• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Usually if it's gonna kill, it's gonna kill. 2 or 3 damage probably wouldn't change how much it's canceled by certain characters' attacks either.

Not true. I play MK and Pit, and I can't tell you how many times I've got spiked off of the stage at 40% by my roommate, only to pull off my awesome recovery and make it back, and a small damage boost makes a huge difference in knockback.

Edit:

My bad, that's halfway not true. That probably won't change how easily it is to cancel the spring but it would definitely change how likely a person is to get knocked off stage during hitstun, instead of getting a chance to recover.

Mit

Smash Ace
Bthrow sucks.
That's why I suggested changes to it?

So since Bthrow throws people behind Sonic, you need to be on the edge of the stage, facing to the stage, have a character grabbed, at a high percentage. That doesn't sound very reliable.
Bait your opponent to the edge and shield grab? I don't think that would be as difficult as landing an fsmash or bair, especially against some of his more problematic matchups that seem to deal with more offensive characters (Marth/G&W). And I would support the bthrow kill buff being a high percentage kill at the middle of FD, giving you more space to work with (and earlier kills at the edge). Also, it shouldn't result in him killing reliably early, due to the exact reasons you mentioned in having to be at the edge of the stage.

Stronger =/= reliable. If it's still slow, how does buffing its power make it any easier to hit with? Dsmash hits people after the initial hitbox has passed with a weaker hit box, hence why it's good against spot dodges. So that won’t help either.
I didn't say it should be reliable, or else I'd probably also be for speeding up fsmash. It would merely be another option. And when I said punish spotdodge I didn't so much mean releasing it, and hitting your opponent with the later, weaker hits (although that's also a possibility), more like charging when your opponent thinks you might not charge it, so they spotdodge, you charge while they spotdodge, and release when they come out of it. This is also possible with fsmash, but dsmash covers both spotdodges and rolls, as if they roll behind you, you can still hit them. I'm not sure how safe on block it is, however. Falcon's dsmash is mostly safe on block, and I use this strategy often, and it can be rather devastating for Falcon. To maybe make Sonic's dsmash a bit more similar to his, I'd also recommend making the secont hit (when he travels backward) just as powerful as the first.

That's player dependent.
Was just a small note. If you're very into spindash mixups and use them often, you could rather easily confuse your opponent (although I haven't considered possible implications if they actually get confused, just throwing it out there).

Nope. It's neither stronger or faster so it's neither more rewarding to it with nor easier. This will not help in any of his tough match ups either (maybe Olimar). So this is a gimick.
I will admit that that was the weakest of my suggestions. Perhaps one to consider if bthrow was buffed and not dsmash.

No offence, but don't you think the people suggesting this would know more about Sonics metagame then you, and have a more suitable basis to so whether or not he would be 'broken' or not and whether or not it’s necessary? According to this project, it's meant to make characters more variable without changing the way they play. Will making Sonics Fsmash faster change his bait and punishing tactics, approaches and such? I doubt it
Making it faster won't change the technical way he is played, but it also might make him seem unbalanced to many opponents. If he can reliably kill, he starts becoming like vBrawl Meta Knight (although not to nearly that high of a degree). He can rack damage pretty fast, and can do so against a large part of the cast while avoiding high damage himself. If he gets to a kill percentage and can then reliably kill? Doesn't seem very balanced.

Falcon is similar against characters who keep their feet on the ground (as he has some more reliable offstage air kills like uair/bair/upb). All of his kill moves come out slow, and can be easily avoided by people who play keep away with superior range/disjointedness/projectiles. The main difference is Falcon has more kill options at very high percents (a bthrow kill, utilt, ftilt, aerial Falcon Kick, uair/bair onstage, etc). Sonic continually increases damage on his opponent, but still has mostly the same kill options for a long time. I think giving him more high percentage kill options, and more kill options at lower kill percents that are still hard to hit with like fsmash/bair, could help things from getting out of hand.

However, if he straight up gets reliable kill options, he'll probably be called out for unbalance, and either the changes would revert, or, his damage racking game would be nerfed to around what it was in vBrawl.

Changing how well Sonic can kill is much less drastic and easier then messing with his approaches. Sonic will still play the same and will be more viable. I thought the goal of this project was to make all characters somewhat viable, as good as diddy? Not to stick with Sakurai's flaws on the basis 'You main the character and must stick with their suckyness.' BBrawl Sonic sucks too lol.
The view of the BBrawl project on Sonic seems to be to increase the speed at which you can damage rack to a kill percentage (and you can do so the same way vSonic does, with some more options such as dtilt to help out), and then you have more time to try and land a kill move on an opponent, which is not easy for Sonic. I believe they view this as a part to how Sonic plays: you really have to earn lower percentage kills, and giving him a reliable kill option is the easy way out, and would actually change the way he plays a bit more, as there would be different, and more effective strategies to killing your opponent. The game would be totally different when Sonic gets you to a kill percentage.

Not true. I play MK and Pit, and I can't tell you how many times I've got spiked off of the stage at 40% by my roommate, only to pull off my awesome recovery and make it back, and a small damage boost makes a huge difference in knockback.

Edit:

My bad, that's halfway not true. That probably won't change how easily it is to cancel the spring but it would definitely change how likely a person is to get knocked off stage during hitstun, instead of getting a chance to recover.
I'm just saying if you actually hit with it, you usually accomplish your goal of gimping your opponent. At lower percents against characters with great recoveries, it's still likely for them to make it back, but that's true with most moves that spike (the exceptions being absolutely devastating spikes like Ganon's and Ness's). I think how it is right now is fairly balanced.

Mit

Smash Ace
How does one do this with Sonic? Also, I don't see how Sonic could easily get behind someone in lieu of baiting. His aerial speed isn't the best.
I just mean lure them to the edge. If we're talking matchups like Marth, G&W, and Meta Knight, they aren't the type to sit at one end of the level and wait for you to attack. They don't have a laser or anything to force approach. They also probably think it's an easy matchup, and will most likely play offense. If they're playing offense, it shouldn't be very difficult to get them to the end of the stage with your back to the edge.

I don't know, that sounds like something that isn't easy in theory, but it happens. I find myself in situations where I can bthrow often.

Also, if we're talking high percentage kill from the middle of FD, you have an entire half of the stage to get the grab, it's not that difficult.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
For Zelda&Sheik, Sheik really needs to struggle at killing the most in the game. As in, can't kill Mario until 200%. This will ensure Zelda gets used, and we accentuate that she hits hard and far, but doesn't rack the damage.
No matter how many times I see this same point put across, it's still rather pathetic. Yes, Sheik is decent, but even the Sheik/Zelda combination is significantly flawed. I'd much rather see it lik in B+ where both characters are good but the incresed transformation time prevents them from being used as one, or even surviving the switch. :p

But one thing they could definately use is a little bit more of a speed up on exiting transformation, at least when PT changes the pokemon can come out sheilding, spot dodging, or even jabbing; with good timing you can even come out dashing. :p

BSP

Smash Legend
I didn't say it should be reliable, or else I'd probably also be for speeding up fsmash. It would merely be another option. And when I said punish spotdodge I didn't so much mean releasing it, and hitting your opponent with the later, weaker hits (although that's also a possibility), more like charging when your opponent thinks you might not charge it, so they spotdodge, you charge while they spotdodge, and release when they come out of it. This is also possible with fsmash, but dsmash covers both spotdodges and rolls, as if they roll behind you, you can still hit them.

That paragraph kinda reinforces the fact that sonic can't kill you if you do not dodge, which is quite true atm.

Making it faster won't change the technical way he is played, but it also might make him seem unbalanced to many opponents. If he can reliably kill, he starts becoming like vBrawl Meta Knight (although not to nearly that high of a degree). He can rack damage pretty fast, and can do so against a large part of the cast while avoiding high damage himself. If he gets to a kill percentage and can then reliably kill? Doesn't seem very balanced.

How unbalenced? Sonic still has garbage priority, meaning he still has to trick his opponents to actually build damage. He wouldn't really become like vbrawl mk, since he still gets shut down by range, disjoints, lack of priority as mentioned before. How exacltly do you figure he can avoid damge while hitting the opponent? Like Chis said, you can only do so much, and if sonic's attempt fails, he gets punished(though that is kinda like every character, but sonic's attacks land him right next to oppponent, waiting to get hit.) I dont know, it's not very easy to safely poke with sonic, you are still taking great risks.

Falcon is similar against characters who keep their feet on the ground (as he has some more reliable offstage air kills like uair/bair/upb). All of his kill moves come out slow, and can be easily avoided by people who play keep away with superior range/disjointedness/projectiles. The main difference is Falcon has more kill options at very high percents (a bthrow kill, utilt, ftilt, aerial Falcon Kick, uair/bair onstage, etc). Sonic continually increases damage on his opponent, but still has mostly the same kill options for a long time. I think giving him more high percentage kill options, and more kill options at lower kill percents that are still hard to hit with like fsmash/bair, could help things from getting out of hand.

However, if he straight up gets reliable kill options, he'll probably be called out for unbalance, and either the changes would revert, or, his damage racking game would be nerfed to around what it was in vBrawl.

again, sonic is taking damage too while he's racking, and, correct me if im wrong, everyone besides him has a fast enough killing move to reliably punish mistakes

The view of the BBrawl project on Sonic seems to be to increase the speed at which you can damage rack to a kill percentage (and you can do so the same way vSonic does, with some more options such as dtilt to help out), and then you have more time to try and land a kill move on an opponent, which is not easy for Sonic. I believe they view this as a part to how Sonic plays: you really have to earn lower percentage kills, and giving him a reliable kill option is the easy way out, and would actually change the way he plays a bit more, as there would be different, and more effective strategies to killing your opponent. The game would be totally different when Sonic gets you to a kill percentage.

I'm just saying if you actually hit with it, you usually accomplish your goal of gimping your opponent. At lower percents against characters with great recoveries, it's still likely for them to make it back, but that's true with most moves that spike (the exceptions being absolutely devastating spikes like Ganon's and Ness's). I think how it is right now is fairly balanced.
I think we are overating sonic's approach and poking game, it's not really that safe.

My thoughts in red btw.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Hey guys, not to be rude or something, but I think AA and Thinkaman have probably heard the same repitition of this that is going on right now. I think we all know those flaws that we are pointing out and it is up to AA and Thinkaman to determine what they think is best for him. Unless AA or Thinkaman wants to keep this back and forth going.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
But one thing they could definately use is a little bit more of a speed up on exiting transformation, at least when PT changes the pokemon can come out sheilding, spot dodging, or even jabbing; with good timing you can even come out dashing. :p
one difference is that z/s can switch in the air though. and switching isn't as vital to them because they don't have stamina. and they can switch during respawn invincibility.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
one difference is that z/s can switch in the air though. and switching isn't as vital to them because they don't have stamina. and they can switch during respawn invincibility.
True, but you're likely to get punished for it still.

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
True, but you're likely to get punished for it still.
I've found that, by the time you can kill with Zelda's smashes (not lightning kicks), you can generally hit the enemy far enough away with Sheik to make it safe to change. Also you can use Sheik's awesome speed to get far enough away to make it even safer to change after knocking them back.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
my s/z point wasn't the change itself.
I know that combo is very good, and that can compete well agaist most of the cast, but Zelda is actually the weak part of them.

In some matchups, is better to remain like sheik, because it's harder for Zelda to kill them (like MK or GW (who actually ***** her hard in nearly everything)),
while, even if it's a little hard, Sheik CAN kill them (uair kills at relatively low %, fair is not safe, but somehow gimps well along with bair).

My point is that SoloSheik is pretty decent, and can play well even with no switching; but Zelda is a terrible character that you wannot to change?
(Really is she supposed to only come, hit and go away? that's just silly for Zelda players...)

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Zelda isn't designed to rack damage and never has been. If you could play super-defensive and extra campy you could probably main her (to learn Zelda I actually mained her for a while, and now I use her and Sheik as a team as much as I use Pit), but she really isn't good at killing. And Sheik has two reliable kill moves before 150%, barring a gimp: u-smash sweet spotted straight up or the explosion from u-air but only if the wind effect didn't stop it. She's not going to pull those off very often, so if you want a chance to kill before 150% you switch to Zelda.

Zelda's worst point is the early-game, honestly I can see her viably being switched to at 50% or so because she has such enough knockback that she could easily force an approach for those who can't camp. However, they are meant to be used as a team to reach that percentage.

The point is, no one should claim to main Zelda or Sheik, they should claim to main Zelda and Sheik. Ignoring either one is ignoring 50% of your attacks, and severely limits yourself to their potential.

This applies to the Marth and G&W matches. I feel less compelled to say "What can Zelda do to them?" and more compelled to say "What can the team do?" For the first question, the answer would be extended Zelda's range so she's more disjointed and make her moves faster. For the other it's focus on Sheik. Given the intent of this project, it's most likely going to concentrate on the second.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Zelda isn't designed to rack damage and never has been. If you could play super-defensive and extra campy you could probably main her (to learn Zelda I actually mained her for a while, and now I use her and Sheik as a team as much as I use Pit), but she really isn't good at killing. And Sheik has two reliable kill moves before 150%, barring a gimp: u-smash sweet spotted straight up or the explosion from u-air but only if the wind effect didn't stop it. She's not going to pull those off very often, so if you want a chance to kill before 150% you switch to Zelda.

Zelda's worst point is the early-game, honestly I can see her viably being switched to at 50% or so because she has such enough knockback that she could easily force an approach for those who can't camp. However, they are meant to be used as a team to reach that percentage.

The point is, no one should claim to main Zelda or Sheik, they should claim to main Zelda and Sheik. Ignoring either one is ignoring 50% of your attacks, and severely limits yourself to their potential.

This applies to the Marth and G&W matches. I feel less compelled to say "What can Zelda do to them?" and more compelled to say "What can the team do?" For the first question, the answer would be extended Zelda's range so she's more disjointed and make her moves faster. For the other it's focus on Sheik. Given the intent of this project, it's most likely going to concentrate on the second.
I already know everything you said.
I already play as both, and I already know how to use the combo.

Anyways, doesn't change the fact that Sheik is more viable than Zelda. The "what Zelda can do?" statement applies to the Zelda's combo part, because vs GnW ,as example, turtle beats everything she tries in range, so her strong attacks will hardly hit, and keeping distance won't work either, because a Bucket filled with 3 DFs can kill Zelda at 0% (not joke), plus the fact that its ending lag allows an easy approach for GW if it misses.
By the other side, GW is not very reliable at very close range, wich is Sheik's working area. Sure she will struggle at killing him, but at least, she stands a chance...

I never said she should be better at damaging, nor to increase her attack's priorities, and only speed change I actually suggested was aerial DinFire, wich won't help anything but her recovery (and I was also thinking on a faster pummel, but, nvm).

my point is that I wannot to say "Zelda should be played alone", but most likely "Zelda should be more viable"

btw, Sheik cannot knock her opponents far enough to switch at 50%, but something more like 90ish. =(

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, not to be rude or something, but I think AA and Thinkaman have probably heard the same repitition of this that is going on right now. I think we all know those flaws that we are pointing out and it is up to AA and Thinkaman to determine what they think is best for him. Unless AA or Thinkaman wants to keep this back and forth going.

Im sorry, I thought this was supposed to be balanced brawl, not What-AA-and-thinkaman-think-is Balanced Brawl.

why is this thread even here, and why was I even asked to come here and give my input if ampharos and think are the only people whos opinions on balancing characters matters? THATS why I think BB and B+ stupid, because everything that is done here is subjectivity under the guise of tryign to achieve balance.

I have done nothing but be straight up and honest when analysing a character that I main and place in tourney with to go about making him better in a way that complies with your arbitrary rules. and Ive been shot down every time.

Whats the point? seriously...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
to be fair, you should wait until AA and thinkaman comment any further on the project instead of assuming that they disagree with what has been proposed.

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
I never said she should be better at damaging, nor to increase her attack's priorities, and only speed change I actually suggested was aerial DinFire, wich won't help anything but her recovery (and I was also thinking on a faster pummel, but, nvm).
I know, the changes I suggested/discarded were mine. They're really the only changes I can see helping her against them, which I'll go into in a bit.

I'm open to anything anyone has to suggest, and honestly I can see your ideas helping her. But how many small changes is it going to take to change the fact that she can't get close to Marth? His fair, f-smash and DB all outrange and outspeed her, shutting down her game completely. In that situation, I don't see any alternative, except to give her range and speed, or to make her so strong it's worth the knocks.

Again, if anyone can prove me wrong, please do.

Typically, if a normal character can only use half of their moves because of a certain match-up, it's logical to focus on the half that works. Therefore, it's logical to look at Sheik's set of moves as a counter, and let Zelda stay in the match-ups she's good in.

btw, Sheik cannot knock her opponents far enough to switch at 50%, but something more like 90ish. =(
Truth; 50% was more my idea of where you could start playing as Zelda and being ok to handle the fight.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Im sorry, I thought this was supposed to be balanced brawl, not What-AA-and-thinkaman-think-is Balanced Brawl.

why is this thread even here, and why was I even asked to come here and give my input if ampharos and think are the only people whos opinions on balancing characters matters? THATS why I think BB and B+ stupid, because everything that is done here is subjectivity under the guise of tryign to achieve balance.

I have done nothing but be straight up and honest when analysing a character that I main and place in tourney with to go about making him better in a way that complies with your arbitrary rules. and Ive been shot down every time.

Sometimes I get the same impression of this topic. Why do I contribute here? Simply for the pursuit of more insight of this game. =)

And besides, it's fun arguing a case.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So, for the past few days I've been playing New Super Mario Brothers Wii and working. I would like to do more of the latter soon since that game is incredible, but I'd better address this topic.

That's a terrible and over exaggerated comparison. All these minor buffs won’t improve Sonic as nearly as enough as giving him a reliable kill move which would help in loads of match ups. People have been playing this game for over a year so surely they would know exactly what would improve their character by now? You can only improve Sonic in so many ways, you can add a bunch of little quirks and gimmicks to his moves until he doesn't even play as original intentioned, increase his hit boxes, loads of damage buffs, give him a reliable approach or just improve his methods of killing. If you won’t listen to the facts to mainers (and non-mainers) bring, who will you listen too?
This post raises a question for me. Have you actually been playing Bbrawl Sonic, or did you read the change list and start speculating? This is kinda an important point, to say the least.

Ok, I have a quick question. I've just recently (like, yesterday) picked up BBrawl Olimar, and I have to ask why in the world he's the only tether character now that has a recovery that puts him into helpless state.

Why?
There are only three "real" tether recoveries, as in the tether is actually their up special (guys like Samus have an up special on top of the tether). Let's look at them at base. Zero Suit Samus has another special that gives her a boost in the air back toward the stage (down special), has a wall jump, and can already tether multiple times with two different moves. Olimar gets a really nice boost back toward the stage if his tether doesn't target (pretty comparable to Yoshi's Egg Toss), has pretty decent aerials to defend himself as he comes back, has whistle armor, and is just generally the best of the three as a whole character. Ivysaur gets a somewhat useful but not that great boost when his tether doesn't target (straight up), has fairly poor aerials for the purpose of defending himself as he recovers (fair is the most important one for any character, and his is a slower precision move which is awful for this purpose), and he was generally considered the weak link on a team of three that was altogether mediocre in the first place. I think Olimar even has a bigger double jump than Ivysaur, but I'm not sure on that... Basically, Ivysaur had hands down the worst recovery of the three pure tether recovery characters (though Ivysaur isn't "really" a character), and Ivysaur needed the most help regardless. From what I've seen of gameplay of both, the case was that good Olimars made it back far more than a naive inspection would indicate while even good Ivysaurs get gimped a lot. Honestly, Olimar with a good recovery would be pretty ridiculous; I don't think anyone could honestly say something similar looking at standard Brawl Ivysaur...

It's very obvious to me. Olimar has the best mobility to fall-speed ratio of all tether characters (except maybe Lucas). It has little lag, is a transcendent (frame 1?) anti-air attack, which would be amazing if it could be used repeatedly in the air.

Additionally, Olimar with proper conservation of his jump, good DI, proper use of whistle, and a good Uair can usually make it back to the stage.

Olimar's grab isn't insanely broken, since it comes out on like frame 11, so some characters can just aerial into jab on him and win, and his OOS options get wrecked otherwise besides Usmash. He also has no priority on like, anything, lmao.
An important point to consider about tether grabs (and why they are as a group, especially Olimar's, pretty good from my perspective) is that there are two ways to make attacks safe on block. One is for them to have enough frame advantage (or not enough disadvantage) for any out of shield options to not hit fast enough to punish. The other is to hit with such spacing that none of the out of shield options can reach (pushing them off a ledge is a context specific method like this that the whole cast can do). Tether grabs basically remove the second option from general use (unless a lot of shield pushback is involved, as is the case on Link fsmash hit 2). I know as Mr. Game & Watch that I always space turtles and such on shields so most characters just can't grab me because they're too far away. I don't care if their grab hits on f1; it's useless OoS against my well-spaced turtle. However, even a slow f17 tether grab like Samus's may be able to snag me as I have some pretty lousy "frame advantage". Of course, tether grabs tend to be slower than normal grabs so the first avenue is better than ever against them, but I wanted to make a point that it's a trade-off that is honestly pretty fair (tether grab versus normal grab), not "tether grabs suck".

Also, Olimar's priority is easy to explain. His attacks all follow the normal rules of priority, but his pikmin are all independent agents. So, with his up smash (for instance), Olimar is just a third party while whichever pikmin hit upward and the opponent are the two having the hitbox interaction. That can make Olimar vulnurable since he's not protected by hitbox clashing from the greater majority of his moves (things like up tilt and nair where Olimar actually attacks himself are excluded, of course), but overall I don't find his ability to avoid being hit bad just because his pikmin tend to be much further away from Olimar's hurtboxes than a hand or a foot on most characters when they attack. Of course, additional care needs to be taken since his pikmin can take damage too, and the death of his pikmin will prevent them from generating further hitboxes for fairly obvious reasons.

olimar is very polarized.
No kidding. Olimar is one of the hardest characters to design around because of how weird his matchups are and how non-traditional his mechanics are in a pretty polarizing way. I don't think there's an easy fix for this, and we are mostly ready to just accept that Olimar is going to be the best or worst matchup for a bunch of characters.

No matter how many times I see this same point put across, it's still rather pathetic. Yes, Sheik is decent, but even the Sheik/Zelda combination is significantly flawed. I'd much rather see it lik in B+ where both characters are good but the incresed transformation time prevents them from being used as one, or even surviving the switch. :p

There are 34 characters who function as independent units (well, calling Ice Climbers "independent" is somewhat absurd, but let's go with it). Why is it so controversial to have 2 characters who do not? I can't help but think this every time Zelda & Sheik or the Pokemon Trainer are brought up.

I don't think my opinion (or Thinkaman's opinion) is the only one that matters. I'm sure Sakurai didn't think his opinion was the only one that mattered. This is just an issue of game design. Ultimately, there has to be some way to decide what's in the game. The only way to somehow give the community as a whole direct control over what is in the game is going to be a form of game design by democracy. That... just does not work. We've seen it done before, and here is what happens:

-Popular characters end up flat out better than unpopular ones. Guys like the Star Fox characters get overbuffed, and most people don't mind them being near the top. Characters no one likes or cares about like Yoshi end up bottom tier because the few Yoshi mains are irrelevant next to the group as a whole.

-There ends up being no coherent design philosophy. Everyone wants to take the game in their own direction, and the game you end up with ends up being one that probably destroyed whatever virtue the original had. Even ideas like "improve balance" that seem so easy to adhere to end up being tossed by the wayside as the masses decide they like one thing or another more than they like balance (actual balance isn't very exciting anyway).

-Loudmouths rule. Basically, people who are calm, collected, and quiet have almost no chance of getting their input taken seriously as people who are overbearing just drown them out. This makes the community end up sucking in addition to bringing in the absurd criteria for being a community leader of "is really loud".

The way professional games are designed, and the only sane way we know, is to have some smaller person or group (group daring not go beyond what you could count on one hand) be the ultimate decision makers for the project. Yes, a lot of what is done will be somewhat arbitary and will adhere to their own ideas more than the group's. However, consider the advantages. They can adhere to a single vision for the game (which is way better than the game having no vision), they can be far more objective than a group in focusing on unpopular game units (I don't care if Yoshi is unpopular; I'm giving him as much attention as I give Marth or Meta Knight), and they can enforce some sort of order in how input is considered such that being loud is not an advantage.

We really do try our best to be open. We make all the codes we use public. We provide as much technical support as we can handle so our project is usable by as many people as possible. We don't keep secret project goals; while we do talk between ourselves in private, every actual goal we have is posted. If someone asks us why we did something, we try to answer. This topic is near 200 pages so obviously we can't be perfect, but it's a ton of work so I hope people can see we really are putting forward a legitimate effort to be as open as possible. We do have to be "tyrants" in a sense, but that is only because we know that there have to be people in charge of decision making at the end, and given that it's our project, I think it's fair that it be us. Do notice, however, that we made all of our resources open and available so if someone wanted to make a competing project, they could use everything we've done.

As per subjectivity, almost everything about game design is subjective. There isn't any golden objective data proving that "Meta Knight is the best character", "Ganondorf has a bad matchup with Olimar", or "Zero Suit Samus's forward smash is a bad move". That those things are generally believed to be true about standard Brawl is only a combination of many subjective opinions. Sure, who wins and loses in any game or series of games is objective, but as soon as you raise a question of "why", things are infinitely subjective. I don't deny that much of what we've done is based on our subjective opinions about the game. However, our subjective opinions are informed by the subjective opinions of many others as well as our own experiences, including experience with game design. You are going to have to go with someone's subjective opinions in the end, and don't think that just not playing a hacked version of Brawl is a solution either. In that case, you're just trusting Sakurai above anyone in the smash community. I think the quality of our work is pretty high, and I feel myself (and Thinkaman) trustworthy in delivering a quality product with our work speaking for itself largely (I honestly believe that if people just played our game they would like it; I have that level of confidence).

Also, if you have been "shot down" a lot, it's only because we're trying to get the best data we can to take into future versions of the game. I try to be nice, and I know Thinkaman does too. However, people have to be challenged (especially since usually the things they address conflict with something we've already considered internally), and it is the case that some types of input are simply more useful than others. We do our best to walk the line that gives us the best data we can to make the best game possible. That's our ultimate commitment; we want to make the best game possible following our design philosophy. This is seriously not easy, and I hope people understand where we're coming from.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That being said, and as a person who is actually involved in the creation of this game and its codes, it would be highly helpful to me and i think a lot of the sonic mainers that were asked to come here and give our thoughts on the idea, if you personally would go through, at the very least, the list of suggestions that Ive made and give me your opinions on them.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Time for a big post.

Sorry if I missed a quote or didn't reply to you, but there's a lot. I did read everything though, and the quality of posts has been generally high.

Now, time for some fast replies.

I say no to a throw that kills at 120%.

Very few throws should kill even at 140%

I'd say to make his charged arrows do more damage would be a decent buff, and move the n-air buff to u-air.

Pit is a character that isn't supposed to be killing to easily, but he's alot like sonic where he can easily get damage on the character with fast moves. Also his aerials are pretty decent at killing.
There's a lot of temptation to add KO powers to throws. In theory it sounds like a very straightforward way to help any character with KO problems. However, we've found that people *really* don't like them in practice. If people "feel" a throw is "too strong" or "not supposed to do that", they have a pretty strong negative emotional reaction.

I believe it has to do with throws feeling "less your fault" due to the delay from being grabbed--you are more sensitive to a perceived injustice. ROB's u-throw seems to be the exception, but all other stronger KO throws people tend to dislike unanimously in practice.

In the future, don't expect much in terms of stronger KO throws. We'll try other things first.

I regard Pit in a very similar manner to Sonic in the current BBrawl build; both damage racking characters who are slightly under par that should get a little more reward than they have on certain moves. They don't need anything drastic, which I would argue kill move buffs are leaning towards being, just something small like damage or knockback angle tweaking. For these two damage just seems to fit the best.
Agreed.

Wolf was the worst good character before, because he got gayed by any thing you could name... With all of those things gone, he really is a decent character.
Agreed again. Wolf will be investigated some, but he doesn't need a revolution.

Anyone think old King DDD may need some help.?
To be honest... not at all. I've been extremely pleased with where DDD is personally. I was DDD in a few matches of the BBrawl event we had and won all of those. D-throw to d-tilt is scary good. Once in a blue moon I get the d-throw spike off too.

DDD still has his Bair and godly grab range to help him out

he is now solid IMO, not broken
At one point Ampharos thought King DDD was the #1 character on the roster during testing. That has changed since then of course, but still: the King is good.

DDD's F-tilt is blockable on reaction, he can't actually projectile camp against anyone who doesn't take dumb commitments, his recovery is alright but SUPER punishable, and his U-tilt is SUPER telegraphed and very difficult to land on conservative players, and his Smashes are for the most part not viable moves. Without his chaingrab, he no longer is able to do reliable massive damage to compensate for his extreme lack of any reliable KO moves.

Yes, he probably needs help. I personally think he's worse off than most characters in this game. The best grab can only do so much if all your throws can do is tack on bits of damage. He has trouble actually utilizing most of his movepool effectively on stage since he can't actually approach with his crap mobility and huge stature. I mean, he's obviously not bottom tier since he doesn't get autogimped and he can shieldgrab like a homo. But that's basically all that's going for him.

Changes I want to see to Marth:
+1 to throws. both a buff and a nerf, this should remove a few chaingrabs that Marth has on certain characters like Falco. Possibility of losing F-throw to F-smash exists, but Marth should also appreciate a slight knockback increase on his Up-throw for emergency KOs
-3 to all versions of the last hit of Dancing Blade. Tell me why this move doesn't deserve it. <_<

Change I want to see on G&W:
-1 to first four hits of B-air, +1 to last hit. The theory I have behind this is to unpolarize certain matchups he does really well in, and to help his harder matchups. The reduced damage means that people who are constantly pressured to death by this attack should survive longer. On the flipside, the reduced damage means it is harder to SDI, which makes it harder for say Marth to SDI and punish it, and the final hit getting a damage buff would go some way to help get Marth offstage.

Change I want to see on Snake:
-4 to D-throw, +1 to all other throws.Mostly a nerf, but this should encourage more variety to Snake's grab game.

Change I want to see on Falco:
D-tilt knockback increased. This is mostly a useless move due to Falco having better, safer options, but seeing that Falco lacks solid KO options, he should get another viable option.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for balancing characters.
Thanks for the feedback. Going fast:

Marth probably won't be changed. Dancing Blade nerf was actually considered very early on in the project but turned down--I think Marth will continue to be acceptable as he is.

The G&W change would only help mid-level play, and would actually hurt high level play because it would be harder to SDI the move.

We talked about something similar to the Snake change, but might not go that route. We'll see.

The Falco change is interesting, but I'm not sure Falco is really in a position to be needing buffs.

I'm disappointed that you removed Yoshi's chaingrab (what with being a Yoshi user, that was one of the highlights of me playing amongst my friends) but you've done a lot to even it out, so I'll play and see :D

also for the record Marth probably does need a nerf. Marth vs. Yoshi is such a bad matchup for the poor dino. Unless the various changes give him more capability to get through Marth's range and get him offstage, of course.
Yoshi's chaingrab slightly polarized his matchups and was a byproduct of mechanics that did far worse things in other matchups. Hopefully you'll find his buffs, that work on everyone, more helpful.

Egg restoring double jump is especially helpful against Marth, who seems particularly good at swatting Yoshi out of the air to begin with.

Now... Diddy on the other hand.... just WHY did Nintendo add him? NOBODY wanted him. and what's worse - he's GOOD. D:
The DKC games were extremely successful, especially in Western markets.

This project wouldn't exist if Nintendo actually gamed about their gamer consumer base.
Actually this project wouldn't exist if Nintendo didn't care about their gamer consumer base.

This project wouldn't exist if Falcon and MK had been swapped in the tiers.
Perhaps!

They do.

Their consumer base wants to have chaotic, unpredictable fun.

We are the minority.
Masahiro Sakurai][SIZE="3 said:
I am very glad that the game has been enjoyed by many people. Some play seriously and others play it for fun. Then there are also those who play the home run derby mode. Different people playing it for many different reasons makes me feel good about the game.[/SIZE]
crap, do I need winRAR to unzip these?
Yeah you should definitely get it to unzip stuff. Most stuff you download nowadays is zipped anyways so you might as well get it now.
No, get 7zip!

I believe 7zip is free and should be able to unzip .rars. I could be mistaken though.
Urg, out of my head with you!

according to vBrawl charts, Sonic's worst Mu's are the following:

:marth: :gw: (35/65 them)

and his only adventageous ones are:

:ivysaur: :falcon: :link2: :ganondorf: :ness2:

everyone else he pretty much went 40/60 against, with a few 50/50's and 45's tossed in

Marth and GW still have that rnage and disjointedness to give sonic trouble, and everyone else has gotten buffed, making his 40/60's most likley worse.

he definatly needs a bit of attention
Sonic won't be ignored, but his existing buffs are definitely non-trivial.

I feel that I have rightfully earned the title of "gamer" through my many hours of mastering the Mega Man X games, so I have a hard time putting someone who plays nothing but Guitar Hero and the newest Mario Kart game a gamer.

Nintendo used to make games for masochists like us, but now...
...but now they make NSMBW? The most masochistic game since DMC4?

These buffs are nice and everything but don't deal with Sonics real problems like range, approaching and killing. Why not just simply make his Fsmash and Dsmash faster and stronger...?
Well, speed on the moves won't be changed.

A little bit of KO power is somethign that might be perfectly fine to investigate. However, adding enough of a difference so Sonic now relies entirely on these moves as a character would be bad... we already see a bit of this with Mario and the buffs to his smashes, which will be addressed.

It was general A Tier.

We could tack on +3 to Sonic fSmash and call it a day.
Ha, that would be so awful. Hypno-NUKE!

Well remeber the goal of this project is the make characters better by means of changing as little as possible. We buff and nerf with the upmost priority of trying to maintain the style, gameplay, strengths and weaknesses of the character in tact.

With character's weakness and bad matchups I think it fiqures like this:

A) buff a specific move(s) that would would help in a particular matchup(s) eg: Luigi's fireballs.

B) buff a chars. strength eg: Link ,better arrows (projectile game) and overall better onstage game to compensate for garbage recovery.

C) Overall give a character more reward for their moves eg: Falcon and generally most of the cast.

D) If a weakness of said character is THAT over polarizing then a gamechanger may be implimented to aid eg: Ike's quickdraw, Ivysaur nonfreefall vinewhip, Yoshi's Egg Roll recovery.

E) Ganondorf

With Sonic I think we either give him a relatively good kill throw that kills maybe below 150-170% fresh, Slightly increase the knockback of his Fsmash or Downsmash. Or focus on his damage racking to quickly get to those all important kill %

@ Axis youd be surprized what a few damage % can do. I think it was AA who said at one point they added just 6% on Falcon's knee and it began killing at 50%.

Generally most people want Marth, Game and Watch, Olimar since many character's in the game still have major problems with them.

And this is all a work in progress so be patient and offer good opinions on the problems that will occur
Best post in thread.

Make sonics sweet spot dair spike.

This is a fair and balenced addition that helps alleviate a lot of sonics problems

also make his up air do at least 12%
Uair is already really good, first off.

Second, I don't see at all how his dair spiking would help his bad matchups. Is there some trick or special use you are thinking of? My ears are open as always.

Pound is also ridiculously easy to bait, and has a good amount of ending lag. Using it as a primary offensive move in a serious match is simply unheard of. You'll use it about as much as Samus' up-b.
Eh, It's Jigglypuff's "crutch move". She has to rely on it more and more in bad matchups where her normal aerial moveset can't work well, like Marth and G&W.

This might have already been asked by why didnt u get rid of stamina for PT
I think someone else covered it, but we wanted to balance PT, not split him up. I don't want to start an argument that's been had over and over, but in short PT is a character in Brawl and Squirtle, Ivysuar, and Charizard are not. I think it was Paprika who pointed out a while ago that even offering the ability to play solo Pokemon at all is effectively taking PT out of the game. They are fundamentally different from Sheik/Zelda.

Plus, the time to switch between Pokemon has been cut in half so yeah!.
This seriously helps a lot.

I'm sorry, but you don't understand Jigglypuff at all. There's no other way to put it. Pound's hitbox LOOKS like it has a good amount of ending lag, but in reality it is basically unpunishable because the hitbox lingers so long.
Uh, not really.

i always thought forced switching and stamina was redundant and unnecessary
I mean, in some ways sort of, but on the whole not really. Just one or the other would be sort of a half-hearted "you durn kids better play with all yur pokeymans and not just one" attempt. Both make it a bit robust.

Just to point out, this is not how it works. In a complex fighting game, there's always more than one way to solve an issue, especially one as broad as, "make this character good". There is an enormous number of ways they could make Sonic viable without buffing his kill moves.

Examples just to illustrate how varied solutions could be:
- Make all his other attacks deal 10% more damage without increasing their knockback.
- Give Sonic an infinite shield.
- Make all the other characters suck.
- Give Sonic the ability to spawn food at-will.

Naturally all these solutions are utterly ridiculous, and would contradict the purpose of the project. But my point is that there's never just one way to fix a character -- don't assume just because Sonic's problem involves killing, he can't be fixed by changing something other than his kill moves.
Yes. You have the main idea correct: There are many ways to solve a problem. The most direct is often not the best.

I just want to say that I have read the entire thread, and I'm not going to make a big post now, though I'll be dropping in again.
I look forward to it!

If you won’t listen to the facts to mainers (and non-mainers) bring, who will you listen too?
Make no mistake, me and Ampharos are listening. Even when he ask questions and argue and debate points, everything is feedback that is considered.

For Zelda&Sheik, Sheik really needs to struggle at killing the most in the game. As in, can't kill Mario until 200%. This will ensure Zelda gets used, and we accentuate that she hits hard and far, but doesn't rack the damage.

For Sonic, we simply make him rack damage FASTER. However, I don't think he's inherently flawed as a whole character. We need to see if the Sonic mains are actually using dTilt properly before we accept their complaints :p
First, I think d-tilt is being really underrated. It was a pretty crappy poke before, and now it sets up a chase. Sonic likes chasing.

Sheik's struggle to KO + massive damage dealing is about perfect right now imo. I don't think she needs to be more polarized.

Sonic is the easiest character to fix ever.

Change the angle on Nair so that it hits at a downward angle. Same as MK's Dair (but obviously it won't be as devestating as MKs Dair because it doesn't have the same range and Sonic can't chase you with it since he can't fly). It also can set up a tech chase at high percent, leading into Bair or fsmash.

This sets him up to land K.O.s, and doesn't change the character at all.
I like this idea, and will investigate it further.

Ok, I have a quick question. I've just recently (like, yesterday) picked up BBrawl Olimar, and I have to ask why in the world he's the only tether character now that has a recovery that puts him into helpless state.

Why?
I think everyone else tried to answer this already, but oh well.

To be honest, if I was doing this game from scratch Tethers would probably be different and more consistent. But for this case?

Olimar has good horizontal aerial mobility, retains movement during tether, can armor any hit with whistle, has somewhat lagless projectiles, and has a very defensive grab game that helps prevent ever getting off stage in the first place.

Simply put, Olimar has the tools to work around his otherwise awful recovery. Ivysuar, by comparison, has absolutely zero of those things.

you know what a fantastic sonic addition would be (i swear im not joking)
make all 3 of the down smash hits, hit at full power. so that way when an opponent airdodges or spotdodges into it at 150. in stead of just getting hit half way across the stage by a cruddy 5% weak hit, theyll die. its still requires the opponent to mess up. but it give sonic another actually viable kill option. that does actually have semi setups into it, so it doesnt change sonics game play at all
Tweaks to d-smash are certainly an option worth looking into.

Just fyi, a lower angle is basically the same as being stronger in most cases. Try out Falcon's up tilt, for example.
This is very true.

Usually if it's gonna kill, it's gonna kill. 2 or 3 damage probably wouldn't change how much it's canceled by certain characters' attacks either.
The way knockback is calculated, it is linear with damage of the hitbox. AKA, a move with the "same knockback" that does 10% instead of 5% will hit twice as far. (At any level of damage.)

I think we are overating sonic's approach and poking game, it's not really that safe.
Yes, that is why Snic struggles against team disjoint so much, and the reason d-tilt got buffed.

I feel our position and the effect we have put into place is solid: Zelda and Shiek solo are very viable and have nothing fundamentally wrong with them at all, but are probably around the worst characters in the roster. (I mean, SOMEONE has to be "worst"...) Conversely, Zelda+Shiek used together is around the top.

Zelda's f-tilt change (a timing change?!? heaven forbid!) helps her worst solo matchups a lot. Her other gimmicks are situationally helpful and make her an overall better character that is frankly a lot more interesting to play.

I'm sorry if you took the comments of anyone else as representing us. We listen to and legitimately value all feedback. This thread has a great deal of debate in it, which generally is pretty healthy. No one gets a free pass, even me and ampharos; everythign that is said is opened up for criticism.

Thanks for offering your experience, really. I hope you will continue to contribute to the conversation.

WALL

OF

TEXT
I would buy 10 premium memberships if I could rename your account "Mr. Gorbachev" for a month.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
To be honest, Yoshi's Island DS was extremely masochistic D: 2-Extra was "Touch a surface and you die!"

It's great to hear feedback from you guys, and I agree that low nAir is the best buff Sonic could ever ask for while still being that skinny little hedgehog.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
In my personal opinion on Sonic, which isn't much, I'd say a buff to look into is something with Dsmash.

Think and AA's opinions aren't the only ones that matter, their opinions can heavily be persuaded into a different direction with correct, and viable input from the community, wishing to better the game.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
since think just did wat i asked, im not going to make AA do it again.

and as a sonic main, talking about a game that i dont know all that well, im going to stick to and focus on what i know.

1. sonics up air.
currently iirc, sonics up air, has a 3% first hit and a 7% second hit. The way up air is designed, if you hit the first hit with his feet or legs. it pops them up normally into the second hit. But if you hit with the toes, the opponet is sent reverse at about a 20 degree angle, this is so when sonic hits you with a full speed (very very fast) spindash the up air first hit will make the opponent still get hit by the second hit since sonic covers way more horizontal distance out of a spindash jump and the normal foot leg first hit would not move them far enough to get hit by the second hit.

however theres still the fact that its possible to hit with the toe hitbox with out being in a spindash, which results in the second hit missing. when that happens to me, I am disapointed because not only did I screw up a techchase/punish but I only got 3% out of the deal which is bull crap. and since up air1 already has stagnant ( i forgot the correct word) knockback. it shouldnt be a problem to increase the moves damage.
theres also the fact that most sonic players use up air2 as a stand alone move as well to take advantage of its range/priority against other characters down airs, not even attempting to hit with teh first hit. so with all of these uses the move can tend to get very very stale at times. making the combined attack damage 12-14% should
1. increase his damage output
2. make the move not useless when stale.
3. give a miniscule boost to his kill power.
4. slightly increase the reward even when the move is (im)properly spaced, depending on the occasion.
5. make his aerials more well rounded. seeing as bair and fair both do 13% (rarely) and nair (also rarely) does 12.

sonics down air.
If we are going to stick to the sonic has to work for his kills motif, we should help him out a bit more when it comes to his gimping abilities. the change to the spring dropis helpful, but i still dont think it does enough vs most characters. when i look at characters that cant kill, i look at sonic, sheik, samus and pit. all of those characters have numerous ways to effectively gimp people. where as when i look at sonic i see a character that has numerous ways to pester people and build damage offstage. the situation for pit to mirror some ones recovery doesnt happen very often, but when it does, it has the abilties to kill below 50. sonic is still normally going to have to get a character to almost 200 to kill them which im fine with, but he should also have that clutch situational move that can kill really low, if the opponent screws up. And I think a spiking (sweet spot only) down air would fulfill that purpose.

sonics down smash
Ive already told you about my full duration strong down smash idea and the mechanics behind that. because its really upsetting to bait a spotdodge out of somebody so you can punish it and have the punishment be a cruddy hit that does 5%, doesnt hit them any where and doesnt even give you a frame advanatage (including the time it takes sonic to get in range again.) It would also make the 2nd (possibly) and 3rd hits safe on shield. which would also be a nice (not broken) quirk.

note that im not in anyway advocating all 3 of these ideas at once, (tho it would be nice) any one of these i think would make sonic much more even with the other characters. although i think the down smash buff is a bit less influential than the other two, so the optimal idea imo would be to bring in either one of the first 2 options and the third.

also, the nair idea is a good thought, although i personally just dont really like it for reasons i just cant place..

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
I feel our position and the effect we have put into place is solid: Zelda and Shiek solo are very viable and have nothing fundamentally wrong with them at all, but are probably around the worst characters in the roster. (I mean, SOMEONE has to be "worst"...) Conversely, Zelda+Shiek used together is around the top.

Zelda's f-tilt change (a timing change?!? heaven forbid!) helps her worst solo matchups a lot. Her other gimmicks are situationally helpful and make her an overall better character that is frankly a lot more interesting to play.
My roommates fear my f-tilt>u-smash combo now!

And I would fully agree.

As I side note, by NSMBW do you mean the new Super Mario game? And I take it I should own this?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I mean, in some ways sort of, but on the whole not really. Just one or the other would be sort of a half-hearted "you durn kids better play with all yur pokeymans and not just one" attempt. Both make it a bit robust.
i agree with this in the case of stamina + no forced switch. forced switch is quite adequate, imo. and the only thing stamina accomplishes is that PT is punished for switching back to a Pokemon too soon after using it extensively. which has its own drawbacks with no respawn switching and the commitment to a switch (but this isn't as much of a problem in bbrawl).

stamina is way too powerful at high level play though. it's a major handicap at the end of close matches. ideally, pokemon trainers will strategize so that their most effective pokemon is the one used on the last stock, but smart opponents will just refuse to approach you (all three pokemon are pretty weak at forcing approaches) until your stamina is out. then you either can't kill or are forced to switch to a matchup you often really don't want to use. it's a lose-lose situation, PT is stuck between a rock and a hard place ivysaur.

there are a lot of ways to go about this, but i really feel that stamina is too easy to abuse. the point of PT is to use both the good and bad matchups but the good matchups are just so easy to neutralize. i've lost way more tourney games to that than to an ivysaur gimp or something. some of the changes made so far (faster switching speed, charizard's KO buffs, overall better pokemon) help with the consequences of gay play but i don't know if they completely solve the problem itself. i've yet to play bbrawl extensively, much less be camped in it. you could provide all these buffs. or you could just alter the way stamina works, somehow.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
i agree with this in the case of stamina + no forced switch. forced switch is quite adequate, imo. and the only thing stamina accomplishes is that PT is punished for switching back to a Pokemon too soon after using it extensively. which has its own drawbacks with no respawn switching and the commitment to a switch (but this isn't as much of a problem in bbrawl).

stamina is way too powerful at high level play though. it's a major handicap at the end of close matches. ideally, pokemon trainers will strategize so that their most effective pokemon is the one used on the last stock, but smart opponents will just refuse to approach you (all three pokemon are pretty weak at forcing approaches) until your stamina is out. then you either can't kill or are forced to switch to a matchup you often really don't want to use. it's a lose-lose situation, PT is stuck between a rock and a hard place ivysaur.

there are a lot of ways to go about this, but i really feel that stamina is too easy to abuse. the point of PT is to use both the good and bad matchups but the good matchups are just so easy to neutralize. i've lost way more tourney games to that than to an ivysaur gimp or something. some of the changes made so far (faster switching speed, charizard's KO buffs, overall better pokemon) help with the consequences of gay play but i don't know if they completely solve the problem itself. i've yet to play bbrawl extensively, much less be camped in it. you could provide all these buffs. or you could just alter the way stamina works, somehow.
What if stamina was altered so that it doesn't go down when you are standing still?

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
What if stamina was altered so that it doesn't go down when you are standing still?
I like the idea; It also reminds me of the Pokemon games when one of your pokemon is poisoned and they are hurt when you walk.

The problem, though, is that when playing against a "camper character" like Falco, DDD, Fox, and Olimar, it would be utterly useless to stand still. The opponent wouldn't be making you more fatigued, but you would be eating damage like crazy by not moving.

One question of implementation regarding this, though, is whether the other Pokemon's staminas should recharge while not moving. I think that they should, so that if you wait, and your opponent doesn't attack you, they are slightly incentivized to approach. (or spam projectiles)

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
what about bbrawl with the brawl+ pac files ?
i tried out bbrawl but forgot the remove the b+ pac files so I got balanced brawl + now.
its actually fun to play.

ill wait for bbrawl to be more played before i get into it more seriously, but im definitely watching this project.
yoshi fair = too good

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea; It also reminds me of the Pokemon games when one of your pokemon is poisoned and they are hurt when you walk.

The problem, though, is that when playing against a "camper character" like Falco, DDD, Fox, and Olimar, it would be utterly useless to stand still. The opponent wouldn't be making you more fatigued, but you would be eating damage like crazy by not moving.

One question of implementation regarding this, though, is whether the other Pokemon's staminas should recharge while not moving. I think that they should, so that if you wait, and your opponent doesn't attack you, they are slightly incentivized to approach. (or spam projectiles)
Powershielding shuts down just about all ranged campers except Fox. If other campers, like Oli or Tink, are in range, PT isn't going to be sitting still.

This sounds like a great idea, honestly.

Another suggestion, what if we could change the overall strength of stamina? Say, cut it in half so it isn't so drastic. You're still encouraged to switch to another Poke, and there's still a force-switch on death, but if you get in a bad way you'll have more of a fighting chance.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Powershielding shuts down just about all ranged campers except Fox. If other campers, like Oli or Tink, are in range, PT isn't going to be sitting still.
While yes, Powershielding DOES shut down camping, it seems like unless your advancing, which would make this whole idea pointless, you're still getting camped.

This idea sounds sweet though.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

Zelda/Sheik combo is really good indeed.

"Zelda is supposed to be played as a combo and I've already understood that, so why I'm still complaining about she and her solo matchups?" because she is still on the team, and even if damage is not a problem now, she is still strugglung a lot against them.

Sure, you solved most of her (their?) matchups, Ftilt really helps a lot against most air games like MK and Peach, and helps a lot with poking and pressuring; yet, GW and Marth are still her worst matchups, very badly (both was pointed before in this thread, maybe I'll edit this after I look for them).

In both, speed and disjointment really shuts her down, so her actual buffs doesn't help at all.

Anyways, I'm actually unable to think a way to solve that unless affecting her actual good/even MU's.

Again, I'm not actually suggesting to make Zelda more viable (mostly because she already is, at least for fun), but to help her with these particular Matchups.

Mit

Smash Ace

1. sonics up air.
currently iirc, sonics up air, has a 3% first hit and a 7% second hit. The way up air is designed, if you hit the first hit with his feet or legs. it pops them up normally into the second hit. But if you hit with the toes, the opponet is sent reverse at about a 20 degree angle, this is so when sonic hits you with a full speed (very very fast) spindash the up air first hit will make the opponent still get hit by the second hit since sonic covers way more horizontal distance out of a spindash jump and the normal foot leg first hit would not move them far enough to get hit by the second hit.

however theres still the fact that its possible to hit with the toe hitbox with out being in a spindash, which results in the second hit missing. when that happens to me, I am disapointed because not only did I screw up a techchase/punish but I only got 3% out of the deal which is bull crap. and since up air1 already has stagnant ( i forgot the correct word) knockback. it shouldnt be a problem to increase the moves damage.
theres also the fact that most sonic players use up air2 as a stand alone move as well to take advantage of its range/priority against other characters down airs, not even attempting to hit with teh first hit. so with all of these uses the move can tend to get very very stale at times. making the combined attack damage 12-14% should
1. increase his damage output
2. make the move not useless when stale.
3. give a miniscule boost to his kill power.
4. slightly increase the reward even when the move is (im)properly spaced, depending on the occasion.
5. make his aerials more well rounded. seeing as bair and fair both do 13% (rarely) and nair (also rarely) does 12.
Perhaps a more mild version of this would be to simply ensure uair always connects both hits? It doesn't seem like they're going for the increased damage, but if it always connected you atleast wouldn't have to worry about it backfiring on you. This has been done with some other moves in BBrawl such as Tink's dsmash and fsmash.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Sakurai didn't think his opinion was the only one that mattered... Ultimately, there has to be some way to decide what's in the game. The only way to somehow give the community as a whole direct control over what is in the game is going to be a form of game design by democracy. That... just does not work.
I agree with this sentiment entirely. But, I doubt the concept and implimentation of tripping was a group effort. Seriously.

Thanks for taking the time to extensively respond, both AA and Thinka.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps a more mild version of this would be to simply ensure uair always connects both hits? It doesn't seem like they're going for the increased damage, but if it always connected you atleast wouldn't have to worry about it backfiring on you. This has been done with some other moves in BBrawl such as Tink's dsmash and fsmash.
The thing about Tink's smashes is that they are performed when stationary. However, Sonic is often moving when he's upairing, so it's difficult to make it always connect. Or, could it be made more like Link's fsmash, where you definitely won't connect with both hits, but each could stand on its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom