• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Spyro

Smash Ace
they all have extensive Pikachu practice (via Pikachad) and are pretty cool guys, so I'm sure they can give you good pikachu advice when you get to play them.
Good, that means I can't just rely on gimmicks to win and I'll have to actually learn match-ups and learn them well to win.
Yeah If you really want to get into this, you gotta get out there :)

MAKE CONNECTIONS!
I know, I just have not gotten my mom to take me to any local smash fests, tournaments, etc. yet.

Bing

Smash Master
Dont rely on your parents for this one. I get no help from them :p I just bus for 2 hours to attend tournaments. I dont know how old you are, or what your situation is, but you might have to fly solo on this one :p

AXE 09

Smash Master
Sorry guys, I tried :(

But on the plus side, I got to meet some super awesome Pika players!! :D

<3 you guys!!!! I had a blast this weekend :D

:phone:

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
It's okay Axe, it was all jitters. Clear those up and you got this.

Our pikachu ditto was one of my high points. It was hillarious that half the match was just us trying to out-upb sweetspot the other to the ledge. I didn't even know there was another pika player in the PNW until this weekend. Granted he's never been to a tourney, but still.

Spyro

Smash Ace
It's alright Axe, we still love you. I still say you should have won that set with Lovage, it looked like you choked when you had a chance to take this last stock...

AXE 09

Smash Master
A very, very bad mistake lol. Well multiple very bad mistakes ;_;

I'll try again lol ^^ But thank you everyone :) I <3 you all!

It was very awesome meeting you Wad :) What was the name of the other Pika player who was there? I suck so bad with names, I couldn't even pronounce his tag lol I suck. But we hung out a lot and he was freakin awesome!!!! I love that guy =D I just remember he had kinda long black hair

stelzig

Smash Lord
I thought Sheik's tippered upsmash has the best vertical kill power...
IIRC, sheik tipper usmash is the most powerful usmash when fully charged, but pikachu usmash is stronger uncharged.

I have no idea if this is true, but i'm pretty sure I read that here once.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Alright, a lot of you are saying that Sheik's tippered Usmash is stronger than Pika's. Sooooooooo I decided to test it out, using the side platforms of YS.

It turns out that Pikachu's is stronger in both knockback and percent

Unstale, Pikachu's does 19% when uncharged, and 25% when fully charged.
Sheik's does 17% when uncharged, and 23% when fully charged.

Pika's uncharged Usmash kills Fox at 66% on the side platform of YS, and kills at 40% when fully charged.
Sheik's tippered uncharged Usmash kills Fox at 75%. Fully charged it kills at 47%.

Pika's the best :pika:

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Thank you for clearing that up Axe, I definitely thought that I had read that Sheik's upsmash was the most powerful vertical killer but it must have been wrong. That's pretty awesome for Pikachu though.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Alright, a lot of you are saying that Sheik's tippered Usmash is stronger than Pika's. Sooooooooo I decided to test it out, using the side platforms of YS.

It turns out that Pikachu's is stronger in both knockback and percent

Unstale, Pikachu's does 19% when uncharged, and 25% when fully charged.
Sheik's does 17% when uncharged, and 23% when fully charged.

Pika's uncharged Usmash kills Fox at 66% on the side platform of YS, and kills at 40% when fully charged.
Sheik's tippered uncharged Usmash kills Fox at 75%. Fully charged it kills at 47%.

Pika's the best :pika:

Wow. Broken.

Anyways, how should Peach go about fighting Pikachu? I find it to be one of those odd MUs where she does win, but Pika seems to have a lot of good stuff against her, and knowing the MU is key for both sides.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Pikachu can kill even sooner with a thunderflip :p(and bad D.I. from the opponent, but that also means if they D.I. good then it won't kill as early :()

Italis

Smash Rookie
A very, very bad mistake lol. Well multiple very bad mistakes ;_;

I'll try again lol ^^ But thank you everyone :) I <3 you all!

It was very awesome meeting you Wad :) What was the name of the other Pika player who was there? I suck so bad with names, I couldn't even pronounce his tag lol I suck. But we hung out a lot and he was freakin awesome!!!! I love that guy =D I just remember he had kinda long black hair
I LOVE YOU TOO AXE XDDDDDDDDD ya i was "butteryNipples" but man that awesome.... cant believe i got my mom to let me go even though i was grounded... lol

Italis

Smash Rookie
peach vs pika??? why??? anyways i dont really know alot bout it but i know that some pika may be desperate for an usmash and pikas also got aerials that hurt :) i know against a peach player @ my school i get super desperate for usmashes and he ends up dsmash/fsmahsing me alot. imeasy to read like that though...

N64

Smash Champion
I always find it a little difficult to comment on the other side of a matchup, because I don't play it. I do know what works well against my Pika though, so I'll mention what i can think of.

In Peach vs Pika, Peach probably wants to look out for and avoid a few key tactics Pika wants to use, while steadily building up damage on him. Pikachu is looking for 3 things: to usmash you, to put you in the air above him, and lead you towards the edge where uair spiking becomes threatening. To avoid these you'll want to usually stay close to the ground (not necessarily grounded, float cancelled aerials are of course very useful, just float low) and control the center of the stage when possible. Turnips are pretty good at reducing Pikachu's options, use them to help get in and create pressure. Throwing a turnip as you approach forces Pika to shield it or avoid it (catching it is silly and absurd! Don't listen to Axe!). Avoiding it puts Pika in an awkward and often disadvantageous position, either giving up space or limiting his movement (rolls, downdodge). Shielding it lets you get in close where you can threaten to grab him or poke his crappy shield. If you get on top of Pikachu while he's shielding, watch out for usmash or rising uair out of shield, but otherwise do what you can to beat it up. If he shields one dsmash from Peach, he's at risk of getting shield stabbed by practically anything for a short while after, and pretty much can't rely on his shield until it regenerates enough. Keep this in mind when applying pressure.

Peach's aerials beat or at least trade favorably with Pikachu's. Pretty much as long as you're not trading with his usmash (or maybe dair), you come out ahead. Pikachu is pretty frail. Limit Pikachu's options, try to limit his space to move around without recklessly chasing him around, get hits in when you can, and steadily rack up damage. Your objective is to catch Pikachu and beat him up when he tries to get away, and then steadily approach him again and leave the options to counter his approaches and counterattacks as you pin him again.

Don't go above Pikachu almost ever. Watch out for thunder when recovering, it's a potentially minor gimmick, but unique to the character and I catch a lot of Peach's just forgetting about it and trying to recover high. If you're on platforms, Pikachu can poke with uairs and dance around below baiting out a dsmash or defensive option, then hit you in the lag. Usually just try to stay close to the bottom of the stage, and just go in to the air when you expect Pika to try to jump out of your pressure and get around you.

Steady damage, control space, limit Pikachu's movement options, and watch out for the big threats (uair->combo and usmash), and the matchup is winnable.

Bing

Smash Master
I agree with what n64 said, float basically on the stage and nair like a boss, Ive done this MU before, its kinda awkward but once you get the hang of it, you're fine.

Good Summary N64

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
^ not necessarily, considering that deceleration rate is equal for any usmash - the only thing that should matter is initial velocity...

i guess it's worth a test though since melee mechanics are wonky at times...but im too lazy to since im still sure pika's usmash has the strongest knockback bar none :bee:

AXE 09

Smash Master
Axe, your test neglected to compare on a stage with a higher ceiling than YS. Comparing knockback is like comparing the curves of two quadratic functions.
I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't matter how high the ceiling is, but I guess I could test on other stages just to be sure... not right now though cuz I have a lot to take care of lol. If anyone else wants to test it, go for it =)

Me vs Bladewise

...On drugs Lolol XD

:pika:

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah you can certainly tell the difference just based off how fast they take off from the point of impact.
I mean its not like they're going to take off like a rocket and randomly stop.

Bing

Smash Master
I wish I could play well with Pikachu, I do really well against human players but I play like *** against computers and since thats 90% of my practice, its hard to improve XD

Spyro

Smash Ace
Pikachu dittos are fun. I got to play one Pikachu ditto on battlefield the first time I actually got to play with someone in my community.

Top Bottom