• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

N64

Smash Champion
Pika vs Sheik is one of my favorite matchups. Not even trolling. Pika punishes shiek sooooo hard. I'm with ya Jolteon.

Just don't get grabbed! :D

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
sheik is a low tier character's 1st or 2nd worst MU? no way

p.s.
soju
dat ***
i'm comin for it

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Jeff, I know this is counterproductive to Pikachu, but:

As Pikachu versus Falco, what are things you find difficult to deal with? I'm still struggling to get the Falco vs Pikachu match up down pat. I can solidly beat Brian and Rob's mains, but their Pikachu's beat me maybe 80% of the time. I really hate how different the dynamics of the match up is, and how jumping near Pikachu is basically death for the silly bird.

Jolteon

Pika vs Sheik is one of my favorite matchups. Not even trolling. Pika punishes shiek sooooo hard. I'm with ya Jolteon.

Just don't get grabbed! :D
Finally, someone else understands!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941

As Pikachu versus Falco, what are things you find difficult to deal with? I'm still struggling to get the Falco vs Pikachu match up down pat. I can solidly beat Brian and Rob's mains, but their Pikachu's beat me maybe 80% of the time. I really hate how different the dynamics of the match up is, and how jumping near Pikachu is basically death for the silly bird.
Dairs :p
and Falco can combo teh floaties too...

if you're falco just stay on the stage, if Pika gets you off stage (especially bellow the ledge) it seems to be a death.

try to to upB back to the stage if you can, UpB is an easy f-smash or something.
remember you have a wall jump, that can be confusing and ruin edgeguarding.

these are just things I've noticed from my experience playing against falco, I'm sure other people could give you better advise.

AXE 09

Smash Master

Well you should already know. You beat me in tournament.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

Well you should already know. You beat me in tournament.
Only because for some reason you couldn't edgeguard me, then for whatever reason you decided not to upsmash me.

The only thing I really know about the match up is that pika ***** falco from above and behind pika, and that pika recovers like sheik.

oukd

Smash Lord
Yes, also you can actually catch people in multiple jabs before the reset happens if they miss a tech at early percentages. Try doing it on a computer first with an uthrow/dthrow (depending on their fall speed)>rapid A

Cia

das kwl
I unstuck that top pikachu players thread because it was ridiculously outdated (like '07 or something..)

Anyway, It isn't completely necessary, but if any of you guys have the time and could manage a Pikachu player finder, then a top players list would fit in with that.

soju

SD God
o-o heya guys, been a lil bit, just got off vacation. Due to money and friend issues I'm not signed up for Genesis II but i will be there for friendlies and that MM with TAI so no worries, btw how much is the MM, i forgot? XD

Mad J

Smash Cadet
How is the icy's matchup for pika. i looked at the pika matchup guide and its pretty old. I know alot of it still applies but i know some of the matchup's has changed.

I played my friends icy's and all i seem to do that work was bait a grab near the ledge and try to gimp one of them. and if i tried to split them up i would usually just get nana and then popo would just grab me and then i would get chain grab till the other one comes back.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
o-o heya guys, been a lil bit, just got off vacation. Due to money and friend issues I'm not signed up for Genesis II but i will be there for friendlies and that MM with TAI so no worries, btw how much is the MM, i forgot? XD
HI SOJU. *anxiously awaits videos of anything*

Also what kind of money issues? Want me to cover you when I go sign up?

soju

SD God
XD, its mainly friend issues, after a couple of events ive gotten a bit disheartened in melee and I know I'm in no shape for Genesis atm. And the fact I'd be broke if i went :[
Ill start uploading the videos sunday after im all settled in

soju

SD God
XD dont worry, i finally got over it and should be getting off a month hiatus of melee, ill be way too rusty though and wont be able to get back to decent shape before genesis, especially since ill be busy with military, job searching, and school

oukd

Smash Lord
Doesn't that just make it easier for them to SDI out?
Yes, but I think you can expect/react to it before they get back up since you're going to jab them 'out' to begin with - they'll end up in the same location doing the reset animation whether they SDI out or not, and there's enough frames during the reset for you to follow up with something else. Only at low %'s though...

It adds an extra 10% if you manage to do it, but I haven't actually tried it in a match yet. I just thought it was worth noting that it was possible...

EDIT: Actually, it's probably really easy to SDI/ASDI up out of it, I was thinking of SDI/ASDI-ing left/right...I dunno, I'm not very knowledgable about SDI'ing jab resets. I still think it's doable at least once or twice during a match, it's not very easy to react to imo since it's still really quick, and I don't think people are as prepared to SDI a reset if it's from a missed tech...are they? Argh, now I'm confused...

Jolteon

Yes, but I think you can expect/react to it before they get back up since you're going to jab them 'out' to begin with - they'll end up in the same location doing the reset animation whether they SDI out or not, and there's enough frames during the reset for you to follow up with something else. Only at low %'s though...

It adds an extra 10% if you manage to do it, but I haven't actually tried it in a match yet. I just thought it was worth noting that it was possible...

EDIT: Actually, it's probably really easy to SDI/ASDI up out of it, I was thinking of SDI/ASDI-ing left/right...I dunno, I'm not very knowledgable about SDI'ing jab resets. I still think it's doable at least once or twice during a match, it's not very easy to react to imo since it's still really quick, and I don't think people are as prepared to SDI a reset if it's from a missed tech...are they? Argh, now I'm confused...
if they sdi then they'll pop up in the air and won't reset at all, then they can do stuff <_< it's basically the best thing they can do if they expect a jab reset, and multiple jabs means they can react to one of the later jabs to sdi out. I just wasn't 100% sure if chu's jab was sdi'able lol.

N64

Smash Champion
How is the icy's matchup for pika. i looked at the pika matchup guide and its pretty old. I know alot of it still applies but i know some of the matchup's has changed.

I played my friends icy's and all i seem to do that work was bait a grab near the ledge and try to gimp one of them. and if i tried to split them up i would usually just get nana and then popo would just grab me and then i would get chain grab till the other one comes back.
Icies pika is pretty bad. It's not unwinnable, but it is one of those matchups where you can't get grabbed. Getting grabbed at any percent over like 10% should mean death if the Icies are decent. Try to stay in the air a lot and if at all possible try to split the Icies up, it makes them a lot less scary (especially if you can gimp Nana). Baiting grabs is fine, just gotta be super careful about it. Big risk, big reward.

It's one of Pika's worst matchups, but definately winnable.

soju

SD God
dsmash be dangerous against grab characters yo :B

*my advice for IC would to go Yoshi Story or Battlefield and abuse the platforms

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol with Pichu if I'm facing ICs I stay on the platforms then Agility somewhere whenever they try to get me or something.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I kinda hate the IC match up and I don't really know it that well so I just camp with jolts and occasionally run in with a nair through them and run away and try to get some percent while avoiding grabs and wavesmashes.

Mad J

Smash Cadet
Sweet thanks for the help. I think i just gotta work on not being so aggressive against icy's. I seem to get grabbed alot more. Im going to watch more matches too.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
we never agreed on an amount.

umm, whoever asked about pika/ICs...
popo can chaingrab pikachu, so pretty much ICs have an extra-devastating punish on pikachu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTkzdnYl32g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZU8oXL2TA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Tju-DFDPc

soju

SD God
well i apologize since I'm hecka rusty/salty at the moment so not too much, nothing over 10$ pwease x3
I'm probably gonna get whooped, so I'll probably try and get a rematch sometime in the future when I'm not sucking so badly ^^

soju

SD God
lulz :3 but tis true, i havent played any games in the last month, and my mind is too filled with work to be focused on anything this month =w= let alone genesis

I also like my 100 dollar bills, they be all crisp and cleansly >:B

soju

SD God
pshh his 100 $ bills arent as sexified and superific as mine, taking his 100$ will cross contaminate leading to mutant 100$ bills D:

Top Bottom