• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

leelue

Smash Lord
Which stage he chose to test the knockback should not matter.

Pikachu the best :pika:

:phone:
My understanding of the physics comes from brawl hacking, so maybe it's different in melee. But from what I know it seems possible that sheik's up smash has less base knockback but more knockback growth. If so her upsmash would seem weaker at low % with a low ceiling but at higher percentages on a stage like DL64 she'd start KO'ing fox earlier.

Pure conjecture on my part. I'm just here for thoroughness' sake.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't matter how high the ceiling is, but I guess I could test on other stages just to be sure... not right now though cuz I have a lot to take care of lol. If anyone else wants to test it, go for it =)

Me vs Bladewise

...On drugs Lolol XD

:pika:
I've tried to beat or even do decently against bladewise but he just learns so well. It also doesn't help that he's the only peach main in the pacnw. It's really cool to see how to do well against him. You do a really good job of keeping it fresh. I think that was the only set of yours that I did not see at the tournament.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Damn Axe, you are fearless. Good show. I like the fthrow jump>jump jolt you started using around the middle of the match. Happy birthday btw :)

Spyro

Smash Ace
Nice stuff Axe. Lol @ Bladewise getting salty and going back to dreamland, I still think that he would have gotten 3-0ed either way. <3 That Pikachu Axe :)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Peach's good stages are Dreamland, FoD, and FD.
But against Pika, Dreamland is less good for her because Pika also lives a lot longer.

I like to cp Battlefield though.
the ledges make peach mad.
also pokemanz, because she gets smacked and dies at like super early percent.
I never like yoshi's though.

N64

Smash Champion
Pokemon Stadium is probably my favorite CP vs peach. If not that, then FoD or Battlefield are fine.

I like FoD vs most Peaches because I can usually convince them for a few stocks that they want to be on or near the platforms. After the second or third time I get below her on a platform, duck her dsmash, and then usmash her, she starts to catch on. Or I can catch her with a dsmash of my own if she's below me while i'm on a side platform. I just like weird positional stuff with pikachu on FoD, and especially in this matchup I can hit Peach while she feels comfortable.

Dreamland is kinda rough in the matchup, it's my usual ban. It isn't so bad, as Pikachu can live forever, but killing Peach is just annoying on this stage. Usmash->thunder won't often kill or even connect, killing by knockback off the side is pretty unheard of, so you have to either get her to like 100% an usmash, or get a successful edgeguard which is tough. Getting behind against Peach on Dreamland suuuuuucks. You at least have a decent chance to come back on other stages.

The rest of the stages I don't like that much. Yoshi's is too small, FD just makes it too tough to approach Peach, and Battlefield is alright, I just generally prefer FoD over it.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Jc'ing is a basic and very a nessisary skill for playing Pikachu and just about every other character, but especially for Pikachu, Pikachu's dash grad is so bad lol.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
if you have trouble JC grabbing, you can also do it by hitting down before hitting Z, I think this is a little easier than JCing, because timing doesn't matter as much, since if you don't hit Z fast enough, you will just crouch.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm pretty sure you have to jc if you want to catch people di'ing to the side.

Meanwhile, MD/VA has yet another pika main o_O

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Lol not that much, I'm only saying 'yet another' because earlier I made a post about finding a pika player here.

1 - MooseEatsBear (the guy im talking about in that post, according to his youtube he's switching from falco)
2 - Some guy at my college who just started. Not too bad for a beginner though.
2.5 - Me I guess? Pika is more of a secondary than anything for me, although I'm sort of dual-maining him and Falco atm.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone though...

Spyro

Smash Ace
That's a lot for one state. I kind of wish Chad was still Tennessee so teach me about Pikachu / give me advise for my Pikachu. O well, Tennessee had one amazing Pikachu main that moved away, I guess that means I have a something to live up too (meaning I have to be just as amazing/ more amazing than Chad was :)).

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
How do you follow up with a usmash at low-mid % against a non-ffer in instances where you can't usmash them again? I always do combos into an usmash on a platform and feel lost after that because I end up with too much lag to have a guaranteed followup. Usually I fall through platform>uair or jump uair to cover either them falling or jumping, but they can occasionally hit me out of my jump uair if they do a falling aerial or something. Fall through platform>uair seems good to me because it keeps them above me but I usually lose my combo and gives them a good chance to escape that position.

Maybe I'll end with utilt instead and see if I can keep up the combo...

EDIT: Also, lately I've been using sh ff uair (so that the front hits and hits them behind you) a lot more and I've been getting pretty good luck. It usually forces a techchase scenario on the opponent even on floaties since it's not really expected.

N64

Smash Champion
Usually usmash is where combos end, but as you pointed out you can keep up the pressure. If you expect them to falling aerial you, you can just wait on the platform for a second then jump out and hit them as their aerial is ending. If you want something guaranteed, then probably just look for keeping positional advantage after that. Try to position yourself so that if the jump forwards afterwards they risk getting uair'd, if they jump back then you can move forward a little bit and give them little stage real estate to work with. If they land you can put yourself in a good position to approach again. Just make sure that after the combo you're in a spot that can keep the momentum on your side imo.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Ah alright then. I'll start experimenting with working utilt into combos then :bee:

Also, what's the breakdown of nair vs dair vs bair out of rising uair? I almost always dair out of rising uair because it has more knockback/damage (and sometimes at the right height it covers jumping out of hitstun and eats their 2nd jump), but sometimes nair can lead into another hit or two (albeit unreliably, for me at least). I've seen Axe do something like a rising uair through platform to a falling nair (sometimes dj'd, depends on height/character) so that he's grounded and prepared for another followup.

N64

Smash Champion
was playing dota 2 the other day and ran into someone with the tag Soju on the other team. But it wasn't you T-T.

dkuo: as far as options after rising uair, it depends a bit on the char I'm playing against. Fast fallers I'll usually just go for more uairs if they seem to be DIing in, nair/bair if they're DIing away (dair would do more, but nair/bair comes out faster so I can keep it ambiguous as to whether I'll nair/bair or uair to not give them time to adjust their DI). Vs most other chars it's a combination of what will actually hit them (on floaties once you can't connect dair after uair anymore, you can just nair before they float out), and then positional advantage if I have multiple options.

Nair generally will give you a better position afterwards, especially if you want to do like rising uair, double jump, nair but start it above the opponent and fastfall into them so the knockback is greatly decreased, then dash towards them to threaten usmash or another aerial (or maybe a techchase on fastfallers). Similarly there was what you were talking about with using platforms to help, since nair has less landing lag than your other options so you can aerial just as you land on a platform and follow up easier.

Also with the starting animation on dair, I'll be a little worried against some chars that have good quick aerials, especially if I have to also spend a little extra time to position dair so that it will hit after the uair. For instance, dair can be kinda risky against say Luigi, because if you give him any time at all between when uair hitstun ends and your aerial connects, you're getting nair'd. So i'll usually play it safe and go with nair/bair finishers, or possibly try to bait out his nair by staying just out of range when he gets out of hitstun, then going for another spaced uair or something.

I'll use fair occasionally when I want them to stay in place for whatever reason, but this is pretty rare. You can sometimes get like, rising uair, double jump slightly backwards, fair through them (as you're moving downwards and slightly backwards), then uair spike afterwards. Or I can rising uair, then dj ff fair onto a platform, and try to usmash/fsmash/something them as they try to jump out or land with an aerial or something. This is similar to the falling nair example earlier, and falling nair is arguably better for this, but I like the possibility of stealing their jump after fair, or just using fair in general.

But I really like dair. If it looks like I can hit with it, I'll almost always follow a rising uair with dair. The knockback is great, which gets the opponent closer to the edge. The damage is decent, which helps because Pikachu doesn't do damage. You can potentially squeeze out a little more damage with other options, but dair is pretty reliable.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Axe your so brave, I would have gone to my Fox if I were in your position, Pikachu vs Sheik is such a hard match up for Pikachu and M2K is so good, good stuff Axe.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
lol the comments on that video.

really solid set from both of you! although I was surprised that m2k didn't run-off fair at 1:27.

the only time i ever went pika against m2k went horribly lol. i plan to do it more :D

EDIT: Thanks N64 :)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Ah alright then. I'll start experimenting with working utilt into combos then :bee:

Also, what's the breakdown of nair vs dair vs bair out of rising uair? I almost always dair out of rising uair because it has more knockback/damage (and sometimes at the right height it covers jumping out of hitstun and eats their 2nd jump), but sometimes nair can lead into another hit or two (albeit unreliably, for me at least). I've seen Axe do something like a rising uair through platform to a falling nair (sometimes dj'd, depends on height/character) so that he's grounded and prepared for another followup.
You can do rising uair to falling nair without jump on spacies until ~90. The nair is weak enough to combo another rising uair until ~35 on fox and less on falco and falcon. Dair is more of a late stock tool, when there's more hitstun from uair. Nair is my personal favorite of the three, and the next being bair and dair, although I'm not sure if that's the best order. I dislike the lag associated with bair and dair, and I find nair to be much more versatile, even if there is less knockback.

Thunder is guaranteed on mid-late percents on anything that doesn't DI. If they do DI, depending on their aerial mobility, it's a techchase.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Axe makes me want to try Pikachu again...
though, I've done that a bunch of times before...
he feels so weird to me.
Because he's almost Pichu, but not quite.
Its very weird to play as him.
I find it easier to play characters that are nothing like Pichu, because then pichu habits don't come out.
Pika is hella fun too, but he's so fat and has no walljump .-.

Top Bottom