• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AxisGaming Bay Area CA- $2,000 First Place!

SuperRad

Smash Master
can i get to this place through some kind of magical public transportation from san jose? i don't know bay area **** at all yet =/

or is anyone going from san jose that i could possibly get a ride from? i'll be at SJSU but i can take buses/walk places as needed. or i can take caltrain up the bay somewhere i guess.

really i know nothing but if you can explain to me how to get there i can figure it out.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Are you going to use that new no tripping hack at all. It'd be ridiculous to expect all the wiis to have it but it might be good to use it for the finals. Just a suggestion.

Axis

Smash Apprentice
I'll break down exactly why we have to make this change:

1: I know singles first is not the greatest, but if we were to do doubles first were probably going to have to cap the number of entrants for doubles (which as we always stated was a side event) and that would probably piss more people off in the long run...

2: The times of the event have not changed, so if you were planning on being there the whole time this really doesn't change anything. (we will have casual stations going so you can money match till you pass out)

3: I understand the concern that less people will participate in doubles, so we will add something extra to the prize pot to make up for it if that is the case, this way those who still want to participate in doubles will be able to do so and get something good out of it!

4: The whole point of this event is to show sponsors how a large tournament works. We don't have the resources to do a two day event yet, we want to make sure there are as many people there for the main event finals as possible, and If we can show them how big this is...will have the sponsors and resources to do a two day very soon.

and mike...dont break my heart :(

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
How come you can't show the sponsors how a large tournament works by putting doubles first? I can accept it, but I still don't understand how the change helps you. Are you worried people won't care about singles if it ends really late at night?

Axis

Smash Apprentice
How come you can't show the sponsors how a large tournament works by putting doubles first? I can accept it, but I still don't understand how the change helps you. Are you worried people won't care about singles if it ends really late at night?
There will be far fewer people there if singles end at or after midnight, plus the sponsors and other people covering/playing in the main event would like to be able to stay until the finals, but would have a harder time doing so if they had to be there at 1am to see them.

The end goal of these events is simple: To have the biggest yearly smash event around hosted in California. This means that I want to have a Giant 2-day Event with Melee singles, Doubles and Brawl Singles and Doubles...and maybe some 64 too. This change is in effort to reach that goal, so please bear with me.

SuperRad

Smash Master
While I understand what you are going for, you'd be surprised at how many people will hang around very late to see the finals in singles. I mean, unless things have changed in the past 8 months since my last tournament, most of the time the majority of people hang around to almost the very end anyways at tournaments.

The Game II

Smash Champion
While I understand what you are going for, you'd be surprised at how many people will hang around very late to see the finals in singles. I mean, unless things have changed in the past 8 months since my last tournament, most of the time the majority of people hang around to almost the very end anyways at tournaments.
It depends. There are times when people will opt to play Brawl friendlies instead of watch the finals, so it seems like people are there, but they're not really paying attention.

--GCII

Axis

Smash Apprentice
Its not just players, its the sponsors and people covering on the event who can't stay around that late.

And if people are going to stay until the very end anyways, the events are just flipped and nothing has really changed.

We will have casuals and other events going on for people who are eliminated from singles to entertain them (like our Captain Falcon Impersonation Contest!)

The Game II

Smash Champion
big pimpin Sheridan: I'm probably staying at my old house in Salinas cuz nobody's living there now. It's 99 percent finalized; thanks for the offer tho.

--GCII

Axis

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys,

Just a quick reminder...

Registration for SINGLES ends at 11am, you have a 3-hour window to register (not to mention the 2 months of pre-registration being available) and if you are late you will not get to play period.

If you are traveling any distance to the event I HIGHLY recommend pre-registering at AxisGaming.org it is the same price and takes only a few seconds. If you come in the night before and will be there early for casuals and morning stuff, you'll be fine paying at the door, just keep the option in mind.

Thanks,

-Travis :: AxisGaming

Axis

Smash Apprentice
So I'm not the only one that likes the change? That's a first.

Another shoutout to anyone has an extra VCR I could use to record matches. Please let me know.

--GCII
I can try and get a hold of one, plus youre more than welcome to run one of my computer capture stations!

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
Man I wish I could go...but I already made plans with my buds on the same day :(....oh well....let me know how things go guys :)

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Hi guys, I'm having a Melee tournament the day after Axis (08/31/08) and if anyone is up for it, please come! It's in Cupertino, CA (about 50 minutes south of Emmeryville) and I may be able to house a few people. So yeah... if you're staying after Axis, especially you OOS people, please come!

thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189519

(thanks Axis for letting me do this)

The Game II

Smash Champion
I can try and get a hold of one, plus youre more than welcome to run one of my computer capture stations!
Sounds great! What kind of program is on those stations? If it's not Pinnacle, Diamond, WinTV or ATi then I might need a quick lesson before using them.

--GCII

Top Bottom