• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At long last, Presenting GSH2, a Brawl+ Nightly Test Set and Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Is there a reason why Lucario doesnt go into special freefall after upb, but then when he hits a wall he does?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Stream doesn't work on the Wii internet channel.

...I think I'm gonna go play Megaman 9 now.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Which code(s) handle frame speed changes and ALR? I can't figure out why Ganon's jab is slow but my ALR is working fine.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ALR is built into the .pac

frame speed is handled by the Animation Engine code.

It seems your .gct is corrupted.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
I noticed Ike's FSmash's animation is somewhat distorted. The charging is okay, but when he swings, he seems to hold his sword sideways. Am I the only one with this? I checked the pac and it seems fine so does anyone know what it is?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
We were on till like, 3am or something ridiculous haha.

btw, MyLifeIsAnRPG is ****ing hilarious.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
Awww, thanks for the compliments guys. I feel loved in a totally non-homosexual way.

Now if only I could get Kaotical to write that Gambit/Crono Slash Fic.

I'm gonna do my best to get down to Hackfest, maybe make some **** jokes with you guys face to face. I had other plans for that time, was getting together with some friends from out of state. I'd pretty much have to convince them to come down. They are smash fanatics but they definitley aren't pro level so it might be a hard sell.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Players of all levels are welcome at Hackfest. It'll be a pretty relaxed atmosphere and there will be setups for friendlies. It would be cool to see you down here. Plus you'll get to meet some of the best B+ players on the East Coast.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
GUYS! I FINALLY GOT SOME REPLAYS FROM TODAYS TOURNAMENT! Unfortunately though, to watch them, you'll have to download the Repay files and watch them on your own Wiis.

Another thing. Fow did not attend today's tournament.

Also note, one of these four videos is not a tournament video, I just can't tell which one because Replays are saved with odd names. =/

But yeah, so I only got three replays pretty much.

One of me vs SK92 in Winner's Finals. It's me, RPGsFTW (Wolf) vs SK92 (Falco). Also note, the ugly textures are from someone else's sd card. Only got one video of us playing got saved. Funnily enough, it was the one match I won, haha. I think he 3-1'd me. I got 3rd today, by the way. I've been getting 3rd for awhile. At least I'm consistent, haha.

The other two, that aren't that mystery video, are of the Grand Finals. SK92 (Falco) vs Mi (Snake). SK 3-0'd Mi, but the last match didn't get recorded.

Now you guys can see how ridiculous SK's Falco is in B+.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnhmfmjjijz
http://www.mediafire.com/?hmmmimfjcni
http://www.mediafire.com/?titxmlun0ly
http://www.mediafire.com/?fzlmmmmywmm

I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY! *coughNekocough*

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Uh, RPG - Textures aren't saved in replays. Only what color you use. :p
Well that's good then. I forgot about that, haha. I hated the textures on that SD card.

Hope you guys watch and enjoy the vids. I'll try to get more replays next Sunday!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok so I finally got some good hands on with this today

Now I havne't played + in a while so I forget a lot of little things that I probably didn't notice was changed

but could someone tell me if ROB's dthrow was changed? idk, something seems odd about it

also.... wtf at gdorf's dthrow. seriously. can this be made back to normal again before this set becomes the next standard? These are THROWS, and there shouldn't be any need to copy his overB or GaWs dthrow. What was wrong with his old dthrow - someone tell me plz

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Ganon's new Dthrow forces him to use Uthrow as his combo throw.

From what I see, the idea is to increase the options he has available for his tech chasing game. Side B has mobility and grab range where as Dthrow has safety over Side B; can be used from shield and harder to punish a whiffed grab.

His old Dthrow was **** good. He had potential CG's and it just refused to stop comboing. An interesting way to rework the throw. Kind of weird at first but I have to admit it compliments Ganon's playstyle well.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
agreed

essentially the goal is to remove as many chaingrabs from the game as possible. Although other routes could have been taken, such as the dthrow sending the opponent out farther (like vbrawl mk maybe), cape chose to have the opponent put into a tech position to compliment the tech chase game his side b offers. Although ganon's grab range isn't that great so most getup attacks will push ganon too far away defeating the purpose.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
agreed

essentially the goal is to remove as many chaingrabs from the game as possible.
What's wrong with Chaingrabs that require prediction/DI reading/good reaction that are also character % specific and only work for a small amount of percents?

ie

Chaingrabs that require skill and aren't automatic.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
i agree with neko here. there's nothing wrong with character-specific chaingrabs so long as they must require reading of an opponent and don't go past a very specific range of percents, and certainly not killing percents. grab > kill moves i don't entirely support, but dmg racking situations such as this shouldn't be taken out entirely if they require just as much prediction.

that isn't to say i'd like to see this everywhere, since heavies and FFers are hurt most by these antics and the act itself requires less button presses than actual combos, but they're fine with me if they can aide in depolarizing some matchups, like falco vs. ganon, or any projectile user vs. Ike. this is just another balancing tool that also acts as a unique skill to learn ingame.

also keep in mind that, while an audience despises chaingrabs that **** on balance like ganon vs. sheik, people love a skillful chaingrab that balances a matchup, sort of kinda (in a sense) like marth's on FFers, or even one that's just fun to look at such as ICer's which B+ has right now (that vid of them made em look pretty **** good). not only are chaingrabs tools for balance and a special skill for players to develop, but they're crowd pleasers and we can't forget the audience.

speaking of crowd-pleasing, when'll that camcode be fixed?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea lol whats wrong with some CGs

was gdorf too good? the guy deserves a grab like that lol. why would anyone decide to make him worse than he is

and lol, forces him to use uthrow to combo? uhhh... then ppl should just use uthrow. their choice for options

seriously, so much work has been put into gdorf to make him able to compete, and hes been doing good, then for some reason ppl decide to nerf him? wtf is wrong with ppl.

his dthrow wasnt broken. it had a lot of awesome options, but that was good

*sigh* why do people feel the need to fix whats not broken.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
Individual character pacs have camera values, if I heard correctly.

Its just that no one has gotten around to editing them.
if modifying them can create the same effect the camcode did, sans the rocketship, then i'd have to suggest this to be one of the top priorities.

balance is wonderful, techniques bring complexity, physics change tempo, but these all pertain to one side of gameplay that has been given the spotlight for a long time in this game's development, and for good reason. after all, this was the core to what brawl+'s goal was: modifying gameplay to fit the needs of a competitive, invigorating, and creative experience that rewards the better player. this was key.

but what about presentation? gameplay does aide in this a great deal, but, no matter the competitive nature, no matter the balance, of a game, if an audience cannot be rallied into cheering or noticing the skill of a match, then the game will exist only for the diehard fans. presentation is directly proportional to growth.

i'm not saying add meters or incredible hitlag or flashing characters all over the place, because smash has always been subtle in its presentation save for a few elements: the most powerful of attacks, be it in animation or immediacy, the flow of what the gameplay amounts to, the fighters, a big pull for smash, and the camera, the window for speculators and players alike to process what's happening ingame.
(edit: there's also the effects between characters and stages, such as the blue/orange/purple flames on chars that linger after hits, the sfx of attacks and chars which we have but i'll assume can't be added in yet, and the graphics of attacks on hit which many would argue were superior in 64 and melee for their somewhat cartoony but more explosive natures. this post is more about what's possible right now, though.)

i'm afraid i personally am useless in this regard. i cannot alter these pacs myself. all i can say is that matching the tempo of gameplay and the speed at which the camera follows it should be one of the more important 'things to do' right now. take a look at melee's camera. take a look at 64's. take a look at brawl's. notice the speed at which they follow the game.

brawl+, as another smash game, needs its own personalized camera, not brawls, so people can quickly recognize what it is: a new, faster game.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
The normal blocks in Green Greens are fine imo, but the exploding blocks need to go.
If it were always safe to just destroy the wall (so as to avoid having to appoach from above), camping wouldn't be so great there.

Edit: Been meaning to ask this for a while now.
I never really used the Ice Climbers in vBrawl, but something seems really off about them in this version.
Does the second climber behave differently? It'll fail to join my upspecial (we both do the silly little hop) when we're right next to each other, walk away from me when I try to walk closer to it, etc.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Nana still hasn't been affected by all the B+ changes iirc.

I wasn't around for the camcode, so I've no idea what it did.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
Nana still hasn't been affected by all the B+ changes iirc.

I wasn't around for the camcode, so I've no idea what it did.
there's a very noticeable difference between each smash installment's camera.

haven't found a camera demo for 64, but here's a good match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEec8yifjDw

here's the difference between brawl and melee cameras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIwx5AWgF4&feature=related
and, i guess, a match for gameplay demonstrations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UOLucBRyQg

now, here's the camcode that kupo was working on (note that he was trying to replicate melee's cam more than anything else though, which i don't particularly wish to have 100% since this is a different game; if a medium can't be found, though, it's a great cam to work with):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMCA3w8UdI
and the cam in action (also note that the sound defect in the first vid actually happens once in awhile in the game, which many didn't like and was considered a nasty drawback):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA4JkHANGmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0eayuR8bw

you don't really have to watch them all, but this would bring you up to speed, in a sense. if it is possible to edit the camera, it should certainly be a priority.

the only problem i could foresee would be the graphical upgrade between melee and brawl interfering with how responsive the cam could be without making you woozy; camera control is a difficult balancing act.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
why doesnt our good chap camelot release the values willy-nilly instead of sir shanus tempting us to disturb the peace of the individual and pester him annoyingly?

:012:

shanus

Smash Hero
why doesnt our good chap camelot release the values willy-nilly instead of sir shanus tempting us to disturb the peace of the individual and pester him annoyingly?
i have them somewhere, i'll post them later today

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i assume it was because ganon had some 0-80 chaingrab on a fastfaller somewhere. I never really stated what my opinion was, rather what i assumed what cape's intent was. Personally i wouldn't mind chaingrabs from maybe 0-30 on fastfallers with the person getting grabbed having the ability to di, forcing the grabber to commit to a direction by running after you (chaingrabs where the opponent can stand in place and chaingrab are too good).

Revven

FrankerZ
wait... whats wrong with the camera?
It doesn't keep track real well of the fast pace that is Brawl+.

You know what? I'll let Kupo's video show you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIwx5AWgF4

It basically doesn't zoom out enough at all so you can see where you're going. It's also really slow at zooming in and among other things. It may not affect gameplay greatly, it's more or less a cosmetic change that makes the game more refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom