• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Gamers: Stop Calling Yourselves Hardcore

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
We need a new word.

“Nintendo is forsaking the hardcore gamer.” We’ve all heard it. If you’re reading this blog, you’ve probably said it. After this year’s E3, we all felt it.

But please, stop calling me a hardcore gamer. Yes, I go to tournaments. I play games for money. I peruse fansites and I own an embarrassing number of Mario tshirts. I stood in line for a Wii at launch. It was cold. Still, <strong>does anyone else feel awkward and out of place with our own media referring to us as “hardcore” simply as a way to say “not casual?”</strong>

What people want hardcore to mean: “people (mostly 18-24) who play high quality, high production-value games.” The term connotes the fickle and enthusiastic nature of a connoisseur. Good graphics, good gameplay, <em>and</em> innovative ideas. What a game sacrifices in visuals it must make up for in <a href="http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html">design</a>. In this sense, hardcore means “difficult to please,”but is also synonymous with “dedicated fanbase.”

<strong>What hardcore actually means: a group far removed from mainstream.</strong> Hardcore music is hard to listen to. Hardcore skydivers are few. The term elicits grittiness, danger and exclusiveness, something most people enjoy watching (maybe) but dare not participate in. A hardcore gamer, by this definition, isn’t someone who enjoys playing games <em>other</em> than Nintendogs. A hardcore gamer is the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrpGuDD0_Y">dedicated DDR sprinter</a>, the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmLKxY5GDA">competitive Tetris architect</A>, and the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAXg3Fpewg">professional Starcraft general</a>. Throw in modding communities, tournament communities, hello kitty communities, and anyone who has ever cosplayed.

Smashers too. I recently chatted with <a href="http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Wobbles_the_Phoenix">Wobbles</a>, and he shared with me his training regimen for the next few weeks: memorize frame rates, analyze hitboxes, and compare them in every potential character matchup. That’s a bit more hardcore than my training regimen: play Melee with friends and try to not suck.

You know, maybe we don’t need a word at all. People who choose Metroid Prime over Cooking Mama aren’t hardcore gamers. They’re just gamers. Casual gamers, gamers, and hardcore gamers. Simple as that.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I swear you stole this from my thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106325

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Well now I feel kinda bad, despite not having been in the debate hall in quite some time :p

I’m glad you already addressed it. I’ll link to it from the post.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let’s not forget what Iwata told us last E3. Hopefully there will no longer be casual gamers and hardcore gamers, but just GAMERS!

A

Animal 214

i agree dont call me a hardcore gamer smash nd like sport video games is the only games i play im not a hardcore gamer so dont call me it ima filthy smash playercuz im in2 it nd wanna get better at the game call me a knowledgbale player i know alot about the game dont call me a nerd cuz im not far from it its fun hustlin noobs who think there good 4 money i do it 4 fun we need a new word

R

Rhyme

Animal, please don’t speak that way. It’s irritating and complicated to understand.

Everyone, never called myself a hardcore gamer, I prefer “competitive” over “hardcore”. Use whatever word you want, just throwing my two cents in.

H

homelessvagrant

Yeah, I’ve never liked the word hardcore in subjunction with videogames. It makes you sound extremely nerdy to say. I’d rather just say I’m a gamer cuss how is playing a an anthromorphic fox pummeling a yellow rat with a flower stick hardcore?

M

mmmmm fudge

i dont care i only play smash and guitar hero, its wierd, people call me a hardcore gamer when i play guitar hero but not when i play smash¿

J

Jammin

Hardcore is okay with me but I think I’m going to consider myself a softcore censored no money shot smasher until that “click” happens and I get super good.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Can we think of a word other than “hardcore gamers”=??? Why not “dedicated gamers” or something. I’d be a dedicated gamer for sure=played a lot of games. [a lot] Harcore always kinda bugged me, glad I’m not the only one who was sorta bugged by it.

H

homelessvagrant

what about mainstream gamers, I heard of that a few times.

H

homelessvagrant

homelessvagrant Says:

Dk’s final smash? Let him pop out a set of bongos and rock the socks off any of the nearby players!

This is a comment I made on July 13th, 2007 at 1:25 am for the DK improvement blog. Check out Todays blog to understand where I’m going with this

(will post again when Blog on DK’s final smash is made).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I am a dedcated gamer or mainstream gamer, or watever you wanna call it. Anything but hardcore, it makes it sound like you’re a poser who wants to be in a band [but sucks]! XD

Dedicated Gamers FTW! Hardcore gamers phail!

HGZero

Smash Apprentice
This is an intresting concept because many consider smash not to be a "Hard Core" fighter. So what do we then call those who go against the popular oppinion? Deviants? Most go by the name 'Smasher' and those who feel they have reached a certian level of proficincy dub themselves hardcore, pro, or any other lable to place themselves near the top.

There is no point scale to decide between one level of smashing and the other. You can't take a Cosmo poll, score a 46 out of 50, and realize you're 'hardcore'. Some think that tournament rankings could clear this up, but sometimes skill isn't nessiarily the measure of dedication. An unskilled player can eat and breath smash and be more dedicated than the player who beats him with out praticing a fraction of the time.

What we do have to claim as our own are the C-Stickers, Teir Whores, Campers, Elietist, L-Cancelrs, Spamers, and Tourny Pros. They are all apart of the smash community and each play the game in their own way. There are many smashers that fall inbetween these clasifications but everyone is apart of a community. So where does that leave us? There is a group of people set above the rest. They range in skill but all have one thing in common.

They are leaders. The tournament organizers who continualy made it possible for smash to be compeditive, the players who discovered new techniques and tricks, the smashers who expose the finer points of smash to the rest of us. They are set apart from the rest of the comunity and, to me atleast, are what would be defined as 'Hardcore'. They make it possible for us to advance in smash technique and competition. If we had to replace the word 'hardcore' with another word then 'Leaders' would get my vote.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Hey good point Scavenger. Its like saying that people who play sports often are hardcore. Those that label are those that don't understand, simply put.

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
lol I find people who make those unfair connotations rather amusing. Good point scavenger, and hey we have the same training regiment lol.

True Fool

Smash Ace
You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore.

I am not hardcore. One may consider calling me a pansy.

DanteSmash7

Smash Apprentice
Hardcore, gamer doesnt bother me. Everyone will fall under a label that is American society. Worst case senario someone comes up to you and is like "DUDE YOU ARE HARDCORE" and you can replay " Yeah, I kick *** in games, but at this time I am not mentoring anyone".

To each his own.

jimmy4265

Smash Rookie
I dont necessarily have a problem with being called "hardcore", but I have a problem with people who call themselves hardcore.

Yes, I waited in line for a wii. Yes, I know the release dates of every decent wii game. Yes, I have spent way to much time playing Brawl in the past few days. But does that make me hardcore? I'm not sure.

Infact, I'm fairly certain that there are many, many people who are more devoted to gaming than I am, but isn't that what nintendo is striving for? That uncertanty of who is more "hardcore", "professional", whatever through creating the wii, a system designed for everyone?

the wii is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the "hardcore" gaming scene. Why? because it has blurred that line between the hardcore and the softcore. And sure, perhaps the "real" gamers have sticked to the xbox 360 *rolls eyes*, but doesnt the fact that we are discussing this topic make us on a level of sophistication that is higher than those who merely claim to be hardcore?

sorry, kinda went off topic.

hyruleboy

Smash Apprentice
I am a MOTHER fan.
I fit the hardcore gamer bill for my love of the obscure, giant, beautiful gem that it is.
Hopefully it becomes less hardcore and all three of them come out in America.
IT MUST HAPPEN.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I am a MOTHER fan.
I fit the hardcore gamer bill for my love of the obscure, giant, beautiful gem that it is.
Hopefully it becomes less hardcore and all three of them come out in America.
IT MUST HAPPEN.
One can dream... you could always emulate them, however I doubt they will ever be released in the US

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
While I do not exactly liked being called "hardcore" something should be used to differentiate "us" (Smashers, any Pokemon player that knows what STAB is, Rainbow Sixers etc etc.) from "them" (Bejeweled, Cooking Mama, Wiisports). I don't think anything is wrong with that, people don't memorize frame rates for Wiibowling.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
i think the tag "hardcore" is simply blown out of proportion. because the label is usually thrown out (in my experience) like when i play guitar hero. someone, who doesn't game hardly at all if any will say it simply from being in awe at the sight of such a skilled gamer. usually i find that its used by someone unskilled or unknowledgeable in the field, commenting on someone who is. I personally don't mind the tag "hardcore" cuz the way i live and do everything is "hardcore" i give 150% in everything would rather chop my hand off, then lose at anything and never quit. so when someone comes up and labels me hardcore i just smile at them and say thanks. i think the label hardcore can only be determined by the person themselves. you know whether or not you are dedicated enough and try hard enough, so you be the judge, and if someone falsely labels you, just remember, that they likely don't know what they are talking about.

Commander Jesus

Smash Cadet
Hardcore is a word newbs use to make themselves sound better. Nobody who can ever be called hardcore will ever call themselves hardcore...if you know what i mean.

SnoW86

Smash Rookie
Hardcore just gets mislabeled on most gamers, especially Smashers. Any tournament related game has usually meritted the "competitive" gamer in my experience.

Top Bottom