• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Player-3

Smash Hero
cute like your avatar

/troll

really pivot grab infinite

hahahaha thats funny im gonna do that to a wario saturday after i finish my jigg dittos with biglu

then im going to play melee

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
my avatar is better!

i think i'm going to start doing that to my brother now. muahahahahaha

Reizilla

my avatar is better!

i think i'm going to start doing that to my brother now. muahahahahaha

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Umm..

I dont believe Marth has an infinite on wario purely by a pivot grab.

The Marth "infinite" on wario is pretty hard to do, and is extremely similar to Peach's.

It's a release grab, footstool, db1 to cancel the jump (only/fastest way Marth can), jab or something, force get up -> grab.

I thought only Ike had a 'infinite' on Wario from the aerial release though (Any involving a forced get up with a move allows Wario to SDI towards a ledge, eventually ending said 'infinite').

I could be wrong about Marth though.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
you can go ahead and try it. i was a bit skeptical at first

but i had my bro mash
every b vairation
every a variation
and jump
and if u run and pivot grab (which gives ur grab more vertical range) then u can pull it off.
i didnt think the timing was that hard tbh.

but idk ill try to do this on omniswell's wario in 2 weeks and see what happens, and if i can get vid too.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Punishment Divine,

I have a set with myself against a Diddy who USED to beat me.
I think it really covers how to zone diddy when you're able to (i.e. the whole bananas aren't completely in his control thing), and as I got ***** on smashville, hopefully you should be able to point out one of the minor differences (what I wasn't doing/doing wrong) that shifted the match so far.
You can then also see me obliterate the diddy on an uber marth counter pick stage... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwK0g5OhBpU Match 1 & 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1YV6AEUGQ Match 3

Talk to Pierce though, I'm sure he can send you some replays of him against ADHD.

You got to realise one of the most important things you need to be able to handle Diddy is that you need to be able to use Bananas/items at least at a standard level. I do a lot of glide toss setups reasonably fluently, and I generally am constantly zoning the diddys bananas so that he cant get to them and then using them against them when he gets hit away.
Also, trips are like normal techs, think of them that way. If you just constantly always do the same get up option from a trip, the diddy will take advantage of that. Mixing up rolling TOWARDS THEM or a get up attack can be exceptionally surprising, and because of Marth's good trip animation (for us) it makes Diddys setups hard for him.

And Peach... well... I unfortunately dont have any vids of me against a Peach uploaded... but I do get to play one everyonce in a while, who took out two of CO18's stock (I think it was CO18...) at genesis' crew battles. Maybe ill be able to get a vid or two in like 2 and a half weeks? :s

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Look out for your jumping habits.
If you're jumping too much, you'll get the ****.

You need to focus on when you jump in to go for aerials that you can actually GET THE HIT, or push back the spamus properly.
Power shielding projectiles, figuring out their zair habits to just outright beat them for it. Simple things like full hopping into a fast fall nair can put the spamus off.

Up throw and fthrow are pretty useful too. Treat it like you're playing a falco who isnt going to **** you with grabs and can't kill you. Oh.. and can ledge camp a bit...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Oh, good. Yeah, it's been making me angry, because I'd fight my brother and nearly win every time and end up losing the match. Thanks, Shaya.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Really Shaya v Tibs was terrible. So many whiffed ftilts, so little Z dropping/catching, so little fastfalling.

Shaya, what's up with that?

edit: Oh and whiffed utilts, work on that bro :X

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Planking is when someone grabs to the ledge while you're trying to also get to the ledge. If they correctly planked you then your up B attack (if your char has one) will not hit them because they'll be in the invinciblity of their ledge grab. This in turn causes you to fall to your death at the bottom death zone.

Anyone can plank, you just have to hang onto the ledge over and over as someone else is trying to do the same and make them fall. It's good if you successfully planked someone because you just took off one of their stocks. It's bad if you're getting planked because then you just lost a stock.

Its easier to happen at higher percents because you'll be knocked off farther forcing you to use your second jump and your Up B to recover to the ledge. But like I said, if someone is already on the ledge, waiting, and you Up B when they're invincible then you lost a stock.

Some characters are harder to plank than others. For example Lucario, he doesn't have an attack with his up B so if he goes for the ledge you can just hang there no matter if you're invincible or not because it won't work. But if you try to plank Meta Knight...well it doesn't work so easily. People with tether recoveries can also get planked very easily like Zero Suit Samus, Olimar and Ivysaur. You'll usually find these players trying to stall out your invincibility frames so they can hit you and still make it to the ledge.

"Planking is basically hopping on and off the ledge to abuse the invincibility granted when you grab the ledge. It is technically frowned upon by some players, but if you're playing for money, go for it.
This is it to my knowledge. Legal, but your friends'll probably get mad.

Also, if for any reason, CPUs are giving you trouble, and start calling you names, telling you to quit...Sell your Wii. It's haunted."

taken from: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/qna/928518.html?qid=17456

C.J.

Smash Master
errr, no
Planking is grabbing, then letting go, then regrabbing over and over again. Usually in an attempt to stall. Choose MK. Grab the ledge of a stage. drop down use your jumps so you stay "unhittable" then recover to the ledge again. Repeat.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yea, marth is really good at it. I use it in every match at every tournament. it makes players become impatient, it replenishes your shield if needed, and marth is very unpredictable with the ledgehopped airs (or just attacking while getting back onto the stage).

so yea
use it and abuse it.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
id do it against snake and ddd (but thats just me). but the others are very dangerous to plank against just as C.J. said. bad idea

Reizilla

um, there's absolutely no way this could work against a competent snake. he'd just sit back and murder you with grenades and maybe even a nakita. for ddd, falling bair stage spike?

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
i can understand mk since he can go under the stage to the opposite side faster than a lot of characters can run. but how exactly can you be unhittable? theres no way to maintain 100% invincibility and marth is fodder for edgehoggers and good gimpers.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Really Shaya v Tibs was terrible. So many whiffed ftilts, so little Z dropping/catching, so little fastfalling.

Shaya, what's up with that?

edit: Oh and whiffed utilts, work on that bro :X
whiffed ftilts? whats an ftilt?

I like Marth's glide toss set ups.

fast falling onto a land of bananas?

not all moves have to hit... oh lord :embarrass
I'm not going for accuracy when I can go for "limit options, so if he takes it, hes screwed, if he doesnt im still good"

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
with its huge horizontal range above Marth's head?
the range infront of him with longer range than first hit of his nair?

Is marth's longest lasting hitbox...
Covers people jumping above your head, airdodges, etc, quite well
has reasonable kill power...

Lord Chair

Smash Master
with its huge horizontal range above Marth's head?
the range infront of him with longer range than first hit of his nair?

Is marth's longest lasting hitbox...
Covers people jumping above your head, airdodges, etc, quite well
has reasonable kill power...
Uuuh I am aware of all of utilts properties.

Still, I'd prefer to use something else when simply standing next to my opponent. If I were to expect a spotdodge I'd punish it with something better.

Top Bottom