• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
Personally, i do all my boost smash & gattling combo with the C-Stick BUT i prefer use the A button instead of the c-stick for the reverse boost grab.

Try this guy : Dash > A > Z + Back

Good luck.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Personally, i do all my boost smash & gattling combo with the C-Stick BUT i prefer use the A button instead of the c-stick for the reverse boost grab.

Try this guy : Dash > A > Z + Back

Good luck.
In my experience, this is the easiest way to do it. You're almost pressing A and Z at the same time, so you can get it real consistently.

It works great for anyone who hasn't removed the spring from their R button.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i guess i'll just keep at it guys. Thanks to all. By the way, what's a buffered dash? Is that just like a dash as soon as falco hits the ground from a dthrow? Or is it something else?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Fix'd.

10normalpivotgrabs.
Psh, it's such a split second difference. Normal pivot grabs don't even connect on the CG, so I wouldn't be making that mistake. Oh well.
Play Melee.

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
1. What are Silent lasers useful for?

2. When is it better to SHL rather than SHDL?

3. Should you ever save bair for the kill?

J4pu

Smash Champion
1. What are Silent lasers useful for?

2. When is it better to SHL rather than SHDL?

3. Should you ever save bair for the kill?
1. Silent lasers are the optimal timing for your final aerial laser for each jump and gives you the maximum advantage because immediately after you shoot the laser you can do whatever you want, whereas if it isn't silent you still have time left before you hit the ground and then can do anything.

2. A) If you SHDL all the time then when your opponent sees the first one coming they know another one is coming and can easily power shield it. By mixing in SHL's it keeps your lasers unpredictable.
B) If your opponent is somewhat close to you and you jump and press B to shoot your first laser, you are now vulnerable until you hit the ground and your opponent knows that so if they can rush in under you there's nothing you can do. By SHL'ing in this situation it keeps your opponent guessing whether you will use an aerial attack or a laser, and if your opponent starts rushing in when you jump you are able to use an aerial rather than be vulnerable because you shot that first laser for SHDL.

3. Depends on too many things to give a straight answer. Ex. playstyle, situation, etc.

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
I've some questions :
1) How do you use the Ftilt ? Personally I use this move sometimes after a SHL / SHDL or if the opponent are too offensive.

2) Jab (x1) cancel to grab is an awesome setup to a grab against slow character like Ganon, Snake, Ike .. but my opponent escape very often my jab with some character like MK, ZSS, Fox... I'm so predictable ?

3) How do you use Dtilt. This move is so laggy for me.

4) When do you use Dsmash ? I use often Usmash in opposition to the Dsmash.

Thanks !

Juan Luis Sandoval

Smash Rookie
Hey I dont understand how can you short hop really good. I am tired of the large jump. Can anyone give me some tip to make the short hop more easy

J4pu

Smash Champion
I've some questions :
1) How do you use the Ftilt ? Personally I use this move sometimes after a SHL / SHDL or if the opponent are too offensive.

2) Jab (x1) cancel to grab is an awesome setup to a grab against slow character like Ganon, Snake, Ike .. but my opponent escape very often my jab with some character like MK, ZSS, Fox... I'm so predictable ?

Thanks !
1. I use it as SH(D)L follow-up like you said if the spacing is right, and I also use it for safe shield pressure, since its long range avoids being shield grabbed and it's very little after-lag avoids follow-up punishment

2. From my experience, some people have set things in mind when somebody tries to Jab-cancel and some don't. Try it out once or twice, if it doesn't work against somebody then you'll have to find another way to grab. [Anytime I jab cancel against one of my friends he rolls backwards, EVERYTIME, so keep your eyes open for punishable habits]

3. Dtilt is highly situational, I used to (and very rarely still do) Jab cancel > Dtilt. I believe the only redeeming qualities we've found for it is that it can shield poke feet fairly quickly.

4. Dsmash comes out quicker than Usmash I think (could be wrong). At kill percents I will occasionally spot dodge > Dsmash. Dsmash is actually something I need to stop using so much because I get punished if I miss, so it just depends what works for you.

I've some questions :

Thanks !
1: Using Ftilt out of the blue when properly spaced is a good option to avoid shield grabbing, when not you can also jab to ftilt. Out of SHL/SHDL is good idea too.

2: Jab to Grab is escapeable depending on the character. Floaty people or ones with quick aerials can escape a jab to grab combo. So normally one can expect you to jab to grab, you just have to mix it up a bit to keep them guessing. Throw in some jab x2 to infinite A sometimes to mess people up.

3: Dtilt is situational. Often times it is not used and just for a mix it up move. Although it can set up for some spikes at early %s although as far as I know dtilt to dair is avoidable.

4: Normally is used when someone is directly behind you and you have just avoided an attack that has some decent lag. Apart from that I normally do not use it. Others can tell you other situations.

Hey I dont understand how can you short hop really good. I am tired of the large jump. Can anyone give me some tip to make the short hop more easy
Tilt jumping on takes time getting used to, but does have some benefits such as a quicker JCUS from OoS. Just get used to pressing your jump button for not as long.

Don't jump with the stick.
Just push quikly the jump button (Y/X).
Training and training. That's not hard. =)
Again there are some areas where you would want to use the tilt jump.

Nvm my post then. I got there late and listen to J4pu.

I have a few questions regarding out of chaingrab type stuff:

1)Dair is pretty much unavoidable on everyone after a Dthrow that is under 40%. Except those that can escape like marth's UpB.

2)What is pretty much the universal lowest % one can connect both hits from the DACUS on everyone from a Dthrow?

3) When starting a dash, does one have to have a slight delay before they input the command for the SH Dair or Pivot Boost Grab. I find often that I end up doing a stutter step into backwards Fsmash or a regular pivot grab. With the SH I end up just jumping in place and not getting the dash animation at all.

4) Does anyone have any precise info for framedata for the difference between time from shielding to dropping to an upsmash from the cstick and that vs shield to JCUS?

J4pu

Smash Champion
Nvm my post then. I got there late and listen to J4pu.

I have a few questions regarding out of chaingrab type stuff:

1)Dair is pretty much unavoidable on everyone after a Dthrow that is under 40%. Except those that can escape like marth's UpB.

2)What is pretty much the universal lowest % one can connect both hits from the DACUS on everyone from a Dthrow?

3) When starting a dash, does one have to have a slight delay before they input the command for the SH Dair or Pivot Boost Grab. I find often that I end up doing a stutter step into backwards Fsmash or a regular pivot grab. With the SH I end up just jumping in place and not getting the dash animation at all.

4) Does anyone have any precise info for framedata for the difference between time from shielding to dropping to an upsmash from the cstick and that vs shield to JCUS?
Double post ftl

1. not a question

2. I believe you meant highest % (which I don't know). Lowest % would be 0

3. Try a different input for the pivot grab (I use Dash > Cstick down > backwards + Grab). If you use A in place of Cstick you will (pivot) Fsmash unless you wait a sec. Even for Cstick method I have found it easier to do if you wait just a tad but I believe it is still possible to do it instantly

4. shield drop takes 7 frames, JC Usmash done perfectly is therefore 6 or 7 frames quicker than shield drop to buffered Usmash. [While shielding I tap up on Analog stick then immediately tap up on Cstick]. If you want the exact amount of frames for it to come out, search 3GOD's frame data and add 1 frame to normal Usmash for shielded JC Usmash and 7 frames for the shield drop one.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Denzi, Vlade, Hyo, Crystal, Teran17, louis debou, and pure awesome. I think i finally got the hang of the boost pivot grab! Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!

Still there must be some good uses that could be set up with the grab release such it is unexpected and therefore might work. Jab > Grab is not guranteed, but it is still viable a lot of the time.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I dont think he has any. As far as I remember there was a thread discussing that he had a grab release > gattling combo on slopes iirc.
my thread yes.
guaranteed boost smash on MK out of air grab release
only works on steep slopes though.

Ground grab release does not have true combos it's like 30 frames recovery each for both releaser and releasee
exceptions being Ness and Lucas who take longer to recover and DK who takes shorter (don't grab release DK).
You can find the thread somewhere in tactical.

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
Thanks for this tips Ozz !

I've a noob question, i've a problem to shieldgrab or just avoid the jab combo of... R.O.B ! His jab is so fast. :/

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
Just push on the A button for a jab > wait (if you push on the grab button so quickly you do a second jab) > grab (or any other move)

Denzi

Smash Master
If you use jab(x2) you can crouch cancel it. ( A -> A -> Crouch -> Whatever)

Only use single jab for jab -> grab though, it's faster. use 2x jab to lead into other moves.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I notice IAP is a useful but, where does it apply, like when some one is trying to land on the stage from above?
It's longer, has the same start-up and less ending lag.
When would you ever use grounded phantasm instead?

@Ozz, why do you have Bair instead of Fsmash at low %s? grab releases are not % dependent on how long it takes to recover, so the only change should be a more damaging move at low percents and higher knockback at high %s. Your attack choice doesn't make sense.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's longer, has the same start-up and less ending lag.
When would you ever use grounded phantasm instead?

@Ozz, why do you have Bair instead of Fsmash at low %s? grab releases are not % dependent on how long it takes to recover, so the only change should be a more damaging move at low percents and higher knockback at high %s. Your attack choice doesn't make sense.
You're missing what I'm saying. Do I IAP when they the are coming to the stage from above.

J4pu

Smash Champion
your question is not one that somebody can answer.

-when who is coming down from above?
-have they used their 2nd jump?
-how far are they from you?
-are they at a kill %?

this is why I assumed you meant IAP as opposed to grounded, because this question just has too many variables to answer.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
your question is not one that somebody can answer.

-when who is coming down from above?
Above the stage, any character I guess....
-have they used their 2nd jump?
No 2nd jumps
-how far are they from you?
In range of the Illision
-are they at a kill %?
No

this is why I assumed you meant IAP as opposed to grounded, because this question just has too many variables to answer.
So there you go.

§witch

Smash Lord

Stale moves?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone wave bounce their lasers? I remember back when Forward discovered/brought it up, everyone was eager to try it out. Yet now, I only see Kismet2 doing time to time.

2. On characters who, in general, have grab release combos on them, can Falco grab release to upsmash on them? I remember hearing NL doing a grab release to upsmash on M2K with Fox (yes, Fox has a further dash, but maybe Falco's boost smash can hit him?). I really don't know since I never mess around with this grab release stuff unless I'm in training mode using Sheik lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
2. The grab release Usmash works on MK on slopes iirc.

Denzi

Smash Master
1. Does anyone wave bounce their lasers? I remember back when Forward discovered/brought it up, everyone was eager to try it out. Yet now, I only see Kismet2 doing time to time.
I seem to recall Sethlon saying that he definately used them. So yeah, it's a good idea for Falco's to WB their lasers. (at the right times obv.)

J4pu

Smash Champion
2. On characters who, in general, have grab release combos on them, can Falco grab release to upsmash on them? I remember hearing NL doing a grab release to upsmash on M2K with Fox (yes, Fox has a further dash, but maybe Falco's boost smash can hit him?). I really don't know since I never mess around with this grab release stuff unless I'm in training mode using Sheik lol.
1st post on this page:
my thread yes.
guaranteed boost smash on MK out of air grab release
only works on steep slopes though.
Falco is too short to release anybody to the air on flat ground. (the person being released can make their character air release [I'm not sure how exactly] but it isn't a guaranteed air release)

Fsmash does more damage than Bair, Falco's should never be afraid to stale their moves, merely keep it in mind that it is stale and unstale it with lasers and/or IAP if you need it fresh, doing this is better than limiting yourself. One of the things that makes Falco great.

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
Do a dash attack with C-down is really more fast than a dash attack with the A button for Falco ? Or that works only for specifics characters (like Link ?) ?

Thanks !

Top Bottom