• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

soju

SD God
Meh, as Bamesy said, don't give too much room, but also you need some breathing space, so a spaced ftilt will get you some room to work with while not giving as much to CF

N64

Smash Champion
I don't really keep falcon out of range or stay in his face as much as I just keep him at a comfortable range. The range just outside of his neutral sh nair. Uair will beat most of his approach options from this range and you can approach him pretty safely by nairing through him. Also, you threaten to dash->grab as much as he does, so this keeps him a little weary. If he tries to dash away, dash with him. If he tries to get over you uair him up for juggles or down to keep him back on the ground. Poke with dtilts, dash around a lot (while keeping the spacing up as best as possible) and move in when you see an opportunity.

Kawasari Mimoto

Smash Cadet
playing Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody!
Serious question, but I started picking up Pika lately, and oh boy, is it fun... But I don't see a lot of Pikas on YT using UpTilt as a way to combo that much, or is it just me? Because whenever I'm fighting Space Animals or whatever, I tend to use several Uptilts (2 - 5+) as a combo starter, and then either UpSmash or Uair. I did notice that there's a delay for the opponent after using several uptilts, but I don't really notice anybody spamming uptilts as much in vids. Maybe it's just me? Or is it because you guys don't prefer using Uptilts because it's easy for the opponent to DI away? Thanks!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
As pikachu his up-tilts are better vs FFers than pichus at lower percents. go up-tilt to grab if to high up-smash.

play how you play. I use side-B a lot as pichu for a reason that most people couldn't understand.

Kawasari Mimoto

Smash Cadet
As pikachu his up-tilts are better vs FFers than pichus at lower percents. go up-tilt to grab if to high up-smash.

play how you play. I use side-B a lot as pichu for a reason that most people couldn't understand.
True. I guess most people do play different, regardless of how the character is built. I space a lot on Jigglypuff (my previous main), I get extremely aggressive but control the stage with lasers on Falco (current), but I'm a bit jumpy [literally] on my Pika. I like to use aerials more here. :3

soju

SD God
Up-tilt is actually a really legit combo starter, you can grab from it, usmash, uair, dsmash, and some other stuff after a couple of these, but it only really works on spacies though, and people just prefer chain grab/usmash over it
oh and welcome to the pika boards =w=

Kawasari Mimoto

Smash Cadet
Up-tilt is actually a really legit combo starter, you can grab from it, usmash, uair, dsmash, and some other stuff after a couple of these, but it only really works on spacies though, and people just prefer chain grab/usmash over it
oh and welcome to the pika boards =w=
Exactly! Which is why I'm still wondering why I don't see as many people trying to uptilt as they try to chain-grab. :( Because I was gonna say, you can technically spam Uptilt a couple of times unless the opponent is Jigs or somehow has really GREAT DI.

You can combo from it into a lot of things too. I'm loving my Pika right now, experimenting with stuff atm. Also, thanks! I'll be lurking in this section of the forums quite often, at the rate I'm going.

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
Hey Pikas! So I am hopefully getting some stuff recorded (My Pika of course) at a tournament I am having this weekend, I was wondering if anyone would want to watch my vids and critique me some.
I don't really want to post them on youtube or on the boards since I am mostly recording with Dr.PP and I am going to be getting ***** :( but if anyone wants to help me out or has some free time it would be great if you could pm me or something and I could send you the vids :)

:025:

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Exactly! Which is why I'm still wondering why I don't see as many people trying to uptilt as they try to chain-grab. :( Because I was gonna say, you can technically spam Uptilt a couple of times unless the opponent is Jigs or somehow has really GREAT DI.
I don't get it, why would you uptilt during a chaingrab? Chaingrab pretty much goes 0-death or unless there's a platform, and uptilt doesn't solve that problem.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
how does pikachu's dthrow usmash work on marth?

axe has hidden this from me for the past 8 months, and i found out about it from taj last week.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
cuz axe "refuses" to use D-throw... I actually remember showing that to him, when he was a beginner Pikachu.. =)

Yep I **** Tai = noob.. <3

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
pikachu's has more knockback same stun

Something to note the best thing I could get it to combo into was f-tilt on gannon at like 80% nothing esle works i've tested and tested and tested. however something to understand about d-throw if it didn't have that ending lag it would be a perfect copy of sheik's d-throw in EVERYWAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8M9WqCvCk if you watch mario gets comboed like wise sheik can jump out at 0% perfect with great timing and di. You have to know what works on the player. I've tech chased marths with d-throw and it should last till like 60% vs sheik :(.

You have to know how they will react for it to be useful. If they tech combo or tech chase if they try to jump out sometimes combo or upair them and they don't have their 2nd jump. If they try nair sometimes you can be faster and combo them or sheild and then up-smash if they air dodge out just nair them. also di is a sigh they will tech maybe airdodge they won't attack. It's prediction IF they know how pichu's d-throw works or they try to always do something by reaction.

Unless it's like mario or something i'd just up-throw. Space animals just tech chase if they mess their tech jab reset f-smash is **** as all get out.

Really I think f-throw is more solid for combos like vs puff f-throw nair also as falco I play some mean mindgames with f-throw i'll f-throw into f-throw into DD regrab into fsmash or dair just know how they will react and this does more than just gives you extra percent it really gets in people's heads that you know everything they'll do. I mean to do it as pichu but up-throw upair dair is very nice damage when I fight sheik/falco(up-throw combos be fun) but mindgames is what pichu just totally ***** at.

after so much f-throw like different throw into combo.

mother f***er I could write some pages on pichu.
You guys really should check out some of my pichu posts very insightful at times.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Utilt isn't a bad move, it's just that it's rare that I'll ever see a time where a utilt would be more appropriate than a Usmash or a Uair. I do use it sometimes, but it's just very rare lol. I say... if you're having success using it, then keep using it :)

I never use Dthrow anymore... Back in the day when I used to try, I don't think I ever got Dthrow Usmash to actually work except for like once, probably because my opponent decided to not jump out of it for some reason. I know that it will never combo if they DI away, and I believe that it never combos with neutral DI or DI towards you, but I haven't tested it frame by frame or anything. I've just had tons of failures :( On heavier characters, they will be forced to tech at lower percents so it can be used as a techchase, but I've just always loved using Uthrow since you can get a guaranteed hit after it. Then again, I don't use Dthrow much at all so maybe someone else would know better ^^

Maria, you can send your vids to me, but I'm absolutely horrible with advice lol. I'll try my best though

N64

Smash Champion
I dthrow peaches at mid percent and then shield. They'll usually either mash out nair (which i shield and then grab them again) or double jump (which i can jump uair spike, and now they're spiked with no second jump). Dthrow -> usmash isn't guaranteed on anyone I don't think (too DI dependent), but dthrow->options can be.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
rising up-air part that hits them straight up is the same as pichu's upair so you can combo space aniamls to anything till 90% 20% vs falcon after they have to be comboed upwards or higher than when you upaired them.

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
Maria, you can send your vids to me, but I'm absolutely horrible with advice lol. I'll try my best though
yay alright, I actually ended up not recording cause my tournament was kind of hectic and I did not have the time in between running it...
buuuut I think PP is coming over to record sometime in the near future or something and I will let you know. Thank you :)

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
I'm so scared of Shiek that I just constantly Nair through her and hope she doesn't ftilt or DD and hope she doesn't dashattack and grab and hope she doesn't grab me out of it...
lol

What do you do against Shieks out of grabs?
Uthrow and Bthrow just whatever fits, or is there something DECENTLY garaunteed (decently PLLLEASEEE??)
I don't know how playing Pika alone can get you through her. I know I'll need other characters if I ever come across a beastly one, it just hasn't happened yet. :|

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I don't know much about the matchup. It seems pretty impossible. I guess d-smashing whenever you think she'll grab is good. Also, I would imagine you can tech chase with d-throw? Can't be positive though.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
If you Nair the front of sheik's sheild spot dodge or jab sheik's s***. also use more jolts and d-tilts. sheik is somewhat like marth is the idea of F***ing up their spacing, you have to bait them, and mindgames and mix-ups.

soju

SD God
I'm so scared of Shiek that I just constantly Nair through her and hope she doesn't ftilt or DD and hope she doesn't dashattack and grab and hope she doesn't grab me out of it...
lol
Nothing is really guaranteed with sheik XD With grabs it is best to bthrow when close to an edge and attempt the edgeguard, while in middle of stage, its better to use uthrow and attempt a uair juggle or a nair. Most of Sheiks attacks outrange and outprioritizes Pika's moves, and her camping game is far superior to Pikachu's. You need to be really precise with your L-Cancels and try and to not do random aerials giving her the chance to chaingrab and I agree with ICG that you need to bait Sheiks into messing up their spacing and Ftilts and Dtilts are necessary. You want to get Sheik in a situation that they really can't do anything (F.E edgehogging to force Sheik to recover onto the stage so you can waveland and do an usmash or bthrow.) I think Pikachu has the most potential for edgeguarding against Sheik due to his ability to quick attack onto the ledge as Sheik starts her Up-B.

N64

Smash Champion
Sheik is rough. There's a lot that goes into the matchup, but most of it revolves around preventing grabs and avoiding her air to air game. Like many matchups, you want to put her in the air and then be below her, because the matchup becomes a lot easier when you do.

As far as throwing her, uair is good to get her in the air, and bthrow is good if you're near an edge, as it puts pressure on her to recover. Nothing much is guaranteed against sheik from throws, so just try to use them to put her where you want her to be, above you or off the stage.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Alright cool. Pretty much the same ideas and pretty much what I concluded.
Ty for the confirmation that it sucks. HAHAH

Her priority is the same issue I have with Peach/Luigi.
Can't get in to wack without getting wacked, unless you outright trick them. :(

It's ok though we have gimp. :)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
mindgames learn them. marth is the same way but faster and more range but can't edge gaurd /**** you as bad. I like marths more they feel so straight forward if they don't know your going to nair them when your at the edge or their range then chances are you are going to land it. his f-tilt isn't as fast as sheik's nor his jab. I think if you can space better than marth the match-up is super easy no matter what they do. think of puff having less range than marth but out spacing him with movement and attacks.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
grab edge and bair him beats his recovery easily don't f-smash it's very limited in that case.

axe seemed to do better simply from knowing his charcter better.

space all moves pikachu should never sheild grab your s***. even d-smash.

even if pikachu/pichu has a great roll you shouldn't use it very offen. also you have no idea what your options are on the edge. come under and upair them to punish them, wd on 2nd grab regrab up-B around of with the 2nd jump be sure to air dodge any incoming attack.

battlefield pikachu has more options than normal for the edge.also edge stall a bit.

also learn to read better. I was playing 2 people at once yestreday and I quickly took note of how aggevise each one was, techs, recovery, and junk and they simply couldn't beat my pichu because of my reads. also it was funny when I was marth i'd DD around predict grab f-throw till I racked up like 40% and he simply couldn't touch me no matter what he did.

learn to read people and it's impossible for them to hit you I know this and must master this a pichu.

don't mess up tech skill. rarly fair pikachu's fair is even worse than pichu's

for thunder run off and 2nd jump back on and make him unless able to grab the edge and you'll have much less lack form it not hitting you. being hit nearly doubles the lag.

also you let axe take over all the control of the match to much and you never pressured him really. nor went crazy when you landed a hit. you don't have to combo to kill but think of puff landing just bairs. It won't work UNLESS her has some form of control or pressure and locks you down. same for about everyone.

Be less predictable. surprise yourself.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLmY-CkXys0
Wow. Just wow. Jeff dittos are amazing.

In all seriousness, this isn't really Pikachu-related, but it's Axe-related so that's good enough to post in here, I guess. Anyways, I just thought that Axe's Falco was just complete **** in this video. I feel like I've never seen any Falco move so fluidly or so fast.

Axe is just too good D8

Top Bottom