• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Gamers: Stop Calling Yourselves Hardcore

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well, I have to say that it's almost like...that HUGE gap between Scrub and Pro-am. There's technically no name for it. I think that Reik probably had the best description. Noob->Scrub->Novice->Pro-am->Pro. It should be somewhere along those lines. Gamers can do it...because it'd be like having a Tier list....in essence. Casual->Intermediate->Proud->advanced->Hardcore->Dangerously obsessed. I...honestly think that they speak for themselves, but I guess I'll explain it: I went in depth before, so I'll try to be brief this time.

Casual- You play when you feel like it. You let the wind blow wherever you go. You could care less if you beat a game or not. You tend to buy games that you don't have to put much time into. You MIGHT be prone to long gaming sessions if something catches your eye. If that doesn't do it, then you game with your friends. At times....graphics are what matters to you. Still...you don't care what system it is...so long as you're playing.

Intermediate- You try to play more than a casual gamer would. If you buy a game, you're out to beat it, at the very least. It could take you a while to beat a game, but you make attempts. Problem is...you're just not that great at video games. You're happy with getting by with the bare minimum. You'd get a long game and a strategy guide. Graphics are more than likely important to you. You might even have a system that is from the previous generation.

Proud- You are a gamer that knows your stuff. You don't need a strategy guide. However, you might get one to ensure you don't miss anything. You play games to beat them and then go back for the goodies. You're proud of your accomplishments. You have a small competitive spirit with your friends and are always trying to gain cool accomplishments. You have your favorite system from back in the day and break it out every now and then. You want that balance between graphics and quality, but are willing to settle if one or the other exists. If someone gives you an emulator, you'd play it. You might not go out of your way for it, though.

Advanced- You are like the Proud gamer, but you aren't just satisfied with beat your game and going back. You spend your time and attempt to get everything the first time. You are into speed runs as well. At times, if you enjoy the game enough, you go out to break the game. You don't NEED a strategy guide because you're the guy everyone goes to for information. You might be that guy on GameFaqs that writes their own guide. You know how to have fun and be serious. You might even be that "Pro" gamer that everyone loves. You probably have a few old systems and still play the games. You know that it's not always graphics that make a game, but the quality of a game. You're also a fan of older games BECAUSE of how great a game's quality was. You'll find a game's emulator if you can't get it. At times, you may consider yourself hardcore.

Hardcore- You aren't just satisfied with playing any game you play, you want to break it. You have this NEED to find everything, and possibly hack the crap out of a game if at all possible. You'll play a game so long as it isn't COMPLETE crap, but you might play it just to say you have. You're "Pro", and aren't afraid to show AND tell people that. You might be cool, and at the same time...you might have an attitude that pisses people off. You're on a mission to have every system you played in case you lost it. You probably have emulators AND the system, just to say you have them. You spend a dangerously considerable amount of time playing games. YOU feel you are hardcore, and look down on others who might think they are. If they don't meet your standards, you don't recognize them.

Dangerously Obsessive- Your life is video games. You can't get enough of them. You spend countless amounts of money to get games and systems that are rare. You think you are a gaming guru and can be a critic of any game because you've pretty much played all of them. Your attitude towards gaming is as if it were the most important thing in the world. People are afraid to be around you. You've got every version of every game, and you wouldn't have it any other way. You know the history behind it, too. If you aren't playing games, you're talking about them. The only difference between you in a hardcore gamer is your dedication, in all reality.

That's....kind of like the gist of what I was thinking. What do you think...? It's just an idea...subject to change, obviously. I just figured that I could kick star this thing, and then as a community, we could fine tune it.

PS- I got carried away again, didn't I? xD

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
I'm hardcore. Used to have one of the, if not the biggest collections of games in New England. I have beaten the ---- out of many games, not just smash brawl, but melee, many games like zelda and oblivion, pokemon, etc. I go to tournaments religiously for smash, soul calibur 4, street fighter 4, and melee... Hardcore gamer FTW

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I'm hardcore. Used to have one of the, if not the biggest collections of games in New England. I have beaten the ---- out of many games, not just smash brawl, but melee, many games like zelda and oblivion, pokemon, etc. I go to tournaments religiously for smash, soul calibur 4, street fighter 4, and melee... Hardcore gamer FTW
Wait...are you actually agreeing with my list? O.o

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Hmm, Can't say I'm actually that amazing lol I'd say Competative at best. Hardcore makes us sound like it's all we do :(

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
lol, well according to the list...you'd probably fall under proud gamer. Maybe advanced. It means you're safe, xD. I wonder if we should start a thread discussion specifically for that...
Oh... Cool :) makes me Proud :D
haha I'd talk about it if there was such a thing

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Wow, if I keep getting postivie feedback, I'll see what I can do about discussion on this. I could probably take it to AiB as well. We would need to hit up...pretty much as many gaming communities as possible with approval on the list. Then after that...we'd submit it to gaming magazines. Something with that much attention is bound to be featured in an article. So with finetuning and discussion we could make this work.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I know a hardcore Psyconauts player, and yes they own it on every console it came out on.

I don't really fall in this list, I play games like a casual gamer when they catch my eye, I only play them as long as they interest me, but I normally play on the hardest/second hardest difficulty and do just fine.

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
If you play a game more than 2 hours a day, yes then you are hardcore. Like it or not, you are what you are... We don't need new terms for this.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
If you play a game more than 2 hours a day, yes then you are hardcore. Like it or not, you are what you are... We don't need new terms for this.
Society talking right there.

I already described this...making up excuses to make yourself not look as bad. BTW...if you average more than 1 post per day....you're a hardcore Smashboards poster. ZOMG...you fall under that category. See how stupid that sounds?

If you read a book more than 2 hours a day...are you a hardcore reader? If you play Basketball more than 2 hours a day...are you a "hardcore" B-ball player? I think people who do those things would say no. So why the HECK would it be any different for video games? It's a double standard, and it's just not right. People watch TV for more than 2 hours a day...even if it's just the news in the morning/evening. Possibly...ONE TV show they enjoy. Is that hardcore TV watching? No...that's considered to be normal, because they're being "informed". Informed about...90% garbage 5% tragedy you could have done without, 4% stockmarket or something related, and 1% actual useful news. If you want to be technical...anyone who can play a game for more than 30 minutes to an hour at a time is hardcore. ZOMG, that means MOST people are hardcore!!!! Hardcore doesn't come from time spent, it comes from attitude towards a game. If you feel that game is important and you'd sacrafice things needed to play it...then you're hardcore. If a videogame is SO important to you, that it's more than just a hobby...then you're hardcore.

I play videogames in spurts...I went over a year without playing. I'm talking...I thought I was gonna play...turned it on...and then read a book or something, instead. However, there could be a time when I play for a good amount of time per day. Why? Because I wanna beat a game. When we first got Brawl, my friend and I ran through SSE in a week. We used our downtime that would usually go to watching a movie, (We didn't have cable) to beat it. That was...roughly 5 days. (10 hours to be SSE...2 hours a night.) That my friend...is not hardcore. My MOTHER has spent more time playing Tetris at night than that. We went to work, we did whatever other responsibilities we had, and in our downtime we played. That's what we call casual gaming...probably intermediate since we WANTED to finish it. Hardcore gaming would have been: "We sacraficed sleep for work in order to beat SSE!!" We had other things to do...even on the weekends. so we took time we had...what was our RECREATION time, to handle that.

My friend...Hardcore gamers don't do that. Again...you're MAKING up rulesets that have no relevance to anything. Who said that it was hardcore? You? Do YOU alone make up what Hardcore is? How would you like it if...someone said if you watch any games of a team on TV, you're a hardcore fanatic of your team? How about if they said you watched more than just YOUR team on TV, then you're a Hardcore fanatic of that sport? Guess what...there'd be a WHOLE lot of people that are Hardcore fanatics, then. People watch the Superbowl whether it's their team or not. Some people don't even watch football until the playoffs or championship games. Some people watch because it's entertaining...and that's how they CHOOSE to spend their FREE time.

A hardcore gamer chooses to spend their free time and more playing videogames. They abandon friends and choose not to go out...just to play a videogame. They avoid anything that will distract them from a videogame. Hardcore gamers will at times not EAT...just to play a videogame. They have an ATTITUDE towards gaming that is dangerous to their own health. Be that physical or mental...it's still a danger. Children aren't hardcore gamers because they find it fun. When children start abandoning friends and not wanting to do things because they want to play a game...then parents should consider putting a STRONG cap on the time their children play. If not, taking the game away for a time.

Adults and teenagers make decisions for themselves. When they start abandoning responsibilities and those who love them for videogames, they've reached hardcore. When it comes down to being the fact that they don't do anything else...then it's hardcore. There are levels of things. It's not just- "you're hardcore core if you play X amount of hours...."

Oh and let me guess...you play less than two hours a day? Or is that how much you play a day? Are you setting yourself as a minimum for hardcore gaming? (Anything less than me isn't hardcore) Or are you setting yourself as a maximum for casual? (Anything more than this is Hardcore.)

Cheapless Jared

Smash Apprentice
Society talking right there.

I already described this...making up excuses to make yourself not look as bad. BTW...if you average more than 1 post per day....you're a hardcore Smashboards poster. ZOMG...you fall under that category. See how stupid that sounds?

If you read a book more than 2 hours a day...are you a hardcore reader? If you play Basketball more than 2 hours a day...are you a "hardcore" B-ball player? I think people who do those things would say no. So why the HECK would it be any different for video games? It's a double standard, and it's just not right. People watch TV for more than 2 hours a day...even if it's just the news in the morning/evening. Possibly...ONE TV show they enjoy. Is that hardcore TV watching? No...that's considered to be normal, because they're being "informed". Informed about...90% garbage 5% tragedy you could have done without, 4% stockmarket or something related, and 1% actual useful news. If you want to be technical...anyone who can play a game for more than 30 minutes to an hour at a time is hardcore. ZOMG, that means MOST people are hardcore!!!! Hardcore doesn't come from time spent, it comes from attitude towards a game. If you feel that game is important and you'd sacrafice things needed to play it...then you're hardcore. If a videogame is SO important to you, that it's more than just a hobby...then you're hardcore.

I play videogames in spurts...I went over a year without playing. I'm talking...I thought I was gonna play...turned it on...and then read a book or something, instead. However, there could be a time when I play for a good amount of time per day. Why? Because I wanna beat a game. When we first got Brawl, my friend and I ran through SSE in a week. We used our downtime that would usually go to watching a movie, (We didn't have cable) to beat it. That was...roughly 5 days. (10 hours to be SSE...2 hours a night.) That my friend...is not hardcore. My MOTHER has spent more time playing Tetris at night than that. We went to work, we did whatever other responsibilities we had, and in our downtime we played. That's what we call casual gaming...probably intermediate since we WANTED to finish it. Hardcore gaming would have been: "We sacraficed sleep for work in order to beat SSE!!" We had other things to do...even on the weekends. so we took time we had...what was our RECREATION time, to handle that.

My friend...Hardcore gamers don't do that. Again...you're MAKING up rulesets that have no relevance to anything. Who said that it was hardcore? You? Do YOU alone make up what Hardcore is? How would you like it if...someone said if you watch any games of a team on TV, you're a hardcore fanatic of your team? How about if they said you watched more than just YOUR team on TV, then you're a Hardcore fanatic of that sport? Guess what...there'd be a WHOLE lot of people that are Hardcore fanatics, then. People watch the Superbowl whether it's their team or not. Some people don't even watch football until the playoffs or championship games. Some people watch because it's entertaining...and that's how they CHOOSE to spend their FREE time.

A hardcore gamer chooses to spend their free time and more playing videogames. They abandon friends and choose not to go out...just to play a videogame. They avoid anything that will distract them from a videogame. Hardcore gamers will at times not EAT...just to play a videogame. They have an ATTITUDE towards gaming that is dangerous to their own health. Be that physical or mental...it's still a danger. Children aren't hardcore gamers because they find it fun. When children start abandoning friends and not wanting to do things because they want to play a game...then parents should consider putting a STRONG cap on the time their children play. If not, taking the game away for a time.

Adults and teenagers make decisions for themselves. When they start abandoning responsibilities and those who love them for videogames, they've reached hardcore. When it comes down to being the fact that they don't do anything else...then it's hardcore. There are levels of things. It's not just- "you're hardcore core if you play X amount of hours...."

Oh and let me guess...you play less than two hours a day? Or is that how much you play a day? Are you setting yourself as a minimum for hardcore gaming? (Anything less than me is hardcore) Or are you setting yourself as a maximum for casual? (Anything more than this is Hardcore.)

You should become a debater. I think you already are one.

I totally agree, if someone does something at a small time, they think they rock at it. Personally, I suck at Mario bros. I'm not calling myself hardcore though.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I consider myself a "hardcore" gamer... whats wrong with that?
Some people really are "Hardcore" gamers....but then there are others that aren't. Some really aren't..and get classified as such by society. If you WANT to be hardcore...then so be it. It's more of a mentality thing, than anything. however....we're stating that there should be a true distinction, because not ALL of the tagged "Hardcore Gamers" even fit the bill.

tmntrules2003

Smash Cadet
i mean ive been playin video games since i was 4 i beat super mario world when i was like 5 and link to the past when i was 5 as well but i still dont concider myself a "hardcore gamer" i mean i may be considered among some of my friends as an above average gamer but not a hardcore gamer by any means.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess I can't call my self a casual gamer OR a hardcore gamer. I guess I'm in between.
I don't play video games all the time I just balance it out.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
You really want a new name?

Hard core is obviously bad and I know it but I'm by no means a casual gamer.

I suppose my friends and I have begun to call each other dedicated gamers.

Dedicated gamers has that nice little ring to it and it implies nearly the same thing.

The only difference is it interferes loyalty to gaming rather than the "out of the mainstream" that hard core implies. I suppose you can call yourself a Loyalist gamer but that just sounds stupid.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
"Hardcore" is a easier way to say "they play the game a lot and master everything and know everything in it."

I don't see the big deal, a hardcore gamer to me is someone who knows almost all if not all that is known about the game and has played countless hours of it. Or someone that notices all the little details in the games, rather than just play them to play them.

Sms_MissileArsenal

Smash Apprentice
calling yourself hardcore makes you sound like someone who cant take a loss so you throw the controller in a BF and then cuzz your away out the door.
/shrug

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
well iv maxed out the game timer on my brawl disc lmfao but yea i would say im a hardcore/dedicated since when i dont have interent i do something else lol.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Hardcore has gotten only worse in the eyes of society over the years. Those who don't fall under the definition of what Hardcore has become, (Dangerously over obsessive) are being looked at in a bad light. This is why it's being debated, I guess. This isn't a discussion that's gotten out of hand, either, thankfully.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
Hard-core applies to sex.

That's it.
I lol'd.

Any person who considers themselves a hardcore gamer that I've run into
always says dumb stuff to me if I beat them at any of their games.
Like they'll tell me if i'm doing something wrong or I'm not using the right 'technique'.
It's lame.
People that play games are gamers, people that play a lot of games....
Are gamers.
:)

A

Anuj Sharma

pet portraits

You may under no circumstances redistribute or sell this content at any time, and it is illegal to duplicate, download, or distribute any Materials from Vintage Pet Portraits except for your use, which is subject to the Usage Guidelines.
# The design and layout, as well as all Materials provided on the Site, or of any other website owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by or associated with Vintage pet portraits, is protected by the United States and International law and other intellectual property proprietary rights and may not be copied or imitate in whole or in part.

Thanks
JSR Solution

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
I can understand why people would call themselves "hardcore" though...

Let's face it; it's easy to compliment yourself, no? In my introduction thread, I called myself "DAH PIKACHU FAN" or something like that, with all my Pikachu plushies, posters, pillows, etc., but I'm pretty sure that there's other Pikachu fans out there, you know?

Same with...yes, I'm going to say it...Pok'e Mon itself. Almost anybody calls themself a hardcore fan of that game series, espcially those who have memorized all the names, when they evolve, how they evolve, where to get them, and (oh gawd, I don't now how they do THIS, but...) their Pok'e Dex Identification Numbers.

Should "hardcore" be used for ANYTHING these days?! o>.<o

ISMFOF

Smash Cadet
(from the topic post) "Still, does anyone else feel awkward and out of place with our own media referring to us as “hardcore” simply as a way to say “not casual?”"

this actually does make sense because on dictionary.com the definition for hardcore means "unswervingly committed; uncompromising; dedicated: a hard-core segregationist."
so hard core just means we are dedicated to games, so it doesnt feel awkward to me.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
I never used the term to describe myself, as I am about as hardcore as a marshmallow with a happy face drawn on it...

*Two cents deposited, onto next topic

arch knight

Smash Lord
Ive never really labeled myself as anything more that "ok"

but lately ive somehow been boosted up to "BEAST" or "wonderfully good" as a fighter or gamer.

Top Bottom