• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Thats cool, but it isn't Gecko OS 1.9.2 just saying. Its 1.9.1. Unless you misnamed it on your download.
I was mistaken; we are using 1.9.1. Apparently a small number of users have issues with 1.9.2, and otherwise the two are identical for our purposes. Sorry for the minor confusion this may have caused.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Alright guys, I'm confident that the NTSC-U release has no issues. As I double checked, I fixed a few very trivial issues, like one concerning IC up-b and a missing number a Sonic d-tilt hitbox. It also fixes a last minute DK cargo grab release infintie on Ness and Lucas that Big O brought up. (thanks!) No big deal, anyone can redownload if they feel really concerned.

This is the definitive final version, for absolute sure. I have 4 characters to finish the changelists for, so I'll do that shortly.

smakis

Smash Ace
this looks pretty neat, couldnt find it but did you remove tripping? (you said you wouldnt mess with it too much but i honestly think most people would let that slip x) )

From how i understand it hitstun is also unchanged? which means you still can dodge out of most combos? If it is this probably isnt my cup of tea, i like my combos =)

Something else that concerns me (not your fault though) is that there now is a third option of brawl, now we have vbrawl, bbrawl and brawl+, and i feel its going to get hard for any of the hacks to become really big since people are so divided. (personally i would prefer brawl+ to be patched onto regular brawl by nintendo but we all know thats never going to happen lol)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
There's oodles of little secrets bundled in here that's not mentioned. Jab animation's are cool.

Here's a few suggestions though:

Red Fire effect on Mario's jabs.
Green Fire effect on Luigi's jabs.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Looks really cool, should have some tests out soon, though... don't understand by you bothered to increase the difficulty on the chaingrab for ICs, that just means they'll take more practice, but still have the same basic issue. That and the overall buff makes them probably the top character in this by far.

chivesontheweb

Smash Cadet
Can't get the darn thing to work. Get all the way through gecko and such, but as soon as I hit the stage select screen it freezes up and I have to power off. I'm pretty certain I haven't done anything wrong in the "installation" and, just to be sure, I redownloaded the .zip and replaced the other versions of the files on my SD. Still doesn't work. Apparently happened to a friend of mine as well.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Our testing suggests that 0-death should be effectively impossible for even the most talented of Ice Climbers players; we're talking 1 frame windows that vary in timing based on every single matchup and stale moves and damage if things pan out like I hope they did (it's hard to be very scientific with our ICs changes for a variety of reasons). The goal is that it's still "possible" to do the infinite chaingrabs (a very, very fundamental mechanics change to ICs would be required to prevent that) but so hard that not even the best players can do it. Contrary to what some people will say, there is a very real limit to what people can do. The same way you can't just beat Meta Knight with Marth every time by just using Dolphin Slash's frame 1 invincibility to punish everything Meta Knight does (hypothetically possible), you shouldn't be able to do these long cgs anymore.

In short, our response to the ICs issues is that we want to see a player who can exploit this hypothetical "brokenness", and until we do, we're calling it impossible.

chivesontheweb, you need to remove your SD card after you boot Balanced Brawl. If you don't do this, smash stack will cause lock-ups on the stage select screen. I added a note to our four step process to make this point ultra-clear.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Can't get the darn thing to work. Get all the way through gecko and such, but as soon as I hit the stage select screen it freezes up and I have to power off. I'm pretty certain I haven't done anything wrong in the "installation" and, just to be sure, I redownloaded the .zip and replaced the other versions of the files on my SD. Still doesn't work. Apparently happened to a friend of mine as well.
I've experienced a freeze on the SSS as well; however, it was when I selected Hanenbow and I had forgotten to remove the SD card from the Wii. It worked perfectly after rebooting and remembering to remove the SD card before starting a match.

Edit: And I type too slow. AA covered it, and this post is pointless. Carry on then.

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen this addressed for the Standard Release yet, but what's the deal with textures? I have them on the card, but they didn't load automatically, so I'm assuming you didn't include the code? Would that be possible to do in the Standard Release? Did I just mess something up?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Our testing suggests that 0-death should be effectively impossible for even the most talented of Ice Climbers players; we're talking 1 frame windows that vary in timing based on every single matchup and stale moves and damage if things pan out like I hope they did (it's hard to be very scientific with our ICs changes for a variety of reasons). The goal is that it's still "possible" to do the infinite chaingrabs (a very, very fundamental mechanics change to ICs would be required to prevent that) but so hard that not even the best players can do it. Contrary to what some people will say, there is a very real limit to what people can do. The same way you can't just beat Meta Knight with Marth every time by just using Dolphin Slash's frame 1 invincibility to punish everything Meta Knight does (hypothetically possible), you shouldn't be able to do these long cgs anymore.

In short, our response to the ICs issues is that we want to see a player who can exploit this hypothetical "brokenness", and until we do, we're calling it impossible.

chivesontheweb, you need to remove your SD card after you boot Balanced Brawl. If you don't do this, smash stack will cause lock-ups on the stage select screen. I added a note to our four step process to make this point ultra-clear.
Ok, fair enough, that probably deserves to be mentioned on the changes on the front page instead of just "harder".

How often do you need to exploit this window per second to make it work though?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We included the file patch code in the .txt, but due to the numerous security issues the code presents (loading subtly different from the original PSA characters with it), it's not in the precompiled .gct recommended for tournament play.

Regardless, Thinkaman promises he'll add a second download that includes this code, just for those who enjoy it and want to utilize it with as little effort as possible. We emphatically do NOT recommend using file replacement for serious play (tournaments/money matches), but it should suit the needs of a casual, friendly filled environment like a smashfest nicely.

As per ICs and the front-page, a full listing of exactly what changes they have is on the way (will definitely be there tonight). The full explanations for the changes require a lot of writing that is frankly not done yet and will probably not be done for weeks; we didn't want to delay this project for weeks over something like that.

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
I've actually come up with a workaround for this that could be used for casual play.

In the menu, have stage selection set to "Random" (you can pick the stages you want to possibly appear in vBrawl.) It never loads the stage selection screen and doesn't crash. It's a way to get out of bothering to keep loading and unloading the card. Not good for tournaments though.

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
Regardless, Thinkaman promises he'll add a second download that includes this code, just for those who enjoy it and want to utilize it with as little effort as possible. We emphatically do NOT recommend using file replacement for serious play (tournaments/money matches), but it should suit the needs of a casual, friendly filled environment like a smashfest nicely.
Thank you!

Also, good job being clear about your recommendations. I'll use both of them appropriately.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Crashing on stage select screen? Are you taking the SD card out? If the stage select screen tries to load the hacked stack smash stage, it will crash.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sure thing. I just took the downloads down, versions with disabled custom stages will be up in about 90 seconds.

EDIT: And done.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
...and the changelist is finally done. As soon as the files are available I will upload PAL stuff.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
So...If you can make this hacked version of Brawl that doesn't require Homebrew Channel, would it be possible to make texture hacks without homebrew? I have no idea how any of this stuff works, so sorry if this is a rediculous question.

Anyways, sounds cool, I will check it out tommorow when I have more time.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So...If you can make this hacked version of Brawl that doesn't require Homebrew Channel, would it be possible to make texture hacks without homebrew? I have no idea how any of this stuff works, so sorry if this is a rediculous question.

Anyways, sounds cool, I will check it out tommorow when I have more time.
Sure. I just finished uploading the NTSC-U versions with file replacement support.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b7f5632b084764d341446e35a78dc4631edf332c3cdfff37ce018c8114394287

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm still ticked that stamina and auto-switch are unchanged (thanks again, Steeler... :mad: ), but the double switch speed should help matters a little.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm still ticked that stamina and auto-switch are unchanged (thanks again, Steeler... :mad: ), but the double switch speed should help matters a little.
It really does help a ton. Also, the fact that you CAN'T stay as one Pokemon lets us have a little more leeway in terms of how good the Pokemon's individual matchups are. Squirtle and the new Ivysaur are so good that we might have had to nerf them to make some matchups fair... but if you can't play as them the entire match (only most of it), it evens out some.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Hmm... I AM using the Disable Custom Stages code, yet it still freezes at the SSS (if i don't take out my SD). :/
I fail. so. bad. :(

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I can confirm no lock ups, at least on my end, if anyone is worried.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll have a Brawl fest soon and try to get all my friends hooked on this. =3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom