• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Someone wanna go into detail on SDI for me? I always thought it was just tapping a direction on the stick as fast as you could. If so, then what's quarter circle SDI and stuff?
First off, it's quarter-circle DI. QCDI is another aspect of DI, dealing with the trajectory of the character. For more read up on swordgard's guide to DI.

You want to SDI DB4 Green up and to the direction away from Marth, meaning tap in the NE direction.

-Stud

Smash Rookie
How much should I be rolling and spot dodging?
I use it A LOT in my matches, but I watched a couple of mike haze videos and he RARELY rolls or spotdodges, if he does, at most it's 1-3 times a match.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Shielding and spacing are almost always the best defensive mechanisms you have, use them for the most part, especially because marth has such good OOS options.

-Stud

Smash Rookie
For spacing, am I supose to be spacing for my fairs, jabs, tilts, or smashes to tipper? That's something I don't really get. I always try to space but then I always get hit by projectiles or snakes ftilt. I just don't get that part of marth :/

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
All of the above, but aerials are the most important. Ultimately it depends on the situation.

Aerials are your primary zoning tools, so you'll be aiming to miss with them a lot, particularly fair and nair, though nair is your safest killing option.

Smashes are punishment for the most part, none of Marth's smashes are safe on shield, so your objective with them is they tipper when you read you opponent or after they hit shield.

Tilts... generally don't use ftilt, up-tilt is punishment and control (it's best hitbox for killing is not a tipper though), dtilt you're gonna be poking with, though keep in mind that you have more frame advantage non-tippered.

Jab isn't really something you should be spacing for, it's more of a defensive move.

Honestly, best idea, post a vid of your marth for critique.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Adum you can't forget to mention Marth's invicibilty and options out of a roll are generally not that great anyway!

-Stud

Smash Rookie
Is marth just really bad on wifi or am I just playing him wrong? I hardly ever win and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right and I don't know what I can do better. And my Marth Critique vid has been up for a while and no one ever critiqued it D: So if someone get's the chance could they critique my marth by watching the vid or playing me?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
^^^spam the cool kids on aim until they do it

And yes, Marth is really bad on wifi. I'm also sure that there is plenty that you could do to improve.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Marth is bad on wifi on a terrible connection.* However, you can get a lot accomplished on a more than decent connection.

Reizilla

Is there a guide on how to platform cancel or something? link, please?

majinvegeta010688

Smash Apprentice
when someone refers to ISJR what are they refering to and where can i learn more about it

i saw this for the first time in the metagame thread and have no idea what it means so could someone please help me

Rad

Smash Ace
I was playing some friendlies with Shaya yesterday and he showed me that you can b-reverse Dancing Blade out of dash... then he had to go. What do I use it for? I feel like something really obvious flew right over my head. Is it like another creative way to dodge and punish an opponent's approach?

Thanks

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
when someone refers to ISJR what are they refering to and where can i learn more about it

i saw this for the first time in the metagame thread and have no idea what it means so could someone please help me
It's a very difficult AT to master, and not very useful either (for Marth anyway).
To learn more about ti refer here.

Reizilla

I was playing some friendlies with Shaya yesterday and he showed me that you can b-reverse Dancing Blade out of dash... then he had to go. What do I use it for? I feel like something really obvious flew right over my head. Is it like another creative way to dodge and punish an opponent's approach?

Thanks
That's one way to do it. Another way is as a cross up, say if someone is trying to jump over you, you can run under them and then reverse it. Try it out and see what works.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Its obviously the best thing ever since sliced bread.

Think of it like this:

Theres Marths pivot grab.
Which is 9 frames.
Which is good and all, pretty manly and definitely has its uses.

Then theres marth grounded b-reverse dancing blade.
Which is 4 frames.
Has less cooldown.
And has more range, more disjoint, and on average more damage if it connects.

-

As I was saying to you at the time, its pretty much just giving Marth the ability to turn around and dancing blade after he starts running (i.e. the first 17 frames of his dash before he starts running). As you saw, if you try to do a turning around dancing blade during your run without b-reversing it, you will just do that ugly turn around laggy crap (without the slash slash part, obviously).

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
What are the mechanics of marths dancing blade spike? I've sorta decided to pick up marth as my secondary and have been trying to find out some of his little tricksies and such. I experimented with the DB spike (third hit green right?) and trying to find ways to execute it on unsuspecting foes. I've attempted doing it off the stage on a recovering opponent, waiting on the edge and using it while they approach, and thats about it, but it's spectacularly hard to do.

Try not to write me off as a scrub, I do realize that if it was really worth doing then mikeHaze would already be doing it lol but I'm really just trying to see what I can do with it. I mean, marth has 3 spikes at his disposal, and I've only ever seen 1 of them being implemented in tournament play. There's got to be a way to unlock the potential of the others.

In fact, that's my new mission. Find out how to use marths 2 other spikes effectively and consistantly. All you nay sayers just watch!!!

And the mechanics of it, where does it spike, how hard does it spike, what is the timing. that kinda stuff. Thanks guys!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I recommend you don't even bother learning the mechanics behind it, it's really that useless and takes up unnecessary amounts of brainspace.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, brainspace.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
It's really THAT bad?

How about something like this. Lets say that your fair is diminished, you know they will air dodge a bair. Couldn't you do a rising DB, so that the upwards momentum lifts you up and closer in order to use the third hit. First DB hit is airdodged, second hit stuns and then third hit spikes? It's a little ridiculous I know but there must be a way to use it... or maybe used on a vertically recovering foe, run off, momentum stall with side b, and time third hit to make contact as they rise. Then reverse B recover? Or maybe Fthrow near the edge into DB spike?

And what about his Utilt? I know that one is situational but is it completely useless as well?

I'm going to go home and try these methods, if I can record any of this happening, then I demand an audience with the intelligent Marth players who can help apply it to real play!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It's not bad necessarily, it's an option and options are always good. The point is that you should always have better options. The spike is weak enough for enough except for DK perhaps (lulz) to recover, and if you manage to perform half a dancing blade on an opponent in that situation, don't you think you would have had been better off just using down tilt?

Example: in the situation you gave, you are predicting an airdodge. You can punish an airdodge with most of your arsenal, why would you prefer a mediocre spike over bair/nair/usmash/dair (lulz)?

I don't want to discourage experimenting, but I'd rather you save yourself the time and just improve your game on other levels (not saying you suck or whatever, there's always room for improvement).

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
No I understand. Thats actually why i asked about the spike, becuase I didn't know how powerful it was. If it was this crazy 'dead at 0%' spike that was just notoriously hard to land, then I would insist it's worth learning to use, but if it's really not even a strong spike to begin with, then I understand.

The reason I would prefer the DB spike over dair is that a dair off the stage (with significant distance off stage) would make it impossible to recover. The point would be to stall your descent while at the same time spiking the opponent, then turning around and recovering. Furthermore, a bair, nair, or fair, if diminished, would just knock them further up in the air a lot of the times, and as a result they would just be attempting to recover again. Although I know marth is a fantastic ledge guard, I find it quite worth it to try and find a way to prevent them recovering at all.

I understand what you're saying, and I trust what you're saying, but for the sake of discovery, I'm going to go ahead and attempt some new stuff, mostly cause I don't have enough experimenting going on to begin with.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Good luck to you, Jurassic Park dude!

Question!

Is true/small pivoting essential for a Marth to learn? I Foxtrot a lot in my game, and pivoting would be nice, no? (Especially since I use C-stick for aerials, set to regular attacks)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well foxtrot vs dashing is more mindgames and offensive options vs less offensive options and shielding. Small pivoting has not proven to be worth learning as of yet for Marth. However, if you are able to master it, you pull up a whole different level of offensive options as you could easily, foxtrot and small pivot behind the opponent and start pressuring with an extremely safe move such as dtilt. The only down side is that the opponent can just throw out a move and you won't be able to shield it.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
however both can be baited, if you have decent shield left DS oos nado works well this only works on teh ground though for obvious reasons, but don't get baited either although MY favorite way of dealing with nado is counter

-Cross-

Smash Ace
f-smash is also a reliable method for beating nado.

Falco if done perfectly can CG Marth and he can not get out with DS. Does anybody know to what %'s Marth can be CG'd?

Reizilla

If done perfectly, Falco can get one regrab and follow it up with a dair -> tech chase, or with the gatling combo or whatever it's called.

Top Bottom