• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Nair puts fast fallers on the ground at mid percents. How good is nair -> thunder jolt to follow their tech away/tech in place? (In some situations, nair puts them too far to tech chase with up-smash) If they tech in, you react. If they tech in place, the jolt sets up for a possible grab.

Does this even work? What about bthrow to set up this situation?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Does this even work? What about bthrow to set up this situation?
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain that it doesn't work at all [or at least it's not reliable]

1) Jolt is slower than tech-chasing
2) lag from using jolt is tremendous, esp when considering how short the hitstun is from a grounded jolt
3) if they're too far away for usmash and you predict (keyword) the tech-away, punishing it with an aerial jolt more often than not will result in shield pressure, not an actual hit or setup.

Again, there are exceptions to the situation, but typically: something went wrong for that situation to work, LOL

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Im a new 401 Smasher, and iv mostly been playin Yoshi and Sheik lately but id like to get good with pikachu, and if i get good enough maybe main, I was wondering where I should be starting off and what i should be practicing.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Im a new 401 Smasher, and iv mostly been playin Yoshi and Sheik lately but id like to get good with pikachu, and if i get good enough maybe main, I was wondering where I should be starting off and what i should be practicing.

can you please help DJ =[

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
what part of the tail spike makes it spike? i didnt really understand the frame-by-frame thing, is it when that red part is facing the trajectory i want my opponent to go?

is there like a more practical way of knowing which part of the tail spike is going to make it spike? i always send them upwards...
Each frame has a slightly different trajectory, but in general, the first fourty-five degrees (directly behind pikachu) takes the opponent up, the second fourty-five degrees(top back area) sends the opponent backwards, the third fourty-five degrees( top forward) sends the opponent forwards, and the last fourty-five degrees(front-ish) of the hitbox sends the opponent in and backwards-up direction.

The tailspike, which is a semi-spike, not a true spike, just like fox's shine or shiek's fair. It sends the opponent directly ssideways and slightly down, moreso depending on which frame of the hitbox hits. So in order to use it to semi-spike people, you'll have to het when the tail is above pikachu. Spacing is pretty key here, since you'll have to know when to hit them forward or behind you, depending on which direction you're facing.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
I went on without help by watching alot of axe pika vids, which helped considerbly, but i was wondering, is there any frames where pikas dmash spikes?

N64

Smash Champion
pika's dsmash (all except the last hit) send the opponent towards pika and slightly downward. Usually this just keeps people in the dsmash (as it hits like 6+ times) until the last hit, which hits them upwards.

You can however use it to pseudo-spike certain chars' recoveries if you position it well (so the hitbox barely reaches the edge) as when the opponent goes for the ledge he will get hit by the usmash, and pulled towards pikachu (into the stage) and down. The stun is long enough that fastfallers have difficulty recovering from it. It's also untechable at lower percents, which make it an instant kill on falcon, falco, i think ganon, and possibly fox, as they can't upB again until too late to recover.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
noted, seems pretty logical, im not maining pika, just getting a better understanding for every char. to get better

N64

Smash Champion
it's fine to do at low percents on fast fallers given two things:
1) they are recovering from below
2) you're fairly certain they'll upB directly towards the ledge (i.e. they won't try to firefox straight up and catch the ledge on their fall or something)

At higher percents it's techable, and pika lags enough from it that he can't stop walltechjump->forwardB or some other recovery options after tech. Additionally, if they recover from the side or from above, this doesn't work (still could potentially hit them, just won't pseudospike).

It's more of a neat trick than a staple edgeguard.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I do the same as pichu and I abuse his inv. frames to beat everything out I know pichu's isn't techable till like 60% for falco. Also for understanding other charcters my take is get the gen. info unlike what I did and I read the ness guide XD like know their tactics that super gimpickly like kirby b-throw off the edge or falco's chain throw on fox and other simple things like that then play a lot as random and learn more about your main. Understand you have to use your time wisely you don't need to know all the crazy angles of ness's up-B compared to knowing how to pillar or SDi out of fox's up-throw.

but fighting them is normally the best way and asking their mains after a match.

AXE 09

Smash Master
The other day, I learned that two Pikachus can SWD through each other's quick attacks. So both Pikachus go flying across the stage in different directions. It's pretty amazing lol.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
I beleive my buddy Kevin M has said you have one of the best Pantheons out there, would this be true? dont be modest haha

D. Disciple

Smash Master
pika's dsmash (all except the last hit) send the opponent towards pika and slightly downward. Usually this just keeps people in the dsmash (as it hits like 6+ times) until the last hit, which hits them upwards.

You can however use it to pseudo-spike certain chars' recoveries if you position it well (so the hitbox barely reaches the edge) as when the opponent goes for the ledge he will get hit by the usmash, and pulled towards pikachu (into the stage) and down. The stun is long enough that fastfallers have difficulty recovering from it. It's also untechable at lower percents, which make it an instant kill on falcon, falco, i think ganon, and possibly fox, as they can't upB again until too late to recover.
it's fine to do at low percents on fast fallers given two things:
1) they are recovering from below
2) you're fairly certain they'll upB directly towards the ledge (i.e. they won't try to firefox straight up and catch the ledge on their fall or something)

At higher percents it's techable, and pika lags enough from it that he can't stop walltechjump->forwardB or some other recovery options after tech. Additionally, if they recover from the side or from above, this doesn't work (still could potentially hit them, just won't pseudospike).

It's more of a neat trick than a staple edgeguard.

Pretty much nailed it.

The percentage of when they are able to tech it is around 35-40% I believe. It acts the same way if we tailspike them into the stage, or when we fthrow them against a wall.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
mostly thinking of FoDs or some stage like that but what if falco shoot a laser and you powersheilded it back and up-Bed oos hit him and grabbed the edge to or came back it'd do more damage and if falco was right next to the edge you could upair him. I thinking about doing something like that with pichu just powersheild up-B after the laser and follow up or I could jolt out of sheild to add more damage/pressure.

talking about falco being to far to WD up-smash or anything

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
are you serious? no it's reaction time or even prediction i've ran up to my brother and sheilded right as he lasered it's inhuman to react to that. also up-B out of sheild isn't insanly hard.

but as long as it's a surprise I think it's very doable. heck I got a noob who didn't know you could powersheild to powersheild fox lasers back to me after his 3rd try

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I'm not saying it's impossible, I can power shield lasers back to falco. The process just sounded extremely sick, and I was vision it being a lot faster than usual in my head that's why.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
well up-B comes out at like frame 6 I think and takes like 13 frames to pass i'd think you'd come by a little after the laser and lasers have at least 6 frames of stun. unless they predict which could be possible then you'd tack on more damage and if it's a total surprise then you could upair off the edge. also powersheild jolt would be XD

AXE 09

Smash Master
I think I understand what you're saying, ICG. So you're saying if Falco is by a ledge and is about to SHL, and you are close enough to up-b to the ledge, then you can powershield the laser -> up-b past him and sweetspot the ledge? And if he's close enough, ledge hop -> Uair.

At least, that's what I got from what you were explaining. That actually sounds really good. I think that can definitely work, if you find yourself in the position to do it. I'm definitely gonna try to do it next time I get the chance.

As far as powershield -> thunderjolt, are you just saying to powershield his laser, then full jump OOS thunderjolt? I've been doing that for quite a while now lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmyH9GAcd4
At 0:52 and 3:16... Although neither of them were effective lol. But it works good as an anti-camping strategy.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
AXE at around 5:10, thats pikas tilt correct? is that the best edge guard possible, like best for most options against spacies?

AXE 09

Smash Master
Well at that height, that tilt might not have hit him (which means if he didn't shorten his forward b, he might have lived). If he just started his forward b when he was a little bit lower, then the Ftilt would've hit for sure. I'm pretty sure I just misjudged at that moment. However, even if I missed, he would've landed behind me, which allows me to go for a Bthrow and another edgeguard opportunity.

Ftilt is a pretty safe option even if it misses, but I wouldn't say that there is a "best" option. I would probably use it like 90% of the time if a spacie is recovering from below. However, when they recover high like that, it's a gamble because they can Forward B onto the platform which allows for a free punish, but they might still live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ2pk-JEs-c At 1:14 is a good example of that. I wanted him to forward b lower, but he went high instead and landed on the platform. After that, all I could really do was punish with 1 hit. I was just lucky he DI'd the way he did, because if he didn't DI that way, he wouldn't have gone off the other side of the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liy8D3bIOdU At 0:45 is another example. I tried to scare him into dropping low instead of recovering high by acting as if I was going to jump after him, but he didn't fall for it. So I couldn't ftilt him.
1:40 is the same. He kept recovering high.

If you suspect that your opponent is going to go high like that, the best thing you can really do is jump out there after him with a full jump thunderjolt, or any aeriel attack (Nair, Dair, Fair, Bair, or even just straight up Tailspike if you're feeling extremely confident).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWDo-nh6fc at 1:00 is a good example of that, I think.

If your opponent is coming from below or straight at you, I'd highly suggest an Ftilt. However, when your opponent is recovering high, it's a whole different story.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Well at that height, that tilt might not have hit him (which means if he didn't shorten his forward b, he might have lived). If he just started his forward b when he was a little bit lower, then the Ftilt would've hit for sure. I'm pretty sure I just misjudged at that moment. However, even if I missed, he would've landed behind me, which allows me to go for a Bthrow and another edgeguard opportunity.

Ftilt is a pretty safe option even if it misses, but I wouldn't say that there is a "best" option. I would probably use it like 90% of the time if a spacie is recovering from below. However, when they recover high like that, it's a gamble because they can Forward B onto the platform which allows for a free punish, but they might still live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ2pk-JEs-c At 1:14 is a good example of that. I wanted him to forward b lower, but he went high instead and landed on the platform. After that, all I could really do was punish with 1 hit. I was just lucky he DI'd the way he did, because if he didn't DI that way, he wouldn't have gone off the other side of the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liy8D3bIOdU At 0:45 is another example. I tried to scare him into dropping low instead of recovering high by acting as if I was going to jump after him, but he didn't fall for it. So I couldn't ftilt him.
1:40 is the same. He kept recovering high.

If you suspect that your opponent is going to go high like that, the best thing you can really do is jump out there after him with a full jump thunderjolt, or any aeriel attack (Nair, Dair, Fair, Bair, or even just straight up Tailspike if you're feeling extremely confident).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWDo-nh6fc at 1:00 is a good example of that, I think.

If your opponent is coming from below or straight at you, I'd highly suggest an Ftilt. However, when your opponent is recovering high, it's a whole different story.

Thankyou this helped alot AXE, not many people have taking their time to do this except V3c and you

soju

SD God
Hola! Mi Pikamigos, been a while.
Whats everyones opinions on options from the ledge when the guys is close enought to attack, but not close enough for me to ledgehop uair?

Top Bottom