EU Ver. said:
The generals of magic, as they're known, are the main bosses. On certain boss fight pause screens you'll see them called sisters, but what does that mean? Actual siblings or members of a sisterhood of mages? Just like the mystery of Kirby and Meta Knight, we'll leave this one to your imagination.​
There is mild evidence that they are not related: Francisca calls Flamberge "Ms. Flamberge" in Heroes in Another Dimension, which seems too formal for siblings. Pause Screen text for each individual battle in Soul Melter EX states that they were found dying in completely different places.

Still, the official statement is "Their relationship is like that between Kirby and Meta Knight; We're not telling because we believe it's more interesting to not give an answer and let you figure it out."

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

See the post above me. Also, I don't think it's nonsensical to say a character in Kirby is gay. Kirby is simultaneously one of the most wholesome and also the most dark game franchises out there. A character being gay is really nothing compared to a character slowly losing their sanity, soul, and memories just to try and see their daughter again.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
See the post above me. Also, I don't think it's nonsensical to say a character in Kirby is gay. Kirby is simultaneously one of the most wholesome and also the most dark game franchises out there. A character being gay is really nothing compared to a character slowly losing their sanity, soul, and memories just to try and see their daughter again.
The problem with (openly) homosexual characters in Kirby isn't because they're gay, it's because you're bringing sexual orientation/sex into Kirby. This goes for (openly) heterosexual characters too and why I don't like ChuChu that much.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
The problem with (openly) homosexual characters in Kirby isn't because they're gay, it's because you're bringing sexual orientation/sex into Kirby. This goes for (openly) heterosexual characters too and why I don't like ChuChu that much.
That's fair. They did say it was completely up to interpretation of course, but reading Flamberge's text makes it pretty obvious what they were going for. Not to mention she's the fire one with a curved sword. Quite literally a flaming lesbian. A little TOO on the nose if you ask me. She's not outright stated to be gay obviously, but if none of this was intentional then that is just hilarious.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Hey guys, there's a thread for general Squeenix discussion that nominates and discusses potential Squeenix newcomer. Should we have one for Kirby (or HAL as a whole, which would also encompass Earthbound/Mother)?
Well, we already discuss potential Kirby reps here. I wouldn't think we should create a new thread for it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Where is BD’s Spirit? I can’t find him in WoL

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Where is BD’s Spirit? I can’t find him in WoL
There's a Gourmet Race style minigame near the top of the map that you reach by going through a portal. By getting a certain score, you'll unlock the challenge against the Waddle Dee spirit.....
.....and you can enhance it to level 99 to get BWD.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There's a Gourmet Race style minigame near the top of the map that you reach by going through a portal. By getting a certain score, you'll unlock the challenge against the Waddle Dee spirit.....
.....and you can enhance it to level 99 to get BWD.
You can also get the Waddle Dee spirit by going to the game's amiibo menu and using a Waddle Dee amiibo - it works with any character that isn't playable but has a spirit in Smash. (Animal Crossing characters, Shovel Knight, Toad, etc.)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You can also get the Waddle Dee spirit by going to the game's amiibo menu and using a Waddle Dee amiibo - it works with any character that isn't playable but has a spirit in Smash. (Animal Crossing characters, Shovel Knight, Toad, etc.)
Oh true, I never realized that.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, I'm not sure if we've ever discussed this, but what's everyone's opinions on Bandana Dee being an assist instead of Chef Kawasaki?

On one hand, it gives him a more prominent appearance in the game. On the other hand, he's even less likely to be DLC later. With how DLC is looking to be right now... would you all have preferred the assist?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So, I'm not sure if we've ever discussed this, but what's everyone's opinions on Bandana Dee being an assist instead of Chef Kawasaki?

On one hand, it gives him a more prominent appearance in the game. On the other hand, he's even less likely to be DLC later. With how DLC is looking to be right now... would you all have preferred the assist?
Honestly? Maybe it's just my major depression over the DLC, but I guess I would've liked that. I'm feeling really pessimistic about getting DLC of any fan-favorite characters at all, so I feel like he wouldn't get in anyway.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman

Definitely. Assists might sting as a deconfirmation, but at the end of the day, being an Assist really is the next best thing to being playable, since it does let them get in on the action, even if it's only for a few seconds. If Bandana Dee doesn't get to be on the roster with his friends, then at least let him assist them, y'know? I would have been really bummed initially, but at this point where the game has been out for over a month, I would have grown to appreciate the fact that Dee's importance was acknowledged through an assist. At the very least, we could have snapped some adorable pictures with him and the rest of the RtDL crew.

But... they chose Kawasaki instead. Another Super Star character and one who has less of an identity than Bandana Dee.

I think what gets me about all this, is that Bandana Dee, for being the fourth main character of the Kirby series and one of the most highly requested characters, only got the bare minimum of representation in this game: a spirit (And heck, doesn't even have a Spirit Battle!). No Assist, no Mii costume, no appearance in Dedede's Final Smash or Victory screen, just a Spirit. And Dee has a Streetpass Mii hat that they could have used, but nope! A certain someone from Super Star needed to have a Mii hat instead. To be honest, Smash has made me really weary of Super Star. It's a great game, and I understand that it was the most influential game for the series, and probably the one that most Smash fans have played. But heck if Smash treats it like the only Kirby game that matters (Oh, wait, that's right, Dream Land 1, Adventure, and Air Ride exist too...)

I'm sorry for the rant, but for as much as I love Smash Ultimate and appreciate the work that Sakurai and the team put into it, the matter of Kirby representation still kinda grinds my gears (But at least Masked Dedede is a thing....). I will most graciously eat my words if Bandana Dee truly did lack an appearance beyond a Spirit because they wanted to make him DLC later on... but yeah, judging by how this DLC appears to be shaping up, that looks very unlikely, which is why I really wish they did make Dee an Assist for put him in Dedede's Final Smash if he wasn't going to be playable in the end.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Honestly? ...Nope. I'd rather he not have a role so 'definite' (such as an AT) to the point that his chances of being playable would plummet like Stone Kirby in midair.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
According to the Kirby wiki, it was stated in a Nintendo Dream interview that Bandana Dee was actually supposed to be called Bandee, but HAL thought people wouldn't recognize him by that name (whatever that means...) and decided to give him the name we call him today.

bandee is canon.jpg

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

itd be better than nothing, still think its ridiculous that out of three kirby assist trophies only is an actual character within the games

im not aware of anything that means theyre their own character as well as a whole race like bandana, yoshi and toad

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
I just can't stand the people who try to justify the imbalance by saying Kirby still plays like Super Star, so nothing new is justified.

StormC

Smash Hero

If Bandana Dee wasn't going to be playable - and at this point I don't think he will be - it's really baffling that they couldn't at least make him an Assist Trophy. Basically every notable first party ballot character has some sort of role in this game even if they're not playable - stage appearance, costume, Assist Trophy... BDee has nothing. He's just an upgraded version of a generic Waddle Dee Spirit.

Pretty much indicates that Sakurai's stance on modern Kirby content is very firm.

Top Bottom