• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Cinnanmonny

Smash Cadet
Uh.. Prediction and patience. Just think honestly. I never had a problem with killing because I never focused on killing and losing my concentration. If I know someone is going to land in a certain spot use a smash there. A lot of times people run into dsmash. People land into upsmashes and land next to forward smashes. Sometimes you can try and go for a dthrow to dsmash or a dthrow to a tech fsmash/usmash. Or maybe jabs to fsmash. After awhile it's just natural.
most of the things you mentioned really don't work that well
good players know to look out for a lot of those things
I try to predict people but most people don't leave themselves open anyways
I think I need to recognize more opportunities

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
you're too impatient when trying to learn how to play patient
get what i mean? lmao

you expect yourself to know this right away,it taaaakes time

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
XD Heheh, Penta. But yeah!!

The issue is that you're LOOKING for an opening and you're getting too caught up and just going for it. Honestly, calm down and wait. Sometimes I try and go for kills, too. And it messes me up. Fortunately I have people who usually tell me to calm down and stop because they notice it during my matches. You can land kills. Patience is sooo great in Smash. I placed top ten at my tournament yesterday with just that mind set. Just let the kills come to you. A lot of players have a habit of doing things over and over. Prediction. If Falco likes to over B across the stage every time he knocked off stage them knock him off and usmash when he tries to get on. He's dead. If someone lands and shields you know you can grab them and dthrow them and try and tech them to a smash or dsmash. Or what I do sometimes if someone likes to land and shield I'll jab their shield and fsmash them because sometimes they drop it after that. It's just predicting and patience. That's Brawl.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Ok guys I'm going to MLG and my wii started working so it's time to practice. I was wondering If kewl, kaak, utd, penta, or today could give me some tips on the snake match up. 20 posts kids don't bother replying to this.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
From UTD himself.
Play carefully aggressive. The trick is to learn which approaches are safe and which ones aren't. You can't afford to make mistakes in this matchup. Once you have the snake at lethal percent, you'll want to kill him by getting him in the air and forcing him back down to the ground. Then execute a well timed smash during that 2-4 frame window when he lands back on the ground. It takes practice, but that's what I do.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Hum... I was wondering if there was a way to setup for wind hitbox kills. Like upB, or uAir. Which level got a low vertical boudary? I want to try finding some more applications.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Ok guys I'm going to MLG and my wii started working so it's time to practice. I was wondering If kewl, kaak, utd, penta, or today could give me some tips on the snake match up. 20 posts kids don't bother replying to this.
:( Sigh. Personally I need help with this as well. I think mainly because we have a top Snake player here and it hurts so much when fighting him. Snake will camp you so you have to approach. Only place I can beat a Snake is on RC sadly. Although I beat someone's Snake on GGs (when I CP they picked Snake.) But wasn't nearly as good as one of the Snake's here. I don't know what to say really. But I got knocked out by him and a Snake secondary on Halberd. :urg: Best thing I can say is be careful. Snakes are smart but I guess you have to try and outsmart them? I honestly don't know and need help vs. Snake, too. I just know what Snake can do vs. GnW matchup but not the other way around. But I know if you bucket near his dsmash the explosion will go away without taking any damage and you can be somewhat far from it. And of course you can P.shield it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've been playing the Snake matchup a LOT, and maybe it's just because I have learned my friend in and out, but my G&W goes at least even with his Snake, while he beats me about 70% of the time when I use other characters.

Snake gets most annoying if he knows when to grenade shieldgrab, but otherwise you should rush him down with grabs when he's grenade camping. It's also important to learn to space your aerials so that they don't set off his grenades.

If he F-tilts your shield, you can F-air/B-air out of shield against the 2nd hit. If you're REALLY close to him when he F-tilts, you can shieldgrab him out of the first hit.

If you D-throw him when you're at a KO percent, I find that Snake likes to deliberately tech in place and U-tilt you for the kill. Watch out for that, since his U-tilt I believe comes out before you can buffer D-smash. What I like doing in case Snake doesn't tech is D-throw -> Dash attack, which does a nice chunk of damage. Otherwise, you can own him all day by throwing him upwards and doing U-airs.

You really can't overlook the potential to kill Snake when he's on the edge. If you shield his getup attack, you can Up-smash out of shield to punish it (using tap jump, but you can drop shield F-smash/D-smash as well).

Oh yeah and edgeguard his Up-B with Judgement, which is more likely to kill him than your F-air lol.

Noraa

Smash Lord
In my eyes the only way to win this mu is to get him in the air, i space bair like no tomorrow and dig in the shield and when they finally pop into the air you have the ****.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hum... I was wondering if there was a way to setup for wind hitbox kills. Like upB, or uAir. Which level got a low vertical boudary? I want to try finding some more applications.
I got an awesome uair kill on RC the other day. At the end of the level when you're falling back down to the ship make sure the opponent is to the left and above you and spam Nair>Uair or just Uair, try to get them clipped on the platforms and get left behind.

Oh yeah I ALSO got another awesome kill when a D3 was Up-bing onto the swinging platform with the yellow droppable platforms above it. I uair'd him so he hit his head on the yellow platforms and fell helplessly to his doom. That was cool. If you wanna get cool Uair and Up=B kills RC is the stage to do it, I love that **** stage. Took a ZSS there and I actually felt like I was cheating as she desperately threw her tether around. But that isn't particularly Uair related.

As far as Snake goes I always try to force myself under him. Uairs and I only Uthrow (or side throws). Nairs from under and rising fairs are what I use. Retreating bair for snakedashes and stuff like that. It's gonna be hard trying not to set off all his dumb explosives. Up-B when he d-throws. All the ones I play recover high so I don't think you'll get many chances to strut your stuff off-stage so don't even try to reach him when he's recovering high, you're wasting time that you could be using to make his trip back to the stage hellish. Hope I didn't state the obvious. it's 5am, I need sleep.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Okay, thanks for some of your experience with RC SmileyFace. I'll try RC as a CP stage. Just need to be careful.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but if you dash attack the edge when MK tries to UpB,SideB, or DownB to grab the ledge, the hitbox will hit him before he can grab the ledge. However, the timing has to be very precise. If it works, it'll stage spike.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Hey! i'm going to bring Mr. Game and Watch to a higher place on the tier list!!! The tourny is this Saturday! any advice!? I've got mad plans sons!!! teehee Watch for a FL Game and Watch!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Read my topic on what separates the good G&Ws from the bad ones.

Seriously. Do it.

If that is tl:dr for you, then...

*3rd hit of N-air combos into D-smash on everyone. To space it, SH and N-air at the apex of SH. Or do fullhop B-air -> N-air.
*D-throw -> Instant Dash Attack and D-throw -> F-tilt are awesome. Especially D-throw -> Dash Attack
*lrn2edgeguard with all moves. Don't be an idiot against MK and slowfall D-air him until the move actually hits him.
*Shield ledge attack -> free Smash out of shield. Including Up-smash btw (use tap jump)
*D-tilts from platforms hit tall characters on BF. This is an amazing way to edgeguard and will force a lot of edgerolls

I know a lot more, but you probably will have to ask me questions about specific matchups.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I'm having a hard time consistently buffering Dash Attack out of Down Throw. 30% of the time I do Dsmash. It's annoying. Any tips? =P

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly to D-throw Dash Attack, just relax when doing it. Don't try to hit it as early as possible. You have a huge frame window to successfully pull it off, enough that I believe you can successfully do it on reaction whether they try to land behind you or not.

Also you have to actually wait a bit when doing it against heavy characters, so as I was saying, don't try to hit that combo too early.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
That happens with me sometimes except I f-tilt instead. No need to do it instantly; it'll hit. Just hit over when you start a dash. I use to hit over too fast to the point where a dash doesn't start and thus an ftilt. But just watch out for the dash before putting out its attack. Once you do it over and over you'll get the timing right automatically.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Everyone knows how to do that, the main thing is that if you do it too early, most people will end up getting a D-smash to come out.

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
I managed a double up-b, not sure how. i used uair and hit after using up b, if this helps. any1 got any ideas?
ill get a vid up as soon as i can.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You probably either traded with a weak attack and mashed up B out of hitstun, or did that weird glitch on the ledge that refreshes your up b and double jump.

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
You probably either traded with a weak attack and mashed up B out of hitstun, or did that weird glitch on the ledge that refreshes your up b and double jump.
yeah, i was pretty close to a ledge (pkmn stadium 2), thx for clearing that up.
also, does any1 no a failsafe way to airwalk off an edge??

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
yeah, i was pretty close to a ledge (pkmn stadium 2), thx for clearing that up.
also, does any1 no a failsafe way to airwalk off an edge??
Oh, no, in that case, it's possible you got hit by a windbox. Mr. Game and Watch's up B refreshes if attacked by a windbox.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hey guys, what do you think about us outrunning an MK? We're pretty mobile, and MK has a low air speed although he still has his jumps and nado and glides and stuff, we've got better air mobility and Up-B and dair, think we could do it? or it it just impossible?

and we can punish nado and glides with Uair, forgot to mention. I dunno I can just imagine us managing it, but my wii isn't on I can't realistically look at it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you're expecting him to glide or Nado, you should be on the ground waiting for it. Then you do whatever you need to do.

Judo777

Smash Master
hey guys im not a gw player but i use him sometimes for fun me and my buddies always joke about bacon to 9 hammer being a legit combo but im not even joking it works more than u think. Lob a single piece of bacon after a short or full hop then if it gonna hit em try and judgement it. I dont think they can spotdodge both and if they block it u should be pretty safe. Not to mention if its a 5 hammer they drop their shield early. I get people with it all the time people dont take bacon seriously lol

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Nado is VERY escapable for G&W. If you're careful, you can dodge right out of it... or you can carefully not dodge and hope to escape before the last hit. And G&W, unlike 90% of everybody, can actually hurt MK thereafter.

I love that about him.

My question:
Where is absolutely everything on Game & Watch's Jab?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Frame data topic (stickied).

Hit Advantages:
+1: Diddy, Shiek, Metaknight, Fox, Falco, Wolf, C. Falcon, Squirtle
+2: Mario, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, Link, Ganon, Samus, ZSS, IC, Kirby, Olimar, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Sonic
+3: Luigi, DK, Zelda, Toon Link, Pit, Ivysaur, Marth, Ness, G&W, Snake
+4: Dedede, Jigglypuff

Publix

Smash Apprentice
OMG i love the G&W boards! thanks! i did good. got out to peaches, but that shnizznoff wont happen again! lol. trust me, i learned how to beat them, plus my friends can pick up characters very quickly. lol

I'm a psych major, so i know some shnizznoff with G&W that can be applied in tournies. Some stuff is applicable to all characters. i got a bunch of little things, so yeah. Hit me up. and check this crazyness, if anyone wants to step into a hyperbolic time chamber in florida, my teammate is one of the top 3 Ike's in the U.S. Sorry for mindgaming you guys by saying that i don't believe that he is the Top Ike in the world!! hee hee. We are waiting for a bigger tourny/ more practice lol. and for him to get a freaking job! seriously my friends need some cash/jobs, but i got them on the love!!! lol

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I recently tried to just shield G&Ws B-air. That didn't work so well. I tried to clank it with my F-smash. That didn't work so well either. So my questions are thus:

How do I deal with G&W's B-air? How much priority is it packing?!

Cinnanmonny

Smash Cadet
I've been trying and trying but I can't tech G&Ws Dthrow with G&W. -_-

Whats the timing for it?
Any tips for teching it with G&W?

~NoTrace
G&W makes like 4 beeps and then he throws you
time the teach in between the 4th beep and when he throws you
I'm pretty sure... It didn't work for me at first but then I timed it a little earlier and now I can do it 100% of the time offline

Top Bottom