• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Version 2 Release

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Any more frame advantage on that Jab, certain characters which happens to include space animals might possibly be getting ****ed over by that, which wouldn't be acceptable.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah, i'm pretty sure luigi jab was already designed to have the most advantage he could logically have, considering his follow up options and how susceptible the opponents are to it

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I still think that -2 frames of lag on Luigi's jab1 would've been the most polarizing change you could've made.
I agree! Giving Luigi guaranteed up-b setups on significantly more characters would have been a terrible path that wouldn't have addressed any of Luigi's fundamental problems. Glad we see eye-to-eye on this!

TreK

Is "that guy"
I agree! Giving Luigi guaranteed up-b setups on significantly more characters would have been a terrible path that wouldn't have addressed any of Luigi's fundamental problems. Glad we see eye-to-eye on this!
Problems like... Not being able to land his supposedly awesome killmoves on MK and Marth ?

It would screw up Fox and ZSS, though, I can't deny that.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to say congrats, and I was going to try it out myself, I was trying to make it work on my wii but it won't. I have the 2GB, and it won't let it show like in the video none of it is working on my wii. I've downloaded really both the old and the new versions. Just if anyone can help me out here I like to try balance brawl myself.

Maybe you guys can just give me a quick pm hopefully this can be figured out. ^^ Or just respond to my message I'll explain better what's going on when I try to do the same exact thing in the video, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Problems like... Not being able to land his supposedly awesome killmoves on MK and Marth ?

It would screw up Fox and ZSS, though, I can't deny that.
Doesn't jab to up b combo on MK and Marth anyways? I know they can jump out of it (or counter shoryuken in Marth's case) but -2 frames of endlag still means they can jump out of it. Even in Marth's case you can easily bait his dolphin slash when you jab him. All that change would do is screw over a few characters and make Luigi more 1-dimensional.

@Sky Angel: Which version is your Wii on? I hear 4.3 is immune to all known exploits so nothing works on it yet.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
@ Big O: That's probably why it doesn't work for me, Cause I just updated my wii. Lol. >...>;
But yeah mines is 4.3, but before I updated it...

It did not work when I had the older version before 4.3, but I also wanted to know is their some way I can get Gecko? Or... Is that automatically suppose to be in the data file that I downloaded for the wii?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure smash stack works on 4.3. I'm going to go with that as a position until I hear otherwise.

Sky Angel, what do you mean? Do you mean when you go to the stage builder you just get the normal stage builder? Does the game lock up at the stage builder consistently? Can you access the SD card from the Wii in general (like will it let you save a replay to the SD card)? I can't easily figure out what is happening without a good description of what is happening on your end.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
@Rock: It wasn't trying to work for me on my 4.3. O: yeah the moment I go to stage builder it just won't go. It doesn't automatically do it's job on my wii. See before I had homebrew channel, and it's hard to explain to everyone what happen next cause it disappears once I deleted all my files and stuff, I had to start all over from scratch.

Sky Angel, what do you mean? Do you mean when you go to the stage builder you just get the normal stage builder?
Yes when I go to stage builder, and I kept my SD card inside of it. It just won't load up Brawl balance, It's just normal, nothing happens. Just like a regular stage builder when I try to go there.

Does the game lock up at the stage builder consistently?
No, it's fine it's not that. It was my first answer I said above this quote.

Can you access the SD card from the Wii in general (like will it let you save a replay to the SD card)?
Yes, I can normally do that. I can save my replays, and etc.

I can't easily figure out what is happening without a good description of what is happening on your end
Let's see let me start from scratch, When I first went to the brawl balance site. I down loaded exactly what you said for the U.S Version, I didn't touch anything I just extract it like it said I should, and then place the files into my SD Card.

Next, after It was finish, I pulled out my SD card, and placed into the Wii SD slot. Once I did that I went to go to the brawl game on my wii, once it was loading, etc... I pressed "A" to let it start up to the main screen where got "Wifi, vault, etc." So all of that is their. I went to the Vault room, and then went to stage builder immediately, the moment I did that it remain the same. Nothing happen. I had everything deleted and the only thing left showing on that scree was "New" For stage builder. I even clicked the "New" button, and it didn't do anything other then showing your main basic build your own stage thing.

Since it didn't work the first time, I shut down my wii, and turn it back on once I did that I tried exactly what your video did. I next tried going to "All brawl" Where all players get to fight each other. In your vid you had all meta knights in your character pick, In my character picks, Their was all the characters same as a the regular way you would start off brawl, and no meta nights. ( Not even snake, and the other character that was left out if I remember correctly from that video. ) So yes all my characters were their.

So since saw that, I tried to go back to the vault near stage builder and still nothing won't work.

Last thing I did I once again restarted my wii, but this time I updated it, I went to 4.3 once I did that I tried to do the same thing all over again, Only I tried to go to stage builder. Nothing still happens.

Before I am asked, Yes I did try Brawl balance the old version before the Brawl balance 2 came out yesterday. Both didn't work for me.

My friend Dualseeker on here, said he was going to get it, but he did not know for sure if it would work on 4.3. So hopefully this kind of helps. I'll tell Dualseeker to try it out if you want him to test it, or if anyone else around here randomly that has 4.3 to try it out.

Before since I did have homebrew, I didn't have gecko last time cause i didn't know where to get the proper file to use Gecko since it wouldn't work for some reason on my wii, but when I downloaded and got Ocarina it worked fine of course the glitches didn't work well with my wii and frozen it most of the time. Thus is why I deleted everything and had to start from scratch, and took out, the moment I looked up my homebrew channel was gone ever since I moved to a new home. O: ( Don't ask me how that happen cause I have no idea how, and I can't figure it out. XD )

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm going to be trying BBrawl for the first time today. I was always a little hesitant about it because I'm not a big fan of vBrawl, but I've heard really good things so I figured I should at least give it a shot :)

Assuming I get my Riivolution working right, I'm going to get right into BBrawl.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Okay, that was informative. We know you have a compatible SD card (since you can save replays to it), but we also know it's not seeing anything at all. This tells me the file structure on the SD card is incorrect. When you extracted to the SD card, it should have asked you if you wanted to merge the private folder (to which you should have said "yes"). If it didn't ask this, then you must have extracted into a folder instead of into the root of the SD card (or must not have had a private folder, but that wouldn't have been a problem, and having a replay on the SD card guarantees a private folder exists).

If you can't figure it out from there, let me know what's on the root of your SD card.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
Edit: I want to know one thing about the extracting folder. You see when you first download it you get this regular little zipper icon on your folder that needs to be extracted, Now I'm wondering if all of that should be downloaded on a different folder or into the SD card?

I have one last question here before I start ranting below.

My last question is, when I do go into my folder without it being extracted, etc. Do I go towards the private folder and then start to extract, and leave everything else alone? If that was all confusing what I last said here, then please continue to read below hopefully it may help a little?

Perhaps should I take pictures of and send them to you that way things can be explain better, or perhaps if their is a video you have that can show me how to extract the main root of the SD card. Just something simple I don't think many folks have much problems with it like I do, but maybe if their is a way to show me by video, picture, etc. Something.

I apologize if my recent information that I gave you is a bit confusing?

G_Man

Smash Rookie
I asked this some posts ago... the online-mode works only without the gtc-codes. I use PAL and my playing-partners, too. When we start the game without the gtc-codes, all works fine. What is the problem?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Sky Angel, extract into the root of the SD card. This will merge your existing private folder with the one from the archive (Windows asks for confirmation at this point; obviously say "yes" or "yes to all"). It will also put a few other files on the root of the SD card.

G_Man, my ability to troubleshoot PAL is what we might call fairly limited, but the .gct codes are an important part of BBrawl. I can't think of why they would cause desynchs (which is what I assume you mean when you imply it "doesn't work"... simply saying something does not work without a description of in which way it fails is kinda limiting to anyone trying to help). Make sure everyone playing is using the same .gct file (if one person is putting something different in, it will mess everything up for everyone). This shouldn't be a problem if everyone uses the premade .gct, of course. In any case, I know online works fine on NTSC, I know in theory there's no reason PAL should have issues in this regard, and I don't have a PAL Wii so this is all I can really say.

G_Man

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but i can't explain more, cause they are simply desynchs, if we play with gtc-codes. We tested it and we use the same code-set. I heard, that desnynchs are also possible, if the amount of files, which have to go through Wifi, breaks some (me unknown) limits.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I'll try what you said Ampharos. I'll let you know if I can figure this out. It's probably not as hard as it looks, but I have to do this carefully step by step cause I might be doing something wrong.

Edit: Wait I notice something when I went to the Archive It also asked me if I want to format it into a zip, or a rar. Which one should I pick?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Uh, it shouldn't be asking you that... You should be opening the archive with your favorite extraction program (such as 7zip or WinRAR) and extracting it. This may explain some of your issues if you aren't actually extracting the archive (in other words decompressing it).

I really can't troubleshoot the issue G_Man. Either this is a PAL exclusive issue or someone (even just one of you) has something configured incorrectly. I'm sorry to be unhelpful, but this is all I can do.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
Gah... I've tried it for some reason it's giving me a hard time. Isn't their a file that already has this stuff extracted? I think I'm just getting this all confusing and hard, but I'm sure others got it since I'm not like a pro hacker myself I only managed to get homebrew and stuff because I've seen it on youtube channels that's how I got it done the first place, but. If I can't get it I'll probably just have to wait until their is a video that way I can understand better. I might be doing something horribly wrong.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The .gct file is made with "Disable Custom Stages" code.
If you're creating an own .gct, make sure you include it.

Juri

Smash Cadet
I've checked out the site and whatever but I wanted to make sure.

Does Balanced Brawl have faster movement speeds?
I prefer things to be a lil faster.

FinalDoomGuy

Smash Cadet
However, do remember that a great deal of characters (Biggest examples are C. Falcon, StarFox characters and Ike) have gotten far better mobility options which makes them a great deal quicker.

ss118

Smash Master
The .gct file is made with "Disable Custom Stages" code.
If you're creating an own .gct, make sure you include it.
well that helps! But I notice there are some other files other than the specific .gct and .pac files that are on BBrawl: which one's are required to load up Gecko without the use of the homebrew channel?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Smash stack (a .bin file) is buried in the private folder somewhere. The boot.dol file in the root is gecko itself in a different form and will be required as well.

Juri

Smash Cadet
Well I can easily say Balanced Brawl is freaking amazing.

I love it way more than Brawl+, Brawl+ is pretty annoying to my tastes.
It like takes forever to kill someone, and it just doesn't feel like Smash Bros.

Kudos to BalancedBrawl.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Balanced Brawl won't really work with Dolphin, because there's no way to use Ocarina/Gecko codes. So you'll need to use an actual Wii.

Juri

Smash Cadet
Just made a Facebook group for Balanced Brawl, I wanna get more people into this I really enjoy it.

Hunch

Smash Rookie
I was leafing back through this thread and noticed a fair amount of discussion over Bowser being more fragile than he ought to be due to his recovery. If it's alright, I'd like to discuss this further. What about giving the aerial Whirling Fortress say, 20% armor? This doesn't handle EVERY recovery problem Bowser has (Mario can still cape him, Ganondorf can still thunderstomp him, etc.) but it seems to me like it would really be beneficial against many gimps, such as MK's Dair. Furthermore, this could perhaps help him deal with aerial combos other than juggling from below. If 20% seems like too much, 15% or even 10% armor could still be useful. Actually, now that I think about it, the best armor setup for his Up-B would be probably be something similar to the formula governing Yoshi's double jump armor, which I believe is based on knockback rather than the flat % cap. Doing that instead would ensure that adding knockback resistance to his recovery doesn't overcompensate and therefore make Bowser TOO durable. Lastly, it would fit his tanking playstyle. If Squirtle gets armor on moves that put him in his shell, shouldn't Bowser, who's shell is covered with spikes, get this same treatment? I'm not sure if the properties of Yoshi's double jump would be easy to duplicate, though.

I guess what I'm getting at is, would a change like this have negative implications that I've overlooked?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
squirtle only gets armor on withdraw, and it's not a very good recovery move in any case

Hunch

Smash Rookie
Actually, I believe Squirtle has a small amount of armor frames during forward smash, and I wasn't really using Squirtle as a recovery example so much as an aesthetic sort of thing.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Squirtle gets some kind of armor on F-smash. I distinctly recall eating attacks with F-smash before, unless I'm just going insane.

EDIT: Yep, just checked the PT boards. Squirtle gets SA frames as he moves forward during his F-Smash. Short, but effective.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yeah, most anything where squirtle is in his shell fully gives him SA

as to why the guy with the shell that dwarves all other chracters doesnt have this i have no clue....

Top Bottom