• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
All three Pokemon are good, and they work together well. Ivysaur isn't about killing really, though uair and dair are passable for that. Ivysaur camps extremely well, and it racks damage very efficiently while it does so and mega fast when it can sneak in Bullet Seed. I don't understand how anyone could say a character with that bair has safety issues; in general, Ivysaur can space well to make many of its normals quite safe to throw out, poke with, and generally rack damage.

Of course, Ivysaur doesn't need to kill really because Charizard does that very well and is next in line. It's really not that fair to directly point by point Charizard vs Bowser, but Charizard does have a lot of advantages (so does Bowser, but the point is there are a lot of good things about Charizard that aren't true about Bowser). Rock Smash does stupid damage and is seriously not that hard to land. Charizard's fair is flat out amazing air to air and can be used to keep him pretty safe. Charizard has a way better recovery than Bowser, and he can use his extra midair jump and gliding semi-effectively over the stage as well just for general mobility (also his glide attack kills absurdly low if you manage to land it, and it has no landing lag so it's pretty safe to go for if you're smart). Charizard has a stupidly fast dtilt that is easy to overlook but I'm pretty sure completely safe. Charizard has ridiculous grab range (as I recall, it's actually bigger than King Dedede's) and good throws that can kill. Charizard has that great usmash. Also, in general, Charizard has a lot of options that kill very, very well. All those kill move buffs on Charizard give him a ton of options to score low% kills and make him a nightmare for characters at high% which is exactly what his "I can't kill without stamina" and "my kill moves are way too slow" teammates need him for. Charizard also avoids the "big and slow" problem of taking damage way too fast at low% well. If he finds himself at low%, he's one move away from being a character who thrives in those conditions. He's not only pretty solid as an individual, but he has his holes filled by his team while simultaneously filling their holes. Charizard is one fantastic team player, probably a bigger team player than Squirtle and Ivysaur (who are hardly bad team players themselves).

And, of course, Squirtle is Squirtle, and remember he lost grab release problems as well as got a buffed Water Gun so he's actually better than ever. Remember that switching is faster so PT can flexibly shift between his teammates far more effectively than before (it is seriously hard to prevent PT from switching without exposing yourself to constant big risk).

I think you overrate Mario a bit still. Mario is definitely good, but it's not like Marth and G&W are the only two who can zone him. Meta Knight can do it too and quite well, and he has few tools to abuse other characters who have to worry about being zoned out. Like, Mario vs Sonic? This is theory fighter all the way on this one, but on paper it sure looks like this should lean toward Sonic. Mario won't be keeping Sonic out, and I find it hard to see his superior KO options outweighing Sonic's massive speed advantage and the fact that honestly Sonic is gimping Mario more than Mario is gimping Sonic. I definitely am not sold on Mario having overcome natural Ice Climbers problems. A character like him has few options to avoid being grabbed by the duo, especially as he has to overcome well placed walls of Blizzard to even attack their shield in the first place and ice blocks eat fireballs. Now, I'm not saying Mario has particularly bad matchups; he is a character who is probably pretty predictable to not have any truly awful ones. I just find it hard to say that he has only two slight negatives; I would expect to see him have several more. Slight negatives of course, he is definitely good, but I think more negatives than two.

As per the suggestion people are sleeping on R.O.B., that's plausible enough. Unless we screwed something up, his uthrow isn't really that good at killing (the idea is that it kills when R.O.B. can't land anything else but isn't what he wants to have to rely on), and I think you overrate just how much you get out of dthrow (though it is definitely a great throw). The things you're saying about his matchups being externally better anyway is easy to see; intuitively I'd agree with that. I haven't really seen anyone using R.O.B. much though; I'd definitely like to see more of him.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Preface: I play Ness, and therefore am quite probably biased in my opinion.

Playing BBrawl against my friends, some of whom are very skilled, I find Ness to be really good. However, the only things that I noticed affecting the outcome of the matches were the dthrow and pk fire buffs. They helped me come back from a stock and 50% down once. The Fsmash I only hit with twice in 1v1's (actually the ends of FFAs) (more than that in FFAs), and PK Flash only hit during FFA's, and only at %'s that would have killed with the vBrawl version of the move.

In essence, the only changes that affect his hard matchups are the grab-release changes. Versus Marth, I still had to work REALLY REALLY HARD to win.

However, the increased damage output allows him to keep up with the new heavies in killing (like Ganon [whose WizKick is really annoying vs PK Fire]) in terms of killing.

Also, DO NOT MENTION THROWS without mentioning Ness. His bthrow is still the standard against which all killing throws are measured (such as Mario's new bthrow [where should I DI that? Up?]), and his new dthrow is for 14%. PK Fire (which I DO land not infrequently, and which traps much better now) to dthrow is ridiculously highly-damaging. Follow that up with a RAR'd bair, and they're offstage for a (very strong) spike.

That is not saying that ROB's throws aren't good; his dthrow is indeed good for either an uair or usmash followup, but Ness's are simply exceptional.

Also: Sonic's spring, while gimmicky, is extremely distracting when trying to recover. I think that it's akin to PK Flash in its uses, though it's much faster. I was playing against my friends on random, and when one got Sonic, he kept spamming the spring, and I got spiked a bunch of times (I meteor cancelled a bunch of times and teched against the stage the other times). Overall, that's very annoying, I guess it improves Sonic's gimping game.

Also: Link's arrows are incredibly good for gimping. A full charged one, knocking someone off the stage, followed by a weaker one, is pratically guaranteed to kill (assuming both hit). Arrow spam FTW.

Those are my opinions, based on my very limited knowledge of those chars (my secondaries are GAW and Olimar, who wasn't changed much).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
PT is high tier probably. He is not the best character in the game, but is quite good.

Ivysaur got 0 KO buffs, except for dair but that move is pretty unsafe and slow anyway. I think Ivysaur is still quite bad in comparison to the rest of the cast of bbrawl but the improved recovery means Ivy isn't such a liability. i haven't looked into the bullet seed buff much since i've gained a habit of very rarely bullet seeding since it really does suck, but it has potential, depending on how much di can affect it. it'll probably be devastating for large characters. imo Ivy dtilt needs IASA frames like marth dtilt. regardless, ivysaur still can hardly approach and has massive blindspots in front and below in the air, which is probably what a2 meant by safety issues. (charizard also suffers from this, but to a lesser degree).

ivy really is just "hey i'm not THAT easy to gimp anymore" and "you actually have to care about getting hit by bair now!". not much of an improvement and should struggle to do much against most characters since tons of characters that were better were improved more. but we are talking about ivy in the pt context so the KO issues aren't as troublesome as you'd think.

charizard's usmash comes out in 6 frames and has great KO power. it's a very good OoS move and KO move in general. bair is quite dangerous now and is also an excellent OoS option due to its speed and decent range. rock smash is pretty easy to land and kills at like 110% fresh, but that move isn't going to be fresh unless zard just came out lol. dtilt is also excellent. dthrow has a nicer trajectory and very good near the edge. his other smashes need to be mindgamed but are very powerful now. charizard isn't snake but he really doesn't struggle to kill without fatigue, and even with fatigue you should rarely live past 150%.

also charizard's flamethrower is a pretty great spacing move and better than bowser's in many ways. you can frametrap opponents who are in the middle of it (literally) and shieldgrab their aerial or something, but i haven't done frame data on this so i'm not sure of what the (dis)advantage is. i grab marth fairs out of it regularly but idk if it's just a mistake on their part. you don't need to hold the flames out though, just use it in short spurts and it does its job very well and is quite difficult to punish.

the faster switching for pt is pretty terrific though, and it allows you to maximize your best matchup and use more advanced switching strategy. and you can skip ivysaur even more safely! this should be the main reason to consider pt top tier, and i think it's plausible (but not my opinion though).

squirtle ftilt absolutely destroys ganondorf btw.

need to add a ledgegrab thing or just remove the timer portion of stamina.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
All three Pokemon are good, and they work together well. Ivysaur isn't about killing really, though uair and dair are passable for that. Ivysaur camps extremely well, and it racks damage very efficiently while it does so and mega fast when it can sneak in Bullet Seed. I don't understand how anyone could say a character with that bair has safety issues; in general, Ivysaur can space well to make many of its normals quite safe to throw out, poke with, and generally rack damage.
Ivysaur doesn't camp extremely well. Bad mobility, and generally being pretty slow means there is little actually stopping people from approaching provided they are fast enough. And even with the recovery buff, Ivysaur is still pretty easily gimped.

Of course, Ivysaur doesn't need to kill really because Charizard does that very well and is next in line. It's really not that fair to directly point by point Charizard vs Bowser, but Charizard does have a lot of advantages (so does Bowser, but the point is there are a lot of good things about Charizard that aren't true about Bowser). Rock Smash does stupid damage and is seriously not that hard to land. Charizard's fair is flat out amazing air to air and can be used to keep him pretty safe. Charizard has a way better recovery than Bowser, and he can use his extra midair jump and gliding semi-effectively over the stage as well just for general mobility (also his glide attack kills absurdly low if you manage to land it, and it has no landing lag so it's pretty safe to go for if you're smart). Charizard has a stupidly fast dtilt that is easy to overlook but I'm pretty sure completely safe. Charizard has ridiculous grab range (as I recall, it's actually bigger than King Dedede's) and good throws that can kill. Charizard has that great usmash. Also, in general, Charizard has a lot of options that kill very, very well. All those kill move buffs on Charizard give him a ton of options to score low% kills and make him a nightmare for characters at high% which is exactly what his "I can't kill without stamina" and "my kill moves are way too slow" teammates need him for. Charizard also avoids the "big and slow" problem of taking damage way too fast at low% well. If he finds himself at low%, he's one move away from being a character who thrives in those conditions. He's not only pretty solid as an individual, but he has his holes filled by his team while simultaneously filling their holes. Charizard is one fantastic team player, probably a bigger team player than Squirtle and Ivysaur (who are hardly bad team players themselves).
None of Charizard's KO moves are viable against a conservative opponent, since none of them come out fast enough (besides his D-tilt, which only hits low.) His throws don't actually kill at respectable percents either, and his large frame also limits his ability to safely apply his moves a lot.

And, of course, Squirtle is Squirtle, and remember he lost grab release problems as well as got a buffed Water Gun so he's actually better than ever. Remember that switching is faster so PT can flexibly shift between his teammates far more effectively than before (it is seriously hard to prevent PT from switching without exposing yourself to constant big risk).
Squirtle is the only one who can viably get kills though, as the others have no kill moves with respectable applications.

I think you overrate Mario a bit still. Mario is definitely good, but it's not like Marth and G&W are the only two who can zone him. Meta Knight can do it too and quite well, and he has few tools to abuse other characters who have to worry about being zoned out.
Mario is able to beat the Tornado with several options including Up-smash, Cape, F-smash, and Up-B. Fireball camping also limits Metaknight's approaches, and Mario is actually able to outspeed Metaknight on several attacks, so in close range, Mario has the advantage. Metaknight doesn't have Marth or G&W's mobility either, so camping him works better.

Like, Mario vs Sonic? This is theory fighter all the way on this one, but on paper it sure looks like this should lean toward Sonic. Mario won't be keeping Sonic out, and I find it hard to see his superior KO options outweighing Sonic's massive speed advantage and the fact that honestly Sonic is gimping Mario more than Mario is gimping Sonic.
Mario stops Sonic from easily approaching with fireballs, and he really should never be getting gimped by Sonic. Mario always had the advantage in the matchup due to superior KO options at any rate, aside from Fireballs limiting Sonic's approach options (not stopping his approach, but making it more predictable).

I definitely am not sold on Mario having overcome natural Ice Climbers problems. A character like him has few options to avoid being grabbed by the duo, especially as he has to overcome well placed walls of Blizzard to even attack their shield in the first place and ice blocks eat fireballs.
Cape and Fireballs **** blizzard, and Mario outcamps the Ice Climbers. Not the other way around (unless the stage is FD). D-air is safe on block on their shield, and considering the Ice Climbers cannot viably use Blizzard against Mario, it's not a problem for him.

Now, I'm not saying Mario has particularly bad matchups; he is a character who is probably pretty predictable to not have any truly awful ones. I just find it hard to say that he has only two slight negatives; I would expect to see him have several more. Slight negatives of course, he is definitely good, but I think more negatives than two.
Mario's only weakness is low range, and because Marth and G&W both outrange him and have more base mobility most of the time, that's why they win. They also are virtually unaffected by his camping provided they know when to attack, while the same cannot be said for most of Mario's other matchups.

As per the suggestion people are sleeping on R.O.B., that's plausible enough. Unless we screwed something up, his uthrow isn't really that good at killing (the idea is that it kills when R.O.B. can't land anything else but isn't what he wants to have to rely on), and I think you overrate just how much you get out of dthrow (though it is definitely a great throw). The things you're saying about his matchups being externally better anyway is easy to see; intuitively I'd agree with that. I haven't really seen anyone using R.O.B. much though; I'd definitely like to see more of him.
ROB's D-throw is broken. It's a free Up-smash or regrab on proper prediction/reaction, and considering that ROB has one of the stronger Up-smashes in this game, it's a ridiculously overpowered throw, since I can D-throw Metaknight at like 75% and get a safe, guaranteed kill as long as I predict him correctly. ROB killing people from 120-150ish with a throw is also REALLY broken for a character who is very good at racking damage safely.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Your idea of "fast enough" seems to be "frame 1 only"

You have to bear in mind that human reaction time is 12 frames, and they have to NOTICE IT first.

If you turned off the sound, people wouldn't notice Falcon Punch until they got hit.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Your idea of "fast enough" seems to be "frame 1 only"

You have to bear in mind that human reaction time is 12 frames, and they have to NOTICE IT first.

If you turned off the sound, people wouldn't notice Falcon Punch until they got hit.
I'm completely aware of reaction time as a matter of a fact.

And rather, most of my arguments are very much based on reaction time being about 12 frames. Reaction time only gets faster however when you factor high level play.

Also, the Falcon Punch is really easy to notice without the sound. He glows and pulls back his fist in a pretty obvious manner, and the movement when he does it in the air is very obvious.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
so, high level play = inhuman play? lol

looks like you're not considering how important the human action is in the game, you're talking like if we were cpu's that perfectly knows every move and the way to counter them IN THE RIGHT MOMENT THEY HAPPENS (like CPU's that can powershield every 3 hits of a jab combo).

PD. ROB's Dthrow would be a kind of techchase. Human action makes it hard to predict the EXACT results
PPD. yeah, Falcon Punch is a random joke, try get fon with it =)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Ivysaur doesn't camp extremely well. Bad mobility, and generally being pretty slow means there is little actually stopping people from approaching provided they are fast enough. And even with the recovery buff, Ivysaur is still pretty easily gimped.
i agree. razor leaf is like luigi's vbrawl fireballs. except ivysaur doesn't have the aerials to use it like luigi can. razor leaf has a really large amount of commitment for a projectile as well, in both startup and cooldown.

Side B:
Start up: 1-21
Hit: 22-69
End: 50

as you can see, you can somewhat use it as a frame trap but it's still an average projectile at best.

None of Charizard's KO moves are viable against a conservative opponent, since none of them come out fast enough (besides his D-tilt, which only hits low.) His throws don't actually kill at respectable percents either, and his large frame also limits his ability to safely apply his moves a lot.
up smash is 6 frames and bair is 7 frames (which is really quite strong now) while dtilt is frame 8...

rock smash is pretty viable against anyone without amazing hitboxes (marth/game and watch/snake). note that even if the opponent dodges the first part of the move (which has the KO knockback), the shards combo (frame trap?) into an up smash, grab, bair, or dtilt depending on sdi. the angle change on dthrow makes a noticeable difference and uthrow can also kill, albeit at higher percents (165%). it is definitely a threat on stages with low ceilings though. up b can kill too but it's very unsafe. it does have super armor though so it has uses.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I found a problem (although this has probably been stated before). As we know, you need to (or at least I need to) keep the SD card in if you want to use things like texture hacks, character hacks, and music hacks. However, I found that if the SD card is kept in and Cpt. Falcon uses his final smash, his final smash becomes so amazing, powerful, and epic that your wii can't handle it all and explodes. Okay, it doesn't explode, but it freezes/crashes, makes that loud, annoying buzzing sound that it does when it freezes, and you need to unplug it. :\
This happens with MK's final smash, too... is there anything I'm doing wrong??

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
This happens with MK's final smash, too... is there anything I'm doing wrong??
(AFAIK) The Final Smash crashes/freezes/glitches are the result of some particular troublesome, but otherwise very useful, code, created independently of the Balanced Brawl project; and any hacked Brawl project that uses that code will experience problems with Final Smashes. I'm not sure what code is responsible for causing the problems, but, whichever one it is, I assume it is necessary for Balanced Brawl.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
1) You don't need to unplug it. Just hold down the Power button for about 10 seconds.
2) It has to do with the Final Smash locking characters in place, which the Frame Speed Mod disrupts. And by that, I mean not even hitlag shaking.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
(AFAIK) The Final Smash crashes/freezes/glitches are the result of some particular troublesome, but otherwise very useful, code, created independently of the Balanced Brawl project; and any hacked Brawl project that uses that code will experience problems with Final Smashes. I'm not sure what code is responsible for causing the problems, but, whichever one it is, I assume it is necessary for Balanced Brawl.
I notice that the three characters it's happening on (sonic, cpt. falcon, MK) happen to have recently replaced textures. Before that, I don't recall them freezing. Perhaps that has something to do with it? Hmmm.... the mystery deepens.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Linkshot, it isn't the frame speed mod that causes that at all. According to one person, it's the throw mod that does this. Frame speed mod has existed for a while and has never caused this problem.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
I notice that the three characters it's happening on (sonic, cpt. falcon, MK) happen to have recently replaced textures. Before that, I don't recall them freezing. Perhaps that has something to do with it? Hmmm.... the mystery deepens.
It is possible, perhaps, but I recall reports of Final Smashes inducing freezes/crashes with no mention of texture hacking. It seems to originate from one of the numerous mods/code engines/hacks utilized by, and necessary for, Balanced Brawl. In other words, it is a necessary evil associated with playing Balanced Brawl (or any other hack utilizing the same code/mod), at least until someone figures out which code is causing the issue and debugs it.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
The other main bug is the zair instakills, am I right? I never experienced that because nobody I know plays Samus or Link or Tlink very much, (they like random) and therefore don't know to use it.

Ehic

Smash Cadet
The Pk fire glitch only happens on link and toon link and the timing is so small thats impractical to do unless you have a perfect prediction and perfect positioning and can trick link into zair/grab. Which can only be accomplished if Lucas spends all focus on setting it up. Which is waste when lucas could play normally and kill just as soon. The only time I see it happening is on accident, and considering the circumstances/probability, it won't happen often enough to be a problem.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know what the disable custom stages code is called? I just downloaded ChiboSempai's program, but I can't find it in the txt file anywhere! Does it go by a different name? Or is it lost in one of the millions of unknown files? :(

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'd also like to say, seeing I play the Link v. Lucas MU all the time, that I have never experienced this glitch and most likely will not. Because If I can actually predict his grab, I'd much rather use a reliable U-smash to punish

Okay, so this has nothing to do with bBrawl but, on other threads no one is helping and maybe one of you guys know how to do this.

Okay so I downloaded a "Tier_List_sc_selcharacter.pac".
I followed some intructions like private/wii/apps/rsbeo etc...blah blah you get it right? So I did that and I put this pac file in the folder "men u2" and when I play brawl through Gecko, nothing changes. Does this mean I would have to find a code or something? I"m so lost at this point! Thanks.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
As far as I can tell, anything that Metaknight doesn't space COMPLETELY perfectly is fair game for Marth to punish.

At least that is what my impression is from watching Mikehaze destroy so many other Metaknights.

And then I consider that Metaknight's KO power took a huge hit, and that Marth does more damage per hit, and I really don't see Marth being disadvantaged. It wasn't like he was hugely disadvantaged against Metaknight in the first place just because of how well Marth can capitalize on even the smallest mistakes.
You're completely and utterly wrong.

Marth's problem with MK is that MK DESTROYS him on approach, catch an MK that plays defensively, give him the percent advantage, there's pretty much nothing marth can do, because pretty much everything marth does is punishable on reaction, and the rest not viable due to range. Bascially, he tornados or ftilts as soon as marth short-hops and he's done (counter being the only option, but a predicted counter is asking to be *****). Don't even bother with ground approaches, Marth is outzoned and outspaced too well. He's got tricks of course, but MK's game solidly beats him.

So... why does Mike win? Mindgames honestly, while he couldn't play any character necessarily and win, his overall strategy is adaptable to every character. That's why he can beat MKs, he out-thinks them.

If you want an example, try Neo, because he more plays to Marth's strengths. Never getting a set off M2K however.

That's Falco's chaingrab to dair, Marth's is still true.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Is there a version of the .gct file that I can download that is identical but WITHOUT the disable custom stages code? I have gecko now, so I don't need that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You did delete all custom stages right? If you downloaded a stage from Nintendo WFC, you must manually go to the "erase data" option and clear vault data in order to delete that stage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Alternatively, you could set your Wii forward in time at least one day. That will also clear that out.

Regardless, we need more description of exactly what you're doing and exactly where the process fails.

algandar88

Smash Journeyman
well all stages were deleted. as far as the problem i think there was a code that wasnt found i isnt my wii or sd card and i didnt download BB. i guess its possible there was a problem with step 1 of the downloading process

Mit

Smash Ace
Is there a version of the .gct file that I can download that is identical but WITHOUT the disable custom stages code? I have gecko now, so I don't need that.
This. IMO the standard homebrew release should have custom stages enabled, and only the no-homebrew release should have custom stages disabled.

Also

I don't think Ivysaur's so easily gimped anymore. No more than just about any other character with a short recovery distance, like Mario. Getting edgehogged from small distances is rarely ever a problem anymore, because you can usually get in about 3 up-B swats at the ledge before you're out of range, and by then you'll have smacked whoever was on the ledge off the ledge, or they'll have moved. It's actually kind of dangerous to try and edgehog him, especially because his up-B can be a pretty strong stage spike.

Also

he tornados or ftilts as soon as marth short-hops and he's done
Tornado will do barely any damage with good DI, and if he does it every time Marth short hops, he's gonna get punished more than Marth because of his own tornado's ending lag. I think the biggest problem for Marth in the matchup will be getting gimped. Otherwise I can see that it would be possible to space MK out pretty good with enough patience and effort.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I've noticed that Samus's damage buff on her bombs only applies to one of the two hitboxes it has. Is this deliberate?

Also, I have a technical problem with bbrawl. I have an unmodified Wii, so I use the SD card method. Sometimes when I go to stagebuilder (without having done anything else) the gecko won't load properly and I have to turn the system off and on again. This gets annoying, especially when it happens multiple times in a row. Is there anything I can do to minimize this?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't think Ivysaur's so easily gimped anymore. No more than just about any other character with a short recovery distance, like Mario. Getting edgehogged from small distances is rarely ever a problem anymore, because you can usually get in about 3 up-B swats at the ledge before you're out of range, and by then you'll have smacked whoever was on the ledge off the ledge, or they'll have moved. It's actually kind of dangerous to try and edgehog him, especially because his up-B can be a pretty strong stage spike.
Getting gimped automatically when edgehogged isn't exactly the real issue with Ivysaur, it's getting edgeguard KOed easily or just punished offstage in general, and THEN getting gimped by people who punish you with a gimp move. Ivysaur has very few options to speak of to defend herself offstage. Furthermore when you do edgehog her Up-B, there is enough of a window to simply ledgedrop and punish. Sure, it actually takes a brain to edgeguard her now, but it's still pretty easy.

For example, you're pretty much still not going to get back onstage if your matchup is ROB...if he knows how to aim lasers, and makes excellent use of his lingering hitboxes such as those on N-air and F-air, he still pretty much has a guaranteed KO set up when he throws you a decent enough distance offstage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've noticed that Samus's damage buff on her bombs only applies to one of the two hitboxes it has. Is this deliberate?

Also, I have a technical problem with bbrawl. I have an unmodified Wii, so I use the SD card method. Sometimes when I go to stagebuilder (without having done anything else) the gecko won't load properly and I have to turn the system off and on again. This gets annoying, especially when it happens multiple times in a row. Is there anything I can do to minimize this?
The buff always applies, but the two hitbox thing can be deceptive. Usually, both hitboxes land in such rapid succession that you don't even notice two hits and total to the new damage. Sometimes, only one lands and you see less damage. This should be possible in standard Brawl too, to only get hit once and take less damage.

That is a strange problem, especially if it only happens sometimes. I don't really have much of an explanation for it; inconsistent behavior like that indicates something is probably pretty odd on your end. The best I can do is ask if you have the smash service on. If you do, you may be unwittingly having custom stages added to your Wii which will cause problems. They delete on their own after a while so maybe that is the cause.

Ivysaur would be so ridiculous if it were not weak offstage with the recovery change being significant anyway (it's weak out there now, but that's a bit improvement from the previous "horrible"). If Ivysaur gets joined off-stage by a competent edgeguarder like Meta Knight, Ivysaur is in trouble. If Ivysaur can make its moves to safety before they have physical time to get off-stage to it or they try to edgeguard Ivysaur from the safety of the stage, Ivysaur isn't in such a bad position. Ivysaur is a little character with big range and big damage potential, and history shows us those characters are inclined to work well. Ivysaur is also slightly heavy instead of very light like the other cases. All in all, Ivysaur seems to do his job in the team pretty well to me and is definitely extremely unique.

What do the knockback numbers actually mean???
They are internal values. One is for knockback growth, and the other is for base knockback. We aren't sure of the exact formula the game uses and largely did things by "feel" and measurement of effects. Do note that damage also affects the practical knockback growth, and moves with 0 base knockback use a special formula in which the knockback growth is a sort of base knockback (this is how standard Brawl handles all fixed knockback hitboxes; we do a few with 0 knockback growth and using the standard knockback formula though).

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Actually, never mind, I wasn't being stupid. What is this standard homebrew release that you speak of?? I can find no such thing on the topic post. Only the same download link, plus the one with file replacement. >.>

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
google it... >>

Seriously, try find the softmii hack, it'll directly install the channel.
Wiibrew also oncludes links to the code managers tutorials, so it may can be useful

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
then you only need to look for the gecko os (I use 1.91; I haven't tested, but OP says that 1.92 causes crash), and then look for a code manager and its tutorial so may you can make even a custom .gct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom