• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
spin your joystick, mash all three shoulder buttons and hit asmany buttons as you can as many times as possible.

Reizilla

if they're pummeling you, you'll ground break either way. Or if you play with tap jump off, but I'm assuming no.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
How many frames of start up does dashing have? And I think that turnaround animation can be canceled in one frame, can somebody affirm this for me?

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
I have a question.
When you're ledge guarding someone...
is it more of a predicting game, or watch and punish game?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I say it's kind of both. You predict based on watching their patterns, but you also must be able to adapt and react to whatever your opponent does from the ledge.

Question!

How bad will I lose if I switch from maining MK and Marth to just maining Marth? Like, matchup wise? I'm primarily worried about facing MK's, Marth dittos, D3's, and Snakes, but I don't want to rely on MK as a crutch for those matchups. Am I a scrub/idealist for thinking this way?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
not scrub but idealist i would say.
Not bad to just want to main solely Marth, but unless you become **** good with Marth, placing high enough to win money will be difficult

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
I was playing against my friend the other day who mains falco (he's not that good but what ever thats not important.) What could be important is that if I buffered out of a Dthrow I was able to CG him until around 30%. After the match I told him to try a few things to get out of it but as long as I buffered It seemed to be effective. He tried dodge rolling as he landed, DIing up and away while spamming jump, and a few other random things. I don't have a video to show and I wasn't sure if this is known already so I'm just posting it here.

I still haven't tested on other characters yet so if anyone either knows if it works on other characters or is willing to test this further please let me know.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I was playing against my friend the other day who mains falco (he's not that good but what ever thats not important.) What could be important is that if I buffered out of a Dthrow I was able to CG him until around 30%. After the match I told him to try a few things to get out of it but as long as I buffered It seemed to be effective. He tried dodge rolling as he landed, DIing up and away while spamming jump, and a few other random things. I don't have a video to show and I wasn't sure if this is known already so I'm just posting it here.

I still haven't tested on other characters yet so if anyone either knows if it works on other characters or is willing to test this further please let me know.
Known, you can end it with a fsmash.

edit: Can only be done on Falco/Fox and I believe Pika.

Albert.

Smash Master
I say it's kind of both. You predict based on watching their patterns, but you also must be able to adapt and react to whatever your opponent does from the ledge.

Question!

How bad will I lose if I switch from maining MK and Marth to just maining Marth? Like, matchup wise? I'm primarily worried about facing MK's, Marth dittos, D3's, and Snakes, but I don't want to rely on MK as a crutch for those matchups. Am I a scrub/idealist for thinking this way?
You'll be losing the even/advantage MUs for MK and now you have Marth's disadvantage to even-at-best MUs with all those characters you mentioned

Do want you want to

100% Marth is hard but it's not that bad.

Basically any character not in the top 10 is worse off than 100% Marth

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Known, you can end it with a fsmash.

edit: Can only be done on Falco/Fox and I believe Pika.
I think Pikachu was disproven.
It's 'meant' to work on Sheik as well, but from my personal experience it doesn't work on her either.
So Fox, Falco and Squirtle.

-Stud

Smash Rookie
I finally got the basics down with marth, but I've read somewhere that you should always be looking at your openents character during the game... is this true and why? Also do you NEED to be able to use mind games to get better?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I finally got the basics down with marth, but I've read somewhere that you should always be looking at your openents character during the game... is this true and why? Also do you NEED to be able to use mind games to get better?
it is true, and this is for a few reasons:

1) You should already have a solid control of your character and where it is placed. Staring at your actions will not benefit your game as much as watching your opponent.
2) Predicitons & Patterns - This method will allow you to catch on to actions your opponents repeat, and allow you to punish accordingly.
3) Positioning - This will allow you to space better on your opponent and setup traps which would be much difficult staring at yourself.

Mindgames is a very sensitive subject. You don't necessarily need to mindgame your opponent, however mastering the ability to get into your opponents head will ultimately make you a better player.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Hey folks. Long time Dedede main here. I've hit a plateau with this character and I need another option. no, a BETTER option. That's why I'm here. Now, imagine that I have a basic understanding of this character (read: I know what his moves look like). What should I learn first? How do I go about making this character perform at least average on a tourney level?

Any bits and pieces of info are welcome, but nothing too advanced. I'm gonna start glancing through a few topics here and there and see what I pick up.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Note how **** your aerials are, and if you note how people who are experienced in the match up **** you, it will be from them punishing jumps.

Put a lot of attention into when and how you jump, and especially be aware that your best option when it comes to aerials are to fast fall them (hence rising aerials preferably only be for punishing or mixups rather than a staple of your game).

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Alright, I need a seriously detailed answer for this, maybe some hints on some individual characters, but I really need to know, what are Marth's safe ways of landing. I seem to get punished a LOT after landing, in those few critical frames where there is nothing you can do.

I usually am facing toward my opponent, and they really stand just outside of my Fair and Nair range, and whenever I try to mix it up with Airdodging, I just get grabbed.

More or less, this is a very big issue against MK and Lucario. They both have good moves, range, and grabbing ability to hurt my landing, but I also have problems against Snake, Olimar, and a few others.

Maybe some hints and tips, and also more ways to mix it up. I'm thinking maybe I can punish a grab with that Nair to Dolphin Slash thing I see people using every now-and-then?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Using Dolphin Slash after a fastfalled, timed fair makes it impossible for your opponent to grab you. It is crucial to understand and use when playing Marth.

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
I got a question, most particularly about match up vs. MK.

Why do players just grab-release him rather than throwing for extra damage? It seems like this is an easier way to rack up more damage at lower percents rather than just grab, hit once and wait for him to break out. Also, why do they only hit MK once?

I can tell that MK will get released up and away if grabbed-released, is it just the spacing and situational resetting that is the advantage?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

Why do players just grab-release him rather than throwing for extra damage? It seems like this is an easier way to rack up more damage at lower percents rather than just grab, hit once and wait for him to break out. Also, why do they only hit MK once?

I can tell that MK will get released up and away if grabbed-released, is it just the spacing and situational resetting that is the advantage?
I guess you haven't analyzed a good match against MK. Grab releasing ultimately had more damage output than any of Marth's throws. A fresh tipper fair does 13%, while a Fthrow does 4%. See the difference?

Pummeling MK, or any character for that fact, too long will allow them to ground release out of your grab, putting you in lag.

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
I guess you haven't analyzed a good match against MK. Grab releasing ultimately had more damage output than any of Marth's throws. A fresh tipper fair does 13%, while a Fthrow does 4%. See the difference?

Pummeling MK, or any character for that fact, too long will allow them to ground release out of your grab, putting you in lag.
Ok, so in doing the grab-release we're assuming Marth can get in a free fair on MK after the release? I figured this was the case but haven't really seen it utilized (i've looked at some of the videos of Neo and MikeHaze on that thread, i don't see them doing it often)

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace

After your Fthrow-Fsmash isn't capable anymore, Grab release - tipper Fair will do more definite damage, then any throw Marth could possibly do.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
You can do Grab release --> Fair, Nair, Dair, UpB and Dash attack.

MikeHAZE does GR --> Fair A LOT, like every match lol. Recent matches he does dair, but that's for techchasing, don't worry about that yet.

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Like in this video, at 4:58 Marth grabs MK , releases, and only gets 2% damage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFh-reDVVjg#movie_player

He goes so darn far up idk how you'd get to him.

I've techchased before, didn't even know the proper term haha. Not very consistently, i'm afraid.
There's so much information to absorb off these boards... Lots of good reading material i hope! Probably will have more questions later on, thanks for the answers so far

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
You dont worry about getting high enough to reach him, you worry about buffering your dash and SH Fairing the release before he can input anything else.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Stand still, dash one way and immediately dash the other direction while tapping the grab button. Hold it down too long and you will most likely shield.

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
Hi im new to marth (just started useing him as another alt today) and i was wondering how people did the side b 4 times or so and then do like another 4 extra really quick stabs/slashes. I really dont know how to explain it but it looks like marths stabs really fast a few times and im not sure how to do this but i always see it after another move has been done and i think people use side b b4 they use the extra stabs or w.e.

If you know what im talking about then please help me. I know it may not be very useful but its driving me crazy not knowing how to do this move lol

Hope to meet some marth players pretty soon :)

Clel

Smash Journeyman
You mean the downward variation. If you do side b and hold down while mashing B you'll do the multiple stabs at the end. Holding up effect the move aswell.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
1 is the last hit of DB downward db D4 or is it DB d3?

also jiggly peach you hold diagonaly down and press B 4 times.

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
ok so its side b 4 times then on the last side b i start doing down b 4 times... but wont i go into a counter when i press down b?

Eh i'll try to figure it out.

Thanks for the help though, at least i know what to do now, i just have to practice doing it lol

Nice to meet you

Edit- Wow i just now tried doing the extra slashes and it wont work. I press side B 4 times then after the last slash i did down b and tried to repeat press it but it goes into a counter. What am i doing wrong, please help me

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
ok so its side b 4 times then on the last side b i start doing down b 4 times... but wont i go into a counter when i press down b?

Eh i'll try to figure it out.

Thanks for the help though, at least i know what to do now, i just have to practice doing it lol

Nice to meet you

Edit- Wow i just now tried doing the extra slashes and it wont work. I press side B 4 times then after the last slash i did down b and tried to repeat press it but it goes into a counter. What am i doing wrong, please help me
The first time you press side B that starts blade dance

you have 4 strikes with it, after you press side B the first time then you can press any direction plus B to continue the dance, provided you press them quickly enough.

To get the multi-hitting green strikes, the fourth direction plus B must be DOWN
hope this helps

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
Oh ty ty ty i just did the green slashes lol. Even though it isnt marths best move to learn, im still glad i learned it :)

Reizilla

What are the best ways/moments to use a pivot grab?
You can use it as a cross up (getting behind your opponent) or you can use it to retreat. One way to use the cross up could be if your opponent is trying to air dodge into the ground after landing, you could pivot grab to the other side of him. For retreating purposes, if your opponent is trying to approach you, dash away and pivot grabing is a pretty safe option. It can also work well against boost smashes or Falco's side-b if your reaction time/prediction is good enough.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
whats the easiest/ hardest Dbs to DI out of
Easiest is definitely the down version. You can SDI and punish the sequence at the end.

Hardest... probably just the standard sideways. If the person is someone who tends to SDI to the side, use the up version for the second hit only and it will keep them in range for the rest of the combo.

Reizilla

Someone wanna go into detail on SDI for me? I always thought it was just tapping a direction on the stick as fast as you could. If so, then what's quarter circle SDI and stuff?

Top Bottom