• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Sigh, so I've been having some trouble as I moved on with falco, and I'd love some help on it.

First of all, the spike after chaingrab goes wrong most of the time because I'm to late with the spike, how can I get the spike earlier? Is there some kind of timing on it that I don't know? I thought about buffering the jump, but I don't know the buffer frames of downthrow.

Second, boost pivot grab, normally to boost pivot grab I dash, back on smash stick, back on analog and Z, but often I get the timing wrong and do a normal pivot, could I change the input to get a higher success rate? Also, is the timing on a boost pivot grab in chaingrab anything out of a normal grab?

Third, DACUS/boost smash, I hear people use up+Z for the upsmash (meaning z is set to attack), is there any other input that makes it easier? I use A to dash attack and smash upsmash, works 30% of the time, but I'd like a higher success rate, any help on that? and whats the difference in input between a dacus (with dash attack hit) and boost smash (sliding upsmash)?

Last but not least, some matchup advice against D3, I usually get the damage racking right, and finishing happens eventually, but when D3 gets me off stage he gimps me with his long-ranged bair, which this d3 manages the hit with the tip and use to intercept air dodges, making me unable to retaliate, and D3 gets me offstage with his bthrow and grab range enough.

Pfew, my wall of text for today ^_^
1) I usually CG to spike almost all the time unless they are past the a certain point in damage. What I usually do is after the last grab, jump and hold Down as fast as I can into a Dair. I've tested it out with another falco user who uses either down C-stick or just taps Down A.

2) For boost pivot grabs, I use dash>back analog>shield grab. It's not the correct way to perform it, but I would also like to know the timing with the back C-stick>back analog, z. Anyone want to clarify on this technique?

3) When you do a dac or boost smash, z isn't set to attack. If you try to dash and hold up-z afterwards, you will start to do a charge upsmash. Dacus is much easier to pull off when hitting a target because all you have to do is hit them with your dash attack and you are given lots of frames to cancel it into an Usmash. I am also having trouble timing the boost smash too, any clarification would be helpful!

4) D3 is a pretty easy match up if played well. Just cg the hell outta him and outcamp him with lasers. If you see him chasing you off screen, try to imediately phantasm back onto the stage, because it will be hard for him to punish you if he is chasing in the air. The only difficult thing for me in this matchup is probably going for the kill. Usmash will probably kill at around 120 but that's not garuanteed. Otherwise, try to read his moves and air dodges and punish.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
There is no easy way to learn the timings for the phantasm canceling. Don't worry if you're not getting it to exactly the right distance. The timing is one frame. It's really hard to get.

Spin Sliding lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyxwDndHBU
1:42
Not a foxtrot, its more of a moon walk if anything. It's taking the momentum gains from spinning over and over again to slide.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
There is no easy way to learn the timings for the phantasm canceling. Don't worry if you're not getting it to exactly the right distance. The timing is one frame. It's really hard to get.

Spin Sliding lol.
Not a foxtrot, its more of a moon walk if anything. It's taking the momentum gains from spinning over and over again to slide.
Wait, is phantasm canceling 1 frame? I thought you could cancel on start, half and end(to reduce lag or something?) or am I completely wrong?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Spin Sliding lol.
The Zebrahead song made that video.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Wait, is phantasm canceling 1 frame? I thought you could cancel on start, half and end(to reduce lag or something?) or am I completely wrong?
You have a total of 3 frames to cancel the phantasm with each one being associated to a canceled distance. So if you're aiming for a specific length to cancel, then yes it is only 1 frame.

Crystal: I think saving the jump for later is usually better, but it depends on your percentage, trajectory, stage, and opponent. Of course if you think you're going to die without jumping then go for it, but I've found that sometimes it seems like I die because I jumped into the blast zone. Also, if you get knocked back horizontally and low, I like to jump as soon as I can.

Tchok

Smash Rookie
When approaching with SHDair, should I do it while at the top of my jump or while rising?

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Rising if they are getting up/shielding. Falling for combo's and punishes.

Remember you can also Dair out of a Chain Grab, so take that into consideration when you punish.

Edit: You should ever approach with Dair, Bair is better and you also have lasers.

Tchok

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the quick reply! also, what can I combo a single jab into besides the 2nd jab and spin attack?

Denzi

Smash Master
Thanks for the quick reply! also, what can I combo a single jab into besides the 2nd jab and spin attack?

Grab is what is usually used after a single jab. You can also use it to just disrupt your opponent's flow and try to follow up with another attack, but remember nothing's guaranteed. If you're looking for better follow ups, a lot of things can work after jab x2. You can use Ftilt, Dtilt, go for the grab then, whatever. And don't discount the AAA spin against characters like DDD who have a difficult time dealing with it.

Tchok

Smash Rookie
Ok cool thanks!!! What are some good moves/strats to follow up an AAA combo

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
i had the utmost highest
feeling tht that was
the name of it lol.
But 4 the cancel as
soon as you jump u
quickly tap side-b ?
Or is there somthing else that's 'EASiER' to function with
Discuss:)

Jon?

Smash Champion
Ok cool thanks!!! What are some good moves/strats to follow up an AAA combo
Whenever I do an AAA attack, I usually follow up with a roll behind them. If they DI away from the AAA, follow up with a Ftilt. If they DI towards you, do Utilt. I rarely use reflector or Fsmash out of it.

Just about anything can be followed from a Jab Combo. Most of the time it depends on your opponent. Some DI straight away from you to just get out of it in which case you could use the reflector, not recommended(although I still do it out of happen occasionally).

Other people will try to DI/SDI behind which is a bit difficult at times if the Jab combo is kept sort, but if they get behind you your messed up.

But for the most part people will DI away from you and down to try to shield as soon as possible or to try to get their own jab to beat your's out.

The personal thing I would try to do is use the Jab Combo earlier in a match to get the idea of how the person reacts and don't follow up with anything and just shield or roll. If you see them following a certain pattern try to punish that pattern.

J4pu mentioned that Jab Combo > Fsmash works occasionally to try to get a stock.

Oh and here is one thing I never see much, but I hardly ever get punished for. Jab combo > ended quickly > jab combo.

Denzi

Smash Master
i had the utmost highest
feeling tht that was
the name of it lol.
But 4 the cancel as
soon as you jump u
quickly tap side-b ?
Or is there somthing else that's 'EASiER' to function with
Discuss:)
Nothing to discuss, that's the only way to do it.

And would it kill you to type like a normal, literate person?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
2) For boost pivot grabs, I use dash>back analog>shield grab. It's not the correct way to perform it, but I would also like to know the timing with the back C-stick>back analog, z. Anyone want to clarify on this technique?
Back cstick initializes a dash attack, then you cancel it with back analog+z (pivot grab), keeping the momentum and doing a bpg ;)

Most people use down cstick for this but I rather use back so I can do the same with both my thumbs

Also, I'm still having problems with the spike after chaingrab, I always go over the target, what am I doing wrong?

Vlade

Social Outcast
Nothing to discuss, that's the only way to do it.

*agrees* There's nothing worse than typing illiterately on a forum - it's very different to an IM.

@ Xonar: Try buffering the dash + short hop + dair. Also make sure you're not too close to the edge when you do it because you want a bit of space. Just practise different timings and spacings and eventually you'll get it (I hope).

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
*agrees* There's nothing worse than typing illiterately on a forum - it's very different to an IM.

@ Xonar: Try buffering the dash + short hop + dair. Also make sure you're not too close to the edge when you do it because you want a bit of space. Just practise different timings and spacings and eventually you'll get it (I hope).
when are the buffer frames for dash?

nvm i got it :)

Jon?

Smash Champion
Back cstick initializes a dash attack, then you cancel it with back analog+z (pivot grab), keeping the momentum and doing a bpg ;)

Most people use down cstick for this but I rather use back so I can do the same with both my thumbs

Also, I'm still having problems with the spike after chaingrab, I always go over the target, what am I doing wrong?
The down Cstick to reverse grab works best for me. I was messing around with it in training mode trying to reverse directions during the CG, but for some reason I can't do it as well going to the right. I can do it 90% of the time going left though. Anyone else having this problem?

Tchok

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to get the timing right on it. I've done it maybe 2/200 times and I have no idea how i did it. Are you supposed to press back and z at the same time or one after the other? Also, how soon after the dash do you have to do everything else? I can cancel the dash attack with an up smash about 20% of the time but this boost pivot grab is just a pain to practice. Any suggestions on how to practice it?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I can't seem to get the timing right on it. I've done it maybe 2/200 times and I have no idea how i did it. Are you supposed to press back and z at the same time or one after the other? Also, how soon after the dash do you have to do everything else? I can cancel the dash attack with an up smash about 20% of the time but this boost pivot grab is just a pain to practice. Any suggestions on how to practice it?
You cancel it the same time as a boost smash, its all about trying it again and again.

It's almost directly after you initiated the dash attack, try doing it in training mode at 1/4th, then 1/2th, 2/3th and then 1 :)

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: Funny how you say that
Since when was typing like this illiterate
If u can read what im writing then by all means
Stop sucking my way of writing.
&& besides normal is boring =/
There's gotta be somebody who's different &&
that'll stand out.
Is that more literate for you:dizzy:

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
It took me time to learn it, too
just practice && try to get a rhythm
When your doing it. That's how teh move
comes to me && maybe that'll help you
Jus remember teh button imput &&
P R A C T i C E :)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
:laugh: Funny how you say that
Since when was typing like this illiterate
If u can read what im writing then by all means
Stop sucking my way of writing.
&& besides normal is boring =/
There's gotta be somebody who's different &&
that'll stand out.
Is that more literate for you:dizzy:
It's just plain annoying, theres no need for someone who types annoying and stands out.

Just like those idiots who start and end their posts with stars n ****.

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
It's just plain annoying, theres no need for someone who types annoying and stands out.

Just like those idiots who start and end their posts with stars n ****.
Since when was typing annoying:ohwell:
Like wtf smashboards has a ''code''
Of how to write 'normal'
If so then feel me in Srsly cause
Im not changing the way i write.
No other boards has a problem with it except falco's
Wierd:dizzy:

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
run, dash attack (cancel into=you dont even see the dash attack) pivot -> grab
-> , Cdown , <- , Z

TEECO

Smash Ace
I am now learning how to protect my bread, and the bread is hard to protect..

Hows Falco VS DDD?

Edit: Is the Keitaro combo even worth using?

Tchok

Smash Rookie
How/what should I practice when I'm by myself with nobody to play? I main Falco so obviously I could go in training and practice various techniques like my lasers, chain grab, boost smashing, etc... but is there anything else I can do that will help my game? Will fighting against the computer help or hurt me? I've noticed that computers can sometimes be predictable so I think that if I fight against them it might lead me into some bad habits that wouldn't help against human players. Or maybe fighting computers would help me implement techs and combos while under pressure.. Thoughts on this? thanks!!

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
How/what should I practice when I'm by myself with nobody to play? I main Falco so obviously I could go in training and practice various techniques like my lasers, chain grab, boost smashing, etc... but is there anything else I can do that will help my game? Will fighting against the computer help or hurt me? I've noticed that computers can sometimes be predictable so I think that if I fight against them it might lead me into some bad habits that wouldn't help against human players. Or maybe fighting computers would help me implement techs and combos while under pressure.. Thoughts on this? thanks!!
Online helps ah tiny bit..:laugh:
Well too me if you cant fight anybody
Then fight computers. Play like your in a
tourney. That kinda helps.
Do 1v1 , 1v2 , 1v3 && see how good you do
Try to complete a goal by fighting a person
In a small amount of time.
Practice your At's on specific characters && combos
&& if you've done all of that then....
Have a biweekly && bring over all your friends for smash
Or just go to tourneys OR EVEN
*wispers* go online..:)
Hope that helps

I say DI to the ground or DI upwards. DIing to move left or right of shiek really leads into more ftilts. To the ground leads allows you to shield or upwards leads you jump out. I say before 30% DI down to get the shield and then you can do whatever. DI upwards above shiek after 30%.

Shiek can still do something do you before you do those though. Shiek can try to grab if you DI down to the ground, or can uptilt if you DI above her. Although, you are more likely to run into shieks that cannot properly read DI and always punish. Most often they will try to ftilt again out of habit after you have avoided the range of the next ftilt leading to their ftilt messing up.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but how should I DI Sheik's ftilt after 30%
I have a friend who used to main shiek. If you are caught in the middle of the tilt lock, DI towards upwards towards shiek's head. If you are caught on the outer part of the tilt, DI backwards and shield.

Top Bottom