• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

-Chad-

Slackerator
basically what I was saying is that it's really really hard to safely approach Falco since he mostly out prioritizes a lot of pika's moves and a well timed laser can shut you down on top of leaving you completely open to attack. So my basic strat is to just position myself as well as possible where I can't get combo'd easy, and to where Falco feels you're too close to laser.

Try to make him do unsafe things. Most players aren't used to Pika and don't know where is or isn't safe from him so you gotta fish for those scenarios to put him out of position and take advantage of it. A lot of pika's game is taking momentum and running with it since he can't really straight up fight a lot of the better characters >_>

argh. This pika talk makes me want to smash more... I'm trying to quiiiit.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Well, I mostly play the Falco side of the matchup and when Pika gets into that semi-scary zone, I tend to just put my back to him and try to time utilt vs. whatever he does since Falco's utilt is stupid as **** and pretty thoroughly outranges Pikachu's entire moveset.

AXE 09

Smash Master
you know what's lame?

THIS is lame -_-

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265332

but... whatever. if that vid wins just because of that, then i won't be too worried about it. it's just lame when you take the fun out of it like that. seriously, wtf. scar's vid was AMAZING, but it shouldn't win because people are being paid to vote for something

I'm trying to quiiiit.
WHAT! Chad! NoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

why?!?!?!? you're one of my most favorite smashers ='(

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
but... whatever. if that vid wins just because of that, then i won't be too worried about it. it's just lame when you take the fun out of it like that. seriously, wtf. scar's vid was AMAZING, but it shouldn't win because people are being paid to vote for something
wow, I guess there is a mafia forming on smashboards? Wish I could vote 10 times for you axe

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
Probably something to ***** votes for IKMII, (which has STAGED combos!)
***** = swing? lol

and thats so gay, like I wasn't super into the competition, but cheating is a pet peave, and staging combos is bad enough, and bribery is worse than chaingrabbing pika with shiek

edit: nice sig btw

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
Wow...is scar actually allowing this?

Pretty low if so.

Axe's combo vid is amazing, I mean...it is what made me pick up pika once again.

AXE 09

Smash Master
i know how you feel :(
we black people need to combine our powers together!

EDIT: omg TresChikon, you made that thread for me? dude, you're the greatest!!! <3333

EDIT:EDIT: I.B., i freakin love teen titans lol. red X is so tight

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I've heard so many people say things like that when they get to a certain point in smash. It's just a mental thing, you got this guys! :)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
so... i seem to be at that stage where you feel like you can't get any better, no matter how much you practice ='(
I remember feeling like that [specifically with Ness, that is, but I wasn't all that great overall at Melee at the time...hopefully the advice might still apply]...

S.imna basically just told me to switch it up for a while.

Switch it up and use different characters [like HELLA different characters...had me using Samus/DK/Marth/Falcon, among others] for a while...like for real...suggested really trying to be good with those characters and only use them instead of your mains for a bit [like a week or two if you play every day]...which is to say: don't even play your mains at all!

when you come back to them your head will be relatively clear of any ruts you may have fallen into or any patterns that you may have unconsciously been stuck on that were limiting you...

you'll be refreshed [and you'll know a bit more about some other characters, too]

...just a thought :)

also, @ I.B. - you shut your wh0re mouth! you're mad good =D

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol well the thing is, i've already been in this stage before. this is the second time it's happening. but i mean seriously... i feel like i'm at the exact same skill level that i was at like 5 months ago, and i play almost every day

i keep telling myself that it's just a phase, and i'll eventually get through it, but it's been going on for quite some time now =/ ugh. taking a break from pika might give me results, but..... i don't wanna! this is pikachu we're talking about lol

I.B

Smash Lord
toasty this mouth will only be shut once i get my nachos *****!!

Axe change your smashboards user name to Axe 2010 now :)

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol! i guess you're right, it's no longer 09 haha. but i gotta represent my graduation year :p

i'm gonna try super hard to try to go to Apex

toasty

Smash Hero
seriously man...get a box and label it "APEX" and start puttin money in!!!

like a dollar or two a day + any change you might accumulate...

for real though...think about the things you might spend money on daily...a soda here and there that you really never needed...or maybe even an energy drink that you had just because...and LOL if you go to Starbucks every day! that's like $3-$5 a DAY you could be saving!

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
lol well the thing is, i've already been in this stage before. this is the second time it's happening. but i mean seriously... i feel like i'm at the exact same skill level that i was at like 5 months ago, and i play almost every day

i keep telling myself that it's just a phase, and i'll eventually get through it, but it's been going on for quite some time now =/ ugh. taking a break from pika might give me results, but..... i don't wanna! this is pikachu we're talking about lol
dude, so not true. let me think, 5 months ago was....september. I'm not gonna lie, and you may have some negative feelings about me after I tell you this, but back in the summer I didn't think you were that great, I felt you were an undisputed #2 right under chad, but I felt that you were just some pika with a million fan boys who ignored any other pika. I knew you were better than me though, so no disrespect. In fact I did watch vids of you even though I felt you weren't the best pika at all. I think once Pat's house happened was when I finally came around to thinking you were as good or possibly the best pika.

you 5 months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDEoLGiTPc

you now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ2pk-JEs-c

do you honestly think you haven't improved, I commented on the dr pee pee one, you played that match near flawlessly, like I didn't see a situation where you should have done something instead (I'm no top pika though) Like, I think the pika in that 2nd video would have 3 or 4 stocked that falco in the first video.

Also, what toasty said about playing different characters, it will help you so much. Like play captain falcon, and fox, you'll prolly end up being a better pika for it, like fox helped my shuffles, and falcon helped my tech chase and punishing rolls game. And putting pika down for a few weeks won't do any harm, just make sure to come back to him. He won't even know you cheated on him, just tell him your going on a business trip, and don't get too attached to those dirty high and top tiers, they are dirty ya know

much love man(no homo)

N64

Smash Champion
Axe:

use fair more. It's amazing. I swear single hop fair->uair is fantastic and i have no idea why i haven't seen other pikas use it more often.

toasty

Smash Hero
N64: you haven't seen it because I don't record my Pika anymore XD

but no really I love using fair! I just gotta be smarter about it...

I started playing Falcon a LOT more recently because I concluded "If I can be really good with Falcon...like REALLY ****ing good with him...then I'd have to be REALLY good at Melee." Seriously though, playing him at a top level teaches you a lot of lessons that can be applied with amazing results to a lot of other characters.

...it'll also help you avoid being grabbed >_>

only downside to playing lots of Falcon is that you'll want to moonwalk with EVERYONE ALL. THE. TIME.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
that's like $3-$5 a DAY you could be spending on travelling for smash!
fixed :chuckle:

only downside to playing lots of Falcon is that you'll want to moonwalk with EVERYONE ALL. THE. TIME.
LOL

And AXE, don't forget about BC Plays Melee. I'm apparently in charge of housing you if you come to that! Don't want to miss you there! :p

But yeah, picking up other characters is a great way to get out of a rut. I could probably list 20 players over the last year that have been in 'ruts' and the ones that got out quickest did so while playing another character. Even Falcons get in ruts and still moonwalk! LOL

N64

Smash Champion
hey N64 um couldn't one just jump out of nair you? I tryed so many ways and couldn't get it to be a legit combo.
Not sure you're understanding then. Works best on ganon. Catch ganon just as he jumps, jump towards him and start the fair so it goes for about a quarter second before hitting him. Once the fair hits, you should be barely descending from the peak of your jump. Fair should end as pika is passing through Ganon. Don't jump again, just uair. Lcancel. Turn around. Do it again : )

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
wow, its kinda sad a combo video with staged combos, and bribed votes won that competition. Your still my favorite axe for what its worth
I still sorta refuse to believe that the whole bribed votes thing played any part in it... Hax might've paid like $5-10 for 5-10 votes. It's grimy and stupid and I can't blame anyone for holding that against Hax, but that's under the margin of victory so it's ultimately irrelevant and shouldn't be held against scar or his video.

EDIT: and the staged combo thing is blown out of proportion. iirc, there were two staged combos, one of which I see Scar do routinely. besides, it's just entertainment, I don't see why the staging is that big of a deal to people.

and frankly, the way it was brought up was pretty dirty.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think he said that so you would riot and make axes number 1. I doubt it i've only seen one combo video I thought was staged and it was a samus one.

Top Bottom