• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
GnW can Up-b and not get f'aired out of GR.

And to the guy that was asking about U-smash for damage or kill on Wario, use it for damage. Tip F-smash kills better, but if that's too risky/hard for you, u-tilt kills better as well, so there's no point in trying to kill with U-smash.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Actually, on battlefield, the platforms prevent guaranteed grab releases so grab release -> hyphen u-smash charge is a good mindgame (made amazing since it sets up for a shieldbreak) that limits a lot of options. Also, the u-smash knockback on shield might tip them off the platform and sets up for a jab lock -> f-smash if they don't react quick enough.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace

And to the guy that was asking about U-smash for damage or kill on Wario, use it for damage. Tip F-smash kills better, but if that's too risky/hard for you, u-tilt kills better as well, so there's no point in trying to kill with U-smash.
I find u tilt works nicely on platforms because its pretty much the only thing that works when you're below a platform. What about reversing that process and doing fsmash, nair, u tilt to rack damage and u smash for kill?

Also guys:

Does two jab hits work out of Warios Grab Release at low percents? I was thinking about using jab out of GR to help refresh my move set. If I get a sweetspot and then follow up with a non that has got to be around 9-11% damage which is a little less than nair out of GR.

You're rarely on the ground in this match up so using jab is a rarity.

I mainly stick to fair, d tilt, bair, and SH uairs only for this match up. All other moves I do out of GR.

Also, still having trouble timing the fsmash tipper out of Grab Release. It's really tough IMo. What do you guys use as a rule of thumb when trying to get the tip? I've tried to think to either get him at the apex of his release, as he starts descending, until his foot moves inward, or as soon as Marth is standing in neutral position.

nothing works lol

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I find u tilt works nicely on platforms because its pretty much the only thing that works when you're below a platform. What about reversing that process and doing fsmash, nair, u tilt to rack damage and u smash for kill?

Also guys:

Does two jab hits work out of Warios Grab Release at low percents? I was thinking about using jab out of GR to help refresh my move set. If I get a sweetspot and then follow up with a non that has got to be around 9-11% damage which is a little less than nair out of GR.

You're rarely on the ground in this match up so using jab is a rarity.

I mainly stick to fair, d tilt, bair, and SH uairs only for this match up. All other moves I do out of GR.

Also, still having trouble timing the fsmash tipper out of Grab Release. It's really tough IMo. What do you guys use as a rule of thumb when trying to get the tip? I've tried to think to either get him at the apex of his release, as he starts descending, until his foot moves inward, or as soon as Marth is standing in neutral position.

nothing works lol
wario should be able to sheild an up tilt if he lands on a platform. Not sure about the jabs, but you shouldn't be getting many nairs on a good wario anyway. If he lands on a platform, jumping shield-breaker is a neat trick you could try, at least for mindgames.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Nevermind, P.O.F has already gotten on top of it.

: P good thing I wasn't the only person wanting updated match up discussion threads.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion

If he up-bs out of it then you're doing it wrong, its guaranteeed

you can bait the up-b and tip uair them to get some kills, it works lol

if u grab wario under a platform u can def u-tilt, its guaranteed. i think uair is too, not too sure about it tho

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Yes confirming the utilt guarantee.

I just recently learned the fsmash out of release. :/ It's so useful.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
you're better off going for an f-throw imo rather than a tilt, because u can probably get more damage with a string of attacks than a guaranteed like... 9% :p

Lord Chair

Smash Master
you're better off going for an f-throw imo rather than a tilt, because u can probably get more damage with a string of attacks than a guaranteed like... 9% :p
That would be an awesome idea if it weren't for the fact that getting strings of attacks in starting with an fthrow against Wario is rather impractical. If you really want that string why not grab release to fair/uair/nair/bair?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
<.< wouldn't it be hard to start a string from release though?

He'd be higher, and at least with fthrow you could land a fair and possibly a uair.

C.J.

Smash Master
Someone needs to find NEO vs Malcolm, it was a great set... anyways, vs wario, release to usmash or, at lowish percents/as a mix-up release to weak uair to regrab. Anything else, you have less guaranteed damage. Also, someone should see what aerial DB will do to wario if he'd land on a platform. 1st hit should hit him, he'll probably shield when he lands, next 2 hits weaken shield, and then 4th hit up should shield poke. If not, well, more shield pressure. (completely stolen from Pierce.)

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Yo guys,

question about us edge guarding Olimar:

If he uses his upB while we are on the ledge do we get spiked/good chance of going down with him? Pikmin dependent? % dependent? Olimar is so campy and dumb. LOL BRAWL

C.J.

Smash Master
Yes, yes, and yes. It's a stage spike, of course it's % dependent and of course the stronger the pikmin the more it hurts. Just tech it or roll right before he uses it. You'll get invincibility back and still be on the edge right when it matters.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Yes, yes, and yes. It's a stage spike, of course it's % dependent and of course the stronger the pikmin the more it hurts. Just tech it or roll right before he uses it. You'll get invincibility back and still be on the edge right when it matters.
Yup, thats what I thought. Just checking.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
This is to help with Fsmashing Wario out of a GR. Practice on BF using the platform. The height of the platform (and slightly above it) is tipper Fsmash range. Sometimes you'll send Wario backward, a SS will fix this.

This can be used as a visual aid or to obtain muscle memory (which I'm using it for both).

∫unk

Smash Master
nah theres like a little bit more on the reverse side if you try it with the code that shows hitboxes you can tell

marth's should use the broken middle hitbox on d-smash more it seems better than mk d-smash trajectory lol

also the super strong n-air hitbox but i know more people that use that... i haven't really seen anyone using the d-smash one

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
nah theres like a little bit more on the reverse side if you try it with the code that shows hitboxes you can tell

marth's should use the broken middle hitbox on d-smash more it seems better than mk d-smash trajectory lol

also the super strong n-air hitbox but i know more people that use that... i haven't really seen anyone using the d-smash one
If im not mistaken the trajectory that the middle of the hitbox is straightly upwards right? WTf no im mistaken. The Tipped Dsmash is the thing that sents you upwards. So somebody knows the trajectory of the middle hitbox?

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Dsmash has three hitboxes on the first hit:
Tip sends upwards and a bit to the side and is quite powerful
Normal has same/similar trajectory and is reasonably powerful, kills 130%-140%
Foot hitbox sends sideways at a reasonably low angle. It seems more powerful than fsmash/Dolphin Slash

Dogg/Naoki/Suzaku

Smash Apprentice
How do I ledge cancel (if that's what it's called) and how do I use dolphin slash out of MK's tornado? I'm not sure if you have to DI up and up b =\ Also, how do I do that mikehaze thingy? The thing where he does nair->walking/sliding back and forth. Whenever I do it, I always fsmash in the other direction.

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
How do I ledge cancel (if that's what it's called) and how do I use dolphin slash out of MK's tornado? I'm not sure if you have to DI up and up b =\ Also, how do I do that mikehaze thingy? The thing where he does nair->walking/sliding back and forth. Whenever I do it, I always fsmash in the other direction.
Well For now I'll answer your "mikeHAZe thingy" question. First you must be using GC and set your attack button to L, R or Z button. Whichever you prefer. Now:

"If you hold A (or any other attack button, if any) , walk and push the c-stick in a 45 degree back-up direction (requires C-stick set to smash), your character will spin 360 degrees, while still maintaining his forward velocity, and if you do this in the right pace your character will be continously spinning.

You can do the same attacks out of this as you can a normal walk. If you press the c-stick too much up, you will start a dash, if you press the c-stick too much back, you will start charging a fsmash in that direction."

Props to Suasa for the being the original creator.

Ciro67

Smash Cadet
What mid-low tier characters do well against Marth?

I was thinking Sonic, but then I found out it's strongly in Marth's favour. Pokemon Trainer just gets owned due to Marth's range. Jigglypuff's approaches are ruined by the range and Marth has decent ways of killing vertically making her lightness a bigger problem. Ike is easily punished.

I thought about it a lot and it came to this - I think Bowser and Zelda do well and will beat a lot of Marth's since hardly any have experience in the matchups.

What do you all think of all of this and who does good/bad?

Duskshadow

Smash Apprentice
Marths hardest low tier match up is probably Link.
Hardest mid tier match up?
He goes close to even with Donkey Kong, ROB, Wolf and imo Kirby.
I can't believe I found someone else who agrees with me on the Kirby match up. I definitely think Marth goes even with Kirby.

Anyway, my question is, are there any useful options after forward throwing Kirby, besides a possible neutral air, or forward air?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Anyone have a list of characters that Marth can dthrow Dsmash? I know who he can fthrow > fsmash, but I've almost completely abandoned the dthrow version so I forgot who he can actually do it against....

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Anyone have a list of characters that Marth can dthrow Dsmash? I know who he can fthrow > fsmash, but I've almost completely abandoned the dthrow version so I forgot who he can actually do it against....
It should be in the combo thread Take made...

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
against a good sonic don't get punished so aguably bait and DON'T LEAVE LAG OPEN

D3 nair DB and try not to get grabed lol

Top Bottom