• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Falco does have a Dash-Attack Cancelled Grab. Just did the testing on FD and if done from the very edge of FD normal dash attack facing right will land falco's left foot in front of the 2nd arrow down the middle of the stage. DAC Grab will get you the rest of the arrow's length. It's not much of difference, but it might be enough to get certain people we have problems getting that can jump out.

Trying

wangston

Smash Lord
I just noticed that when i was trying to do a walking grab and hitting z so I could grab asap olimar would be too far away and I would have to take a few steps at 25%. Then I thought well I better do a dash grab, but because the dac grab exist I should try that because it will boost me out further than just a dash grab. I think this might help out the chain grab, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I'm pretty sure Dai-A told me he always does the dac if he ever needs to dash grab, i just never really payed much thought to it.

So far the people I've tried this against it doesn't really work any better (CPUs lv 9 training mode). I think the only people it would work against are those with low trajectory. Every time Falco Dash Grabs the grab range goes down in vertical height, but the boost gives it horizontal range. So it would have to start looking into them.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Urp, look at Vlade leading us into something he might already know...

Also Marth ***** Falco.
I play Pierce7D all the time (we are crew mates) and he beats my 99/100 times we play. I have to be on my A-est of game to ever beat a top Marth. Marth is a character that pretty much has a answer to everyone of Falco's options and I seriously believe that match-up is un-winnable for Falco on every neutral.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
So school's done and I finally got my Wii back. I started training again by playing level 9's and just working on a certain technique or two, like only using RBPG to chain grab or only getting kills with DACUS. The computer's been owning me pretty hard, like usually 2 or 3 stocking me because I don't really care about winning. Good or bad idea for training?

Jon?

Smash Champion
So school's done and I finally got my Wii back. I started training again by playing level 9's and just working on a certain technique or two, like only using RBPG to chain grab or only getting kills with DACUS. The computer's been owning me pretty hard, like usually 2 or 3 stocking me because I don't really care about winning. Good or bad idea for training?
I think training against computers in training mode may be a better option for you. You can set them on attack mode and you can always reset them back to zero if you wanna practice setting up cg against a moving target.

I say always play against an attack set CPU lv 9 or 8 if you intend to use CPUs to train with. Lv 9 will tell you when you did something in a CG, unless it involves them doing something a typical human would use to get out of it like Marth using UpB, CPU doesn't use upB to get out of CG.

For me I always mess up in training mode with the CGs, but get me an actual brawl match against a CPU I never mess up.

Now if you are testing out some stuff that requires human error margins like jab > grab or Jab/jabx2 > ftilt use lv 8. LV 9 reads your inputs or something, powershield like crazy and typically get more confusing other wise.

Whatever possible still try to get human players to practice against. They will critique how you play a lot better than CPUs. Even if you have to use wifi it's still something to get you into the mindset of how to combate a human player, who "should" space against you and read any patterns you do. CPUs will just charge in and react.

I made large improvements over wifi. Now if I could just get something offline...

Oh and APEX should be live-streaming the tourney in the next few hours I think.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Can someone help me with the King Dedede, Wario, and Zamus match-ups? Like on how to fight them and that.

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
Falco does have a Dash-Attack Cancelled Grab. Just did the testing on FD and if done from the very edge of FD normal dash attack facing right will land falco's left foot in front of the 2nd arrow down the middle of the stage. DAC Grab will get you the rest of the arrow's length. It's not much of difference, but it might be enough to get certain people we have problems getting that can jump out.

Trying
I sometimes do that when I try to do a DACUS.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I say always play against an attack set CPU lv 9 or 8 if you intend to use CPUs to train with. Lv 9 will tell you when you did something in a CG, unless it involves them doing something a typical human would use to get out of it like Marth using UpB, CPU doesn't use upB to get out of CG.

For me I always mess up in training mode with the CGs, but get me an actual brawl match against a CPU I never mess up.

Now if you are testing out some stuff that requires human error margins like jab > grab or Jab/jabx2 > ftilt use lv 8. LV 9 reads your inputs or something, powershield like crazy and typically get more confusing other wise.

Whatever possible still try to get human players to practice against. They will critique how you play a lot better than CPUs. Even if you have to use wifi it's still something to get you into the mindset of how to combate a human player, who "should" space against you and read any patterns you do. CPUs will just charge in and react.

I made large improvements over wifi. Now if I could just get something offline...

Oh and APEX should be live-streaming the tourney in the next few hours I think.
I understand the reasoning if you're trying to train for matches, but when I do this I'm just trying to master the skills against a moving opponent, not even set ups for them. Just trying to commit them to muscle memory. I think the level 8 stuff makes a lot of sense though.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Urp, look at Vlade leading us into something he might already know...

Also Marth ***** Falco.
I play Pierce7D all the time (we are crew mates) and he beats my 99/100 times we play. I have to be on my A-est of game to ever beat a top Marth. Marth is a character that pretty much has a answer to everyone of Falco's options and I seriously believe that match-up is un-winnable for Falco on every neutral.
;) I actually didn't know about it for once :p

Anyway, you're so lucky if you have Pierce7D as your crewmate. I'd be playing him whenever possible just to learn the marth match-up.

When I do verse Shaya (you might have heard of him, best marth in australia) I'll need some experience :p

wangston

Smash Lord
Anyone know the best way to get out of pikas chain grab. I played a pika yesterday and that is all he did he wouldn't attack until after he did the chain grab. I tried to nair out of it and it never worked. Though when I tried to jump I would foot stool him.

Zesty_Chicken

Smash Cadet
You can't get out of Pika's evil chaingrab until a certain % (haven't checked, but I think it's around about 50%). The best thing to do is to predict your opponent and dodge his grabs.

I've played Pikachu before, and I know that some pikachus (who will do anything to win) will just straight out go for the CG. You can stop them with some well timed lazers, or you can spot dodge and dthrow-->DACUS, or whatever suits your fancy.

J4pu

Smash Champion
best way to escape pika CG is DI towards pika and spam jump.
still only works if they don't time it right.

Also, DACG comes out slower than normal grab (even though it's range is longer? maybe) I already asked pureawesome for frame data on it a while ago then never shared because I figured it was pointless.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Anyone know the best way to get out of pikas chain grab. I played a pika yesterday and that is all he did he wouldn't attack until after he did the chain grab. I tried to nair out of it and it never worked. Though when I tried to jump I would foot stool him.
You can't escape, he has to mess up. All you can do is wait, unfortunaley. Just camp with Phantasm. I've been realizing that Lasers just slow you down. Considering Pikachu's size, we only get a few lasers in anyway. Also canceling helps and never go offstage Pika is weird-nasty off stage.

Anyway, you're so lucky if you have Pierce7D as your crewmate. I'd be playing him whenever possible just to learn the marth match-up.

When I do verse Shaya (you might have heard of him, best marth in australia) I'll need some experience
Yes I am. I'll be spill some Marth stuff whenever people ask.

wangston

Smash Lord
Well i guess what I meant was the best way to get out of the chain grab if pika messes up. Which i take it, it is jumping.

Also does it have to start at 0% do to fthrows, jab to 20% and then dthrow or can the pika get you to 20% then start down throwing?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well i guess what I meant was the best way to get out of the chain grab if pika messes up. Which i take it, it is jumping.

Also does it have to start at 0% do to fthrows, jab to 20% and then dthrow or can the pika get you to 20% then start down throwing?
he can start at 20% as long as dthrow is not staled, but 2 fthrows are inescapable so when you're grabbed youre basicly screwed

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
If we eat Tjolts, is there a way to get out of chaingrab percents? If we reach 30% and Pika's dthrow isn't staled, does the chaingrab become escapable?

Or 40% or 50% or whatever.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
I lost against a diddy i knew i easily could of beat, but my lack of recovery patterns is what brought me to lose. What are different ways i can recover well off stage. And as well as, when do you approach with dairs. My lasers went right over diddys head as well, i know i had to use my reflector alot but i usually predicted the throw but then i wouldnt know how to punish.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I lost against a diddy i knew i easily could of beat, but my lack of recovery patterns is what brought me to lose. What are different ways i can recover well off stage.
Well, Side-B is your main recovery move. Up-B is only used for vertical recovery and sometimes you can use it as horizontal to throw off your opponent, although they can punish you if they can predict you.

I usually aim to sweetspot the ledge, but depending on the situation you may want to aim for the floor of the stage. For stages with platforms such as Yoshi's Island and Battlefield, it may also seem like a good idea to recover aiming for one of the platforms. The key for a good recovery is to read if your opponent is gonna go for the fast ledge drop to gimp your recovery or wait for you to land ontop of the stage to punish you.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Save your jump. If you reflect him while he's glide tossing a banana, you can either DACUS or go for an Fsmash. Fsmash has really good range, but you might hit with the weak hitbox.

Save your jump.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Alright well this is what happened, he used banana drop im not good with the terms but it just freshly came up and gimped my recovery leaving me to an open fsmash. And I just couldn't find the moment to hit the kill move, diddy surprisingly is my 3rd worse match up. My fsmash got punished alot, since i got hasty sadly and when i attempted some smashes, the bananas would punish even more. Gah i should be doing well in this match up, but bleh.

@loops: Falco really doesn't have many options for recovery. Phantasm and it's cancel lengths, jump and Firebird. That's it. The best cause is don't get caught in the situation where you are getting edgeguarded, but if you do (as mentioned before) safe your jump, it helps mixes things up and gives you more control to adjust to the persons method of edgeguarding wether it be offstage, edgehog, or onstage. Phantasm on the stage really only when you see it's for sure safe. Every other time the ledge is the safest place to recover too. And from there trying to get back onstage from the ledge. But watch out for edgehogging attempts when going for the ledge.

If we eat Tjolts, is there a way to get out of chaingrab percents? If we reach 30% and Pika's dthrow isn't staled, does the chaingrab become escapable?

Or 40% or 50% or whatever.
Pretty sure it's, no. They figured out that Pikachu still has a sizeable CG against Falco even past the ~20%. It's just the the maximum percent falco gets up too is severly reduced. So 0%-100% CG. 30% leads to something like 70%. To me in all essence it's like facing IC. DONT' GET GRABBED EVER. :)

Well, Side-B is your main recovery move. Up-B is only used for vertical recovery and sometimes you can use it as horizontal to throw off your opponent, although they can punish you if they can predict you.
So true. It's quiet funny to see someone move all the way back away from the stage to the end of a possible phantasm only to see me go straight for the ledge instead and then phantasm them back after grabbing the ledge.

victoriouS

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'd like to start off by saying, yes I am new, but falco is my fav character and i've been playing him for awhile now, and I have some pretty easy questions.

WARNING: Some of these may have already been asked

Q1: When I'm doing a SHL, for example. When I do the SH do I press b when falco is at his peak hight? in the middle of jump? or towards the end? no one really ever explained this in tutorials.

Q2: Via the SHDL, whats the point of it? I get that you do the DL if the char wants to jump or if its a taller character, aside from that and a dmg plus, why?

Q3: My friend is an annoying little ***ck with fox, I mean this is pure nub works here. Running up smashes, FS spam, and shine stall spam, whats the easiest way besides CG'ing to deal with Foxes?

Q4: I know how to do that gatling combo, and I can laser lock almost at anytime (i've even laser-locked icylight =p), but do you guys have any simple and easy tips for doing this boost upsmash thing?

any help would be great!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hey guys, I'd like to start off by saying, yes I am new, but falco is my fav character and i've been playing him for awhile now, and I have some pretty easy questions.

WARNING: Some of these may have already been asked

Q1: When I'm doing a SHL, for example. When I do the SH do I press b when falco is at his peak hight? in the middle of jump? or towards the end? no one really ever explained this in tutorials.

Q2: Via the SHDL, whats the point of it? I get that you do the DL if the char wants to jump or if its a taller character, aside from that and a dmg plus, why?
SHL is just trying a few times and perfect the timing, will come automaticly if you do it enough.

SHDL is for stage control and spacing.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Q4: I know how to do that gatling combo, and I can laser lock almost at anytime (i've even laser-locked icylight =p), but do you guys have any simple and easy tips for doing this boost upsmash thing?
Change L or R to attack. Run-> Cstick down->Up on joystick-> L or R really really fast. You shouldn't even see the dash attack that the Cstick down does.

Q3: My friend is an annoying little ***ck with fox, I mean this is pure nub works here. Running up smashes, FS spam, and shine stall spam, whats the easiest way besides CG'ing to deal with Foxes?
Aerials when you think he's going to run in. They're lagless.(Except Fair...don't ever use that)

King-of-Smash

Smash Rookie
I have a question. I'm used to Falco in Melee because it seems it's more fast paced but since in Brawl he got slower I have trouble approaching my friends in a battle. So do you have any suggestions in what I should do? By the way I can do SHL but Falco's speed seems to be an issue.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I have a question. I'm used to Falco in Melee because it seems it's more fast paced but since in Brawl he got slower I have trouble approaching my friends in a battle. So do you have any suggestions in what I should do? By the way I can do SHL but Falco's speed seems to be an issue.
Don't approach

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Lol no. This is the mentality that gets people to lose. You need to approach, but you need to know when and where.
All our approaches get shieldgrabbed, if I recall correctly.

The only way to approach is with a laser as cover, but if your laser gets shielded you're still in a disfavorable position.

Except if there's some secret way to approach that I am unaware of.

Top Bottom