• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ASL] Iron Brawl II Results - Tuscaloosa, AL - November 12, 2011

*Cam*

Smash Lord
you don't understand, DRN shouldn't have been a 2nd seed at all. He's ranked higher than me, michael, and 4god in GA AND he outplaced michael and 4god at AUSOM therefore should have been seeded higher than both 4god and michael for pools who were both first seeds, but he wasn't.
To be honest, we hadn't even thought of using the results from AUSOM 4 to seed this tournament. If we use these results to seed the next tournament, doesn't that mean DRN will get a bad seed though?

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah, but you should be using like common sense and compensating for it and stuff.

Like no offense to spade or rag as they're both good, but DRN is clearly better than both.

That's kind of like what I was talking about for bracket, the bracket (for the most part) was fine (DRN still shouldn't have been so close to reflex in the first place since if DRN had won then he would have played reflex who he had played in pools). It was clear that the seeding based off of pools was fine and all that, but it was clear that DRN was screwed over in pools to begin with which affected bracket so it should have been compensated for.

Just like next tournament, DRN kind of got screwed over here as well so next tournament should compensate for it also and still give him a high seed. There's not much use talking about what should happen in the future so specifically though since a lot of it is a case by case basis so circumstances might be different next tournament and may need adjusting based upon a lot of factors (like amount of entrants and how many pools can be made), but, like I said, there's no use trying to look into it so specifically now. Me and Michael can look over the bracket/pools and double check everything and stuff so I'm pretty confident that with both AL and GA looking over it that it'll be better next time. At any tournament I run, I always try to get a representative from any state that's there to help me make bracket/pools since they're more familiar with their region than I am.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Well, we had a representative from GA and from AL seeding the brackets at this tournament: Kismet and Reflex.

EDIT: Like I told you on Facebook though, we will just get more oversight next time so we can catch things like this.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
...What?
What does legitimacy have to do with traveling out of state...?
What does your opinion of yourself have to do with Alabama being a legitimate state?

I just don't understand things.
Pcola is so in here haha!
Looked like a good tourney.
next asl tourney in mobile right>

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
...What?
What does legitimacy have to do with traveling out of state...?
What does your opinion of yourself have to do with Alabama being a legitimate state?

I just don't understand things.
because traveling out of state will get you better. look how awesome GA folks are at this game. different states equals more experiance and more knowledge about the game in general which leads to being a better player. the more people you play with different playstyles the more exposed you will be to the many many options that brawl has to offer.

how are you power ranked and dont understand things like this. there is more to this game then trying to grab/ice block/go defensive. idk man **** you just dissapoint me dude but whatever youre still gonna beat me every time we play lol so whatever keep doign hat youre doing it works.

im saying my opnion might not matter because i am not a pro player or anything. thats what i have to do with the previous post i made. i was just talking about my opnion being invalid lol theres not much that i can bring to the table except for words and a poor performance so i dont expect to be taken too seriously and i expect to be proven wrong alot of the time.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
Melee went fine.

Shoutouts to all the new people i met, and a couple of old and familiar faces.

Most of you new kids are beasting, but don't stop there. Remember, every time you lose a match, you did something wrong. There is no easy way of saying this, this is how competition works, you overcome your own flaws before you can exploit others.

My biggest advice to you is to never go into autopilot while you're playing. Every time you get killed, ask yourself why it happened, and what you can do to prevent a similar scenario.

I pretty much ***** everyone but Ragnarok, and if all goes well, that sentence will be void of exceptions by the end of January ;)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I had a dissertation written up about how Slam takes assumptions that he believes is right when it is not and makes assumptions based off of it and won't back down when presented with corrected information, but then I realized I could say it simply like this because addressing the specific issues I have in this thread would only piss me off.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
What does the word correct even mean
what are words?
Who is to say which information is right and wrong
what is right
wrong?
What is information
who am i?
Who are you?
What is this screen

/IWINARGUMENT!!

but what am i assuming here? the only thing i can say for certain that i wouldnt back down off of was the mk ban. im pretty open minded when it comes to everything else. even though it may not seem like it. but yeah. still disagree with the ban just in case anyone was curious loool

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
because traveling out of state will get you better. look how awesome GA folks are at this game. different states equals more experiance and more knowledge about the game in general which leads to being a better player. the more people you play with different playstyles the more exposed you will be to the many many options that brawl has to offer.

how are you power ranked and dont understand things like this. there is more to this game then trying to grab/ice block/go defensive. idk man **** you just dissapoint me dude but whatever youre still gonna beat me every time we play lol so whatever keep doign hat youre doing it works.

im saying my opnion might not matter because i am not a pro player or anything. thats what i have to do with the previous post i made. i was just talking about my opnion being invalid lol theres not much that i can bring to the table except for words and a poor performance so i dont expect to be taken too seriously and i expect to be proven wrong alot of the time.
You misunderstood me.

What does LEGITIMACY have to do with traveling out of state? A state's SKILL is increased by being exposed to other play styles.

All a state has to do to be legitimate is host a tourney, IMO.
It's a matter of semantics, but I really despise words being used incorrectly.

As for what you assumed:
"how are you power ranked and dont understand things like this."
"there is more to this game then trying to grab/ice block/go defensive."
"youre still gonna beat me every time we play lol"
"theres not much that i can bring to the table except for words and a poor performance so i dont expect to be taken too seriously and i expect to be proven wrong alot of the time."

The first three are assumptions about me, to be more specific, that I don't understand what you were talking about, that I only grab/ice block/go defensive, and that I'll win every time we play. The final one is just wrong.
Confidence is seriously a contributing factor to performance.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
What's the issue?
Looking back, I don't think there's an issue. I say Just beat the person put in front you. if you cant, get better. don't come down on the TO's, it is incredibly hard and frustrating to run a tournament and mistakes happen. (not that there were legit mistakes here).

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Looking back, I don't think there's an issue. I say Just beat the person put in front you. if you cant, get better. don't come down on the TO's, it is incredibly hard and frustrating to run a tournament and mistakes happen. (not that there were legit mistakes here).
Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, what ON EARTH are some of you people *****ing about? This is a tourny thread. Talk about the tourny.

Shoutouts to the bama crew, especially my boy JMIX for doing so well in melee. Also, the whole melee crowd was pretty damn awesome. Can't wait to play you guys again sometime soon.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Who had the wii over by the piano? I left my black GC memory card in there.
I'll make an announcement this thursday night to see if it belongs to one of the tuscaloosa crew

EDIT: misread as "memory card in black wii." But yeah, regardless, I'll see who had the wii setup over there

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Who had the wii over by the piano? I left my black GC memory card in there.
I'm pretty sure this is Cam?....Also,

MICAELIS: I BACKED UP EVERY SINGLE SD CARD THAT HAD ANY DATA ON IT BEFORE FORMATTING to ensure that what you are *****ing about would be resolved. Also, I'm trying my best to come up with a legit way to manage SD cards and replays at future AL tourneys.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments Ryker haha.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
MICAELIS: I BACKED UP EVERY SINGLE SD CARD THAT HAD ANY DATA ON IT BEFORE FORMATTING to ensure that what you are *****ing about would be resolved. Also, I'm trying my best to come up with a legit way to manage SD cards and replays at future AL tourneys.
So? Did I get my files back before I left the tournament? Did I NOT find my SD card laying on the ground by the TO table at AUSOM?

My "*****ing" still stands. Regardless of what you did, the end result wasn't very professional. However, Cam has rectified the problem and graciously come up with a solution so all is well in the world. Thank you Cam.

Sorry if I felt like I had a reason to be angry considering how valuable my SD card is to me and the way it was treated. Also, I don't need you to tell me when I'm "*****ing".

P.S. - You guys should update the ASL Site so I can do shoutouts on there. This results thread is a horrible representation of a very fun tournament so I don't want to do them here. Please :) also, you should make a complaints/suggestion area to the website or something so things like this don't happen again. People can complain on the complaints page. Simple webform or some such thing. Good suggestion +1!

*Cam*

Smash Lord
So? Did I get my files back before I left the tournament? Did I NOT find my SD card laying on the ground by the TO table at AUSOM?

My "*****ing" still stands. Regardless of what you did, the end result wasn't very professional. However, Cam has rectified the problem and graciously come up with a solution so all is well in the world. Thank you Cam.

Sorry if I felt like I had a reason to be angry considering how valuable my SD card is to me and the way it was treated. Also, I don't need you to tell me when I'm "*****ing".

P.S. - You guys should update the ASL Site so I can do shoutouts on there. This results thread is a horrible representation of a very fun tournament so I don't want to do them here. Please :) also, you should make a complaints area to the website or something so things like this don't happen again. People can complain on the complaints page. Simple webform or some such thing. Good suggestion +1!
Spade handled the sd cards very well, actually. He backed up everyone's files without me asking him to. The only problem was miscommunication. I didn't know you had files to put back on it, so I didn't hold it from you. Spade obviously did know, but he wasn't the one handing back sd cards at the end of the day, I was. I should have asked each person.

As far as AUSOM goes, I can only guess the sd card accidentally fell off the table and no one noticed. I understand your frustration, and who you give your sd cards to is your prerogative, but we aren't unprofessional because someone accidentally knocked an sd card off a table. Accidents happen.

I can't update the site. I used a program on my iMac called Adobe Dreamweaver which was stolen. I'm still working on a permanent solution for updating it. I may go to the library and do an update on Friday.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
*NOTE* not gonna ***** because of my tourney result and has nothing to do with it..

Although i understand that the tourney wansnt going according to planned, but seriously. if you have people driving 5 hours to get to a tourney and they have a fixed time limit to where they have to be back, dont delay the tourney 4 hours to start, thus forcing them to drive home at 1AM.

seeding for pools the last 2 ASL tournies havnt been the greatest. There is always a stacked pool and a free pool. NOT singling people out so ill end it right here..

the saying that chas was seeded correctly might not be very true. second seed should be with second seed in the bracket. Billy took first seed in my pool and was placed against chas early on in the bracket maybe i missed something. idk.

^^ aside from all of the bracket stuff which i care less about thn the actual problem that affected me the most and any future out of state attendance, PLEASE if you say that you are going to run doubles at X time and start singles at X time, RUN THEM AT THAT TIME!

I personally showed up solely because of doubles and was hesitant to even come at all because i work an opening shift on Sunday.. Expecting to leave fairly early so i could get some rest before i had to go in for work, i get home at 5AM and did not play in the tourney i drove 5hours to play in.

Off of the bashing of the tourney and how i think it wasnt run as well as it should have been:

I did have fun seeing old and new faces again.

Spade: we should really double sometime. and for the record, im not mad at the pause DQ thing at AUSOM. Your pretty legit, wont hold that against you and a really cool guy to be around.

AL-George: Break the targets is too much fun. link will make top tier one day. had a blast running through those with you

GA-George: you are getting so good! apex will have some challenges and i feel you need to practice certain matchups (which you have been doing) and you should be placing fairly well when the time comes. Good work! keep it up!

irob: im kinda salty, but you beat me pretty fairly. Good work and good games. I'll be ready next time tho

rag: i want to get you in tourney again. playing you was really fun and quite a learning experience. I do promise that the next time we play, it wont be so easy.

Cheap: thanks so much for the housing, i really appreciate it.

Billy: im getting there.. Very soon, we will be hearing the wario theme at the end of the match.

melee: lol was really fun thanks to everyone that played.

car: Prob the most enjoyable part of the whole experience, in my opinion.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Honestly Dyno, I'm not sure what you are talking about with the time delay. 64, Melee, and Brawl started on time. I wasn't there when we were supposed to start doubles, but I hear we did not have enough teams to run that tournament. I am sorry that you did not get to play teams; Michael told me that was the whole reason you came. Next time, if we only have 4 or so teams, then we can go round robin.

We already admitted Chaz's seeding was a mistake, so I'm not sure what else I can say about that. Even with Chaz's pool placement though, none of the pools were really stacked. Everyone who really should have gotten out of pools did so. The pools screwed up Chaz's seeding, but none of the pools were so stacked that they eliminated bracket contenders.

In any other community, this tournament probably would have been cancelled mere hours before it was scheduled to start. I know people have said it a few times already, but no one who is complaining now has really acknowledged that fact.

I'm not asking you show gratitude to me or the ASL; I'm asking you show gratitude to Byron (Taker). Ingulit tried to cancel the tournament at 7:30 in the morning. Byron, having had no prior TO experience, jumped in and saved the day. He got the tournament up and running for 3 hours until Reflex showed up and took over. When Luis showed up, he even commented he had very little to do because Byron was on top of it. Byron also took a lot of responsibility under his belt after I showed up. He ran registration and food. He told people where to go to play their matches. He helped write down the replay information so we can identify replays off the sd cards. He did it all with a remarkable enthusiasm. How upset would you guys be if you drove a few hours to find out there was no tournament at all? Thank you, Byron.

Player-1

Smash Legend
How are vids coming? Think they'll be up by this weekend?

edit: or should I say, think that you'll post the link to the cam by this weekend?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I'm sure Cam will corroborate my story that: ****'s too busy to do replays this week. Auburn has a whole week off for Thanksgiving which just means a whole week of torture before Thanksgiving.

If anyone with a capture card want's to help out feel free to PM Cam or I. Mostly Cam, he has all the replays I believe.
But I expect it'll all get done quickly when that one week vacation actually starts so it's w/e

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I've been having trouble installing the capture card software on my laptop. I'll have to upload the replays when I go home for Thanksgiving. Like Brannon said, if anyone with a capture card wants to help, I'll send you some of the replays.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Player-1 :diddy: Vs Kismet :falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXkHRUVAimI&feature=channel_video_title

Player-1 :diddy: Vs Billy :sheik:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FC7EBp6f1E&feature=channel_video_title

Player-1 :diddy:Vs Micaelis :wario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu19YlSk-GE

4God :dedede: Vs Reflex :wario:/:pt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUlx9kIiN0

I decided to upload my matches first cuz im cool like that, but I have all replays right now except the ones that were saved on the commentary set up so you'll have to wait for m3troid for those. Where you at m3troid? I'll upload more later today after I sleep

B_AWAL

Smash Master
1st offf.. WTF @DRN's characters(No Zss???)

2nd @Reflex dude u gotta understand where he's coming from... He was forced to play U in the pool which screwed him up when his skilll level was better than other players... N DRN is def legit! its kinda like me messing up when I had U & M2K on the same side of the bracket and Biglou on the same side as Kismet(Nvm Kismet had a lower record and Bigluo was a 2nd seed but I still shudda fixed it).

3rd @ Every1... Side A with complaints is just making so valid comments to ease the situation next time. While Side B is just trying to lessen the blow. Side A(DRN n GA) aren't tryina bash Side B(Cam n TO's) they are just tryina voice their complaints 4 next time

Edit: 2 much ****ing **** 2 read!!! I'm not in school anymore a ***** graduated!!! ****ing *******s...

Edit Again:p1... Sir u r awesome

:sonic:

DRN

Smash Lord
1st offf.. WTF @DRN's characters(No Zss???)

2nd @Reflex dude u gotta understand where he's coming from... He was forced to play U in the pool which screwed him up when his skilll level was better than other players... N DRN is def legit! its kinda like me messing up when I had U & M2K on the same side of the bracket and Biglou on the same side as Kismet(Nvm Kismet had a lower record and Bigluo was a 2nd seed but I still shudda fixed it).

3rd @ Every1... Side A with complaints is just making so valid comments to ease the situation next time. While Side B is just trying to lessen the blow. Side A(DRN n GA) aren't tryina bash Side B(Cam n TO's) they are just tryina voice their complaints 4 next time

Edit: 2 much ****ing **** 2 read!!! I'm not in school anymore a ***** graduated!!! ****ing *******s...

Edit Again:p1... Sir u r awesome

Yea i decided on no Zss for this tourney

DRN

Smash Lord
@DRN WHY?

Lol it was just something i wanted to try. My other characters arent far in skill from my zss though. The only set that might have changed would be me vs Billy since we are usually pretty 50/50 with zss sheik

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Thank you P1 for uploading what you have. Looking forward to watching the rest of like ALL the matches :D

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah, I don't have the recording set/commentary setup/set up #5/hello kitty TV so you'll have to wait for m3troid about those. I can upload the rest now that I'm back from my thanksgiving break, but I've been playing MW3 a good bit since I got it over the break (don't get it, it sucks), but I think I'll try to upload the rest tomorrow before I get too busy cramming for finals.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Billy :sheik: Vs Ragnarock :diddy:/:pikachu2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZNHOC9OIQ

Cam :pikachu2: Vs JMIX :mario2:/:luigi2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n9rn-DO1zs

iPuff :rob Vs Dyno :Warioc:/:olimar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkbXrlU-ZY

iPuff :rob: Vs Ryker :falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5CPNReAZxY

Ryker :falco: Vs Reflex :warioc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoGyYaj1gU

TheOneJanitor :pit: Vs 4God :dedede:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QQB8Vw0-_0

TheOneJanitor :pit:/:snake: Vs iPuff :rob:
check my channel it will be up in a few minutes.

Uploading more when i get back from the AL tournament tomorrow, I don't have much left

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I like how everyone decides it's a good idea to go Pikachu against Billy. He's had a lot of practice at that matchup, whereas the Pikachus he's going against only seem to know that they need to grab Sheik. Pikas that only try to grab a GOOD Sheik player are going to get wrecked by ftilt locks, juggling, needles, jabs, out-of-shield downsmashes, and grab release dacuses.

It's stupid, but you have to camp Sheik players with dtilts and fsmashes until they screw up. That's when you grab them. That matchup is boring to be honest because both sides have to camp, but if you try to camp with tjolts, you will likely get needled or put into an awkward position because you jumped too high.

Top Bottom