• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Yeah, I would focus on learning more basic things like reading your opponent, movement and combos/juggles. You could probably learn to parry projectiles.

I've played Yoshi for a year and a half, and I still don't think my time would best be invested in practicing parries. I only use it for projectiles, and occasionally for a frame trap kind of thing.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Mind Trick is right; all of my recorded matches have been uploaded! Any and all constructive critique is welcome!

Vs. Germ (Falco): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7y33k1ZZo
Vs. Gar (Sheik): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXnFXF27hA
Vs. Ycz6 (Samus): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIRku047Bg - I need the most advice on this one
Vs. Stephen (Marth): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJmMZ2rVtY
Vs. Pat (Samus/Fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo1NRLaAmls
Vs. SFAT (Captain Falcon/Fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7MDlAXbvM

Thanks in advance!

Also, here's the results thread with the brackets if anyone wanted to check it out:
http://smashboards.com/threads/game...omed-sfat-plus-scar-vs-tomber-runback.339982/

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Saw all of them. I think you could use a lot more shielddrops, especially against that campy Samus. You can actually be safe on top of the platform she is under, ready for a drop-uair anytime.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Yeah, I agree. In tournaments I have an especially hard time performing shield drops compared to other techniques. I guess that means I just need to practice shield drops more. Thanks!

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
No problem. It takes a while before you get to fully incorporate a technique like that, but when you do it is bliss.
I have to compliment you on your movement. You are all over the stage!

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Alright, watched some of the matches.

You throw out too much dsmash and get punished for it a lot. Most notably when used on tech chasing rolls and on a hard read on when the opponent is dropping his shield. I think for techchasing a dashgrab is much better against rolls, unless you can make a hard read. Dsmash is amazing though for missed techs and techs in place. On shields if you really want to smash, fsmash is a much better option when spaced (or pivoted, or empty dj waveland shenanigans). And for slow recoveries running through and djc nair gets them off the stage again, while dsmash the other way gives them another chance.

Another thing that got you in bad positions was when you full jumped out of parrying/powershielding projectiles, I think wavedash is most of the time a better option unless you are retreating to platforms. Both falco and samus can pretty easily stuff telegraphed approaches from the air. With samus you kinda have to play the projectile, tilt spacing and shielddrop game.

Some other quick notes; I saw some dthrows on floaties when upthrow would be a much better option. Edgeguarding against spacies needs some work as well. You can't do too much about high recoveries (sometimes weak nair/bair to stuff), but try to always be ready for an illusion.

I saw some really sick stuff though, good use of upsmash and weak nair, really good movement, and creative combos, most notably the egg to downb :D

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Thanks Mind Trick! Would you mind pinpointing instances where U-throw would have been better?

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I watched a couple matches. you're actually about as good as I expected.

In regards to downsmash, you're spacing it right for techchases, but you're still throwing it out anticipatorily rather than reacting.

Overall, you're very solid. I think the most significant offensive thing that needs polish would be control of your fair. I know you're aware of these flubs as they happen, but just practice the different DJC heights for fair. Delayed DJC full hop fair to bait a get up attack, different platform height techchases, etc.

I personally don't like smashing shields, I prefer spacing aerials so I land behind them and go for safe mix ups that way.

Also, I don't think you need much advice honestly seem you seem to be intelligent enough to learn more from playing a lot. You also have access to top notch players, so I think you're on the right path.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Kimimaru, my thoughts and advice:

You have the Dsmash fever. I know that feeling, it sucks. You probably have immediate regret every time you throw them out and it is a habit, where you put them out when you want a kill. . . you have to resist that. Try some more Ftilt (see below)

(DJC U-air) Juggle more. In game 1 vs the Shiek you dropped to openings on the last stock alone. They really build % super well, and a character like Shiek (her Dair sucks) doesn't have a reliable way to beat it.

Jab reset more. It covers a missed tech without you committing and dropping any possible techchase. If you miss a jab reset, or they SDI it, it leaves you in a better position. Ftilt also works really well. Actually, you probably just want more Ftilt in general. That move has been a big part of me moving away from overusing dsmash. It comes out just as fast, covers a little more area around you (doesn't hit under airbourne opponents as easily), and most importantly isn't a huge committment. Usually landing a Ftilt lets you get a combo too, which does more % than Dsmash, but you usually won't get as much knockback.

Definitely need more shield drop familiarity. Once you're comfortable with it, you'll become much more dangerous on platforms.

You need to work on how you interact with shields. Either go for pressure(like vman), or safely cover options (like Angel). I think those are the most effective ways to pressure shields, and the players that most exemplify them. Other players seem to do a mixture of the two (or throw out bad moves, like me, which you should avoid).

You definitely seem to be doing similar things that I am, which is kind of encouraging. You seem like your playstyle relies on fundamentals, which I think is cool. Also, don't take this the wrong way, but it is kind of nice to see someone with similar problems, makes me feel less dumb for having them.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I appreciate the feedback everyone!

Purpletuce, I usually use DJC U-airs whenever I get the opportunity (this is evident in some of sets against fastfallers). I don't like to make excuses, but Game 1 of that set was my first Singles game of the tournament and I was very nervous, hence the much better performance in Game 2. I also jab reset around 90% of the time, but looking back at those matches I must've been desperate to get kills sometimes so I just D-smashed. I'm also not entirely sure that we share the same problems, considering that movement was the biggest problem I saw in your play whereas I haven't heard anything bad about my movement quite yet.

I usually am pretty bad against shields though. I should dash grab more often like you guys pointed out.

Keep it coming!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Something I was thinking about:

If Falco is on the ground and you parry his shine, he wouldn't be able to do anything against a perfect Parry -> N-air if the hitlag he experienced was 3 or more frames. His fastest option would be jump -> shine, which would be 7 frames total, discounting the hitlag (6 frame jumping animation and 1 for the shine); Yoshi would need only 9 frames to jump and N-air, putting him at -2 without the hitlag. Based on what I've seen, the hitlag looks like 3-4 frames, putting Yoshi at +1 minimum. Can anyone confirm this?

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I know I have a problem with movement (the biggest thing I'm working on now). I was saying the problems I saw (even if they were for a small sample size) were ones that I always notice to have. More of bad habits then weaknesses in gameplay. Movement is more complex then throwing out a bad dsmash, I usually know when I shouldn't have used a dsmash, and it is apparent immediately. Movement isn't as easy to pin down, so in my opinion, it isn't as frustrating.

Also, I'm sure I've said this before. I'm really bad at making/understanding internet connotation. If I previously sounded condescending, like I had been where you are now(implying I am ahead of you), that wasn't my intention. Sorry.

I think your calculations for being able to parry nair are correct, assuming that the yoshi jumps out of parry asap.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Oh, I didn't take it as condescending at all. My reply came out more harsh than intended so I'm sorry if you thought I felt offended. I see what you mean now with the similar problems and I agree.

I also think my gameplay is rather chaotic at times and I just throw out attacks and rely a bit too much on hard reads (this isn't a Melee-only thing for me either; I do it in Smash 64 as well). I think the best example of my more focused, less chaotic play is the first stock on game 2 against SFAT.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I figured you were fine, but no harm in checking. I think making hard reads often is a double edged sword. When it causes you to throw out things, it obviously is a pain to your gameplay, but I also think it helps you improve. When you commit to an option to cover, you're making a situation where you're forced to read, and over time you'll condition yourself for better reads. So I think it is not necessarily a bad thing, especially when training.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Something I was thinking about:

If Falco is on the ground and you parry his shine, he wouldn't be able to do anything against a perfect Parry -> N-air if the hitlag he experienced was 3 or more frames. His fastest option would be jump -> shine, which would be 7 frames total, discounting the hitlag (6 frame jumping animation and 1 for the shine); Yoshi would need only 9 frames to jump and N-air, putting him at -2 without the hitlag. Based on what I've seen, the hitlag looks like 3-4 frames, putting Yoshi at +1 minimum. Can anyone confirm this?
Falco only has 5 frames of jumpsquat so he could get shine out on frame 6.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I went to a small smashfest a couple of days ago and it was fun. I've been putting more effort into actually using shield dropping, and I managed to do it pretty consistently during the smashfest.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
I went Yoshi only for the first time at a tournament about a month ago. I got a bye at first, lost the first match 0-2, then a bye in losers. Then 0-3. Didn't win a single tourney match. :(

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
If it's your first time going Yoshi only, then I wouldn't worry about your performance. Yoshi plays so much differently than any other character, so if you're used to playing him with another character in a tournament then suddenly switch to only him, it will throw you off. You'll get better the more you play him and familiarize yourself with him in a tournament setting.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but you can ledge cancel Yoshi Bomb using Whispy's wind on Dreamland.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I'm going to a tournament on saturday for the first time in... more than 6 months I think. Planning on going all Yoshi, tech skill on point, excited to see how I stack up with the new tech in my arsenal.

Upsmash out of your running turnaround animation is pretty cool.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Good luck Mind Trick! I happen to be going to a tournament on Saturday as well. It's a local where we'll determine Power Rankings for my region. I'm pretty sure I'll get 2nd unless I choke too hard.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Good Luck yall. Crush their hopes, dreams, soul and Asperations!!! I won't be entering this weekend on account of no controller. But sometime next week I should beable to enter again. I'll also be adding more tournament vids for critique prettay soon. !!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
When did Amsah start playing again?! In any case, good stuff Mind Trick! 9th is very impressive in a 64 man tournament! Were any of your sets recorded?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
What should Yoshi do against Captain Falcon's Nair? I haven't been able to find anything that works.

Also, is there a good way to practise parrying on my own?

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
If you want to tackle Falcon's N-air directly, you can CC it at low percents. You should also be prepared to counter it with something like F-smash or simply maneuver around it if you can. When you're on the edge of the stage this is significantly harder.

Parrying relies on your ability to read, which is a general player skill. I think a level 9 CPU Yoshi Egg Rolls often if you're far away, so you can practice parrying with that on FD. Another option is to practice parrying a CPU Falco's lasers on FD.

Top Bottom