• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Rainbow

Smash Apprentice
Are the knockbacks the same or does SB knock them further? Just curious because that is vital information for whether you should Usmash or SB
I'm not sure, I know at 0% you SB since it simply does more damage, though I don't know if there is any time the usmash will kill when the SB will not.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure SB has more knock back but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: Just tested and it looks like up smash has more knock back.

EDIT: SB does more damage so if puff is at low % so if you know you can't kill with an up smash go for a SB.

:phone:

Bing

Smash Master
Regardless of which has more knockback, its character and percentage specific. In most cases I'd up smash anyways, odds are if sb will ko then so will usmash, if it won't ko, u smash has a hell of a lot more combo potential

stelzig

Smash Lord
Without having tested it, I sincerely doubt that jiggs is so floaty that you can't follow up at all on 0%. Besides, it's not neccesarily about a true combo anyway. With skullbash, I imagine that you'd end up with more lag than puff and would be in a worse relative position to what you would be with usmash. Perhaps it is more guaranteed percent to just sideB, but idk if that means it is simply the best choice.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Favorite pika combo kinda thing (playing against falcon, of course)
nair through shield at the side of the stage, turn around grab -> bhtrow->he tries to upB, so I jab him a bunch-> dtilt-> nair off stage-> double jump straight up and hit downB by accident-> he upB's straight into the bottom of the thunder and it stage spikes him.

sadly, my friend learned to wall tech now and silly things like that don't work anymore :(

also, Skullbash is a better rest punisher than upsmash (% dependent).
Skullbash will kill puff at around 18-20%, iirc.
Pichu's Skullbash kills puff at like 12%.
Pichu's fully charged skullbash kills puff at like 8% or something ridiculous like that, but its impossible to hit something with Pichu's fully charged sideB because it charges for like forever-ish...

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I've seen it happen on team matches, an IC player was LCGing somebody and the pichu got it

AXE 09

Smash Master
Skull bash does more damage, but Usmash has more knockback. So I always opt with Skull bash for damage if I know Usmash won't kill.

It's also very difficult to follow up with another move after Usmash at 0%, so I personally like going for Skull Bash instead.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I got owned in tourney today for switching to Falco in game 2 of a set

maybe it's trying to tell me something lol

anyways, videos soon in the video thread

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Yea definitely, I'm just making a joke :p ultimately I want to be able to play against someone who knows the matchup and not win just by outjanking them. With both characters.

although in this case I lost both matches lol

odinNJ

Smash Lord
outjanking is an important part of low tiers. and pickachu is about 4.5 cactuars as a character. Thats a lot of jank

odinNJ

Smash Lord
yes, but when a top tier has a gimmick no one calls it a gimmick, if fox had anyone of pichus many jank gimmicks, it would be called a fox tactic, not a gimmick, they can work even if yor opponenet knows the matchup, you just have to set them up

odinNJ

Smash Lord
quick attack
making sure you always get the desired uair hitbox
other stuff

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Skull bash does more damage, but Usmash has more knockback. So I always opt with Skull bash for damage if I know Usmash won't kill.

It's also very difficult to follow up with another move after Usmash at 0%, so I personally like going for Skull Bash instead.
ah I see, so its different for Pika.
For Pichu, Skullbash kills faster and does more damage.
I assumed it was the same for Pika, but I guess I was wrong :\

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Typically I practice my spacing for things like upb and uair gimps. I also research and practice combos in training mode with the combo counter. What works on who to what percent and so on. I also work on my flow, since pika really needs to understand how to follow up on a lot of things. Understanding how his attacks knock other characters around is really imperative. In terms of combos, understand how DI affects stringing one move into the next. In terms of gimps, understand onstage and offstage options, and realise what works best in what situation. Obviously an offstage uair is the best gimp, but not always an option. Work with your strengths and work on your weaknesses.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Anyone here going to Zenith?

Also someone should go to the video critique thread and help me out >.> I'll give you internet bonus points for good advice :bee:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I was gunna go to Zenith, but then I decided to have my b-day party instead....
You must have a birthday party at zenith. You get to play everyone in marth vs bowser MMs as presents ;)

Top Bottom