• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Unless something comes up for us to speculate on, there's really not much that IS on topic, is there? Talking about other Kirby characters in Smash seems perfectly on-topic to me :p

New topic then: Who COULD be an echo fighter from Kirby? Aside from Bonkers, or one of the various knights (that are already meta knight alt outfits anyway) I can't think of anyone.
I low-key want Gooey for a Kirby echo lol

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I do too, but I don't think it could work. He doesn't have any feet, yo
That's an animation issue more than anything, he could stretch himself in the right direction for any kicks and could just have a hop walk. His tongue could whip out and "cover" the same area as Kirby's suction. Either make a goo hammer or hold a hammer with his tongue.

And programming all of the hats for him as well would be a nightmare. It's already difficult enough with just Kirby.
I think the idea of an echo would hopefully be that they could reuse most of that but I'm not a programmer so idk how much work it would take.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
Since there is not much to talk about Bandana Dee wise, I guess i'll bring something else up. So apparently, Shinya Kumazaki (the underrated director of modern Kirby) recently said in an update that they made Star Allies in order to celebrate Kirby's history (which explains the absurd amount of fanservice) before they move the series into the "next phase". What could this mean? Could this be hinting at a series reboot? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Since there is not much to talk about Bandana Dee wise, I guess i'll bring something else up. So apparently, Shinya Kumazaki (the underrated director of modern Kirby) recently said in an update that they made Star Allies in order to celebrate Kirby's history (which explains the absurd amount of fanservice) before they move the series into the "next phase". What could this mean? Could this be hinting at a series reboot? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
My friend on Discord thinks they're going to make an actual 3D Kirby. She has a whole tinfoil hat theory all written up about it I think. I'll ask her for it if anyone wants to hear it. A 3D kirby game would be awesome, especially if it was like, open-world exploring Popstar sorta thing.

basically what im saying is i want kirby: breath of the wild

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My friend on Discord thinks they're going to make an actual 3D Kirby. She has a whole tinfoil hat theory all written up about it I think. I'll ask her for it if anyone wants to hear it. A 3D kirby game would be awesome, especially if it was like, open-world exploring Popstar sorta thing.

basically what im saying is i want kirby: breath of the wild
That’d be great. I’ve been craving a 3D open world Kirby since the Wii U was announced.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Unless something comes up for us to speculate on, there's really not much that IS on topic, is there? Talking about other Kirby characters in Smash seems perfectly on-topic to me :p

New topic then: Who COULD be an echo fighter from Kirby? Aside from Bonkers, or one of the various knights (that are already meta knight alt outfits anyway) I can't think of anyone.
Theoretically, if they wanted to make BWD a mixed fighting style character rather than a pure spear fighter (kind of like how Palutena isn’t a pure staff fighter) they could semi-clone him from Kirby. Kirby and Waddle Dees are anatomically identical, so he would be able to use most of Kirby’s direct attacks with minimal modification (you can mod Kirby’s model over Waddle Dees in modern Kirby games and it works completely fine, for example.)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Theoretically, if they wanted to make BWD a mixed fighting style character rather than a pure spear fighter (kind of like how Palutena isn’t a pure staff fighter) they could semi-clone him from Kirby. Kirby and Waddle Dees are anatomically identical, so he would be able to use most of Kirby’s direct attacks with minimal modification (you can mod Kirby’s model over Waddle Dees in modern Kirby games and it works completely fine, for example.)
So, he'd be like the Isabelle to Kirby's Villager? I could maybe take that, so long as there are enough things properly representing him from his own moveset to diversify him.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I think BWD and Magolor are going to be main stays of the series (especially BWD) and every other Modern Kirby character will get the Gooey/Adeleine type treatment.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think BWD and Magolor are going to be main stays of the series (especially BWD) and every other Modern Kirby character will get the Gooey/Adeleine type treatment.
I think we might see a resurgence of characters in the game. I feel like we're going to start seeing spinoff games starring other Kirby characters or more complicated games like a 3D or even an open world Kirby game.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think we might see a resurgence of characters in the game. I feel like we're going to start seeing spinoff games starring other Kirby characters or more complicated games like a 3D or even an open world Kirby game.
Give me that Kirby and Rabbids tactical shooter and Kirby Warriors

11th

Smash Apprentice
So, he'd be like the Isabelle to Kirby's Villager? I could maybe take that, so long as there are enough things properly representing him from his own moveset to diversify him.
To be fair, most fighters probably used someone else as a base regardless of whether or not they're a clone/semi. It's easier to start with anything and mod it to fit the new character than it is to start completely from scratch. For example, most of the realistically proportioned human fighters probably "evolved" from Link, Captain Falcon, and Zelda. (More specific example: I'm pretty sure that Falcon was used as a base for Ganondorf, Little Mac, Ryu/Ken and the Belmonts.)

Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Meta Knight also share a base (Kirby), and it stands to reason that Dee would join that group. All of the time saved on getting his model into the game could be put into new animations for his moveset. On top of that, his animations would be a bit easier than some other characters' because he has less moving parts and doesn't need to be realistic. He would be a fairly economical character to develop if they ever decide to add him.

Which would be perfect for a short DLC cycle, right, dev team? [/wishful thinking]

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, most fighters probably used someone else as a base regardless of whether or not they're a clone/semi. It's easier to start with anything and mod it to fit the new character than it is to start completely from scratch. For example, most of the realistically proportioned human fighters probably "evolved" from Link, Captain Falcon, and Zelda. (More specific example: I'm pretty sure that Falcon was used as a base for Ganondorf, Little Mac, Ryu/Ken and the Belmonts.)

Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Meta Knight also share a base (Kirby), and it stands to reason that Dee would join that group. All of the time saved on getting his model into the game could be put into new animations for his moveset. On top of that, his animations would be a bit easier than some other characters' because he has less moving parts and doesn't need to be realistic. He would be a fairly economical character to develop if they ever decide to add him.

Which would be perfect for a short DLC cycle, right, dev team? [/wishful thinking]
That is correct. The final Smash 4 DLC characters had data in earlier patches that was extra Ike/ZSS data, and Mac used to have a few recycled Falcon animations.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Damn Kirby Warriors lookin' like it's about to be the game of 2022 or something. Can't wait to see this nice crossover. A first person shooter Kirby game sounds like my type of title.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Damn Kirby Warriors lookin' like it's about to be the game of 2022 or something. Can't wait to see this nice crossover. A first person shooter Kirby game sounds like my type of title.
Kirby warriors? What's brought this up?

I'd love one but this seems random

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well for starters Shadow Kirby from The Amazing Mirror.

In my first thread ever I proposed the idea that fighters could be grouped together based on similarities. That idea also included Kirby having a group of his own: Five different Kirbys with five different unique movesets based on the five super abilities from RtDL: Sword Kirby, Fire Kirby, Beam Kirby, Ice Kirby, and Hammer Kirby, and Shadow Kirby at the end of the list, seven Kirbys total.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Howdy! I haven't popped in here in a whiiiile

Curious question, I figure that you guys would provide the best answer. Is Kirby Star Allies worth buying?? It's sitting at a hefty $60 so when so many other games are on sale (like Shantae and Stardew) I'm not sure if it's worth that amount of $$$, but also because when it came out everyone kind of flamed it for being so short. It sounded like it had like NO content at all and I've seen a lot of comments saying that you can beat the game in a day. Is that true? I usually take my time with games, even in Let's Go I've put in 40 or 45 hours yet I only have five badges, so Kirby would still probably take me a few days, but still not many if you can really beat it in a day.

I do know that it was getting many free DLC updates though which is a reason I'm interested in it. I'm not sure how substantial the updates were though? I know they added characters like Adeleine etc. but I'm not sure if you actually play as them or if they're like an computer ally you fight with (hence "Star Allies").

Basically I know nothing about the game other than how it was getting free updates and how many seemed disappointed with its length at release. So sell me on it! I haven't played Kirby since Triple Deluxe but I do like the series and wanna get back into it.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I just got Kirby Star Allies for Christmas, I can finally play it :> If you guys want I might post some stuff here as I play it.

I haven't played it yet obviously, but I do know one of the free DLC things was an entire expansion with an extra storyline or something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Curious question, I figure that you guys would provide the best answer. Is Kirby Star Allies worth buying?? It's sitting at a hefty $60 so when so many other games are on sale (like Shantae and Stardew) I'm not sure if it's worth that amount of $$$, but also because when it came out everyone kind of flamed it for being so short. It sounded like it had like NO content at all and I've seen a lot of comments saying that you can beat the game in a day. Is that true? I usually take my time with games, even in Let's Go I've put in 40 or 45 hours yet I only have five badges, so Kirby would still probably take me a few days, but still not many if you can really beat it in a day.

I do know that it was getting many free DLC updates though which is a reason I'm interested in it. I'm not sure how substantial the updates were though? I know they added characters like Adeleine etc. but I'm not sure if you actually play as them or if they're like an computer ally you fight with (hence "Star Allies").

Basically I know nothing about the game other than how it was getting free updates and how many seemed disappointed with its length at release. So sell me on it! I haven't played Kirby since Triple Deluxe but I do like the series and wanna get back into it.
I haven’t bought it yet (not for lack of trying, but game prices are over double where I live, so I gotta wait it out), but the demo sold me on it. So maybe play that.

From the looks of things it’s good old Kirby and has neat coop and lots of content.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I'd recommend buying it if you're a long time Kirby fan.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

Originally, I would have said buying it at 60$ and being worth it was debatable. Several long time Kirby fans still loved it, but I know some Kirby fans also felt it was lacking. However, I don't think that's a problem at all anymore. The last update not only added the last few Dream Friends, but an all new mode and difficulty to the games version of the Arena (now called the Ultimate Choice... wait, Ultimate Choice? Smash Ultimate? There might be something there guys! :laugh:). The biggest problem many had with it was the difficulty, and there's definitely been some difficulty added in with this one last update. You can play as the new Dream Friends in certain modes, or if you're player two in the main mode (still waiting for Kirby to follow Super Mario 3D World's lead in allowing you to choose what character you play as). If you've enjoyed the past few Kirby games on 3DS, or Return to Dreamland, I'd say you'd enjoy this one too, and it's worth the buy.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Originally, I would have said buying it at 60$ and being worth it was debatable. Several long time Kirby fans still loved it, but I know some Kirby fans also felt it was lacking. However, I don't think that's a problem at all anymore. The last update not only added the last few Dream Friends, but an all new mode and difficulty to the games version of the Arena (now called the Ultimate Choice... wait, Ultimate Choice? Smash Ultimate? There might be something there guys! :laugh:). The biggest problem many had with it was the difficulty, and there's definitely been some difficulty added in with this one last update. You can play as the new Dream Friends in certain modes, or if you're player two in the main mode (still waiting for Kirby to follow Super Mario 3D World's lead in allowing you to choose what character you play as). If you've enjoyed the past few Kirby games on 3DS, or Return to Dreamland, I'd say you'd enjoy this one too, and it's worth the buy.
Playable Magolor? Worth it.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, is anyone else curious as to how spirits are ranked in terms of being either a primary or support, as well as novice, advanced, ace, and legend?

I mean, Kawasaki beat out or boy... somehow, for an AT, yet his spirit is a support spirit. Meanwhile, Bandana Dee is a primary spirit, and was given the pass for Kawasaki, who only recently came back to the series with Star Allies (Mecha Kawasaki in Return to Dreamland doesn't count). Then we have Nightmare, who's been MIA for quite a while, not counting Smash appearances, and with the ever increasing difficult bosses in Kirby, has become one of the easiest final bosses in the series. He's a legend, yet Magolor is only an Ace, alongside Bandana Dee. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Bandana Dee's spirit is mildly strong, but I'm almost sure he could take Nightmare if the two fought...

You all know what I mean?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So, is anyone else curious as to how spirits are ranked in terms of being either a primary or support, as well as novice, advanced, ace, and legend?

I mean, Kawasaki beat out or boy... somehow, for an AT, yet his spirit is a support spirit. Meanwhile, Bandana Dee is a primary spirit, and was given the pass for Kawasaki, who only recently came back to the series with Star Allies (Mecha Kawasaki in Return to Dreamland doesn't count). Then we have Nightmare, who's been MIA for quite a while, not counting Smash appearances, and with the ever increasing difficult bosses in Kirby, has become one of the easiest final bosses in the series. He's a legend, yet Magolor is only an Ace, alongside Bandana Dee. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Bandana Dee's spirit is mildly strong, but I'm almost sure he could take Nightmare if the two fought...

I suspect canon strength had less to do with it compared to popularity and perceived strength. On top of that I think several were selected as support spirits based on their skills (i.e. Kawasaki being stats gain on eating making sense for him). While BWD is 100% boss and of course beats all the bosses, on paper a Waddle Dee with a spear would probably seem less powerful than a final boss with reality bending abilities.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Canon strength, popularity, or abilities? IDK.
All I know is that I have four legendary spirits from Kirby and I'm absolutely sure there's at least one more.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
I suspect canon strength had less to do with it compared to popularity and perceived strength. On top of that I think several were selected as support spirits based on their skills (i.e. Kawasaki being stats gain on eating making sense for him). While BWD is 100% boss and of course beats all the bosses, on paper a Waddle Dee with a spear would probably seem less powerful than a final boss with reality bending abilities.
Yeah... BUT THIS TREE CAN!!

This is a sign that we should not litter nearby forests if we wish to not anger the TRUE TRUE Destroyer of Worlds.,,
I'm sorry, I had to do it, the opportunity was right there. Plus I wanted to post this glorious pic by Shadow759.

Last edited:
Top Bottom