• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah it does ;) Just keep in mind that for both Fsmash and SB, Marth will move forward a bit, so don't release SB too early unless you're spaced, or else his fsmash might hit you since you leaned forward and may outprioritize your move.

The range that you would stand outside of a Marth's fsmash would be about the same distance as his roll.

Lol just realized, that if he happens to shield the SB, his shield would break anyway XD.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Awesome. Now I just need to work on my spacing.

Edit: (didn't want to double post) Does uair outrange dair?

Radiant Howl

Smash Rookie
I plan on picking up Marth to help my main on his more worse matchups.

What are some playstyles or tips I could use aganist the top and higher tiered characters? (Not metaknight)

Gah777

Smash Lord
I plan on picking up Marth to help my main on his more worse matchups.

What are some playstyles or tips I could use aganist the top and higher tiered characters? (Not metaknight)
Well a lot of times you can use fair as an approach and DB as a punisher. Try not to overuse fsmash since it can be predictable. In general try not to be predictable, and get used to Marth's spacing (tipper range).

ViCTORiOUSViC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
vmp5511
BUT
On Snake, you may want to use Dtilt most of the time and make juggle traps
Approaching Snake on ground with Fair can be risky when he has a grenade on him

Gah777

Smash Lord
BUT
On Snake, you may want to use Dtilt most of the time and make juggle traps
Approaching Snake on ground with Fair can be risky when he has a grenade on him
Good point.

I recomend going around to the different character discussion boards and do some research on charcters you're curious about. Find out how people who actually play that character feel, and what they think thier assets and weanesses are. You can also learn quite a bit by comparing matchup disscussions arcoss boards.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
No. The only thing you can do to cancel your momentum while DIing vertically is fastfalling. Csticking a dair is a fastfall (from frame 1 on, yes) so there's no point in not doing it (at higher percentages, it was noted earlier that doing so at low percentages gets your Dair punished).

Why would you jump when DIing vertically? Exactly, you don't.
You would jump when getting sent to the very corner, which is where good DI should often send you.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You would jump when getting sent to the very corner, which is where good DI should often send you.
It doesn't come down to that all the time. When getting hit by i.e. D3's utilt at the center of FD, you won't manage to get all the way to the corner. That was kind of the situation I'm referring to when talking about vertical DI. And really, when I get hit by D3's utilt the last thing I'd do is jumping on my way up.

Just saying.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm not understand why you need to jump. May be I'm not reading your guys' post right. Can you clarify?

And just to be exact, the corners are right next to the Blast Zone lol XD. I know what you mean though.

"Awesome. Now I just need to work on my spacing.

Edit: (didn't want to double post) Does uair outrange dair?"

Hard to say, as it really depends what position you are in, and whether or not you're right below/above or slightly to the side. It also depends on how fast both of you are falling, or when you initiate the attack, etc.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Jumping gives you control of your character. The bad part about that with Marth as opposed to, say, DK, is that Marth's 2nd jump is super important in recovering.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey victoriousivc, i'm happy for you, and ima let you finish, but it's really hard to say. Again, depends on when you start each attack... we need specific conditions to find answers to these kinds of things ;).

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
I had been a habitual roller for quiet a while but now I feel I have gotten it down to a minimum in my games. However I still roll around enough sometimes to as where I get frowned upon by some people. My question is: Are there times where rolling is necessary or should I just concentrate on dropping it from my game completely?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I had been a habitual roller for quiet a while but now I feel I have gotten it down to a minimum in my games. However I still roll around enough sometimes to as where I get frowned upon by some people. My question is: Are there times where rolling is necessary or should I just concentrate on dropping it from my game completely?
Just a hint, when you've learned to use roll as a conditional option and less as a form of movement, you're making progress.
Overall for marth though you should probably minimize how much you roll, your aerial movement + fair and all that is pretty mad safe to begin with, and marth's rolls are pretty bad :p

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
"Don't get hit.

Try to avoid having to play a MK or Snake in tourney. LOLLL"

You took my words ;).

Yes, simply don't get hit! If they're cornering you off the stage, you can try to get past them by running etc to the other side so you have space to space. Good players may block you from getting to the other side, but it's still effective.

Or, even use the highly debated strategy of planking :).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Fight snake, try to outcamp him or force him to approach. Get 3 stocked. Realize that sitting back is gettin u ***** by nades.

Yet this is the strategy I employed to beat Ken Neth at Genesis and one match off Hall at Evo (having 2 very close matches at another tournament with me also using this strat). No ***** by Nades, no 3 stocks.

It may not be the most effective strategy against Snake; but it has given me matches against well known/good ones.

Don't listen to people who are like "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY".
Marth is a GOOD CHARACTER for a reason. He has OPTIONS COMING OUT OF HIS ***.

Gekoo

Smash Rookie
hmmm well im gonna try to play defensive....and if that dont work im gonna fair the **** out of the opponent :D

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Yet this is the strategy I employed to beat Ken Neth at Genesis and one match off Hall at Evo (having 2 very close matches at another tournament with me also using this strat). No ***** by Nades, no 3 stocks.

It may not be the most effective strategy against Snake; but it has given me matches against well known/good ones.

Don't listen to people who are like "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY".
Marth is a GOOD CHARACTER for a reason. He has OPTIONS COMING OUT OF HIS ***.
Exactly. Some people just like regurgitating information thats stated by someone that is proven to be good at the game and saying it is fact.. when it isn't

The only time i beat Neo (offensive marth.) is when i camp the holy **** out of him... If i aggro he tears me apart... do what works not whats suggested. Practice differing styles as one may work better vs one player than the next. You're not only playing characters in this game. I generally try to practice offense whenever i can, but I'm just better at defense naturally i guess... But It doesn't hurt for me to be good at both. What I'm saying is in a game you should be constantly adapting to your opponent-- even if that means changing your style during that game.

Top Bottom